ImageImageImageImageImage

Tracking Immanuel Quickley's Rookie Statistics

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,923

Tracking Immanuel Quickley's Rookie Statistics 

Post#1 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:28 pm

After looking a little deeper into his numbers last night, I thought it would be helpful to have a place where we could see how our boy is trending throughout his rookie season. This kid has really been something so far to the eye test, but the thing that has me unbelievably hyped is how much advanced metrics absolutely love what he's doing. The deeper-dive stats historically destroy rookies, and especially rookie guards, but Immanuel's advanced metrics are even better than his impressive traditional numbers at this point.

Obviously things can change, but we're now 30 games into the season and there are a bunch of statistical lights flashing above IQ right now - lights that normally aren't associated with anything but the best combo guard rookies. And certainly not 25th overall picks in the draft.

Post any Quickley statistical observations in here as the season progresses, and to get it started here's some of what he's done through last night's (2/15) games:

• 3rd in raw PPG (12.5) for rookies, behind LaMelo (14.6) and Edwards (14.3), despite those two logging 50% more minutes. If we adjust for playing time, we find Quick is...
  • 1st in scoring per36 (23.3). In fact, that puts IQ at 25th overall amongst all qualified players in the entire NBA, and ahead of guys like Sexton, Harden, Middleton, Hayward, and Randle.
  • 1st amongst all rookies in NBA.com's all-encompassing PIE (Player Impact Estimate), at 12.7. Lamelo (12.4) and Haliburton (11.4) are 2nd and 3rd. When removing the rookie filter, Quickley's 12.7 PIE puts him 66th in the NBA, and higher than Brogdon, Ayton, Hayward, Jrue, D. Mitchell, Fox, VanVleet, and Booker.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Win Shares with 1.7, fractionally ahead Haliburton's own 1.7. He trails only LaMelo (1.8) despite WS being a counting stat and Ball (as well as Haliburton) playing 50% more minutes than him. In fact, if we convert WS to a rate stat to adjust for playing time, IQ is...
  • 1st amongst all rookies who have played at least 100 minutes in WS/48, at .164. This takes raw Win Shares and adjusts for playing time. Xavier TIllman (.142) and Isaiah Stewart (.122) are 2nd and 3rd. Haliburton (.114) and Ball (.113) drop to 4th and 5th. Amongst all NBA players IQ's .164 ties him with Julius, and places him above Ben Simmons, Trae, Jaylen Brown, SGA, LaVine, Beal, and Mitchell.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Offensive Rating (111.4) behind only Desmond Bane's 112.3. In contrast to Bane, though, he is...
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Unassisted FG% (67.0% of his FGM were unassisted), which is a strong indication that he can create his own shot. He trails only Cole Anthony's 70.3%. LaMelo is at 52.6%, and Haliburton is 37.8%. Bane ranks dead last at 12.0% - a pure catch and shoot guy.
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Net Rating (5.5) which is the difference between a player's offensive rating and his defensive rating. Quickley trails only Jaden McDaniels' 5.9. To put this in perspective, LaMelo is currently posting a -0.8, and Haliburton is at a -5.5. Removing the rookie filter, IQ's 5.5 puts him ahead of Tatum, Draymond, Butler, CP3, Booker, Lillard, and Trae.
  • 1st in FTA (73) amongst all rookies, despite play hundreds of minutes less than others at the top of the list.
  • 3rd in FTr (.299, which is the ratio of FTA to FGA) amongst all rookies, behind only two bigs, Precious and Wiseman. He's lightyears ahead of the other rookie guards. League-wide, his .299 FTr places him just ahead of Booker, Lou, Westbrook, Hayward, Lavine, and Steph.
  • 2nd in Turnover Ratio (6.7%) amongst rookies, behind only Tyrese Maxey (5.8%).
  • 3rd in Assist Rate (23.9%) amongst rookies, behind LaMelo (32.4%) and Haliburton (25.2%).
  • 2nd in Asst/TO ratio (2.83) amongst rookies, behind only Haliburton (3.20)
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Re: Tracking Immanuel Quickley's Rookie Statistics 

Post#2 » by JXL » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:54 pm

In other words:

GIVE HIM HIS DAMN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR TROPHY ALREADY
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,311

Post#4 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Expand his role and see if it holds up. If it does....we won the draft!! I love this kid and everything he does/says. These are fun times as a fan.
:beer: RIP mags
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#5 » by Kampuchea » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:58 pm

We can take Haliburton and IQ both? That would have been an epic draft.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,315

Post#6 » by DOT » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 pm

He's in a catch-22 because Thibs is a stubborn coach

If he plays poorly, that justifies him being the backup

If he plays well, that means he's in the right role and we shouldn't change it.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#7 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 pm

JXL wrote:In other words:

GIVE HIM HIS DAMN ROOKIE OF THE YEAR TROPHY ALREADY

:lol:

The point is that he's been really, REALLY impressive in his short time so far, and that if he could keep this production up with increased minutes he'd be as good or better than anyone in this rookie class.

It's fascinating that he's been THIS good analytically.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Post#8 » by ellobo » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Kampuchea wrote:We can take Haliburton and IQ both? That would have been an epic draft.

How about a three guard rotation of Haliburton, IQ, and SGA?

I'm not going to include Donovan Mitchell because I missed on him too. SGA and Haliburton were guys where, when the Knicks were on the clock, I was like, "Good, at least we get that guy." You can always play the game of "with hindsight, if we had picked the real BPA, look who we could have had." But SGA and Haliburton were guys who not only seemed obvious choices, but are exactly the kind of guys I want to be able to watch and root for on my team.

BTW, I wanted no part of Michael Porter Jr. I was pretty much convinced that he would never play NBA basketball, and even if he did, he seemed like exactly the kind of guy I DON'T want to watch and root for on my team.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,349

Post#9 » by rajajackal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Kampuchea wrote:We can take Haliburton and IQ both? That would have been an epic draft.

would be a great pairing. same reason i wanna see IQ/frank backcourt play some minutes. for all the years we watched frank, we essentially clamored for a guard specifically like IQ next to him to make it pop
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#10 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
  • 2nd amongst all rookies in Unassisted FG% (67.0% of his FGM were unassisted), which is a strong indication that he can create his own shot. He trails only Cole Anthony's 70.3%. LaMelo is at 52.6%, and Haliburton is 37.8%. Bane ranks dead last at 12.0% - a pure catch and shoot guy.

To put this one in perspective, IQ's 67.0% UAFGM ranks 18th in the NBA, just ahead of Kyrie, Butler, and Kawhi.

And interestingly enough, Elfrid is one spot above him at 17th. He and Teague are the only real trash players in the UAFGM top-20.
Crackerjack465
Senior
And1: 673

Post#11 » by Crackerjack465 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 pm

It does make me a little sad to think we could've had Halliburton and IQ for years - but - I love what we have. Sometimes picks hit, sometimes they don't. It's what we do next to correct those mistakes and be more forward looking that matters.

I hope Obi turns into something more and gets some more time with Mitch sidelined. I'm excited for the next few years and glad to see we are finally trending upwards after years and years of bad mistakes.

I hope Quickley can just continue to improve and maybe eventually become the full time starter.
PeteW
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,584

Post#12 » by PeteW » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:28 am

How did you not put that he's first in PER too

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/rookies

I love that hes already 3rd in the league in free throw percentage.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,871

Post#13 » by 8516knicks » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:50 am

PeteW wrote:How did you not put that he's first in PER too

Obi not bad also there at #14 ahead of Cole, Deni, Williams, Okoro, Vassell, Lewis among others.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,245

Post#14 » by The Lamma » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 am

PeteW wrote:How did you not put that he's first in PER too

Give Selby a break mang. That was an awesome and thorough original post.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,094

Post#15 » by stuporman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:17 am

Ball has the opportunity and stats to win ROY so IQ will be on the all-rookie team and this will have to satisfy our credibility itch.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#16 » by fatalogic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Ball is definitely ROY because of Rbs, asts and minutes but Quickly has a chance to be in there with the top 5 players of this draft over their careers. Once he gets stronger and picks up some moves to get to the basket he will have a package similar to Steph and Dame. With his work ethic and this coaching staff I'd be surprised if he wasn't an all-star in a few years.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#17 » by blueNorange » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

great video.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,976

Post#18 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm

blueNorange wrote:great video.

why he said, "the literal worst basketball player i've ever seen?!" lawwwwd. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Montmorencie
Bench Warmer
And1: 839

Post#19 » by Montmorencie » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I like the combination of deep threes and floaters. This is deadly and very rare seen. Puts a lot of pressure on defenders.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#20 » by blueNorange » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
blueNorange wrote:great video.

why he said, "the literal worst basketball player i've ever seen?!" lawwwwd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

just checked and that kid(literally, doesn't turn 20 until december) is really struggling, 24% from the field.

he should be in the g league, being 7 foot tall and 190 pounds in the nba isn't going to result in positive numbers.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks