Last Chance Picks At Predicting The Eastern Conference All Star Reserves

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who Gets Your Vote For All Star Reserve (Pick 5)

Trae Young
10%
Jayson Tatum
16%
Jaylen Brown
14%
Zach Lavine
13%
Domantas Sabonis
10%
Bam Adebayo
7%
Julius Randle
10%
Nikola Vucevic
4%
Ben Simmons
12%
Other (Name Them)
3%

Total votes: 489

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Re: Last Chance Picks At Predicting The Eastern Conference All Star Reserves 

Post#41 » by DCasey91 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:40 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Brown
Middleton
Simmons

These guys feel like they have to get in. Philly can't just have one and I'm taking Simmons over Harris

Tatum
Sabonis

Can't see leaving those two guys off either.

Harden

I don't think he's done enough in the East yet and he wasn't good in Houston, but he's a big name so he gets a spot. Which leaves one and some people will get mad.

I think I'll go Randle. I like to reward guys who don't just put up numbers but have real positive impact on their teams. So he gets the nod over Trae, Vuc and Bam.

Final 7: Brown, Middleton, Simmons, Tatum, Sabonis, Harden, Randle

Wait Harden hasn’t done enough yet? He just smoked the West this past week. Weren’t the Nets 7-6 when he arrived? lol He’s putting up absurd stats/impact.

He has more of an argument for starting if anything. I’d love to see his W/L record with him playing on the Nets. Dude might casually end up top 3 MVP (Good chance too he might have a massive backend to the season).
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#42 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 am

kenwood3333 wrote:Don't believe Middleton is a lock

G: Harden, Young, Brown
F: Tatum, Sabonis, Randle
WC: Lavine, Harris/Simmon (a Sixers)

Per possession, Middleton having the best statistical season of his career. He is a better rebounding/playmaking Klay Thompson. Dude is certainly a lock over any of your wild card guys, and obviously I'd take him over everyone on that list outside of Harden as well. The next closest lock to me is Tatum, which seems like most everyone agrees with.
Go Knicks!
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,266

Post#43 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:07 am

Malcolm Brodgon should at least be listen. I doubt he makes it, but he's had a hell of a season.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,238

Post#44 » by Ritzo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 am

I can see Randle getting snub this year.
He's having a better season than Vucevic and Bam imo and even Sabonis too.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#45 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:Malcolm Brodgon should at least be listen. I doubt he makes it, but he's had a hell of a season.

He's in the "others" category, just had to put the top 9 in the poll because of the poll restrictions.
Go Knicks!
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,053

Post#46 » by MrBigShot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:24 am

Lavine should be a lock. Bulls would fight for last place without him
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Post#47 » by perempe20 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:18 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
perempe20 wrote:Indiana, Toronto, Boston, New York and Charlotte should give a player because of their record.

I never really understand that view, in and of itself. Why?

I don't like players who watch playoffs on TV. Towns can be also an all-star, If we go for names or previous selections, while the Spurs or Indy won't give any players? I would select from as many teams as possible.

Just wanted to share it.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#48 » by BoogieTime » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:20 am

MrBigShot wrote:Lavine should be a lock. Bulls would fight for last place without him

For most the season the team was better without him on the floor, not sure it’s changed
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,228

Post#49 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 am

perempe20 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
perempe20 wrote:Indiana, Toronto, Boston, New York and Charlotte should give a player because of their record.

I don't like players who watch playoffs on TV. Towns can be also an all-star, If we go for names or previous selections, while the Spurs or Indy won't give any players? I would select from as many teams as possible.

Just wanted to share it.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was having a go, just don't quite get it.

To me, the All-Stars are the best individual players. In a team sport, whilst they will impact on their teams, they aren't the sole determinants of record.

Just as an example (there are others...)
Tatum and Brown have both been really good, but the rest of the team has stunk.
If they'd played exactly the same, but their team mates played a little better...that directly impacts their chance of being an all star? Nup, don't get it.

(I do get that it indirectly impacts, due to perception and exposure...that's not what I'm talking about here)
perempe20
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by perempe20 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:22 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:
perempe20 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Just wanted to share it.

To me, the All-Stars are the best individual players. In a team sport, whilst they will impact on their teams, they aren't the sole determinants of record.

If they'd played exactly the same, but their team mates played a little better...that directly impacts their chance of being an all star? Nup, don't get it.

(I do get that it indirectly impacts, due to perception and exposure...that's not what I'm talking about here)

Boston might give 2 all-stars while the Raptors won't give any despite they're ahead?
No all-stars from San Antonio despite they're around .600?

I think it's a problem.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#51 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:00 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Lavine should be a lock. Bulls would fight for last place without him

so would the Knicks without Randle...
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#52 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:08 pm

perempe20 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Just wanted to share it.

I think it's fair to want that, but the standings are all so close right now that it's impossible to predict who's gonna be "watching the playoffs on TV" right now. Only 2 games separate the 13th and 8th seed in the East. 3 games separate the 13 and the 6th seed. Up until this freefall the Cavs are currently in, they were a playoff team, if that had happened two weeks later, would Sexton or Drummond been on your radar? The West is equally as tight...

I think we're seeing a ton of parity right now, and team record during a mid-season award has way less significance. As a tie breaker, sure, but if one player has clearly been better than another, then record shouldn't matter.
Go Knicks!
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,228

Post#53 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 pm

perempe20 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:
perempe20 wrote:I don't like players who watch playoffs on TV. Towns can be also an all-star, If we go for names or previous selections, while the Spurs or Indy won't give any players? I would select from as many teams as possible.

Just wanted to share it.

Boston might give 2 all-stars while the Raptors won't give any despite they're ahead?
No all-stars from San Antonio despite they're around .600?

I think it's a problem.

Why?

Record is a function of team. All-star selection is a function of individual play.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#54 » by The Explorer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:26 pm

BoogieTime wrote:

For most the season the team was better without him on the floor, not sure it’s changed

He's playing big minutes with 20-21 year olds who haven't fully figured out the game yet. That will negatively impact his +/-. Look at his play, especially in February. He's probably been a top 5 player overall this month.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,124

Post#55 » by SA37 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:27 pm

My reserves for the East

C N Vucevic
F J Randle
F T Harris
F J Tatum
G Z Lavine
G J Brown
G J Harden
perempe20
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by perempe20 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
perempe20 wrote:
LewisnotMiller wrote:

Just wanted to share it.

I think it's fair to want that, but the standings are all so close right now that it's impossible to predict who's gonna be "watching the playoffs on TV" right now. Only 2 games separate the 13th and 8th seed in the East. 3 games separate the 13 and the 6th seed. Up until this freefall the Cavs are currently in, they were a playoff team, if that had happened two weeks later, would Sexton or Drummond been on your radar? The West is equally as tight...

I think we're seeing a ton of parity right now, and team record during a mid-season award has way less significance. As a tie breaker, sure, but if one player has clearly been better than another, then record shouldn't matter.

The NBA should select from as many teams as possible. Last year all the playoff teams in the west gave at least one player, while in the east the Nets and the Magic didn't give any.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#57 » by JN61 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 pm

Johnny Tomala wrote:G: Brown
G: Harden
F: Tatum
F: Adebayo
F: Middleton
WC: Young
WC: Sabonis

Last WC only question for me, I think coaches will vote in Sabonis. The first 5 are locks, Young and Sabonis spots only for debate IMO.

This minus anyone on Miami.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Educator
Junior
And1: 406

Post#58 » by Educator » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:30 pm

It should be

Harden
Simmons
Tatum
Randle
Sabonis
LaVine
Brown

Middleton, VanVleet, Young on the outside looking in. It is tough to justify two Celtics considering how mediocre they have been, but Brown is having a great year and plays both ends of the floor and the East frontcourt selection is weak, so Tatum has to be there.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#59 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:12 pm

The Explorer wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

He's playing big minutes with 20-21 year olds who haven't fully figured out the game yet. That will negatively impact his +/-. Look at his play, especially in February. He's probably been a top 5 player overall this month.

That wouldn't explain his negative +/- though. If anything, he would have a positive +/- because the roster is full of players who haven't fully figured out the game yet.
Go Knicks!
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#60 » by Zeno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Harden
Middleton
Tatum
Brown
Lavine
Simmons
Vucevic

These are who I think coaches will choose.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to The General Board