Karl-Anthony Towns Addresses Future With Wolves For First Time This Season

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Karl-Anthony Towns Addresses Future With Wolves For First Time This Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:31 pm

After a tough loss to the New York Knicks, but before Ryan Saunders was fired, Karl-Anthony Towns addressed his mindset about remaining with the Minnesota Timberwolves over the long-term for the first time this season.

"If you want to build a legacy we got to win," Towns said. "And I want to build my legacy here so I want to win with the Wolves, and I'm going to do everything I possibly can to keep step-by-step, brick-by-brick, building something and a culture here that's going to stand here for a long time."

Towns can become a free agent in 2024 after signing a five-year, $158 million max extension with the Wolves in 2018. 

Since signing the extension coming off a playoff appearance, the Wolves have consistently struggled and are now on their third head coach. Minnesota also made a risky move for Towns' close friend, D'Angelo Russell, but the pair have only played five games together so far.

Via Chris Hine/Star Tribune

NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Re: Karl-Anthony Towns Addresses Future With Wolves For First Time This Season 

Post#2 » by NatiboyB » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm

If it was one player who I couldn't blame for taking the season off for Personal Reasons it's KAT. But I also understand if he rather be out there playing and competing to help keep his mind off of things. The season seems like a lost cause so I would not be mad if they let him if he wanted to get some time away from the team.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#3 » by Cassius » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:09 am

NatiboyB wrote:If it was one player who I couldn't blame for taking the season off for Personal Reasons it's KAT. But I also understand if he rather be out there playing and competing to help keep his mind off of things. The season seems like a lost cause so I would not be mad if they let him if he wanted to get some time away from the team.

I think God owes the Wolves and Towns just enough to make sure their pick falls outside the top 3.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Dass
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#4 » by Dass » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

He’s a loser wolves lost 17 out of 18 with him last year. No D
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#5 » by Killboard » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am

Pick will end in the 8-12 range.
Book it.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#6 » by rand » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:51 am

Killboard wrote:Pick will end in the 8-12 range.
Book it.

So you think they'll be an approx .500 team ROS?
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#7 » by BigHustle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 am

KG and Bill Russell get in his ear now.... Danny time for some magic, make it happen.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#8 » by shrink » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:10 am

rand wrote:
Book it.

I don’t know if .500 will be necessary, but they should win more games. They have KAT back now, and they will face teams that own their 2021 pick that are intentionally trying to lose.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#9 » by shrink » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:11 am

BigHustle wrote:KG and Bill Russell get in his ear now.... Danny time for some magic, make it happen.

It has to be frustrating to be Towns or Beal, that no matter what you say about staying, big market fans will ignore it.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
rand
Starter
And1: 3,115

Post#10 » by rand » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:24 am

shrink wrote:
rand wrote:
Book it.

I don’t know if .500 will be necessary, but they should win more games. They have KAT back now, and they will face teams that own their 2021 pick that are intentionally trying to lose.

An 8th worst record is typically around .333, 12th worst around .450. In a 72 game season, that equates to 24-32 wins. Wolves have 7 wins 31 games in, so in the remaining 41 games they'd need somewhere between 17 (.415 win pct) and 25 wins (.610) to finish with a record that is between 8th and 12th worst.

They're only 3-8 when Towns plays, so I doubt his return alone is going to be enough to get them to the range you're predicting. I'm expecting them to end up with a bottom-5 record, which should be what they want given the strength of this draft and their pick being lost if it's not top-3.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:26 am

MINN is just another poorly managed franchise from top to bottom. Take into account that KAT has a career of being injury prone and his “best friend” DLO is not a winner, and you have a franchise with a very bleak future.

I know nothing about coach Finch, but to expect him to come in at this point and end up playing .500 ball the rest of the year is not realistic.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
shrink
RealGM

Post#12 » by shrink » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:31 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Take into account that KAT has a career of being injury prone...

“Career of being a injury prone?”

Towns didn’t miss a game until his fourth season, and that was the first time he’d missed a game since junior high.

He had a wrist injury, missed some games from Covid, and some tanking last year,, but “injury prone” isn’t true.

82 game seasons are rare for any nba player, particularly big men. KAT has three of them already. I invite you to review his career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#13 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm

shrink wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:Take into account that KAT has a career of being injury prone...

“Career of being a injury prone?”

Towns didn’t miss a game until his fourth season, and that was the first time he’d missed a game since junior high.

He had a wrist injury, missed some games from Covid, and some tanking last year,, but “injury prone” isn’t true.

82 game seasons are rare for any nba player, particularly big men. KAT has three of them already. I invite you to review his career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html

I stand corrected. Thumbs up for the research.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion