Mavs Reportedly 'Quietly Gauged' Trade Market For Kristaps Porzingis

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Mavs Reportedly 'Quietly Gauged' Trade Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:11 am

The Dallas Mavericks "quietly gauged" the trade market for Kristaps Porzingis, sources told Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

Fischer added that the team is beginning to re-evaluate whether Porzingis can support Luka Doncic as a second option on a contender.

The Mavs are currently looking to add a center to supplement Porzingis, with Andre Drummond mentioned as a candidate.

The team is also expected to make a "significant offer" for John Collins should he make it to restricted free agency.

Porzingis missed the Mavs' Monday night game due to back soreness

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Re: Mavs Reportedly 'Quietly Gauged' Trade Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#2 » by Theo Ratliff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:32 am

Porzingis is actually playing good basketball this year when healthy. I think the biggest problem is the rest of the supporting cast. Is a team with Tim Hardaway Jr. as their third option really going to be a contender in todays NBA? I think they should just play out the season and look forward to free agency. They have a lot of money coming off of the books and can free up even more if they package Dwight Powell with a first round pick. Though I don't know who they will target in free agency. Luka hasn't proven that he can sit back and let someone else dominate the ball. He would have to make some sacrifices if they signed someone like Oladipo or DeRozan.
Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Post#3 » by Muha_i_samolet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 am

His value is way too negative on that ridiculous contract. You gotta pay him almost 1/3 of your cap to not play for 4 years. We'd need to add picks (that we don't have) and a young guy like Green to dump his contract.
DeedlegreenJr
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#4 » by DeedlegreenJr » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:40 am

Theo Ratliff wrote:Porzingis is actually playing good basketball this year when healthy. I think the biggest problem is the rest of the supporting cast. Is a team with Tim Hardaway Jr. as their third option really going to be a contender in todays NBA? I think they should just play out the season and look forward to free agency. They have a lot of money coming off of the books and can free up even more if they package Dwight Powell with a first round pick. Though I don't know who they will target in free agency. Luka hasn't proven that he can sit back and let someone else dominate the ball. He would have to make some sacrifices if they signed someone like Oladipo or DeRozan.

He will never be healthy. 7 footers with his lower body issues never recover. It was bad to max him out before seeing if he could remain healthy. Had the Knicks given him a max they would be getting killed for it. Maybe it was best for his decline to happen out there.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Despite all the negativity around Drummond, I think he'd be a HUGE help to the Mavs.

As for the interest in Collins, meh. I don't see much of a difference between him and Porkchop.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#6 » by DoctorDunc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm

He’s a gimpy tool with bad baggage brother. Mavs are like “how do we get rid of this guy?”
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:50 pm

I think there’s a lot of proof that Doncic and Porzingis are a good pairing on both ends. I’m guessing the Mavs are mainly concerned about his health, not his fit.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 pm

TheCage4 wrote:Despite all the negativity around Drummond, I think he'd be a HUGE help to the Mavs.

As for the interest in Collins, meh. I don't see much of a difference between him and Porkchop.

Drummond is not a particularly good basketball player and would be very poor fit in the Mavs offence and a steep downgrade from KP. People are still blinded by high rebound totals but that’s all he basically brings to the table. There’s a very good reason the Pistons could only get a 2nd round pick for him last year. Collins isn’t perfect, but he’s a much better player than Drummond.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:58 pm

What about Prozingis/Powell to Cleveland for Drummond/Nance/Windler

Mavs get off the contracts of KP and Powell and go into the off-season with much more flexibility. 60ish million in capspace, to start rebuilding a team around Luka while he's still the most underpaid player in the league.

Cavs unload Drummond for something and got with Okoro/KP/Allen as one of the best defensive pairings in the league to support their smaller Sexland backcourt.
Go Knicks!
Muha_i_samolet
Senior
And1: 591

Post#10 » by Muha_i_samolet » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Scalabrine wrote:What about Prozingis/Powell to Cleveland for Drummond/Nance/Windler

Mavs get off the contracts of KP and Powell and go into the off-season with much more flexibility. 60ish million in capspace, to start rebuilding a team around Luka while he's still the most underpaid player in the league.

Cavs unload Drummond for something and got with Okoro/KP/Allen as one of the best defensive pairings in the league to support their smaller Sexland backcourt.

Love it, not happening. Nance alone is worth more than that.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Muha_i_samolet wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:What about Prozingis/Powell to Cleveland for Drummond/Nance/Windler

Wow. Has KP's value really dropped that much?!
Go Knicks!
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#12 » by Rek » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Muha_i_samolet wrote:

Wow. Has KP's value really dropped that much?!

Skill level is irrelevant when the guy can never remain healthy to actually play. The only thing that might stop Cuban from unloading KP is the lack of a willing trade partner.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,023

Post#13 » by mg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:38 pm

Cavs cannot do it financially even if they wanted. How would they pay Love, Allen, KP, Powell and still afford competitive players at the wing or backcourt? None of those guys are franchise players but they would be paying over $90 mil for the four of them.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#14 » by Scalabrine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm

mg wrote:

Cavs cannot do it financially even if they wanted. How would they pay Love, Allen, KP, Powell and still afford competitive players at the wing or backcourt? None of those guys are franchise players but they would be paying over $90 mil for the four of them.

Because Sexland/Okoro are all on rookie contracts for the remainder of Love and Powells deals.
Go Knicks!
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#15 » by Barcs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Apparently KP's defense fell off cliff. He used to be a decent rim protector, from what I remember. In hindsight, the KP trade looks like a fleecing of the Mavs, and could even get us a top 10 lotto pick this year.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#16 » by D21 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm

A lot of people will think he's not the problem, because he's started to play better on offense and his Off Rating shows it : 115pts per 100poss.
But the main problem is his DefRating : 119pts, one of the worst of DAL roster if I'm not wrong

EDIT : after checking, I'm wrong, his DefRating is the worst of the roster, by far

Return to Wiretap Discussion