ImageImage

Off Topic VIII

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Re: Off Topic VIII 

Post#1661 » by penquin11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:24 am

:O The Saints are $112 Million over the NFL Salary Cap heading into 2021.... During the worst financial year in recent NFL history.... We could be about to see the death of a dynasty as that team gets broken apart.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,526

Post#1662 » by HornetJail » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:39 am

penquin11 wrote::O The Saints are $112 Million over the NFL Salary Cap heading into 2021.... During the worst financial year in recent NFL history.... We could be about to see the death of a dynasty as that team gets broken apart.

can someone explain to me how they actually managed to do that? I don't fully understand how the NFL financial structure works. Did they structure every contract on their team to explode in 2021? Also does this mean they can't sign players or draft picks until they get under it by cutting and trading players?

I guess if there's a year to do it, it might as well be the year your franchise QB rides off into the sunset and you're not playing for anything anyway.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1663 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:43 am

penquin11 wrote::O The Saints are $112 Million over the NFL Salary Cap heading into 2021.... During the worst financial year in recent NFL history.... We could be about to see the death of a dynasty as that team gets broken apart.

Saints will be fine.

They have a bunch of big contracts they can restructure (Jordan, Armstead, Thomas, Davis, M.Jenkins etc) by converting some of the yearly cap money into signing bonuses that won’t count against the cap.

They can also add some ghost years to some of the newer, longer contracts.

Also, guys like Easton, Alexander and Jackrabbit Jenkins have voidable years on their contracts and will be resigned at a lower rate than they current show against the cap.

When Brees announces his retirement as expected that’ll remove and instant $15-$20mil as well.

We’ll be able to resign guys like Lattimore, Ramczyk and Williams but we’ll no doubt have to let guys like Hendrickson and Anzalone walk in FA (which is fine).
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1664 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:47 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:can someone explain to me how they actually managed to do that? I don't fully understand how the NFL financial structure works. Did they structure every contract on their team to explode in 2021? Also does this mean they can't sign players or draft picks until they get under it by cutting and trading players?

I guess if there's a year to do it, it might as well be the year your franchise QB rides off into the sunset and you're not playing for anything anyway.

See above.

Oh, and Mickey Loomis and Khai Harley are geniuses when it comes to working and reworking contracts.

While the Saints appear to about $91mil over cap right now, that’s just on paper. They’ll rework a number of contracts and be fine.
B B M F 'ers
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#1665 » by penquin11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm

BigSlam wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:can someone explain to me how they actually managed to do that? I don't fully understand how the NFL financial structure works. Did they structure every contract on their team to explode in 2021? Also does this mean they can't sign players or draft picks until they get under it by cutting and trading players?

See above.

Oh, and Mickey Loomis and Khai Harley are geniuses when it comes to working and reworking contracts.

While the Saints appear to about $91mil over cap right now, that’s just on paper. They’ll rework a number of contracts and be fine.

They still look set to lose at least 4 defensive starters including their sack leader and their most productive DT as well as their CB1 in Jenkins. They also have to clear cap space for the draft as well.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Off Topic VIII 

Post#1666 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:59 pm

penquin11 wrote:They still look set to lose at least 4 defensive starters including their sack leader and their most productive DT as well as their CB1 in Jenkins. They also have to clear cap space for the draft as well.

Who are the “at least 4 defensive starters” we will lose?

Hendrickson had a break out season this year. A contract year. Prior to this year he was pretty ho-hum. I’m happy for a team other than the Saints to overpay him $10–$15mil per season for 1 good year!!

Onyemata is our best DT and he was just resigned (who can also have his contract restructured to create more cap space) and isn’t going anywhere.

Lattimore is out CB1 - Jenkins CB2 and like I already said, Jenkins contract can be restructured and save the team $8mil by taking his salary down to the min and converting the rest of his base salary to a signing bonus.
B B M F 'ers
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#1667 » by penquin11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:20 pm

BigSlam wrote:
penquin11 wrote:They still look set to lose at least 4 defensive starters including their sack leader and their most productive DT as well as their CB1 in Jenkins. They also have to clear cap space for the draft as well.

Hendrickson had a break out season this year. A contract year. Prior to this year he was pretty ho-hum. I’m happy for a team other than the Saints to overpay him $10–$15mil per season for 1 good year!!

Onyemata is our best DT and he was just resigned (who can also have his contract restructured to create more cap space) and isn’t going anywhere.

Lattimore is out CB1 - Jenkins CB2 and like I already said, Jenkins contract can be restructured and save the team $8mil by taking his salary down to the min and converting the rest of his base salary to a signing bonus.

Yeah man I decided to go to PFF to see what all was actually going to happen with those guys leaving and really it isn't much. Hendrickson graded as the 28th best Edge rusher in the league- so yeah he is a PRIME overpay candidate. As for Rankins I somehow saw his 2018 season (8 sacks) and thought it was his 2020 season- no way they miss 1.5 sacks and 12 games that much. I still expect the Saints to cut Jenkins given his age, injury history, and ability to avoid cap hits in cutting him- but he was very productive during the games he did play so we will see. Yeah they will be fine.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1668 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:26 pm

penquin11 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

Yeah man I decided to go to PFF to see what all was actually going to happen with those guys leaving and really it isn't much. Hendrickson graded as the 28th best Edge rusher in the league- so yeah he is a PRIME overpay candidate. As for Rankins I somehow saw his 2018 season (8 sacks) and thought it was his 2020 season- no way they miss 1.5 sacks and 12 games that much. I still expect the Saints to cut Jenkins given his age, injury history, and ability to avoid cap hits in cutting him- but he was very productive during the games he did play so we will see. Yeah they will be fine.

Rankins was great in 2018 but after tearing his achilles in the playoffs didn’t come back the same. He’ll be a cap causality this offseason (like Anzalone and Hendrickson and Cook etc) but that’s ok - Saints have depth. Guys like Shy Tuttle will easily replace Rankins.

And with the investment into Davenport we can easily let Hendrickson walk and not overpay him. Heck, Grandserson showed some good stuff off the edge and will provide depth there.

The roster will look different next season - but so will every teams.

The biggest question for the Saints will be what to do at QB.
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#1669 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pm

The good news is Saints return entire offensive line, so Kamara should be fine. On the other hand Michael Thomas looked pretty average all year, so they should field offers for him. Their biggest issue is of course going to be QB.. is Taysom Hill really going to play QB for 16 games next season? Does Brees retiring still go against their dead cap?

Cutting Sanders saves 6.5 million, cutting Jenkins saves 7 million, cutting Nick Easton saves 6 Million. If it gets really bad they can cut Kwon Alexander and save his entire salary of 13.4 Million.

Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Hendrickson, Rankins are all gone off the defense, but I am sure they will be fine on that side of the ball.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1670 » by BigSlam » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:04 pm

JMAC3 wrote:The good news is Saints return entire offensive line, so Kamara should be fine.

Resigning Ramczyk is a MUST. He and Armstread combine to be the best tackle duo in the league IMO. Peat can be awesome at LG but also not awesome - there is no in between and it changes from game to game (even play to play). Hopefully McCoy keeps improving on his 1st two years - he's been great. Ruiz wasn't great this rookie season so hopefully there is improvement there. I could see them moving Ruiz to C and McCoy to RG next season.

On the other hand Michael Thomas looked pretty average all year, so they should field offers for him.

He had his ankle rolled up on in the 1st game of the season causing significant damage and only played 6 more games for the rest of the reg season. He's going in for 4 surgeries on his ankle now. He was hobbled when he came back and only came back to try and help get to the SB.

Their biggest issue is of course going to be QB.. is Taysom Hill really going to play QB for 16 games next season?

I think they bring Winston back on a "show me" 1 year $7mil or so deal and give him a shot at starting with Taysom continuing with his gadget role.

Does Brees retiring still go against their dead cap?

Want to know what makes Loomis and Hartley ahead of the other front offices in the NFL? They structure contracts like Brees so that he can essentially take a pay cut to the league minimum (a little over $1 million), and then have the Saints turn in his retirement paperwork after June 1. That move would save the Saints a hefty sum of cash, in the ballpark of around $25 million.

Cutting Sanders saves 6.5 million, cutting Jenkins saves 7 million, cutting Nick Easton saves 6 Million.

I could see them cutting Sanders. They have Smith and Callaway at a fraction of the price. I've already addressed Jackrabbit a few times - I could see them restructure his contract and make it less by extending him. Easton is an interesting one, all depends on how Ruiz develops and the belief they have in him IMO.

If it gets really bad they can cut Kwon Alexander and save his entire salary of 13.4 Million.

Because he tore his achilles and went to IR they can't cut him outright - he'll cost them at min $2mil but like I said above, I can see them working out a pay cut and extending him at much less than the $13mil (which I think he would go for considering he'll miss most of next season).

Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Hendrickson, Rankins are all gone off the defense, but I am sure they will be fine on that side of the ball.

I think they keep Williams. He's a top 5 free safety in the NFL. Agreed that Anzalone, Hendrickson and Rankins are all gone though.
B B M F 'ers
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#1671 » by JMAC3 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 pm

BigSlam wrote:
He had his ankle rolled up on in the 1st game of the season causing significant damage and only played 6 more games for the rest of the reg season. He's going in for 4 surgeries on his ankle now. He was hobbled when he came back and only came back to try and help get to the SB.

Yeah I was playing against Kamara in fantasy that week in my big money league and the play he got hurt was a meaningless touchdown in garbage time for Kamara. Sucks that Payton did not just sit on the ball and put in the subs because that play really changed the Saints season. I am not a fan of Payton for dumb **** like that, but I bet being a fan of that team might be alright.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Post#1672 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:11 pm

JMAC3 wrote:The good news is Saints return entire offensive line, so Kamara should be fine.

Some of us might not view that as good news.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1673 » by BigSlam » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:49 am

So if the Lions were able to pull that haul for Stafford, what will the Texans be able to get for Watson???
B B M F 'ers
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#1674 » by amcoolio » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:50 am

6 first rounds picks

I'd be shocked if they trade him now unfortunately
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#1675 » by countryboi » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter

just going to leave this here
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1676 » by BigSlam » Fri Feb 5, 2021 8:04 pm

What Hornet-sentric podcast do posters listen to?

I sometimes listen to Locked on Hornets, but honestly I can’t stand that Nata guy at all and he turns me off listening on a more frequent basis.

I used to listen to Banter from the Booth but they don’t seem to do it any more.

I don’t like the Bring Back The Buzz guys.

What are others downloading and enjoying?
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1677 » by BigSlam » Sat Feb 6, 2021 3:55 am

And so it begins:

Read on Twitter

Next they’ll restructure the contracts of guys like Thomas, Peat, Jenkins, Alexander, Easton, Jordan and Onyemata etc and........poof! Saints cap ledger will be squared away.
B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#1678 » by BlackOutBuzz » Sat Feb 6, 2021 4:30 am

BigSlam wrote:What Hornet-sentric podcast do posters listen to?

I sometimes listen to Locked on Hornets, but honestly I can’t stand that Nata guy at all and he turns me off listening on a more frequent basis.

I used to listen to Banter from the Booth but they don’t seem to do it any more.

I don’t like the Bring Back The Buzz guys.

What are others downloading and enjoying?

LOH is actually my favorite but sometimes I'll listen to Buzz Beat or At the Hive.

Banter from the Booth died with Focke (like Kroeger's podcast before it) and is now the Hornets Hive Cast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#1679 » by penquin11 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:35 am

Im going to be real with yall I didnt even know the Hornets had fancasts. I just kind of assumed we were too irrelevant for that. Very excited to hear differently.

EDIT: This years Superbowl was absolute garbage. The Chiefs Oline was wrecked entering into the game with both of their starting tackles down. That lead to **** Mike Remmers, former Panthers OT (yeah the one who got wrecked in our Superbowl) to get the start where he was predictably incompetent. There was a point in the 3rd Quarter where the Chiefs had more yards Penalized than they had passing yards. What a boring game.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#1680 » by euphorbus » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:41 pm

J.J. Watt got his release from the Texans. Green Bay is an obvious place to go, not just to get a championship, but because he is from Wisconsin. I am a big fan of his wife, Kealia Watt (UNC 2013), who plays forward for the Chicago Red Stars. They spend a lot of time together in Chicago, but Green Bay would be the better destination.

Return to Charlotte Hornets