ImageImageImage

Can we Beat Brooklyn (7 game series)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

M2J
Starter
And1: 1,139

Re: Can we Beat Brooklyn (7 game series) 

Post#21 » by M2J » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:49 am

The way to attack them is on the inside. Clippers are a jump shooting team. Their (Nets) defense is really really bad. It was bad vs the Clippers, but you have to punish them inside.

Paul George was also right, they got away with a lot of fouls on drives.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,955

Post#22 » by Murray_17 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 12:37 pm

The Sixers and the Bucks are serious missmatches for them.

Even after the waivers market i don't see how they can cover the hole they have on the center position. If the Sixers run a simple Pick n Roll between Embiid and Simmons or between a guard like Shake/Tyrese/Seth and Simmons (When Joel is not there) the Nets would have no answer for it

The only line up solution i see for them, as constructed today, is to play "small" with KD at center (kind of...) and Jeff Green as PF, that would bring embiid outside of the paint and open the floor for them but also force KD to bang on defense constantly with Joel for 7 games.

Their wing rotation is also probably the worst defending rotation in the league with Harris, Harden, Kyrie, TLC, Johnson, Shamet and the corpse of Shumpert. Which is perfect for Tyrese and Shake who aren't shooting great outside but love to penetrate and hit floaters.

Of course we would have problems too, i don't see how Seth can be a starter on a series against Harden and Kyrie but it's more easy to solve than their problem on the paint.

Overall i don't know if we "win" but i think we have the better options in the conference to do it, i also see the Bucks giving them nightmares. I don't see the Nets beating the Lakers anyway, they're full of bigs like the Sixers but also have more defense and shooting.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#23 » by HotelVitale » Thu Feb 4, 2021 3:36 pm

Murray_17 wrote:The Sixers and the Bucks are serious missmatches for them. If the Sixers run a simple Pick n Roll between Embiid and Simmons or between a guard like Shake/Tyrese/Seth and Simmons (When Joel is not there) the Nets would have no answer for it ...Their wing rotation is also probably the worst defending rotation in the league with Harris, Harden, Kyrie, TLC, Johnson, Shamet and the corpse of Shumpert. Which is perfect for Tyrese and Shake who aren't shooting great outside but love to penetrate and hit floaters.

Well, we don't play pn'r with those backups and Simmons at all now, and barely run Simmons/Embiid pn'r, that's not something in our wheelhouse and I wouldn't feel very good about a strategy that relies on us doing something we've more or less rejected as an option in the RS. And we also can't bet our playoff chances on Maxey and Shake hitting floaters. Good option sometimes but that can't be an overall playoff strategy, it's a really really tough way to keep up with an offense as potent as the Nets.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,955

Post#24 » by Murray_17 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:12 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Well, we don't play pn'r with those backups and Simmons at all now, and barely run Simmons/Embiid pn'r, that's not something in our wheelhouse and I wouldn't feel very good about a strategy that relies on us doing something we've more or less rejected as an option in the RS. And we also can't bet our playoff chances on Maxey and Shake hitting floaters. Good option sometimes but that can't be an overall playoff strategy, it's a really really tough way to keep up with an offense as potent as the Nets.

You're totally right but it's not that difficult to run a 2 man game with Joe screening for Simmons in the paint or the inverse either, in fact yesterday they did it 3 or 4 times already for Ben.

They also said they're gonna start to experiment with Ben playing at the 5 in a small line up. It's not like i'm just throwing stuff on the wall.

As far as Tyrese and Shake goes, no one is saying that we relly on them. My point is that against the Nets, bench scoring should not be an issue because the personal we have it's strong against what the nets precissely can't do: Defend people driving to the rim
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,376

Post#25 » by Hussien Fatal » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:31 pm

The sixers have Three major advantages vs the Nets

1. Coaching. No doubt Doc is a wayyyy better coach than Nash.

2. Bench. Our bench has been pretty good this year. And the Nets bench is kinda thin now.

3. Center Position. This the the most glaring advantage the sixers have.

The Nets have their advantages as well, but I think the Sixers as constructed match up very nicely with them.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,757

Post#26 » by HotelVitale » Thu Feb 4, 2021 4:50 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Well, we don't play pn'r with those backups and Simmons at all now, and barely run Simmons/Embiid pn'r, that's not something in our wheelhouse and I wouldn't feel very good about a strategy that relies on us doing something we've more or less rejected as an option in the RS. And we also can't bet our playoff chances on Maxey and Shake hitting floaters. Good option sometimes but that can't be an overall playoff strategy, it's a really really tough way to keep up with an offense as potent as the Nets.
You're totally right but it's not that difficult to run a 2 man game with Joe screening for Simmons in the paint or the inverse either, in fact yesterday they did it 3 or 4 times already for Ben. They also said they're gonna start to experiment with Ben playing at the 5 in a small line up. It's not like i'm just throwing stuff on the wall.

As far as Tyrese and Shake goes, no one is saying that we relly on them. My point is that against the Nets, bench scoring should not be an issue because the personal we have it's strong against what the nets precissely can't do: Defend people driving to the rim

I like the snug pn'r with Simmon and Embiid but we've gone away from it unless the matchup is very favorable, and I'm guessing that was an intentional decision. And that's cool they're going to maybe try Ben at the 5 a little bit, but we'll probably want to see a lot of it working before pushing all the chips in on it. Also there won't be a ton of bench vs bench time in the PO, rotations will get very short in the later rounds (and teams that rely heavily on good second units traditionally underperform in the PO).

Guess my point is that we know what works for us as an offense--Embiid post-ups, spreading the floor and attacking closeouts, some Tobi/Ben isos--and I don't feel great about a plan that relies on us do something different. Our guys really haven't seemed very good at improvising in tense situations--Ben plays too fast, Joel starts making bad decisions, Tobias gets scared--so I can't get excited about that.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#27 » by 6ers83 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 5:19 pm

4-2 or 4-3 Philly

People do not get how horrible they are in D. Jo in a playoff atmosphere when he’s fired up can get 45 on those guys. He will destroy them.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,395

Post#28 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:42 pm

“They are terrible on D”

Who will they have trouble defending aside from Embiid?

If Im the Nets, I’d implement the same strategy Hawks did against Prime Dwight Howard and the Magic in 2011.

Defend Biid on single coverage.
Let him get his 40+pts.
Stay at bay on everyone else.

Dwight averaged 27pts on 63FG% on this series.

Hawks won this series 4-2
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,791

Post#29 » by Stanford » Thu Feb 4, 2021 6:59 pm

76ciology wrote:Who will they have trouble defending aside from Embiid?

We need Tobias to abuse them. Shake maybe.

But yeah, I get what you're saying.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#30 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 4, 2021 7:02 pm

Stanford wrote:
76ciology wrote:Who will they have trouble defending aside from Embiid?

We need Tobias to abuse them. Shake maybe.

But yeah, I get what you're saying.

I expect Seth to not be in during late games. Shake should replace him because Nets will HUNT Seth.

Then I expect Shake to run 1-3 PnR with Tobias. Tobias will attack Kyrie’s defense. If this is denied, we’ll dump the ball to Biid.

Then Nets will run Kyrie-KD PnR with KD trying to score against Milton.

Like I said in the other thread. I like Tobi but I still dont trust him :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,014

Post#31 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 7:07 pm

When the playoffs get here, the pace will slow...not sure the Nets can push the pace as hard as they do right now in the playoffs.

They will be the favorites if we faced them of course, but I can't say our chances are as low as some have said here. With Seth starting and having to guard Kyrie (there would be no other person for Seth to guard, unless we try to hide him on Joe Harris) will be a nightmare, but other than that we have guys to matchup with them elsewhere.

We have a chance to compete, but smart money would be on the Nets of course if the teams stay the same.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#32 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 7:10 pm

76ciology wrote:“They are terrible on D”

If Im the Nets, I’d implement the same strategy Hawks did against Prime Dwight Howard and the Magic in 2011.

Let him get his 40+pts.

Yeah, but that works better when the big man your speaking of can't shoot free throws.

With Jojo being great from the line and them having nothing in the middle at all, Jojo could go for 50 single covered with no problems at all.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#33 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 4, 2021 7:22 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:

Let him get his 40+pts.

Yeah, but that works better when the big man your speaking of can't shoot free throws.

With Jojo being great from the line and them having nothing in the middle at all, Jojo could go for 50 single covered with no problems at all.

D12 had 67TS% on that series.

Jojo could go 50, and Nets would have no problem about that as long as the other guys are shut down.

Your also likely to face them on the third round, where Biid maybe worn down. Unlike D12 who’s an iron man and faced the Hawks on this series on the first round.

But thats just me. Nash may use some other defensive scheme. I expect Nets will use a lot of zone defense.
6ers83
Senior
And1: 195

Post#34 » by 6ers83 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 7:24 pm

Let him get his 40+pts.

They can’t guard anyone and rely on jump shots. I’m not worried about the Nets at all. I still say they will implode before the playoffs start. Group of knuckle heads.

ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#35 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Feb 4, 2021 8:10 pm

76ciology wrote:
ivysixer2000 wrote:

Let him get his 40+pts.

D12 had 67TS% on that series.

Jojo could go 50, and Nets would have no problem about that as long as the other guys are shut down.

Your also likely to face them on the third round, where Biid maybe worn down. Unlike D12 who’s an iron man and faced the Hawks on this series on the first round.

But thats just me. Nash may use some other defensive scheme. I expect Nets will use a lot of zone defense.

Could happen that way, depending on Nash and Doc. I do like the fact that they can't just depend on fouling Jojo, unlike a Dwight or Shaq for that matter. As for Jojo getting tired, well if a player is going for 50+, you won't hear them even mention being tired. Also, Jojo isn't the only guy we post on this team, even if he got tired.

'Shutting the other players down' can be overstated sometimes as coaching can also influence this issue. Sure if they are all just standing around the 3 pt line waiting on Jojo to make a basket then they can be 'shut down' by their own laziness. Hopefully Doc is a better coach than that as its easy for this team to find guys who want to post, namely Ben and Tobias.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,693

Post#36 » by the_process » Fri Feb 5, 2021 3:22 am

The answer to this question is not as currently constructed.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,468

Post#37 » by elchengue20 » Fri Feb 5, 2021 7:15 am

Let him get his 40+pts.

Yep, i remember Orlando doing something similar to Cleveland in '09. Lebron averaged 40 on them but they won the series.

Different kind of player for suere, but just to say it happens a lot. Even if we have one guy who kills their defese, it doesn't mean much if he's our only effective weapon.

Also like we saw tonight against a terrible Portland team, they can just double Embiid in the post if he's making too much damage.It's not that difficult to recover and at least contest the next shot.We also don't have enough shooting to make them pay. Seth is going to be borderline unplayable on defense against them.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#38 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 5, 2021 7:47 am

elchengue20 wrote:

Let him get his 40+pts.

Yep, i remember Orlando doing something similar to Cleveland in '09. Lebron averaged 40 on them but they won the series.

Different kind of player for suere, but just to say it happens a lot. Even if we have one guy who kills their defese, it doesn't mean much if he's our only effective weapon.

Also like we saw tonight against a terrible Portland team, they can just double Embiid in the post if he's making too much damage.It's not that difficult to recover and at least contest the next shot.We also don't have enough shooting to make them pay. Seth is going to be borderline unplayable on defense against them.

Yup, thats why we need more options than Embiid.

You can’t just rely on Embiid to carry the team and think that defense will be the difference maker.

Defense is a difference maker. But it wont make up the big difference in offense.

Im not saying we can’t beat them.
Im not saying we should trade X for Y.

Im just saying the structure of the roster have to be re-organized if you want a high probability in beating them.

On the contrary, the scenario in beating the Nets with what we have now is the Mavs-Heat series when Dirk went godmode against the Heat’s big 3.

I dont know if it will work. But one way is to put Seth in the game and force the Nets to win the game by relying heavy on Kyrie. Which is a much inferior player than Harden and KD. While locking down KD and Harden with Green and Ben.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#39 » by 76ciology » Sun Feb 7, 2021 9:15 am

I can see Doc ending the game with Thybulle, Green, Ben, Tobi and Biid. Thybulle hounds Kyrie while Kyrie hides on defense on Thybulle, which we dont have a problem with because Kyrie has weak help defense.

We try winning games in the shoulder of Embiid, extra opportunities by crashing the board, forcing TOs and capitalizing on them.

Can’t afford to have Embiid to have an offnight. He’d have to be championship Dirk or vintage michael Jordan.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#40 » by Rastas » Sun Feb 7, 2021 9:55 am

76ciology wrote:I can see Doc ending the game with Thybulle, Green, Ben, Tobi and Biid. Thybulle hounds Kyrie while Kyrie hides on defense on Thybulle, which we dont have a problem with because Kyrie has weak help defense.

We try winning games in the shoulder of Embiid, extra opportunities by crashing the board, forcing TOs and capitalizing on them.

Can’t afford to have Embiid to have an offnight. He’d have to be championship Dirk or vintage michael Jordan.

Relying on Embiid to win you a game late is fools gold.
Jojo is a very emotional player, giving big effort early and usually tired and turnover prone by end of games, best way Jo helps at end of games is defensive efforts , Doc needs to look to others for a hot hand or best fitness in those situations.

The team has some options , but I agree a better closer may be needed to go all the way.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers