CP3 vs Rubio

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

JohnWall2
Junior
And1: 249

Re: CP3 vs Rubio 

Post#61 » by JohnWall2 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:27 am

Ricky Rubio today 1/4 shooting for 2 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover

CP3 today 14/20 shooting for 34 points, 9 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals, 5 turnovers

Lol
JohnWall2
Junior

Post#62 » by JohnWall2 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 6:44 am

CP3 averaging the past 5 games 26/6/9 on 53/39/96
Hsker4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,263

Post#63 » by Hsker4Life » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:06 am

JohnWall2 wrote:Ricky Rubio today 1/4 shooting for 2 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover

CP3 today 14/20 shooting for 34 points, 9 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals, 5 turnovers

Lol

What Rubio does this year is not relevant to what he may have done with PHX this year!!!!!!!!!

<end sarcasm>
JohnWall2
Junior

Post#64 » by JohnWall2 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 7:37 am

Hsker4Life wrote:
JohnWall2 wrote:Ricky Rubio today 1/4 shooting for 2 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 turnover

Lol

What Rubio does this year is not relevant to what he may have done with PHX this year!!!!!!!!!

<end sarcasm>
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#65 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:52 am

I loved seeing how aggressive Paul was today even with Booker coming back.

Also Booker was utilised more outside the arc from 3 which seemed to benefit both of them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#66 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 1:10 am

CP3 vs Booker might be a better discussion, though of course CP3 has been a lot better this year than him too. Booker slightly more efficient overall but CP3 4/1 ast/to Booker more turnovers than assists so far. And defense just a tad different.

Hopefully Book cleans up the handle and decision making.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#67 » by Bogyo » Wed Feb 3, 2021 7:47 am

Lately it seems like all I have to do is b1tch a bit on this forum about the obvious shortcomings of our players, and they correct them in a little while. Seemed to happen with Ayton first, now with CP.
No need to thank me guys, I'll keep it up. When I see some **** - I'll call it ****. I just hope our guys keep up their end of the bargain :D
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#68 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Feb 3, 2021 1:12 pm

Chris Paul last 10 games: 19.8 points, 9.0 assists, 4.7 rebounds on 57/33/97 shooting and +38 on court.
Hsker4Life
Rookie

Post#69 » by Hsker4Life » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm

itlnsunsfan wrote:My eye test has told me Chris Paul hasn't been any more effective this year than Ricky Rubio was for us last year. But eyes can deceive. What do the numbers say?

https://stathead.com/tiny/R031n

Hey OP, any updates?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#70 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Hsker4Life wrote:
itlnsunsfan wrote:My eye test has told me Chris Paul hasn't been any more effective this year than Ricky Rubio was for us last year. But eyes can deceive. What do the numbers say?

Hey OP, any updates?

My eye test tells me that CP3 is the better of two point guards. But eyes can certainly be deceiving.
JohnWall2
Junior

Post#71 » by JohnWall2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:37 pm

SunsRback4Good wrote:
Hsker4Life wrote:

Hey OP, any updates?

My eye test tells me that CP3 is the better of two point guards. But eyes can certainly be deceiving.
It's close.....CP3s very slight edge in mid range shooting gives him the nod lol
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#72 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:42 pm

JohnWall2 wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
Hsker4Life wrote:Hey OP, any updates?

It's close.....CP3s very slight edge in mid range shooting gives him the nod lol

Indeed my friend. :)
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#73 » by itlnsunsfan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 am

Hsker4Life wrote:

Hey OP, any updates?

I love that the trade is looking more successful. At the time of the posting, Rubio and Paul's numbers were identical, but nothing would make me happier than looking like a fool for posting it.
Hsker4Life
Rookie

Post#74 » by Hsker4Life » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:42 pm

itlnsunsfan wrote:
Hsker4Life wrote:

Hey OP, any updates?

...but nothing would make me happier than looking like a fool for posting it.

Well, by now you should be extremely happy.
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#75 » by itlnsunsfan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Hsker4Life wrote:
itlnsunsfan wrote:
Hsker4Life wrote:Hey OP, any updates?

...but nothing would make me happier than looking like a fool for posting it.

Well, by now you should be extremely happy.

I am extremely happy.
JohnWall2
Junior

Post#76 » by JohnWall2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:31 pm

I just read again some of those takes at the start of the thread. Some very quiet posters here now.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#77 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 am

The problem with those who were Rubio > CP3 is that they saw what Rubio gave us and compared it to wat CP3 gave us at the time but didn't give respect to the upside CP3 brings to this team. At best Rubio as our starting PG might've squeaked us into the playoffs which is a great improvement over the past half decade of mediocre basement dwelling but at best CP3 is an all-NBA level PG on a deep playoff team and if he had better luck, on Finals team.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,163

Post#78 » by Frank Lee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:39 am

bwgood77 wrote:Rubio is not better than Paul. These arguments are absurd. He played well with the Suns over an entire season and CP3 has identical stats as he learns the team without benefit of a training camp. He also helps us in crunch time. I like that he tries to get others involved in the first half and get everyone going and getting 12-14 assists in the first half, and then if need be, take over down the stretch, being the most clutch guy in the league last year. I really like Rubio, but our team will be better with Paul barring an injury or serious decline from where he is now (which I fear for next year, but not this year).

In a vacuum CP > Rubio.... but true eyeshot... are we better with CP at 36 and 40+ millionx2 Or with with Rubio, a 20 mill FA PF, and whoever we could get for oubre ( or even Oob), plus other offseason acquisitions. Would have been a totally different roster. Also players Ayton, Bridges, and CamJo have improved noticeably and that’s not all CP. there is little reason to think Rubes wouldn’t be running this squad much better than last yr. (emphasis on running)

who knows how much success?

This move has worked out better than expected, but we still have holes. We might have had a more complete team, had CP not wanted to come here. 8-)

It’s apples to Naranja Valencias
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:53 am

Frank Lee wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Rubio is not better than Paul. These arguments are absurd. He played well with the Suns over an entire season and CP3 has identical stats as he learns the team without benefit of a training camp. He also helps us in crunch time. I like that he tries to get others involved in the first half and get everyone going and getting 12-14 assists in the first half, and then if need be, take over down the stretch, being the most clutch guy in the league last year. I really like Rubio, but our team will be better with Paul barring an injury or serious decline from where he is now (which I fear for next year, but not this year).

In a vacuum CP > Rubio.... but true eyeshot... are we better with CP at 36 and 40+ millionx2 Or with with Rubio, a 20 mill FA PF, and whoever we could get for oubre ( or even Oob), plus other offseason acquisitions. Would have been a totally different roster. Also players Ayton, Bridges, and CamJo have improved noticeably and that’s not all CP. there is little reason to think Rubes wouldn’t be running this squad much better than last yr. (emphasis on running)

This move has worked out better than expected, but we still have holes. We might have had a more complete team, had CP not wanted to come here. 8-)

I was actually against the trade including a pick, or hesitant at a minimum, but was fine with Rubio and Oubre for him (which really seemed like plenty given his contract)...if Paul hadn't done so well with that Thunder squad it wouldn't have taken the pick. Then I would have tried to trade Oubre for Gordon to improve our PF/big/finishing/above the rim/rebounding, etc...and avoid potentially overpaying Oubre.

But I'm happy with where we are.

We ended up going over the cap anyway barely and using the MLE, so I don't know if we would have really ended up having that much more money because if we were under the cap by $13 million that's what we'd have and not our MLE that we used on Crowder.

Hopefully that pick doesn't turn out too good though like some generational superstar...it will likely be protected for awhile and then unprotected, and being protected in 2022 through 12 might not be a great thing. It's hard to pull for it to convey in 23 or 24 even though we would know it's not a top pick, because it would be nice to finish high in the standings, but in 2025 who knows? Booker is an UFA in 2024..if he were to bolt, that 25 pick could be a pretty good one. But I guess I shouldn't be concerned. I'll probably be dead.

2022 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
Phoenix's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City protected for selections 1-12 in 2022, 1-10 in 2023 and 1-8 in 2024 and unprotected in 2025 [Oklahoma City-Phoenix, 11/16/2020]
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#80 » by Saberestar » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:52 am

Frank Lee wrote:

How in the world can someone watch our team winning against every team and going to the playoffs as a #2 seed and say that we could have had a more complete team with Rubio and someone else in CP3's place? Seriously?

It was a terrific trade. CP3 deserves every dollar in his contract and he is a huge upgrade over Rubio. Enjoy this team because we are great and we can be great for years to come, special PGs like him can be very good until his late thirties.

Return to Phoenix Suns