Wolves Tried To Trade Out Of No. 1 Even While On The Clock

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Wolves Tried To Trade Out Of No. 1 Even While On The Clock 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Gersson Rosas had a difficult decision to make with the No. 1 pick as the top two prospects, James Wiseman and LaMelo Ball, play the same positions as the Minnesota Timberwolves franchise cornerstones in Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell. Minnesota selected Anthony Edwards, who made more sense for the team due to his positional need.

"If he had drafted either Wiseman or Ball, he would have crowded either one of those guys who can block vote against him, frankly," said Brian Windhorst. "He tried like hell for months to get out of that No. 1 pick. All the way up until draft night. In fact, the story I've heard, even on the clock he was trying to posture that he was going to take Wiseman in an effort to get the Warriors, who wanted Wiseman really bad, to swap with him and give him his draft pick back."

Wiseman specifically avoided working out for the Wolves, presumably due to the presence of Towns.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Re: Wolves Tried To Trade Out Of No. 1 Even While On The Clock 

Post#2 » by hyberx » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Comparing the rookies so far, I'd take Wiseman over Edwards any day.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Yet another example of the #1 pick being a blessing and a curse.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#4 » by The_Hater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:25 pm

If they deemed that Ball and Russell play the same position, that was a mistake. Russell has okayed plenty of SG throughout his career and Ball is playing a ton of SF with the Bobcat right now, a team that starts 2 PG’s.

Either way, drafting for need is always the wrong direction at the top of the draft. Draft the best player and it will either work itself out or you trade that now valuable player for that better fit.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,060

Post#5 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:35 pm

edwards isnt garbage and they have towns, so like they say, a broken clock is right twice a day. :lol: take the W and build from here.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:36 pm

maybe i'm looking at it too simply, but if you're looking to trade the #1 pick that means you don't like any player.

and if you don't like any player then why draft a player for fit. minnie should have just gone bpa and told their two stars "screw you, we're cr@p anyway. you can't even elevate us in covid." once again at the bottom of the heap. this is no time for hurt feelings
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#7 » by BadWolf » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Lalouie wrote:maybe i'm looking at it too simply, but if you're looking to trade the #1 pick that means you don't like any player.

and if you don't like any player then why draft a player for fit. minnie should have just gone bpa and told their two stars "screw you, we're cr@p anyway. you can't even elevate us in covid."

but.... they did... :D
It's way to early to predict the outcome here.
Saying there were two top prospects,Ball and Wiseman,is revisionist history. For most of the year and then up till the very end Edwards was ahead on mocks.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 pm

Just bad gm you draft the bpa in that situation every time then flip them after since the demand immediately goes up once he aint on the board anymore
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#9 » by MegaK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Meanwhile Quickley is the best player in the draft and goes all the way at the end of the first round. Wolves stupid bro.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,450

Post#10 » by Harry Garris » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:36 pm

MegaK wrote:Meanwhile Quickley is the best player in the draft and goes all the way at the end of the first round. Wolves stupid bro.

Quickley is not the best player in the draft lmao. He's averaging 10 and 2 on 52% TS%.

Haliburton is averaging 11 and 5 on 62% TS%, and Haliburton is a better defensive player.

I like Quickley, he brings great energy to the floor and is a good team player, but he's still a rookie and he's playing like one. Tyrese looks like a 5 year vet already. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
BlackNoir
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#11 » by BlackNoir » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Meanwhile Wiseman goes for 25pts in 24 min on 9-14 shooting last night, 6 Reb and 3blk.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#12 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:53 pm

I sorta understand Wiseman, although I woulda tried to trade KAT and see what I could have got for him. That said, Russell is a fake pg. Hes really a 2 in a points body. They woulda been far better off positionally and talent wise taking Ball or Hali.
TheSeeker
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#13 » by TheSeeker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:02 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:I sorta understand Wiseman, although I woulda tried to trade KAT and see what I could have got for him. That said, Russell is a fake pg. Hes really a 2 in a points body. They woulda been far better off positionally and talent wise taking Ball or Hali.

Always take the BPA. Draft Wiseman and then talk to Golden State about trading their pick. And they don't offer anything good, you keep him and assess other trades. Too many teams have learned that picking for a position can lead to poor drafting.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,552

Post#14 » by dc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 pm

BlackNoir wrote:Meanwhile Wiseman goes for 25pts in 24 min on 9-14 shooting last night, 6 Reb and 3blk.

I thought Edwards was every bit as impressive last night, and I say that as a Warrior fan.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
BlackNoir
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#15 » by BlackNoir » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:38 pm

dc wrote:
BlackNoir wrote:Meanwhile Wiseman goes for 25pts in 24 min on 9-14 shooting last night, 6 Reb and 3blk.

I thought Edwards was every bit as impressive last night, and I say that as a Warrior fan.

Yea, looked much better last night, previous 6-7 games he has been shooting 24% avg :o
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#16 » by Tofubeque » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Oh no, they would've had to bring Wiseman off the bench... like the Warriors are now doing... and like they're doing with Edwards anyway
props Turbozone
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,552

Post#17 » by dc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:29 am

Tofubeque wrote:Oh no, they would've had to bring Wiseman off the bench... like the Warriors are now doing... and like they're doing with Edwards anyway

Interestingly, the Top 3 picks are all currently coming off the bench.

And should add that the most impressive rookie so far (Haliburton) is also coming off the bench.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#18 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:12 am

TheSeeker wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:I sorta understand Wiseman, although I woulda tried to trade KAT and see what I could have got for him. That said, Russell is a fake pg. Hes really a 2 in a points body. They woulda been far better off positionally and talent wise taking Ball or Hali.

Always take the BPA. Draft Wiseman and then talk to Golden State about trading their pick. And they don't offer anything good, you keep him and assess other trades. Too many teams have learned that picking for a position can lead to poor drafting.

I don;t disagree. But the thought was Wiseman wasn't the clear cut #1 guy. It could have been Ball/Wiseman or Edwards. They picked the wrong one out of all 3.
ericwright1218
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#19 » by ericwright1218 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:32 am

Russell is no PG, he'd be better off as a Jason Terry style hybrid playing next to a bigger point guard like LaMelo Ball. I think a Ball/Russell backcourt would of been fine, they both kind of make up for the deficiency of the other.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#20 » by arasu » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:49 am

Russell has had the questions surrounding his status as a PG his whole career. His passing ability is off the charts elite in terms of passing techniques and accuracy. Unfortunately his decision-making has not improved much over the years. He is capable of playing off-ball some, but not really as a fulltime SG. Defensively, while he's pretty good in the passing lanes, his overall defense has been a weakness, as he's a bit slow both guarding point or chasing off-ball, and he doesn't make up for it in effort, communication, or floor awareness. He is a very good and versatile offensive player who could lead a competitive team from the point guard position, but he clearly needs the perfect system and complementary teammates.

As much as KAT and D-lo are friends and complement each other offensively, they're a poor fit as franchise cornerstones, since neither is willing to fully commit to doing the dirty work. Maybe if they luck out and find some two-way competitor in the mold of a Jimmy Butler, it could work for the T-Wolves, but it looks like one or both of these "cornerstones" will need to be traded, and the rebuilding will grind on for more years.

Return to Wiretap Discussion