Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Re: The Wizards tenure of Scott Brooks 

Post#101 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Digging a little deeper into the extremely hot shooting from our opposition:

On shots at the rim, teams typically allow a percentage of .657. The Wizards rank 29th, allowing .746.
On shots 3-10 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .417. The Wizards rank 30th, allowing .547. :o
On shots 10-16 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .427. The Wizards rank 29th, allowing .487.
On 2PT shots 16-22 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .421. The Wizards rank 19th, allowing .438.
On 3's, teams typically allow a percentage of .365. The Wizards are 21st, allowing .377.

One can really see what an impact a true rim protector could make on this club. If we had an above average shot blocker at the rim who could force opponents to shoot at a league average efficiency at the rim and from 3-10 feet (with all other defensive metrics remaining the same: rebounds, steals, etc.), our defense would improve by about 7 points per 100 possessions. If that rim protector also managed to reduce our FTA's allowed to league average, the defense would improve by another 5 points.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect that one rim protecting center can have this kind of effect on all shots at the rim, but it at least illustrates the rather specific nature of our defensive problems. We're doing everything right except we're yielding an incredibly high FG% at or near the rim. Fix that, and our defense goes from awful to great. A 7-point improvement on defense would improve our defense from 26th to 8th. A 9 point improvement gets us to 2nd.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,048

Post#102 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:42 pm

nate33 wrote:Digging a little deeper into the extremely hot shooting from our opposition:

On shots at the rim, teams typically allow a percentage of .657. The Wizards rank 29th, allowing .746.
On shots 3-10 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .417. The Wizards rank 30th, allowing .547. :o
On shots 10-16 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .427. The Wizards rank 29th, allowing .487.
On 2PT shots 16-22 feet, teams typically allow a percentage of .421. The Wizards rank 19th, allowing .438.
On 3's, teams typically allow a percentage of .365. The Wizards are 21st, allowing .377.

One can really see what an impact a true rim protector could make on this club. If we had an above average shot blocker at the rim who could force opponents to shoot at a league average efficiency at the rim and from 3-10 feet (with all other defensive metrics remaining the same: rebounds, steals, etc.), our defense would improve by about 7 points per 100 possessions. If that rim protector also managed to reduce our FTA's allowed to league average, the defense would improve by another 5 points.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect that one rim protecting center can have this kind of effect on all shots at the rim, but it at least illustrates the rather specific nature of our defensive problems. We're doing everything right except we're yielding an incredibly high FG% at or near the rim. Fix that, and our defense goes from awful to great. A 7-point improvement on defense would improve our defense from 26th to 8th. A 9 point improvement gets us to 2nd.

Check this one out.

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#103 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 pm

queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:Digging a little deeper into the extremely hot shooting from our opposition:

Check this one out.

Thanks to both. Interesting stuff.

I for one am at fault of frequently criticizing Brooks et al, but this is certainly food for thought.

What is clear is that we lack a true rim protector. 29th at shots at the rim... :roll:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#104 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:27 pm

When you factor the general unluckiness of our opponent shooting, plus the unluckiness of our win/loss record relative to our point differential, the Wizards might actually be a pretty good team. With normal luck, we could just as easily be 7-6.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#105 » by doclinkin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:51 pm

nate33 wrote:When you factor the general unluckiness of our opponent shooting, plus the unluckiness of our win/loss record relative to our point differential, the Wizards might actually be a pretty good team. With normal luck, we could just as easily be 7-6.

With better shot selection by Westbrook, and no 3 PG line-ups we could have been a 6-7 team. Actually I think the efficiency of the midrange shooting may in fact be a consequence of attacking players being able to essentially get open shots shooting over the heads of smaller defenders. The small quick guards can stay in front of them to prevent lay-ups and dunks, they just can't challenge shots and make them miss when they do stop penetration.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#106 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 pm

That chart is interesting! Is it really just "bad luck" that opponents shoot such a high % on WO 3's against us? Or could one dig deeper into what "wide open" refers to -- to find out whether we're doing something that contributes to their success.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#107 » by Eli Babak » Sat Feb 6, 2021 1:35 pm

So... the Wiz are 5-14 now. Brooks has to be fired if (hopefully when) they lose to the Bobcats? Right? Right?? :(
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#108 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 2:22 pm

Eli Babak wrote:So... the Wiz are 5-14 now. Brooks has to be fired if (hopefully when) they lose to the Bobcats? Right? Right?? :(

I really don't think so.

I think they'll look at it as if those 4 Covid protocol games don't count. Ignore those, and we're 5-5 over our last 10 games.

I think we need a 4 game losing streak here (against bad competition) to really move the needle. Our next 4 games are:

@ Charlotte
@ Chicago
vs Toronto
vs New York

In other news, last night was pretty good for the tank. Miami pulled ahead of us by 1.5 games. New Orleans also won and have joined the tier ahead of us which includes Dallas, Miami, OKC, Chicago and Orlando. We are comfortably in the bottom tier of teams alongside Minnesota and Detroit.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#109 » by NatP4 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 2:40 pm

I love watching the assistant coaching staff (that Brooks brought along with him) on the sideline during games. They absolutely throw a grade school level tantrum every time an opponent makes a shot whenever we are down by some 38 points. It’s hilarious. They seem every bit as simple minded as Brooks.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#110 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 6, 2021 2:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
Eli Babak wrote:So... the Wiz are 5-14 now. Brooks has to be fired if (hopefully when) they lose to the Bobcats? Right? Right?? :(

I really don't think so.

I think they'll look at it as if those 4 Covid protocol games don't count. Ignore those, and we're 5-5 over our last 10 games.

I think we need a 4 game losing streak here (against bad competition) to really move the needle. Our next 4 games are:

@ Charlotte
@ Chicago
vs Toronto
vs New York

In other news, last night was pretty good for the tank. Miami pulled ahead of us by 1.5 games. New Orleans also won and have joined the tier ahead of us which includes Dallas, Miami, OKC, Chicago and Orlando. We are comfortably in the bottom tier of teams alongside Minnesota and Detroit.

And the more I think about it, the more I think they won't fire Brooks.

It would be one thing if we had an assistant coach with real head coach potential, but I don't think that's the case. Our defensive coordinator captained the league's worst defense in 2 of the last 3 years. So if we fire Brooks, we will end up with an incompetent assistant. We certainly won't go out and try and find a permanent replacement if all this Ujiri talk is real.

Credit to Brooks for maintaining job security by hiring incompetent replacements. That guy is playing 4D chess.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#111 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 7, 2021 4:43 am

So I'm who should take over?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#112 » by Benjammin » Sun Feb 7, 2021 5:52 pm

This is pathetic. If you have to share this in public you've lost the team. Of course he never had it. https://sports.yahoo.com/scott-brooks-wants-wizards-players-001756905.html

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Frichuela » Sun Feb 7, 2021 7:49 pm

Benjammin wrote:This is pathetic. If you have to share this in public you've lost the team. Of course he never had it. https://sports.yahoo.com/scott-brooks-wants-wizards-players-001756905.html

He has to go!!!
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#114 » by TGW » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:25 pm

He won’t be fired, even though it’s the obvious decision. Like dat said in another thread, Turd is too egotistical to succumb to fan pressure. He thinks it’s a sign of strong leadership not to, and if the wizards somehow strung a few wins together, he’d be on his Twitter posting some quote about being a leader, not succumbing to public pressure, etc. he has hard one for that type of stuff.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#115 » by smoothSeph » Sun Feb 7, 2021 8:35 pm

Benjammin wrote:This is pathetic. If you have to share this in public you've lost the team. Of course he never had it. https://sports.yahoo.com/scott-brooks-wants-wizards-players-001756905.html

Wait, isn't Scott's thing that he doesn't watch film?? What a joke.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by Frichuela » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Please take a look at the video in the links below.

This chap breaks down a number of defensive mistakes committed during the game vs. Charlotte the other day. Embarrassing is an understatement!

His conclusion is Brooks has to go, with which I fully concur. And he can take with him Mike Longabardi and never set foot in the DMV again, pleaseeeeee

Read on Twitter
?s=20

;feature=youtu.be
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by Frichuela » Wed Mar 3, 2021 6:54 am

Time to re-float this.

A semi-competent franchise would have caned Brooks a long time ago but we are the Wiz...

1) Lack of ball movement on O. How often do we see Bertans, Rui, Deni, Matthews etc. standing in the same spot watching Beal/Westbrook ISO?
2) Subpar D.
3) Lack of accountability for his stars, see the turnovers and awful D of the Beal/Westbrook combo tonight.
4) Not able to use and develop his young players appropriately and put them in the right spots to succeed.
5) Questionable line-ups, such as his love for midget ball. If Ish was not injured, I am convinced our record would be much worse.

Is there anything he does well apart from sucking up to Tommy and Leonsis?
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#118 » by Eli Babak » Wed Mar 3, 2021 1:05 pm

It is what it is. I'm tired of talking about his weaknesses and stupid decisions. Anyway - Brooks will not be fired, but there's absolutely no reason to give him an extension.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#119 » by nate33 » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:56 pm

I just want to point out that over the last 16 games (basically since recovering from the Covid epidemic), the Wizards have a DRtg of 111.8, which ranks 15th best in the league. That's actually pretty impressive given that we're doing it with backup centers and a trio of forwards (Hachimura, Avdija, Mathews) who each have played less than 82 games in their respective careers.

The problem isn't defense. It's offense. In that same stretch, the Wizards are posting an ORtg of 108.1, which ranks 24th in the league. Why is our offense so bad when we play a bunch of guys (Beal, Westbrook, Bertans, Mathews, Hachimura) who are considered good offense/bad defense players?
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#120 » by smoothSeph » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:54 pm

;ab_channel=BBALLBREAKDOWN

Wasn't sure where else to post this. Pretty good breakdown on the Beal/Westbrook connection.

Return to Washington Wizards