SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach on mu" 

Post#61 » by BoogieTime » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 am

Pharmcat wrote:
IceIceBelly wrote:But most importantly, is he black? There's no way it can be perceived as a good hire if he's not.

He's not and got a mid-season multi year contract somehow. This never happens to blacks, who get the dreaded "interim coach" title instead to ride out the season before they get replaced in the summer by someone else .

I hope one or both of you are joking. He’s entitled to be white and be hired by the Timberwolves if they deem him fit
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach" 

Post#62 » by Lalouie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 am

GSP wrote:
Lalouie wrote:coaching the wolves is a woeful job.
i think they have surpassed the clips by now.

the sole source of validation for that org was garnett. without kg there is no wolves playoff record. there is no flip and no saunders lineage. ryan owes his job to kg.

They made the playoffs with Jimmy a few years ago and got a win

but yes the Wolves are the worst org in the Nba and prolly a bottom 3 org in American sports of the major leagues in the past 30 years

the only reason for the wolves existence is it's the last western city in the north before cow pastures. it's hockey/football country up there and the wolves has one of the worst attended franchises to boot.

johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Re: SHAM-WOW: "Timberwolves are hiring Raptors assistant coach Chris Finch as the new head coach" 

Post#63 » by johanliebert » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:49 am

Raptaz wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
mademan wrote:Bjorken and Finch.. Nick Nurse starting a decent coaching tree.

Nurse is under the Dwane Casey tree
Don't disrespect the GOAT

Nurse is defensive Philosophy is different and unique that is not a Casey trait .

Coach nurse believes in his players even when they aren't shooting the best fostered development.. this is something Casey didn't do much off with younger guys

Casey always stuck to the same starting 5 and same rotations regular seasons and playoffs....coach nurse experiments,tinkers, uses the regular season to build on stuff to use in the playoffs.

Unfortunately none of this is coach Casey's style . This is all coach nurse, been mentioned players love playing for him

Lol what Casey’s defensive schemes were instrumental in beating the heat in 2011. The raptors developed into a 50 win team with a young core..that takes believing in young players. Nothing you said is true I don’t even address the rest.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Post#64 » by Muha_i_samolet » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:07 am

johanliebert wrote:
Raptaz wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:Nurse is under the Dwane Casey tree
Don't disrespect the GOAT

Nurse is defensive Philosophy is different and unique that is not a Casey trait .

Coach nurse believes in his players even when they aren't shooting the best fostered development.. this is something Casey didn't do much off with younger guys

Casey always stuck to the same starting 5 and same rotations regular seasons and playoffs....coach nurse experiments,tinkers, uses the regular season to build on stuff to use in the playoffs.

Unfortunately none of this is coach Casey's style . This is all coach nurse, been mentioned players love playing for him

Lol what Casey’s defensive schemes were instrumental in beating the heat in 2011. The raptors developed into a 50 win team with a young core..that takes believing in young players. Nothing you said is true I don’t even address the rest.

Our zone defense was solely Casey's thing. That D stopped Bron and LA and to some extent Okla (even though it was more for KDs chokage). I think Raptors improved like 16 or 17 spots in drtg the first season Casey took over. He's a flawed coach, but he knows about D.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#65 » by Domejandro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:36 am

Good hire for Minnesota, but I have a relatively scathing opinion of the people scapegoating Coach Saunders. Just unnuanced takes, but people on the Minnesota board have already heard me explain that on numerous occasions.

The hire will absolutely improve the team, so that's cool, I just wish people would actually look at the unwinnable circumstances Minnesota has endured over the past two seasons.

Wish Ryan the best, he will get another opportunity in half a decade or so; beyond being a good guy, he has the capacity of being a solid coach, in less absurd circumstances.
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#66 » by Pantsman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 am

I’ve never seen a coach get hired off another team during the season
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#67 » by Metallikid » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 am

Pantsman wrote:I’ve never seen a coach get hired off another team during the season

Now apropos of nothing we have to pull a new Lead Assistant out of our ass.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,320

Post#68 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:55 am

Knicks getting other teams coaches fired now

NYK IS BACK
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Post#70 » by UcanUwill » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Phish Tank wrote:Saunders ain't the issue in Minny

not the solution either.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#71 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:11 pm

Raps get anything for this?
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#72 » by RiRuHoops » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Raps get anything for this?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#73 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Saunders had known for several weeks that he was in trouble as the losses mounted, sources told The Athletic. Players openly wondered about Saunders’ job security and it only seemed to be a question of whether he would make it to the end of the season. The answer came not long after a 103-99 loss to the Knicks in New York on Sunday night in a meeting with Wolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas.

In the wake of considerable fan criticism of Saunders, Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor had resisted calls to fire the coach while star Karl-Anthony Towns was out of the lineup with COVID-19. Taylor felt that Saunders deserved a chance to coach a team built almost entirely around Towns’ versatility before making such a big decision, sources said. But the Wolves were 1-7 since Towns returned Feb. 10, prompting Taylor to sign off on the move.

https://theathletic.com/2340381/2021/02/22/ryan-saunders-fired-chris-finch-hired-timberwolves
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#74 » by Klomp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:42 pm

Pantsman wrote:I’ve never seen a coach get hired off another team during the season

It is the first time an assistant from another staff has been hired as the permanent replacement in-season since the Memphis Grizzlies hired Bucks assistant Lionel Hollins in 2009.

https://theathletic.com/2340381/2021/02/22/ryan-saunders-fired-chris-finch-hired-timberwolves/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#75 » by AbeVigodaLive » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:41 pm

KodiakBear wrote:Minnesota was insane to fire Thibbs right after making the playoffs. .

To be fair... a lot happened after that playoff trip.

- Butler told Thibs he wanted out.
- Thibs ignored the request.
- Butler showed up and brought an ESPN crew with him... and made a mockery of everything... ripping the team's young core.
- Thibs sided with Butler AND ignored his trade request.
- Butler sat out whatever games he wanted as the team started 4 - 9.
- Butler was traded... the team got back to about .500 without him... Thibs was fired.

The damage was done.
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#76 » by jg77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:00 pm

That's kind of messed up how they did Saunders...they fire him and then immediately hire someone from another team. It's like they were in talks the whole time while Saunders was the coach. Just kinda messed up imo
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#77 » by Merc_Porto » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:13 pm

jg77 wrote:That's kind of messed up how they did Saunders...they fire him and then immediately hire someone from another team. It's like they were in talks the whole time while Saunders was the coach. Just kinda messed up imo

Pretty disgusting actually.
On top of that they fire Ryan after a loss against the guy he replaced on the first game of a road trip of 4 games.
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,204

Post#78 » by Quentin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:15 pm

Klomp wrote: Saunders had known for several weeks that he was in trouble as the losses mounted, sources told The Athletic. Players openly wondered about Saunders’ job security and it only seemed to be a question of whether he would make it to the end of the season. The answer came not long after a 103-99 loss to the Knicks in New York on Sunday night in a meeting with Wolves President of Basketball Operations Gersson Rosas.

In the wake of considerable fan criticism of Saunders, Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor had resisted calls to fire the coach while star Karl-Anthony Towns was out of the lineup with COVID-19. Taylor felt that Saunders deserved a chance to coach a team built almost entirely around Towns’ versatility before making such a big decision, sources said. But the Wolves were 1-7 since Towns returned Feb. 10, prompting Taylor to sign off on the move.

https://theathletic.com/2340381/2021/02/22/ryan-saunders-fired-chris-finch-hired-timberwolves

How do you take sole responsibility for your team when an owner like Glen Taylor has to sign off on your personnel moves. I know this happens but Glen Taylor is a dope. This should tell you everything you need to know about why the Wolves are a failure decade after decade.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#79 » by iamworthy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Now trade Beasley for a PF and start Ant at SG.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,471

Post#80 » by azcatz11 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Domejandro wrote:Good hire for Minnesota, but I have a relatively scathing opinion of the people scapegoating Coach Saunders. Just unnuanced takes, but people on the Minnesota board have already heard me explain that on numerous occasions.

The hire will absolutely improve the team, so that's cool, I just wish people would actually look at the unwinnable circumstances Minnesota has endured over the past two seasons.

Wish Ryan the best, he will get another opportunity in half a decade or so; beyond being a good guy, he has the capacity of being a solid coach, in less absurd circumstances.

What are the absurd circumstances? I know your owner is horrible - do you think KAT needs to be moved potentially and just start over?

Return to The General Board