ImageImageImage

Can we Beat Brooklyn (7 game series)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,808

Re: Can we Beat Brooklyn (7 game series) 

Post#61 » by Stanford » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:41 pm

stormi wrote:Less concerned with their gimmick roster

lol how is putting three of the best scorers in the league on the same team a gimmick?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#62 » by stormi » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:43 pm

Stanford wrote:
stormi wrote:Less concerned with their gimmick roster

lol how is putting three of the best scorers in the league on the same team a gimmick?

Their roster is the literal definition of a gimmick. #3 ORTG, #27 DRTG. No depth, no defense, no coaching, no schemes. Just prayer iso-ball. Elton Brand type roster.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#63 » by Stanford » Sun Feb 7, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm not sure that's the literal definition of a gimmick
stormi
General Manager

Post#64 » by stormi » Sun Feb 7, 2021 6:33 pm

gim·mick
/ˈɡimik/
noun
a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Sounds about right. They're not winning anything meaningful relying on 3 sieves to play globetrotter basketball for 48 minutes every single night surrounded by roleplayers that do not insulate their skillsets like De'Andre Jordan, TLC, Shamet and Iman Shumpert off the street. This isn't 2k.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#65 » by Negrodamus » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:06 pm

I think this year especially is going to present challenges for the Nets since they got Harden mid year, but I don't think anyone really understands how good the Nets will be by next year. Even the Heat needed a year to jell before taking off.

I'm still expecting Durant to hang 35ppg in the playoffs this year. They will all be ready to play and it's going to be very hard to slow them down.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,315

Post#66 » by Sportfan73 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:12 pm

It’s not a gimmick completely. But it sure as hell is no where near the gsw roster. It’s not even near the GS roster before Durant
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#67 » by Stanford » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:21 pm

stormi wrote:gim·mick
/ˈɡimik/
noun

Sounds about right. They're not winning anything meaningful relying on 3 sieves to play globetrotter basketball for 48 minutes every single night surrounded by roleplayers that do not insulate their skillsets like De'Andre Jordan, TLC, Shamet and Iman Shumpert off the street. This isn't 2k.

Do all bad defensive teams have gimmick rosters?
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,154

Post#68 » by M2J » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:45 pm

76ciology wrote:
Spoiler:
M2J wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Yup, thats why we need more options than Embiid.

You can’t just rely on Embiid to carry the team and think that defense will be the difference maker.

Defense is a difference maker. But it wont make up the big difference in offense.

Im not saying we can’t beat them.
Im not saying we should trade X for Y.

Im just saying the structure of the roster have to be re-organized if you want a high probability in beating them.

On the contrary, the scenario in beating the Nets with what we have now is the Mavs-Heat series when Dirk went godmode against the Heat’s big 3.

I dont know if it will work. But one way is to put Seth in the game and force the Nets to win the game by relying heavy on Kyrie. Which is a much inferior player than Harden and KD. While locking down KD and Harden with Green and Ben.

Interesting thought but....

Yeah, I don't think that strategy is as effective against this team as constructed... Even if done by good defensive teams. Those Hawks and the Magic vs LeBron were good defenses. The Nets are historically bad.

But let's pretend we're talking about a good defense in the Nets, for a second. Joel is a much more efficient scorer than most, and plays in the paint. If they go one on one, he'd likely truly get low position and torch them. Likely get them in big time foul trouble too.

Ben, Tobias, Seth, Shake with pick and rolls and posting Ben are capable of generating some quality offense. Even Seth can get some mid range and closer finishes off of pick and rolls or defenders playing too closely, hell even Green will drive effectively if played too closely for a few buckets.

That style of defense is more effective against guys that can't put the ball on the ground at all, and when there's no other playmakers. Also against a primary scorer that has to work harder against one on one than Joel... The leagues best post scorer (effortlessly efficient) that is nearly automatic from mid range, and a tremendous free throw shooter.... Again many things LeBron and especially Dwight are not.

He's too much of a problem for that strategy, and his supporting cast is far superior to those teams. They're not just stand still shooters.

Now... Talking about the terrible defense of the Nets perimeter players specifically one on one... They'd drive past them like nothing. Is that how Philly typically plays? No, but they have to adjust and the Nets would make it easy.

I like the Sixers chances vs the Nets. It mostly depends on how well the Sixers defend, and I think they can make them a jump shooting team... Yes that's a strength, but not a as efficient as them getting to the rim, especially with a defender playing up on them because Joel is in the paint. I would consider a strategy of Seth (a pesky defender with physical limitations) on Harden and force him to shoot 3s. That could take them out of their flowing offense and he's not a very efficient 3pt shooter historically. That's if placing him on Joe Harris doesn't work, and it may work because luckily Sixers don't switch everything and has the defenders to recover. If they do switch with the clock running down... Shouldn't kill them unless it's Durant.

I dont understand most of what you said, im being honest.

But the thing about thinking we could beat the Nets because they are not a good defensive team is an optimism bias IMO.

Aside from Embiid, who do you think Nets are worried stopping on defense?

Tobias is our CLEAR 2nd option, then there’s a big gap below him. Tobi is not that reliable on offense, if he’s so then we’d be winning games without Embiid. Tobi even struggled against the Blazers where he’s mostly defended by Melo.

Jeff Green, Harden and Durant can all defend Tobi and Ben on single coverage.

Sixers is one of the bottom 10 worst halfcourt offense in the league.

The way I see it, the way Sixers can beat the Nets on a 7 game series is if Biid single handedly carrying this team with an all time great level performance (like a spiritual apparition clip that gets millions of views on youtube) with/or Ben, Green, Tobi and Thybulle had an all time great performance on defense by locking down 3 of the best scorers in league history (like Kawhi vs Lebron heat/sas series and Marion vs LeBron Mavs/Heat series).

If they play Joel one on one they're cooked. If you understand the type of defense deployed against that Magic team.
Because whether you think Tobias/Ben/Seth/Shake are a problem or not.... They don't have the defenders to stop them one on one from getting to the paint. They also don't have the defenders to prevent fast break points.

Your example of Orlando Magic with Dwight Howard as a centerpiece is a poor comparison. Joel is much more capable and the surrounding pieces are more multiple. It's actually much more like the Dirk led Mavs, but probably better.

It's not bias, I'm an NBA fan and don't just follow 76ers. What's happening with Brooklyn are people watch stats if their formidable big 3 and believe they'll figure it out defensively. The East is too good for a team that doesn't defend or rebound to just walk through it
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#69 » by ivysixer2000 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:47 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I think this year especially is going to present challenges for the Nets since they got Harden mid year, but I don't think anyone really understands how good the Nets will be by next year. Even the Heat needed a year to jell before taking off.

I'm still expecting Durant to hang 35ppg in the playoffs this year. They will all be ready to play and it's going to be very hard to slow them down.

Yeah with an offseason to put together a roster, they will be very good next year, although they will be a year older at that point. Father Time has never lost a battle, and health will always not be in their favor since all of them except maybe Harden has had health issues in the past.

Spencer alone will be a huge upgrade, in addition to who else they can get.

We have never seen those type of scorers on the same team, and for this season time will tell if they actually want to play defense. As of right now, they aren't playing D and really their upside is limited on D. They aren't unbeatable, as some seem to believe, but it will be a real tough task for anyone in the East to beat them, including us. Next year, they will be a nightmare, so we better just try to get them this year.
M2J
Starter

Post#70 » by M2J » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I think this year especially is going to present challenges for the Nets since they got Harden mid year, but I don't think anyone really understands how good the Nets will be by next year. Even the Heat needed a year to jell before taking off.

I agree. Next year they'll fill the holes and be a juggernaut. Even if they can get drummond this season... They still struggle defensively, even if the rebounding gets fixed. I would say that could get them through the East, but not LA
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 535

Post#71 » by PhillyNj » Sun Feb 7, 2021 10:25 pm

M2J wrote:

I agree. Next year they'll fill the holes and be a juggernaut. Even if they can get drummond this season... They still struggle defensively, even if the rebounding gets fixed. I would say that could get them through the East, but not LA

Or they get knocked out early this year, hate each other’s guts by next year than all leave at the end of the year.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 645

Post#72 » by HardenToSixers » Mon Feb 8, 2021 1:33 am

Stanford wrote:I'm not sure that's the literal definition of a gimmick

A team that was the “literal definition of a gimmick” would “literally” be a fake team outside of the normal NBA teams like the Harlem Globetrotters so it’s pretty weird to be hung up on trying to correct him of the “literal definition of a gimmick” when everybody understood his point
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#73 » by Arsenal » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:00 am

That's all well and good, but with their track records I'd say ~ 50% chance all 3 are healthy for the playoffs.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#74 » by Negrodamus » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:34 am

Arsenal wrote:

That's all well and good, but with their track records I'd say ~ 50% chance all 3 are healthy for the playoffs.

Kyrie and Durant could have played last night if COVID wasn't a thing. I don't think the injuries have been debilitating enough to keep all three off the court when it matters.
stormi
General Manager

Post#75 » by stormi » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:51 am

Stanford wrote:
/ˈɡimik/
noun

Find me the last 27th ranked defensive team to win a championship
M2J
Starter

Post#76 » by M2J » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:50 am

stormi wrote:
Stanford wrote:
/ˈɡimik/
noun

People that think that's not a big deal, are people thinking they're genius for jumping on the the bandwagon of the team with the most stars that can get their own shot again.

The East has seen teams with the multiple stars get far, but this East has improved to the point that roster construction has to be a factor. Nevermind the league as a whole.

We only have to look at last year where teams with teams that had about 4 guys that could could really get their own shot and generate offense that played great defense, got beaten and UPSET by teams that could take advantage of their weaknesses in the paint, Clippers and Celtics... and I'd say the Nets have bigger weaknesses in the paint, and I know they have worst defenders on the perimeter. The paint issues may get help, but the perimeter defense will not considering those 3 stars + Harris.
stormi
General Manager

Post#77 » by stormi » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:26 am

M2J wrote:
stormi wrote:
Stanford wrote:

People that think that's not a big deal, are people thinking they're genius for jumping on the the bandwagon of the team with the most stars that can get their own shot again.

The East has seen teams with the multiple stars get far, but this East has improved to the point that roster construction has to be a factor. Nevermind the league as a whole.

We only have to look at last year where teams with teams that had about 4 guys that could could really get their own shot and generate offense that played great defense, got beaten and UPSET by teams that could take advantage of their weaknesses in the paint, Clippers and Celtics... and I'd say the Nets have bigger weaknesses in the paint, and I know they have worst defenders on the perimeter. The paint issues may get help, but the perimeter defense will not considering those 3 stars + Harris.

I think with the Nets it's silly to be decreeing or dismissing them as of now, because they're unlike any team we've ever seen in NBA history. And I am a believer in concentrated talent usually winning out, but things like depth and defending and coaching continuously prove to be timeless variables come playoff time and they check none of those boxes. As they're currently constructed they probably are better than us, because we also have glaring issues, but I don't see them winning the entire thing. It's just wishful thinking to disregard a scenario of a defense that poor to not run into a matchup where they get scheme'd and exploited a couple of times in a 7 games series and that be the deciding factor, especially with their inability to disrupt anything at the paint. Not only a place for bigs to go to work, but the layup is the most efficient shot in basketball; with no real protector down there it's open season for opposing forwards and guards. They're just a weird team, but definitely not infallible.
M2J
Starter

Post#78 » by M2J » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:23 am

stormi wrote:
M2J wrote:
stormi wrote:

I think with the Nets it's silly to be decreeing or dismissing them as of now, because they're unlike any team we've ever seen in modern NBA history. And I am a believer in talent usually winning out but things like depth and defending and coaching are extremely critical come playoff time and they check none of those boxes. As they're currently constructed they probably are better than us, because we also have glaring issues, but I don't see them winning the entire thing. It's just wishful thinking to disregard a scenario of a defense that poor to not run into a matchup where they get exploited a couple of times in a 7 games series and that be the deciding factor, especially with their inability to disrupt anything at the paint. Not only a place for bigs to go to work, but the layup is the most efficient shot in basketball and with no real protector down there it's open season for opposing forwards and guards. They're just a weird team, but not infallible and definitely not in the conversation with the Hampton 5 Warriors where the season was a foregone conclusion from opening night.

Well I for one think it's not that much of a gray area.They're a well built, elite team offensively. Their problem was the trade in-season made it very difficult to built to build properly. They'll get there, but currently.... No.

It's pretty black and white... All time bad defense and elite offense will not be enough. They may not need to be top 10, but at least middle of the pack.
JudahMax
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#79 » by JudahMax » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:34 am

Absolutely we can beat the nets in a 7 game series!!!! My prediction is we would win 4-2
JudahMax
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#80 » by JudahMax » Mon Feb 8, 2021 9:39 am

The nets have literally no shot with that defense in a 7 game series vs us, smh the sixers can get stops and the nets cannot! Defense wins championships and the nets simply don’t have it on defense! I don’t care about all this harden kyrie and Durant scoring crap when none of them can defend, they legit don’t have any defenders out there,

Return to Philadelphia 76ers