is the jury still out on marvin bagley iii

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

is the jury still out on marvin bagley iii 

Post#1 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 am

bagley

Spoiler:

fox

Spoiler:

haliburton

Spoiler:

as you can see, bagley is in his third season and yet theres no gradual improvement in his game, i repeat "gradual", not some sudden big improvement... fox improved his game gradually, season by season and it even looks like haliburton could overtake bagley next season, so does that say something about bagley or not

im not saying hes a bust, still only 21 yo, but for a guy who was a second pick, youd expect some development so far
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Re: is the jury still out on marvin bagley iii 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 am

He’s a bust
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 603

Post#3 » by sackings916 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 am

Duke4life831 wrote:He’s a bust

Bagley is 21 years old and missed pretty much his entire sophomore season, and a quarter thru his 3rd season you have concluded he is a bust. Please explain.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#4 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:40 am

he plays for the Kings and they drafted a superstar type of player in Fox. so ya, Bagley's growth has stunted. plus the **** organization they call the Kings.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:41 am

He's a bust. He was overpicked by at least 5-6 spots because the other top picks were refusing to meet with the Kings and Bagley was publicly saying he wanted to be a King. Which is why the guy who ran that draft no longer has that job with the team.

It was a bad pick, and he's done nothing in coming on 3 years to show any growth. Bigs who won't defend and can't space have no value and its made worse by being overdrafted so he makes big money for a rookie.

If a team offers an expiring and a 2nd they should take it as an addition by subtraction move. Maybe he eventually figures it out, but the Kings are starting to put some pieces into place and shouldn't be wasting more time with this guy.

I get fans just look at age and draft spot and think just give him time, but he's only got one more rookie year left and again at a big number so there is no value there. Smart franchises are willing to cut their losses. Fans hold on to the bitter end--as sadly do poorly run franchises and then he has a 12 game stretch late next year of 20/10 so they give him 4/$100M thinking he's arrived and now you've really hamstrung the franchise.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,180

Post#6 » by Bologna Smasher » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 am

I think so. I still think he has all-star potential, but I think any hopes of superstar potential are basically gone. I think people forget that he's barely played over a season worth of games. He still has a lot of time. Right now I'd say he's in the tier of guys like Julius Randle (before this season) type of player rather than the Chris Bosh/Kevin Garnett that a lot of us were hoping for when he was drafted.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#7 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 am

He's shooting more 3s and making a higher percentage. For a big that needs to transition to playing on the perimeter, that's not a bad sign.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,237

Post#8 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:46 am

He has been a disappointment for sure. He won't be a star. But that's not the end of the world. Not every high pick will turn out to be a star.

I would say Ayton is equally as disappointing as Bagley. He got the point god on his team yet he doesn't score much.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 603

Post#9 » by sackings916 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am

Texas Chuck wrote:He's a bust. He was overpicked by at least 5-6 spots because the other top picks were refusing to meet with the Kings and Bagley was publicly saying he wanted to be a King. Which is why the guy who ran that draft no longer has that job with the team.

It was a bad pick, and he's done nothing in coming on 3 years to show any growth. Bigs who won't defend and can't space have no value and its made worse by being overdrafted so he makes big money for a rookie.

If a team offers an expiring and a 2nd they should take it as an addition by subtraction move. Maybe he eventually figures it out, but the Kings are starting to put some pieces into place and shouldn't be wasting more time with this guy.

I get fans just look at age and draft spot and think just give him time, but he's only got one more rookie year left and again at a big number so there is no value there. Smart franchises are willing to cut their losses. Fans hold on to the bitter end--as sadly do poorly run franchises and then he has a 12 game stretch late next year of 20/10 so they give him 4/$100M thinking he's arrived and now you've really hamstrung the franchise.

Have to disagree with you Chuck. Bagley has made a lot of progress in his 3 ball as well as his overall awareness and feel for the game. Even made a little progress defensively recently. I still think he has a chance and hope the Kings are patient with him.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#10 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:53 am

sackings916 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:He's a bust. He was overpicked by at least 5-6 spots because the other top picks were refusing to meet with the Kings and Bagley was publicly saying he wanted to be a King. Which is why the guy who ran that draft no longer has that job with the team.

Have to disagree with you Chuck. Bagley has made a lot of progress in his 3 ball as well as his overall awareness and feel for the game. Even made a little progress defensively recently. I still think he has a chance and hope the Kings are patient with him.

I second this. If his 3 ball comes around then he’s suddenly very valuable.

Julius Randle took a leap in his 7th season. I’m not ready to give up on Bagley yet.
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,699

Post#11 » by JohnWillow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 am

Unfortunately I agree with Texas Chuck, it's just so damn dissapointing. But even with all that said, I'm still holding out hope that he atleast can stay healthy for once all season and be an ok 3rd or 4th option for playoff team, because he has improved his corner three a lot this year which was a good sign to me.

Just need to finally cut ties with Luke Walton and hope that Bagley SR finally stfu.

We have our backcourt for the future, now we finally need to blow it up and let McNair start from the beginning (trade Buddy, Barnes, CoJo, Bjelica).
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,471

Post#12 » by dc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 am

He just hasn't show anything that stands out. He's young and he' not in any danger of being out of the league, but just not showing many signs of being an impact guy.

Can't space the floor, though he has shot the 3 better this year. Not a back to the basket scorer. Hasn't shown to be great on the P&R. Not a good defender. Not a great passer. Not great at C, which basically makes him strictly a PF. Pretty athletic and runs the floor well, but not a freak. Not undersized (for a PF), but not huge. Not really that long.

He's just a "meh" player in almost every aspect of the game. Doesn't strike me as a guy opposing teams are ever going to worry about matching up with.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,764

Post#13 » by Plossum » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 am

He’s still young so deserves some time to keep developing his game. But all signs point towards a bust. You’d be worried if you were the Kings having wasted a #2 pick on him in that draft. Looks similar to the Hawks taking Marvin Williams over Deron and CP3.
#LockUpChuck
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,060

Post#14 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 am

I won't go as far as to say that the Kings need to trade him, but one thing people often forget is that no player develops in a vacuum. The development of one player impacts the development of players around him. You play a big who doesn't space the floor or protect the rim for the sake of his development? Then you're hurting the development of Fox and Haliburton by setting them up to fail.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:16 am

IMO a biased take from someone who has a posting history of downplaying the top of the 2018 draft sans Luka

Do you know, or have any clue he shoots near 40% from 3?

Luka met and had dinner with Vlade/Vivek in person and never stated he wouldn’t play for the kings

He’s 21 with a lot of natural talent. No, the kings have no need to spend 11 mil differently next year
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#16 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:

I won't go as far as to say that the Kings need to trade him, but one thing people often forget is that no player develops in a vacuum. The development of one player impacts the development of players around him. You play a big who doesn't space the floor or protect the rim for the sake of his development? Then you're hurting the development of Fox and Haliburton by setting them up to fail.

He spaces the floor fine for his position and age and has tremendous athleticism to eventually be a plus on defense
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#17 » by Dan Z » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:19 am

Would you still ask this question if he was the 10th pick in the draft instead of 2?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#18 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:21 am

Texas_Chuck imo has a predilection to downplaying the other top picks of the 2018 draft

He compared Trae Young to Mahmoud Abdul Rauf last year and you can see his history with Ayton and Jackson by searching him
shotsquatch
Sixth Man
And1: 3,519

Post#19 » by shotsquatch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:22 am

Yeah the jury is still out -- and they're not coming back, because the trial is over.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#20 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 am

Bologna Smasher wrote:I think so. I still think he has all-star potential, but I think any hopes of superstar potential are basically gone. I think people forget that he's barely played over a season worth of games. He still has a lot of time. Right now I'd say he's in the tier of guys like Julius Randle (before this season) type of player rather than the Chris Bosh/Kevin Garnett that a lot of us were hoping for when he was drafted.

That has nothing to do with the term “bust” man.

Bust means he won’t be a player at all

Return to The General Board