ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,567

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1 

Post#521 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:45 pm

I'd love to have Bruno here, he actually makes some sense too.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#522 » by zilby » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
T-d0t wrote:
zilby wrote:Minor sell trade at the deadline assuming we're ready to go into asset collection mode and enter a medium-term rebuild:

Norman Powell + Chris Boucher to Denver for Gary Harris + DEN protected 2021 FRP
Protection: Top 25, if DEN does not convey then the obligation then becomes DEN 2023 + 2024 SRP

Raptors:
- collect picks and cash in on Chris Boucher's excellent start to the season and Norm's (potentially) expiring contract
- Take a flier on Gary Harris, who has been maddeningly inconsistent throughout his career and is essentially completely ignored within Denver's system, BUT he's only 26 and could rebuild his value enough on a team such as ours where he'll actually get shots. Assuming he manages to revive himself even a little, he becomes an asset to trade in the offseason or the next deadline for another return. At worst, he expires and you let him leave. At best, he's a potential piece or trade asset

Nuggets:
- Shores up their depth which has been a huge issue this season (Denver has been historic levels of terrible when Jokic sits, lineups struggle to create)
- Boucher fills a much-needed role of shooting, athleticism, defense and shotblocking that they lost with Jerami Grant's departure off the bench or potentially in some lineups next to Jokic
- Norm's production can offset enough of the void left by Harris' depature and gives them either an added playmaker and 6th man if you start Barton, or perhaps you elevate Monte Morris to the starting 5 since he and Murray play really well together

Denver's potential new depth chart:
Murray/Morris
Barton/Powell
Porter/Dozier
Millsap/Green
Jokic/Boucher

A Denver poster came on here offering Boucher for their 2021 1st. I'd rather just make that simple swap if possible, don't need Harris.

I would think Boucher still needs to produce a bit longer (more sample size) before him being considered for a 1st rd pick but its a good sign

hasn't Gary Harris been injury prone and is similar to Norman Powell in terms of production? and unreliable. he's only 1 year younger than Powell and is making 20M next year. ya if the Raps want a significant player on the FA market, can't have Harris hanging around.

Definitely agree with both of you that if Boucher can be swapped for an FRP outright (and Denver has a TPE that they can absorb him), you do that in a heartbeat and don’t even consider. That being said, I also agree that Boucher does not have enough of a sample size to warrant an FRP on his own, which is why you add Powell and Harris to the equation.

It’s been a couple of things with Harris, he’s had a few really solid years but has also dealt with injuries, and with the emergence of all three of Murray Jokic and Porter, he’s essentially gone from being a second/third option on offense to fifth at times. If we’re firmly headed for a rebuild, I would expect Masai to shift on 2021 FA and look to instead create a max slot for 2022 when we’ve restocked the cupboard a little more, in which case we don’t really need the 2021 capspace.

Beyond all that, he still is only 26 and you’d bank on our development and coaching to revive his game enough that he can eventually be flipped for more assets. Best case scenario, he becomes that 16/4/4 guy with great perimeter defense again and perhaps you consider re-upping him if everything goes absolutely perfect. Upside is that he proves he still has enough to help a playoff team and you trade him. Downside is he does none of the above and you let him expire.

Either way, at Norm’s current rate of play, I’m not sure he’ll get you much on his own, and Boucher needs more of a sample size to be truly worth that. It’s sort of lumping in copper with some silver, but Denver needs the depth and they can afford it, and not sure many more trade targets make sense than Boucher. If they can offset the loss of Harris with Powell I think that’s enticing enough for them to pull the trigger.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,160

Post#523 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 pm

I think a Dinwiddie/Powell swap kind of makes sense. Nets get a guy for this year, we get a guy in a good deal for next year who in theory would look solid beside FVV
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#524 » by douggood » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I think a Dinwiddie/Powell swap kind of makes sense. Nets get a guy for this year, we get a guy in a good deal for next year who in theory would look solid beside FVV

dinwiddie has a player option, and the market expects him to opt out and go for the fvv / brogdon contract.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#525 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 pm

douggood wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I think a Dinwiddie/Powell swap kind of makes sense. Nets get a guy for this year, we get a guy in a good deal for next year who in theory would look solid beside FVV

dinwiddie has a player option, and the market expects him to opt out and go for the fvv / brogdon contract.

**** didn’t know that - would still do the deal if they threw in a 2nd for the simple fact it would open up playing time and in the chance he doesn’t opt out I think he’s a better player than Norm is.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#526 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:04 pm

How can we get one of 17 Cleveland centres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#527 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 pm

We should cut Mcaw and Harris and immediately sign Thon and Bruno. Then dump Baynes at the deadline. Let KL expire and move Norm to Memphis for Brooks.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#528 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
douggood wrote:

**** didn’t know that - would still do the deal if they threw in a 2nd for the simple fact it would open up playing time and in the chance he doesn’t opt out I think he’s a better player than Norm is.

Spencer Dinwiddie has a torn ACL. Not sure why we'd be moving Powell for a player who can't even play.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,426

Post#529 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:24 pm

Vlade Divac wrote:How can we get one of 17 Cleveland centres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh. No point.

If we're going to acquire a C, I'd rather it be someone who's going be here long term.

Can't see the Cavs giving up Allen after just getting him and getting Drummond would mean moving out $30M in salary which we do not have to spare for a one year rental at the moment.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#530 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:22 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
douggood wrote:dinwiddie has a player option, and the market expects him to opt out and go for the fvv / brogdon contract.

Spencer Dinwiddie has a torn ACL. Not sure why we'd be moving Powell for a player who can't even play.

1) Dinwiddie would be a better player next year.
2) opens up time for other guys
3) taaaaaaaank
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,817

Post#531 » by SaveTheHens » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 am

We should have some chats with Cleveland, they have too many of what we have too few. Id love to bring in Kevin Love from an offensive standpoint, what we really need is someone who rotates over well. Its why our defence sucks right now, the perimeter does what it can but no one down low is stopping the driver, except for Boucher who we cant play against big bigs yet. So if the K Love scouting report is that he can still play pretty decent rotation defence I'd take him, I think we'd be a pretty sweet team if he settled into his role. Otherwise I'd take another one of their bigs too instead, we need a big big that can rotate over and contest without fouling or giving open layups.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,195

Post#532 » by NBJ13 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:05 am

Stanimal the zone breaker
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,613

Post#533 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 am

Will Masai/Bobby make any moves this season? Or are they actually in for the tank.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#534 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Will Masai/Bobby make any moves this season? Or are they actually in for the tank.

If they're onboard for the tank, Kyle should be traded before the deadline for the best rebuilding asset that we can get. Norm should be dealt as well, but that's more so he doesn't opt in, he's not really helping or hurting us either way. I'd also consider moving Boucher if you can sell high and get a late-lotto pick or better for him in this draft.
baller16
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,548

Post#535 » by baller16 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:28 am

WaltFrazier wrote:Will Masai/Bobby make any moves this season? Or are they actually in for the tank.

Knowing Masai, the trades are probably going down right before the deadline. I can't remember the last time he did an early season trade since the Rudy Gay one
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#536 » by YelloC » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:36 am

I wouldn’t mind picking up Larry Nance for the right price.
He would upgrade our 4/5 immediately but is more of a 4.
Powell for Nance would probably be the main pieces. Maybe try to poach Porter who would be a big SG that this team sorely lacks. Plus I feel like Kyle would help this guy reach his potential.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#537 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:55 am

baller16 wrote:

Knowing Masai, the trades are probably going down right before the deadline. I can't remember the last time he did an early season trade since the Rudy Gay one

the Rudy Gay trade was made because the team was playing like garbage... just like we are now, so hopefully he doesn't wait until then. Masai was also ready to deal Kyle for Shumpert and a 1st and go into full rebuild mode, and would have if Dolan didn't step in and save our franchise.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#538 » by ash_k » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:11 pm

alpngso wrote:people mentioning Maker and Bruno as option makes me really depressed about the state Raptors are in right now

You are witnessing the development & the rise of 27/28 years old Chris Boucher..what makes you think Thon Maker at 23 yrs old cannot eventually get to CB25's level, at worst, at some point?
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#539 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Boucher is oy getting better. No way we trade him. He is good for another five years...

We need to cash in on Lowry and norm, who don't have a future in our retool year....

That's where the focus needs to be come trade deadline for masai and Bobby
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#540 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:38 pm

if only the Raptors had a superstar. we have the role players to fit around them so nicely.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.

Return to Toronto Raptors