DRob
96%

Total votes: 46

picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Re: Carry a team - Iverson or DRob? 

Post#21 » by picko » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 am

With Robinson I'm getting All-NBA quality offense and defense. That a lot to work with.

With Iverson I'm getting a volume scorer, frequently inefficient, who provides nothing defensively.

This isn't a difficult choice.
BIGJ1ER
Rookie
And1: 535

Post#22 » by BIGJ1ER » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:33 am

picko wrote:With Robinson I'm getting All-NBA quality offense and defense. That a lot to work with.

With Iverson I'm getting a volume scorer, frequently inefficient, who provides nothing defensively.

I think you may be one of the only philly fans I've seen talk negatively about AI :o

I agree wholeheartedly with the general sentiment in this thread, this isn't even close.
Big Fan of / and (
picko
Starter
And1: 3,420

Post#23 » by picko » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 am

BIGJ1ER wrote:
picko wrote:With Robinson I'm getting All-NBA quality offense and defense. That a lot to work with.

I think you may be one of the only philly fans I've seen talk negatively about AI :o

I agree wholeheartedly with the general sentiment in this thread, this isn't even close.

Probably because my support of the Sixers is more tied to my nationality and Ben Simmons. Generally I'm just a fan of good basketball.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,082
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Carry a team - Iverson or DRob? 

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:41 pm

No-more-rings wrote:Is this serious? Iverson didn’t carry anything, that 01 finals team won with their defense a defense which AI had nothing to do with. Drob was the best offensive and defensive player when he took them to the WCF.

This is D-Rob easily, but all of this is pretty false.

The 76ers were 5th on defense in the regular season, and 9th in the playoffs. The 4th best defense in the eastern conference playoffs.

This was not a carry job by a defensive juggernaut. They way overachieved in the playoffs for a team with pretty good defense and 0 shooting. Iverson hit 8 more 3’s than the rest of the team combined.

I think one of the big underrated factors of that playoffs was that while AI didn’t shoot a super high fg%, keeping the ball in his hands for 46 minutes per game only resulted in 2.9 turnovers. The other two ball handlers, Snow and Mckie were averaging 2 turnovers each even with Iverson having the ball most of the game. They lived and died with AI’s offense, because no one else could contribute in any meaningful fashion. Deke’s 4.9 offensive rebounds per was the only other outstanding thing going on.

Plus every measure shows Iverson as a very positive defender that year. His ball pressure was very valuable, and his steals were key on a team who struggled to create shots outside of him.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
frica
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#25 » by frica » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 pm

Iverson might be getting underrated but this isn't close to being close.
Drob by a huge margin.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#26 » by Soulcatcher33 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 am

:lol: Is this a joke? Obviously Big Dave. He carried those Spurs 90s teams. You only need to see 96 to 97 to see that. In 96 the Spurs had 59 wins and were 9th in offense and 3rd in defense. In 97 when he played just 8 hurt games they fell to 20 wins and 27th in offense and dead last in defense. On that note, Robinson clearly should have been the DPOY in 96. Payton basically got it because it was a good narrative, but he wasn't even close to being one of the most impactful defensive players in the league. Those were basically all big men except Scottie Pippen. If they did want to give it to a perimeter player that's who they should have given it to as Pippen was a vastly superior defensive player to Payton.

Return to Player Comparisons