SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach" 

Post#21 » by Phish Tank » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 am

RiRuHoops wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Saunders ain't the issue in Minny

He's not the only issue, but definitely an issue.

their cornerstone players are a bigger issue
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,772

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach" 

Post#22 » by life_saver » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 am

I was almost thinking of stopping watching Wolves this season...mainly due to Saunders...he has been so disappointing...his rotations were bad (worst was his stubborness of starting Okogie)..crunch time management, execution were even worse..number of leads Wolves consistently blow in final Quarter has become painful to watch. This season alone, Wolves led at some point of 4th Quarter in 19 out of 31 games but they only won 7 of those 19 games...that's how bad their 4th Quarter execution has been. Offense has also become really disgusting to watch..so yeah not a surprise he is fired.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#23 » by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 am

I know how much KAT likes baby Saunders and always goes to bat for him, even going so far as to deflect criticism onto himself, but Ryan was out of his league and overmatched. The writing was on the wall a while ago.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,276

Post#24 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:32 am

Nobody wants Pop's coaches anymore with Nurse around.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#25 » by Jcool0 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:33 am

Phish Tank wrote:
RiRuHoops wrote:

As a Bulls fan i know first hand bad coaching can tank your team.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,496

Post#26 » by bboyskinnylegs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 am

I wonder who fills Finch's role on the Raptors now
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#27 » by raptor jesus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:36 am

HayKee wrote:
mademan wrote:Bjorken and Finch.. Nick Nurse starting a decent coaching tree.

For what it's worth Finch was an assistant to Nurse for all of 2 months. He was on Gentry's staff last year.

Nurse also previously coached under Finch for the British national team. So I think the tree goes Finch -> Nurse -> Finch. In a sense, Finch is his own Grandpa.
Metin91
Senior
And1: 2

Post#28 » by Metin91 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 am

I'd suggest you watch some of the wolves games this year, his rotations and play calling this season have been abysmal.

Go and watch the last 5 mins of the toronto game even the play by play commentation Jim Peterson couldn't believe he stayed with rubio even after 3 consecutive turnovers.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#29 » by Phish Tank » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:37 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
RiRuHoops wrote:

As a Bulls fan i know first hand bad coaching can tank your team.

Oh I don't disagree. Especially with your team and Boylen.

I just think there are some fatal flaws in both KAT and D'Lo's game that I'm not necessarily sure coaching can truly fix.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#30 » by Prez » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:38 am

This is an awesome move by Minnesota, one of the best coaching candidates out there and was the guy I was praying the Bucks would get if/when they fire Bud lol.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 am

no disrespek to Saunders but tbh the only reason he got the job in the first place was because of who he was and didn't necessarily earn it...he might have a future in the NBA but he really needs to grind now and prove it.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#33 » by spacemonkey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 am

clyde21 wrote:no disrespek to Saunders but tbh the only reason he got the job in the first place was because of who he was and didn't necessarily earn...he might have a future in the NBA but he really needs to grind now and prove it.

It was definitely nepotism and he was given a long leash, too long probably due to obvious reasons. There's not a single Twolves fan who thought that he was their long term coach.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#34 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:42 am

I'm expecting dlo to make a miraculous recovery.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,050

Post#35 » by Cubbies2120 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:44 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Nobody wants Pop's coaches anymore with Nurse around.

That's cute

Nurse has a long, long way to go to have a 'coaching tree' like Pop does.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#36 » by CptCrunch » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 am

I looked it up.

No tampering rules against coaches.

I guess Wolves and Finch negotiated way ahead of tonight's firing.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 am

lol oh dear... didn't this guy have a cup of coffee there? Forever chasing that clout - not a good look. If you weren't, you wouldn't need to keep taking shots at those with it. A third of the league is filled with Spurs coaching/FO staff.

Hopefully the Wolves get things sorted. KAT and DLO have barely played together so hard to gauge their chemistry, but there's a lot to fix. I hope Wolves fans are happy with the change.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,436

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:54 am

Cubbies2120 wrote:

That's cute

Nurse has a long, long way to go to have a 'coaching tree' like Pop does.

:lol: It's so cringey. We were just picked clean of top two assistants two years ago and the next two have been interviewed elsewhere since. And so our Austin Spurs GM and coach were picked clean and we had to suddenly make new hires for these positions. If anything, I'm thrilled it's not another one of ours again.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#39 » by RaptorPride » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:58 am

HayKee wrote:
mademan wrote:Bjorken and Finch.. Nick Nurse starting a decent coaching tree.

For what it's worth Finch was an assistant to Nurse for all of 2 months. He was on Gentry's staff last year.

They go way back
Read on Twitter
Spoiler:

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach on mu" 

Post#40 » by Pharmcat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:58 am

IceIceBelly wrote:But most importantly, is he black? There's no way it can be perceived as a good hire if he's not.

He's not and got a mid-season multi year contract somehow. This never happens to blacks, who get the dreaded "interim coach" title instead to ride out the season before they get replaced in the summer by someone else .

Return to The General Board