Fred VanVleet On Scoring Franchise Record 54 Points: It Was Easy

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Fred VanVleet On Scoring Franchise Record 54 Points: It Was Easy 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 3, 2021 3:48 pm

Fred VanVleet scored a franchise record 54 points in the Toronto Raptors' 123-108 win at the Orlando Magic. The total is also the most ever recorded by an undrafted player in NBA history, surpassing Moses Malone's record of 53.

"Unbelievable. I'm very humbled and honored to be in the same sentence as both of those guys," said VanVleet, who finished the game 17-for-23 from the field, 11-for-14 from the 3-point line and 9-for-9 from the foul line. He also had 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks in 37 minutes.

"Just a special night, obviously, a lot of different levels," he said. "So just trying to enjoy it for now, but it's not a championship or anything like that. It was a good game for me, and I'll enjoy all the love for a couple hours and get ready for the next one."

VanVleet took only 23 shots as he scored in the flow of the offense.

"It was easy," VanVleet said. "No disrespect to the Magic. But I mean, for most of those, I was open. They were in rhythm. They were clean looks. They were within the offense. That's why I was able to remain patient and still pass out of double-teams and not take bad shots because of the way I got all my points. There were maybe one or two quick, bad shots, if that.

"Most of those were in rhythm, within the offense, playing in the flow of the game; and I even told the guys, 'You guys, keep playing.' I could feel them start to look for me to the point where they weren't looking at the rim anymore. I wanted to win more than I wanted 50 points. Just trying to continue to play with a pure heart and let the game come to me, and I was rewarded for that."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Re: Fred VanVleet On Scoring Franchise Record 54 Points: It Was Easy 

Post#2 » by Inevitable » Wed Feb 3, 2021 7:02 pm

FVV needs to be a little more humble he did this against one of the worst teams missing half their roster
Andrew_M08
Rookie
And1: 2,801

Post#3 » by Andrew_M08 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 8:29 pm

Inevitable wrote:FVV needs to be a little more humble he did this against one of the worst teams missing half their roster

Agreed
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#4 » by dubbmotta » Wed Feb 3, 2021 8:40 pm

Inevitable wrote:FVV needs to be a little more humble he did this against one of the worst teams missing half their roster

Did you read his whole comment??? "Most of them I was open"

They didn't play D on him..don't be fooled by just a headline...
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#5 » by 23artest23 » Wed Feb 3, 2021 9:24 pm

Really? He seemed very humble to me. He even referenced most of his shots being open and was simply making them as anyone should make open shots. For a guy that put up what I'm guessing is one of the most efficient 50+ point games I've seen, I think he seems extremely humble.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#6 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Wed Feb 3, 2021 9:33 pm

How would be be even more humble? I don't think it's possible.. I bet you stopped reading after the headline.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 236

Post#7 » by Risk Addict » Wed Feb 3, 2021 10:55 pm

Wow another poorly written wiretap article. Intro paragraph mentions one player, Moses Malone. Then the following paragraph is a quote from FVV where he says he is humbled to be mentioned with “both those guys”
SullNett
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#8 » by SullNett » Thu Feb 4, 2021 12:23 am

try reading the article for once nimrod

WARNING: There's no need to insult anyone like this. Keep your discourse civil, please.
-Sammy
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,570

Post#9 » by bluerap23 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 2:46 am

Andrew_M08 wrote:

Agreed

I wanted to win more than I wanted 50 points. Just trying to continue to play with a pure heart and let the game come to me, and I was rewarded for that.

Dude is very humble. He has made it with blood, sweat and tears.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,230

Post#10 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:46 am

Magic: 8-14
Raps: 9-12
:roll:
I don't think you could be any more humble after scoring 54. We didn't defend him. He hit open looks.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
rapsdontlie
Pro Prospect
And1: 985

Post#11 » by rapsdontlie » Thu Feb 4, 2021 5:02 am

In fairness to the first commenter, the headline does seem to be intentionally misleading.

He just took the bait on it...

Return to Wiretap Discussion