ImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Re: Around the League 

Post#41 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:06 am

Lamelo with a triple double. Man hes looking legit. Wish we picked a little higher this year.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#42 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:43 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Lamelo with a triple double. Man hes looking legit. Wish we picked a little higher this year.

People were so hung up on his shooting, but his elite ball handling/court vision/passing/playmaking/positional size all suggested he was going to be a quality player in this league. Shooting while very important, but gets WAYYYY too overrated today.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#43 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 am

thesack12 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:Lamelo with a triple double. Man hes looking legit. Wish we picked a little higher this year.

People were so hung up on his shooting, but his elite ball handling/court vision/passing/playmaking/positional size all suggested he was going to be a quality player in this league. Shooting while very important, but gets WAYYYY too overrated today.

He also got quite a bit of hate due to his last name. His game reminds me of a young Jason Kidd.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#44 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:10 am

Lamelo should've been the #1 pick imo. I said teams would make more mistakes than usual because of lack of information due to the whole covid 19 situation.

It was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to go all in in this class like Weaver did. We got luck with Bey but Hayes and Stewart are looking very bad. The 2nd rounder also is not looking good, especially if you consider we paid 3.5 mil in raw cap space to acquire him.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#45 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm

vege wrote:Lamelo should've been the #1 pick imo. I said teams would make more mistakes than usual because of lack of information due to the whole covid 19 situation.

It was (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to go all in in this class like Weaver did. We got luck with Bey but Hayes and Stewart are looking very bad. The 2nd rounder also is not looking good, especially if you consider we paid 3.5 mil in raw cap space to acquire him.

2nd rounder got a few minutes of playing time. Looks lightning quick, had 2 steals that I remember, drew a charge, got into the lane in a blink of an eye, fearless.

He showed more in those few minutes than I had seen from Hayes in his 7 games. Hold your horses on that one.

Stewart is a corner 3 away from being very good. He shoots free throws well, or did in college. I think he could develop that.

He's not a jumper so the pick and roll maybe isnt for him? But if he can become a pick and pop for a 3 guy like Baynes, that would be fun.

For guys who actually play hard and clearly have a skill or two that can get them playing time, they can develop. Hayes problem he was bad at everything, so what can he build on or why should he play? Stewart and Saben Lee both immediately pop out as bench guys at least. And maybe they stay 6th 7th 8th men. But they deserve those minutes. Hayes did not deserve any minutes, so he was in a different category, for me at least.
vege
RealGM

Post#46 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Stewart is a corner 3 away from being very good. He shoots free throws well, or did in college. I think he could develop that.

Sorry, no. He fumbled every single pass players tried to throw at him so far, and I am dead serious, he didn't catch a single one. He lack any kind of skills to finish.

We are not watching the same player if you think all he need to do to be good is develop a corner 3. He is bad. He has a lot of energy, sure, but so does Naz Reid who was undrafted and is more skilled than Stewart.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#47 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:20 pm

vege wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:Stewart is a corner 3 away from being very good. He shoots free throws well, or did in college. I think he could develop that.

Sorry, no. He fumbled every single pass players tried to throw at him so far, and I am dead serious, he didn't catch a single one. He lack any kind of skills to finish.

We are not watching the same player if you think all he need to do to be good is develop a corner 3. He is bad. He has a lot of energy, sure, but so does Naz Reid who was undrafted and is more skilled than Stewart.

Man you really gotta be more patient, these kids are so far from finished products.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#48 » by jakebernat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:23 pm

harden to the nets, oh boy. what a year this must be for bruce brown lol.
ven412
Starter
And1: 40

Post#49 » by ven412 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:32 pm

How many basketballs do they play with in Brooklyn?
vege
RealGM

Post#50 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 pm

MotownMadness wrote:these kids are so far from finished products.

That's exactly what I said. Stewart is not a corner 3 away from being decent. He is awful. I hope he develop and I hope he adds a lot more than a corner 3 to his game.
vege
RealGM

Post#51 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm

ven412 wrote:How many basketballs do they play with in Brooklyn?

I hope they somehow add Ben Simmons to that team, that way they'd add the 4 players I despise the most in the league.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#52 » by bstein14 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:41 pm

Pacers send out VO, who I think was as good as gone this summer anyways. Will be interesting to see how he meshes with Wall and Wood in Houston.

I think Nets now have to be heavy favorites to win it all unless another contender is able to add an all-star without giving up much.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#53 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm

bstein14 wrote:Pacers send out VO, who I think was as good as gone this summer anyways. Will be interesting to see how he meshes with Wall and Wood in Houston.

I think Nets now have to be heavy favorites to win it all unless another contender is able to add an all-star without giving up much.

Wall is obviously a high level playmaker/passer and Dipo is solid in that regard as well. Wood will be fine.

LeVert is a really nice pick up for Indiana, especially considering Dipo had 1 foot already out the door.

Personally, I'm not so sure about Brooklyn. None of Durant/Harden/Kyrie are all that great off the ball. Not sure, how all that is going to work out. One thing it does do however, is make Bruce Brown the perfect complimentary piece for them. Neither Harden or Kyrie is going to scare anybody with their defense, but Brown can be plugged in and check the opposing team's best perimeter player and won't be concerned with getting his hands on the ball offensively.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#54 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 pm

I think the Rockets would have been better off with Lavert instead of Dipo. I really like that move for the Pacers.

Man, that’s a big gamble for the Nets. That could look like the last time they gave up their first rounders forever.

Granted Harden is not the same as old Pierce/KG, but still, that’s 3 high usage stars who don’t play defense, especially not post KD injury. Depth is pretty well thrashed too.

We’ll see...
thesack12
RealGM

Post#55 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:35 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

He also got quite a bit of hate due to his last name. His game reminds me of a young Jason Kidd.

Good point. It seemed like some people were treating Lavar Ball like he was the boogeyman or something and wrote off Melo because they didn't want to have him around/in the team's media presence. However, admittedly I don't pay as much attention to such things as some other do, but it does seem like ever since Lonzo got traded to the Pelicans Lavar hasn't been nearly as vocal or visual as he was prior.

Either way, someone's father or his brother's perceived label of being a bust shouldn't have been factors in how high up a prospect gets placed on a team's draft board.

Kidd played with more physicality than Melo does, but that could have just been a difference in the styles of play in each other's eras. Still, I think that is a good comparison. They both have very similar skillsets, and I do think Melo can reach Kidd's caliber of a player.
vege
RealGM

Post#56 » by vege » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 pm

Snakebites wrote: Depth is pretty well thrashed too.

We’ll see...

There are some decent veterans without a team, they could sign Kyle O'Quinn or Dewayne Dedmon to backup DeAndre Jordan. The rest of their bench is ok.
vege
RealGM

Post#57 » by vege » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:28 am

I feel bad for Curry, the team around him is awful and they're so dumb and he is playing hard and trying. Wiggins and Kelly Oubre are talented but their bbiq is so bad.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#58 » by ducler » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 am

LOL @ Drummond putting up 33/23/3/2/2 right after Cavs trade for Allen
vege
RealGM

Post#59 » by vege » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:15 am

ducler wrote:LOL @ Drummond putting up 33/23/3/2/2 right after Cavs trade for Allen

Remind me of his games after the all star snubs
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#60 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:13 am

Snakebites wrote:I think the Rockets would have been better off with Lavert instead of Dipo. I really like that move for the Pacers.

This has aged poorly given the health issue that has come about.

Hope the guy ends up being okay and that it's nothing too serious. Always scary to see something like that.

Return to Detroit Pistons