Total votes: 65

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Re: Poll: Simmons/Thybulle/? vs Oladipo, pick swaps and four 1sts 

Post#21 » by emunney » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:49 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
buckbeer wrote:
emunney wrote:Cleveland did alright here to get Allen for our '22 pick.

Cavs also got Taurean Prince along with Allen for our 1st round pick, Prince could replace Osman as their starting SF.
Prince isn't even a rotation player in this league. He looks the part but he is a train wreck on D and doesn't give you much on O either.

And he is getting 29m this year and next.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Just in case somebody reads this as Prince getting 29m/ year: he's getting 25m total.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#22 » by chonestown » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 pm

buckboy wrote:Oladipo isn't better than Simmons. Come on.

Having said that, I'd probably take the Nets package. Those later picks could be huge

Durant looks great at the moment, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a catastrophic injury.

Kyrie is well-acquainted with the IR list.

Harden could drop 40 until he's 40 or fall prey to ye Olde Country Buffet.

Betting on this becoming a KG-Pierce situation is a reasonable hedge.

Simmons seems destined to be the deluxe version of Derrick McKey, Kirilenko, etc. You want him on your team, but you don't want to build around him.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,808

Post#23 » by tydett » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Gimme LeVert, Allen, Prince and 3 picks over either Oladipo and 4 or Simmons/pick
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#24 » by Mtsportsfan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:39 pm

I voted Philly , atleast for the first couple of years the draft picks from the nets are going to be in the high twenty's , kind of a crap shoot there. Not a big fan of Simmons but it would have been interesting to see him in the lead type roll.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#25 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:54 pm

The Nets are like some sales departments I've worked with.

Harden is the classic party all the time, won't do the little **** like log into the CRM, will skip company wide meetings he doesn't feel are important. But blows his quota away every quarter so you don't care and you've given up on trying to manage years ago.

Durant is the high achiever who's mostly good to deal with but has thin skin and needs lots of constant praise.

Kyrie is the guy who lands huge deals so you keep him around but some quarters he doesn't sell ****. He questions everything, thinks he's mentoring the junior guys but they roll their eyes about him behind his back. Tons of personal drama that spills into work. You've had meetings about firing him but then he lands a big deal so you keep him around.

Jordan is the old sales guy who doesn't quite hit his numbers anymore but everyone likes him so you keep him around.

Dinwiddie is the dude who won't stop talking about crypto.
Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#26 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:58 pm

I don't think Simmons is anything to build around, but I do think he could be a ++ complimentary piece. I don't think Oladipo being "healthy again" is or ever will be a thing, so I think it comes down to how you feel about the Nets. Will Houston get good picks out of it or not?

I think I'd take the picks, because I feel like the Nets are going to blow up in plenty of time for them to become terrible and Houston to get a high pick or two. But it's not an easy choice IMO. I think ultimately they took the picks because they want to save money and Simmons doesn't exactly fit into that. No reason to spent $30-40M a year on a guy when you have a treadmill team at best.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#27 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Nets are like some sales departments I've worked with.

Harden is the classic party all the time, won't do the little **** like log into the CRM, will skip company wide meetings he doesn't feel are important. But blows his quota away every quarter so you don't care and you've given up on trying to manage years ago.

Durant is the high achiever who's mostly good to deal with but has thin skin and needs lots of constant praise.

Kyrie is the guy who lands huge deals so you keep him around but some quarters he doesn't sell ****. He questions everything, thinks he's mentoring the junior guys but they roll their eyes about him behind his back. Tons of personal drama that spills into work. You've had meetings about firing him but then he lands a big deal so you keep him around.

Jordan is the old sales guy who doesn't quite hit his numbers anymore but everyone likes him so you keep him around.

Dinwiddie is the dude who won't stop talking about crypto.
Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Gold Jerry. Pure gold. Spot on.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#28 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm

As usual it seems like, IMO, people overrate the low-yield expected value that is NBA draft picks. I'm not even that big of a Ben Simmons guy, but if the rumors are true that Philly offered Simmons, plus Thybulle, plus at least one 1st round pick, then that offer is loads better than what they accepted, and Fertitta indeed was stubbornly against sending him to Morey.

You're never going to win a championship with Ben Simmons as your best player, but he's still a 24-year old All-Defensive Team guy locked up on a 5-year extension. Even if you don't view him as a long term investment, he's more valuable as a trade asset to turn around and flip immediately then any collection of draft picks with as-of-yet completely undetermined value.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#29 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:41 pm

brettski wrote:In the right situation I view Simmons as Giannis lite. But still a really really good player you could build a team around. I'd have loved for the trade to go down to see how Simmons as the alpha would work. But in a vacuum I think Houston did really well.

I'm with ya. Houston would've been a bad spot for that experiment though.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#30 » by raferfenix » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Harden got rewarded for bad behavior during a deadly pandemic that successfully tanked his trade value to get him to his most desired destination.

It’s a loss for the league that this happened. Though I don’t know if Adam Silver much less the big market fluffers see it that way.

I also believe the report that Doc Rivers was wary about Harden. And I suspect Morey had misgivings after dealing with so much drama over the years too.

Ben Simmons could potentially be traded as part of a package for the next superstar who comes available as well. That one most likely won’t be as talented but also probably won’t have such serious issues with general decency — not to mention a $100 million 2 year extension as he enters his mid-30’s on the horizon.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#31 » by BucksFanSD » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:21 pm

It is possible the Rockets wanted Simmons included just to make up for the lost leverage given the situation, which yielded more draft compensation from Brooklyn.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#32 » by Siefer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

The secondary teams won this deal, imo. The Pacers probably made a lateral move on the court, but got younger, and a better salary situation. The Cavs got Allen for very cheap, and he's still only 22.

Brooklyn definitely has a high ceiling, but the implosion potential is terrifying. Houston was backed into trading a superstar which always sucks, but they took the $0.70 instead of the $0.80 deal. I would have taken the Simmons package, I think, and gone all in on the baby Giannis build-around. Simmons is a big with good playmaking and a good handle, not a PG.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,867

Post#33 » by Dick Tate » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:27 pm

If I were Houston, no way would I want a long term $30M+ salary slot going to a guard/wing who doesn't fit the offensive philosophy of the team. Much better to take the picks from a team that could blow apart well inside 3 years and a big expiring salary and see what can be added in the summer that better fits the team going forward.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#34 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Dick Tate wrote:If I were Houston, no way would I want a long term $30M+ salary slot going to a guard/wing who doesn't fit the offensive philosophy of the team. Much better to take the picks from a team that could blow apart well inside 3 years and a big expiring salary and see what can be added in the summer that better fits the team going forward.

With Harden gone, what even is the offensive philosophy of the team anymore?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#35 » by emunney » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:If I were Houston, no way would I want a long term $30M+ salary slot going to a guard/wing who doesn't fit the offensive philosophy of the team. Much better to take the picks from a team that could blow apart well inside 3 years and a big expiring salary and see what can be added in the summer that better fits the team going forward.

Wall/Wood pick and rolls.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#36 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 pm

Went back and forth on this. Voted now for Simmons.

Think it plausible that over the next 5-7 years Simmons is a more impactful player than Harden (due to the age difference).

And of the assets available in these trades, Simmons is/was the best one. That said, I can see Fertitta not trading with Morey. Can also see Fertitta wanting to bottom out for lotto picks.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#37 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Wood chucking up shots to fill his empty stats quota while they finish near the bottom of the west?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#38 » by AussieBuck » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 pm

Would usually take the Simmons kinda side here but I'm fairly certain the Nets thing is going to blow up badly and some of those picks could be very valuable whenever the last remaining star bails on them to take one last supermax deal at the Knicks.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#39 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Went back and forth on this. Voted now for Simmons.

Think it plausible that over the next 5-7 years Simmons is a more impactful player than Harden (due to the age difference).

And of the assets available in these trades, Simmons is/was the best one. That said, I can see Fertitta not trading with Morey. Can also see Fertitta wanting to bottom out for lotto picks.

Rockets just wanted to shed salary while looking like they got a player in return. When your owner is losing all his money because restraints are going under, you convince yourself to take the deal for the draft picks but it was really to shed the salary.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#40 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 pm

You could still easily bottom out for lottery picks after taking that Philly package though. You're not gonna plop Ben Simmons onto that roster and magically turn into a playoff team. You let Wall and Wood put up their empty stats and sell them off after you're done swapping picks with OKC. Probably just gonna have to eat Gordon's contract, but there's really no point in having cap room anyways now that you're not a contender.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks