Wood & Dipo to Warriors

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,402

Wood & Dipo to Warriors 

Post#1 » by Wolveswin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Probably been discussed before...

Now that Rockets seem to be full tank for that protected 4th overall 1st, makes more sense.

Rockets:
Dipo + Wood + Small Filler (via TPE or House via DPE) + 2021 Blazers 1st Owed

FOR

Wiseman + Oubre + Looney + 2021 Wolves 1st
Warriors:

Rockets go into the tank further.

Warriors go all-in on winning now.
Wood | Green
Green | Paschall
Wiggins
Dipo | Bazemore | Lee | Poole
Curry | Wanamaker
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Re: Wood & Dipo to Warriors 

Post#2 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 pm

That's an overpay, one of the assets, not both, and due to the Minny pick being unprotected and top 3 right now, makes that a very premium asset.

Dipo + Wood for Wiseman + Oubre

or

Dipo + Wood for Wiggins + Minny 1st
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Wolveswin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:That's an overpay.

or

That’s why the discussion.

I see Wiggins + Wolves 1st is close to neutral value — not sure how that gets Dipo + Wood.

Wiseman + Oubre for Wood...maybe legs to a trade there. But not Dipo too.

Note: funny how Wolves 1st is premium when needed than other threads not premium enough because it is top 3 protected (40% chance doesn’t convey) and 2022 although unprotected Wolves might be improved with new coach, adding high pick, etc. I guess to each their own how they want to angle their argument.

jbk1234: That Wolves pick being top 3 protected really makes trading for it before the lottery problematic. There's a greater than 40% chance you'd be trading for a 2022 pick. Edwards will have an entire rookie season under his belt, KAT is unlikely to miss as many games next year, and they could be adding a really good player from this draft to the roster. If they attach a future first to DLo and manage to get back even a replacement level PF, they could have a considerably better record next season.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#4 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm

Fwiw we did a wiseman vs wood poll earlier and wiseman was deemed more valuable by majority of fans, though some gsw fans also may so a straight swap of the 2.

Having said that, dipo plus portland 1st doesnt get you wolves 1st so i have OP as too light for warriors.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#5 » by Commodor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm

I like it, but the cap would be insane and the wing defense would plummet for GSW.

Maybe if they could figure a way to sneak Tucker into it, GSW would not be as hesitant on the defensive front. Doesn't help the cap situation though.

The next big issue would be whether Dipo be willing to resign if he likely would be relegated to a 6th man role. Klay is not a SF so this creates roster issues next year. If he doesn't stay then Wiseman and the MIN first is an overpay.

Doubt it happens due to the smaller details but not a bad proposal.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#6 » by Commodor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:40 pm

Commodor wrote:I like it, but the cap would be insane and the wing defense would plummet for GSW.

Maybe if they could figure a way to sneak Tucker into it, GSW would not be as hesitant on the defensive front. Doesn't help the cap situation though.

The next big issue would be whether Dipo be willing to resign if he likely would be relegated to a 6th man role. Klay is not a SF so this creates roster issues next year. If he doesn't stay then Wiseman and the MIN first is an overpay.

Misread some responses - didn't see we get to keep Wiggins.

Makes the wing defense bit irrelevant - but the cap situation is likely too much for our FO. Would need guarantees Dipo resigns, but this doesnt seem like a situation where he would prefer to resign.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#7 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:That's an overpay, one of the assets, not both, and due to the Minny pick being unprotected and top 3 right now, makes that a very premium asset.

or

Love that 1st deal for the Warriors. Wood would be scary in that Warriors offense. Getting anyone to alleviate pressure from Curry would help too.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Lenneth
Rookie
And1: 1,766

Post#8 » by Lenneth » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 am

I am not really interested in Dipo. He just played 75 games in the last 2+ seasons, and his efficiency makes Wiggins looking like Curry. That will leave Wood. While he looks really good, I am not trading him for Wiseman or Wolves pick. And, I don't think Houston will trade him for anything less.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:58 am

Commodor wrote:
Commodor wrote:I like it, but the cap would be insane and the wing defense would plummet for GSW.

Misread some responses - didn't see we get to keep Wiggins.

Makes the wing defense bit irrelevant - but the cap situation is likely too much for our FO. Would need guarantees Dipo resigns, but this doesnt seem like a situation where he would prefer to resign.

I mean, Oladipo was an All-Defense player pre-injury, and in Indy before the trade, he was pretty close to his old self defensively. We really pushed him to focus on defense, though, but there should absolutely be belief that if you have a coach and team that gets his buy-in and focus, that he would be a great defender, still.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by red96 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:14 am

Ha. To think, if the Rockets actually traded with the 6ers instead, Simmons from Rockets to Warriors for Wolves pick would've likely worked. And the Rockets keep Wood.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#11 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 am

Wolveswin wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:That's an overpay.

or

That’s why the discussion.

I see Wiggins + Wolves 1st is close to neutral value — not sure how that gets Dipo + Wood.

Wiseman + Oubre for Wood...maybe legs to a trade there. But not Dipo too.

Note: funny how Wolves 1st is premium when needed than other threads not premium enough because it is top 3 protected (40% chance doesn’t convey) and 2022 although unprotected Wolves might be improved with new coach, adding high pick, etc. I guess to each their own how they want to angle their argument.

jbk1234: That Wolves pick being top 3 protected really makes trading for it before the lottery problematic. There's a greater than 40% chance you'd be trading for a 2022 pick. Edwards will have an entire rookie season under his belt, KAT is unlikely to miss as many games next year, and they could be adding a really good player from this draft to the roster. If they attach a future first to DLo and manage to get back even a replacement level PF, they could have a considerably better record next season.

No way. Wiggins contract is terrible but the Minny pick is SO valuable (more valuable than two random FRPs and I think Gs could trade Wiggins for less than that, probably for a bad contract and a FRP).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#12 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:44 am

red96 wrote:Ha. To think, if the Rockets actually traded with the 6ers instead, Simmons from Rockets to Warriors for Wolves pick would've likely worked. And the Rockets keep Wood.

Simmons and Draymond is not a winning combo, wouldnt want to go there.

For Dipo to be involved for value, Wiggins has to go out.. otherwise he's a rental, and that has no value to us this season

But I have to say, I like the premise a little bit. Wood being cost controlled is crucial. But if the Rockets are willing to deal Wood (I didnt think they would be), I'd be very interested
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#13 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:17 am

FNQ wrote:
red96 wrote:Ha. To think, if the Rockets actually traded with the 6ers instead, Simmons from Rockets to Warriors for Wolves pick would've likely worked. And the Rockets keep Wood.

For Dipo to be involved for value, Wiggins has to go out.. otherwise he's a rental, and that has no value to us this season

But I have to say, I like the premise a little bit. Wood being cost controlled is crucial. But if the Rockets are willing to deal Wood (I didnt think they would be), I'd be very interested

Is that because you think keeping Dipo, Curry, Klay, Wiggins, and Draymond would be prohibitively expensive? You might be right; just trying to understand your position.

I think this proposal is again a pretty valid attempt at "win now", and not just trying to give us known quantity spare parts for valuable assets on the premise that it makes us better today. If you find a way to include Tucker coming to the Warriors, things probably get even more expensive, but I'd really have trouble saying no.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#14 » by giberish » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:38 am

I'll agree with the others posting the Olidipo to GS without sending Wiggins out is a rental, and with GS not being a contender this year it doesn't make sense for GS to push for him.

IMO a more plausible deal is something like:
GS trades Wiseman + Oubre for Wood + House
Houston trades Wood + House + Tucker for Wiseman + Oubre
Team 3 (Boston? BK if their DPE is big enough?) trades 2nd for Tucker

GS gets Wood as a better win now C option for the next year or two at the long-term cost of Wiseman. House fills in as a useful, cheap backup SF/PF and moving Tucker to a team with an exemption saves a bunch of luxury tax money. Houston gets a higher-upside long-term C option without adding money this year (and saving some next season).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#15 » by FNQ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Is that because you think keeping Dipo, Curry, Klay, Wiggins, and Draymond would be prohibitively expensive? You might be right; just trying to understand your position.

I think this proposal is again a pretty valid attempt at "win now", and not just trying to give us known quantity spare parts for valuable assets on the premise that it makes us better today. If you find a way to include Tucker coming to the Warriors, things probably get even more expensive, but I'd really have trouble saying no.

Correct - Dipo is looking for a near max, if not a max, which puts him in the 40m range, as well as having Curry and Klay in that range, and Dray right below it. If we kept Dipo and Wood, as well as the other 4, we'd be looking at 200m for 6 players. And while I'm all for kicking Lacob in the wallet that he keeps behind his balls (I'd hope), I think there is a limit to his spending, and this probably falls inside of it.

I'd be much more interested in a smaller deal where we acquire Wood for something involving our assets. I havent really given it much though value wise, but something along those lines seems very interesting to me
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#16 » by eminence » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:05 am

Wood/House for Wiseman/Oubre is fair enough value imo (though I don't think I'd do it), but I don't think the Dipo addition is worth the MIN 1st in value.
I bought a boat.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#17 » by KuruptedCav » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Consider:

Curry = $45,780,966
Thompson = $37,980,720
Wiggins = $31,579,390
Green = $24,026,712
------------------------------
$139,367,788

With Dipo, you're talking $170-$180 million on the starting 5 and at least another $20 million for a bench; you push that tax bill to nearly $200 million on $200 million in salaries; and the variant with Christian Wood involved; and you fly past $400 million and towards $450million. Those taxes get steep as the $.50/$1 numbers increase every $5 million in salary.

That said, Joe Lacob could effectively bail out 1/4 of the leagues Covid losses by making the move, lol.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Wolveswin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:56 pm

^

Dipo + Wood + House or Tucker + 2021 Blazers 1st

FOR

Wiggins + Wiseman + Poole + 2021 Wolves 1st

Wood
Green
Oubre
Dipo
Curry
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#19 » by Topofthekey » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:43 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:That's an overpay, one of the assets, not both, and due to the Minny pick being unprotected and top 3 right now, makes that a very premium asset.

or

That wolves pick is actually top 3 protected
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,297

Post#20 » by sip » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:51 pm

And they would have had a fraction of the future 1st rd picks and swaps. The sixers weren't offering the 1sts that the nets were offering.

Return to Trades and Transactions