Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

RandlesCornrows
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,603

Re: Rookie of The Year Thread 

Post#1141 » by RandlesCornrows » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:25 am

Han Solo wrote:How did Saddiq Bey fall to 19?
Wanted Bey at 8th kid is good
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,491

Post#1142 » by GoBobs » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:21 am

DCasey91 wrote:Anyone have Balls stats when he plays in the starting lineup or even 30+ mins? I bet they look superb for a rookie.

He is in my mind the runaway ROY now that he’s playing starter minutes. Definite all star talent, I wonder 3 years from now who will join him (Williams/Halliburton or even a darkhorse maybe?.

One things for sure he look the part. He has one the sickest floaters I’ve ever seen. One thing that surprised me with him and Luka was their scoring potential more so than young.

Knew they would be excellent passers/ballhandlers/rebounders/playmakers from day one. They are essentially huge PG’s. So the ceiling is extremely high.

But Ball looks like a 20/7/8 guy with above av defense (he’s got his brother’s defensive innate instincts just lengthier and taller). A taller/longer Jason Kidd is a scary player. Ball could very well be that.

As a Starter (6 game sample) 21.7 pts 5.3 reb 6.3 ast on 45/48/89 in 33 min per game
In 30+ minutes (9 game sample) 20.8 pts 6.4 reb 7.4 ast on 46/46/84 in 33 min per game
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#1143 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:24 am

DCasey91 wrote:Anyone have Balls stats when he plays in the starting lineup or even 30+ mins? I bet they look superb for a rookie.

He is in my mind the runaway ROY now that he’s playing starter minutes. Definite all star talent, I wonder 3 years from now who will join him (Williams/Halliburton or even a darkhorse maybe?.

One things for sure he look the part. He has one the sickest floaters I’ve ever seen. One thing that surprised me with him and Luka was their scoring potential more so than young.

Knew they would be excellent passers/ballhandlers/rebounders/playmakers from day one. They are essentially huge PG’s. So the ceiling is extremely high.

But Ball looks like a 20/7/8 guy with above av defense (he’s got his brother’s defensive innate instincts just lengthier and taller). A taller/longer Jason Kidd is a scary player. Ball could very well be that.

Since getting in the starting lineup Ball is averaging right at 23, 6 and 6 on 49% shooting. Also averaging close to 2 steals a game.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1144 » by Liver_Pooty » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:25 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Since getting in the starting lineup Ball is averaging right at 23, 6 and 6 on 49% shooting. Also averaging close to 2 steals a game.

Nevermind my man above me had more precise stats.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1145 » by DCasey91 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 am

Thanks guys for putting up the stats.

Small sample size but the numbers look extremely promising going forward. Rookies hit a wall somewhat but man Ball plays with such energy and high motor plus being overseas and on a bad team last year I don’t think that it’ll impact him all that much. The shooting/shot selection narrative was right for him but it translated well but everything else was dead wrong. Lack of maturity, ego, poor attitude/ethic was bogus.

From watching last year he’s made a huge jump but it’s more of a technical aspect than a personality trait one. He flashed so much great potential and his floor was very high (like a suped up high energy bigger Rubio that needed direction (no
surprise he’s a kid, more than anything).

Would be exciting as heck for the hornets fans to make the playoffs finally for the team’s sake. Either way the future is very promising
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,553

Post#1146 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:30 am

Ball is the runaway winner. Nearly unanimous. Halliburton runner up.
you can't kill me - i was born dead
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#1147 » by GSP » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:42 am

BrookLyn keeps taking Ls this season

LOL @ trading his draft rights for Landry Crapmet
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant

Post#1148 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 am

GSP wrote:

Feels like a lot of teams could have used him (Boston included)
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,649

Post#1149 » by GSP » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:59 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
GSP wrote:

Im happy with Pritchard. Perfect twoway guard to pair with the Jays and Smart for the next few years. Bey wouldve been nice but we didnt really need a forward
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant

Post#1150 » by JimmyPlopper » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:11 am

GSP wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:
GSP wrote:

Im happy with Pritchard. Perfect twoway guard to pair with the Jays and Smart for the next few years. Bey wouldve been nice but we didnt really need a forward

It's not Pritchard, but compared to Nesmith where they seemed to miss out. Nesmith has been slow going - hopefully he picks it up
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,615

Post#1151 » by oldshoolballer » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Lamelo is a game changer he's lifted the lowly Hornets into a playoff contender.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#1152 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:15 pm

All things Considered, for what was being called one of the worst classes ever.. this class is turning out to be not so bad. I see multiple all stars that were selected in the lottery, and quite a few contributors (possibly more) that were drafted after the lottery
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,815

Post#1153 » by BigShot Bojan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:26 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Lamelo is a game changer he's lifted the lowly Hornets into a playoff contender.

Pump the brakes brother....he's been good but not a game changer...hornets have had alot of overral improvement, from Rozier finally playing well again to gordon heyward becoming all star caliber again , to cody Zeller and miles bridges both lifting up thier own game
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Post#1154 » by MotownMadness » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#1155 » by DS17 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:51 pm

After losing Christian wood for next to nothing, I’m happy the pistons have made some good decisions by drafting Bey, signing Grant, and Jackson.

They would have been a legit playoff team if they kept wood and traded the 8th(?) pick for another good player.

But I understand they have bitter goals in mind rather than being just a playoff team.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#1156 » by HotelVitale » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:50 pm

DCasey91 wrote: Small sample size but the numbers look extremely promising going forward. Rookies hit a wall somewhat but man Ball plays with such energy and high motor plus being overseas and on a bad team last year I don’t think that it’ll impact him all that much.

I don't think he'll hit a wall and stop playing with energy, but that's different from being able to keep up 21/6/6 on 59% TS. Ball has pretty amazing feel, anticipation, etc so don't want to sell him short, I would still expect him to have some stretches where he's playing a lot worse than that. This isn't a scientific observation but it seems like rookies who aren't great shooters or dominant athletes tend to have more ups and down with their efficiency especially.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#1157 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:31 am

knicks85 wrote:
oldshoolballer wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

Pump the brakes brother....he's been good but not a game changer...hornets have had alot of overral improvement, from Rozier finally playing well again to gordon heyward becoming all star caliber again , to cody Zeller and miles bridges both lifting up thier own game

Lol. Hes absolutely been a game changer.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,285

Post#1158 » by Zenzibar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:38 am

Skyyr
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#1159 » by Skyyr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:44 am

Ben Simmons would get my vote for sure. If not Simmons then Quickley.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#1160 » by Klomp » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:48 am

As a reserve, Anthony Edwards was averaging 13.0/2.8/1.6 on .355/.304/.816 on 26.9 usage in 25.2 mpg (88 ORtg / 120 DRtg)
As a starter, Anthony Edwards is averaging 16.4/4.4/3.2 on .429/.358/.789 on 22.7 usage in 31.1 mpg (108 ORtg / 115 DRtg)

He's played a total of 106 minutes with Karl-Anthony Towns.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to The General Board