ImageImageImage

Pandemic 2

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Pandemic 2 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:43 pm

I like this resource for Covid tracking check it out https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
and a different one here: https://covidtracking.com/data#state-al
January update:
FYI California is so swamped at the hospitals due to the overload and esp the new strain spread starting that they are supposedly
having to tell EMT's to not bring anyone to the ER or even the Hospital provided the vic has less then 50% chance of survival. WTF
so basically if you are in need of being life flighted after an accident or suffer multiple shots your'e not getting medical treatment
beyond what an EMT can do for you to make you comfortable on your last ride.
This is really disturbing too me that it is this out of control. Glad it's not that bad here yet but it's coming regardless.
Might as well just start digging a bunker at this point as it feels like a bad movie that never ends
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 2, 2021 7:48 pm

Not great news for anyone who has long hauler symptoms :https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-a-cruel-chronic-condition-for-some-long-haulers-says-nih-director-francis-collins/ar-BB1ea867?ocid=uxbndlbing
I think this is just the beginning of bad news regarding the likely odds of it becoming labelled
a chronic illness for people with reoccurring fatigue and other symptoms weeks or months after the lab results say they are covid free . This has the makings of becoming a life long illness for a hell of a lot of people and as a result far more devastating to society than most had hoped...
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#23 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:Not great news for anyone who has long hauler symptoms :https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-a-cruel-chronic-condition-for-some-long-haulers-says-nih-director-francis-collins/ar-BB1ea867?ocid=uxbndlbing
I think this is just the beginning of bad news regarding the likely odds of it becoming labelled
a chronic illness for people with reoccurring fatigue and other symptoms weeks or months after the lab results say they are covid free . This has the makings of becoming a life long illness for a hell of a lot of people and as a result far more devastating to society than most had hoped...

Would be nice to have a break down of who the "long-haulers" are, presumably there's some bad news there that may be affecting even NBA level athletes.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 3, 2021 1:42 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Not great news for anyone who has long hauler symptoms :https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-a-cruel-chronic-condition-for-some-long-haulers-says-nih-director-francis-collins/ar-BB1ea867?ocid=uxbndlbing

Would be nice to have a break down of who the "long-haulers" are, presumably there's some bad news there that may be affecting even NBA level athletes.

Thats why I posted it basically think anyone from 9 to 90 can be one of the unlucky ones and there is more known as a year has passed . I know some people who had it that seem to fall into that category as they have mentioned some interesting facts such as one stating he had decreased stamina on the job and cannot reach an aerobic level durring workouts without vertigo. Some other stories include sudden fatigue that comes and goes in the middle of the day.
Sounds like the body keeps draining resources trying to fight the illness even after that which it is trying to fight off no longer shows up on any covid tests. Very distrubing stuff
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#25 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Thats why I posted it basically think anyone from 9 to 90 can be one of the unlucky ones and there is more known as a year has passed . I know some people who had it that seem to fall into that category as they have mentioned some interesting facts such as one stating he had decreased stamina on the job and cannot reach an aerobic level durring workouts without vertigo. Some other stories include sudden fatigue that comes and goes in the middle of the day.
Sounds like the body keeps draining resources trying to fight the illness even after that which it is trying to fight off no longer shows up on any covid tests. Very distrubing stuff

Covid can injure the lungs and heart and months ago they were worried that 100% recovery might not happen.

Jason Tatum reportedly has been dealing with shortness of breath since recovering from Covid, not a big change in his stats, but there's been some dropoff.

Here's what he recently said about it, and he at least makes it sounds like it's getting better, but he said when he had it he had no symptoms ...

"Tatum: When I first found out, probably like most people, I was nervous. I didn't know what to expect. Thankfully for most of my quarantine, I didn't have any symptoms, I was fine. But coming back and playing I did notice that I was having some shortness of breath, that I was getting fatigued a lot quicker than normal. I talked to a bunch of different athletes from different sports that tested positive and they said that they dealt with the same thing. It's gotten better, but I think it just takes some time because this is just something new. "
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 3, 2021 3:51 pm

Yeah regarding Tatum as an example im guessing there are a lot of players who keep it undisclosed if they had it and if they are having any issues . Most of them sans cornerstone types wouldn't risk the hit they would take on their next contract imo if these lh symptoms become a thing no one csn ignore anymore.
That and most at that age would be in denial trying to fight through silently. Its bad times for all of us. I think once enough have it though and cant get past it we will hear about how bad it really is
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#27 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Mar 3, 2021 9:30 pm

Getting my second shot(Moderna) next Friday and hoping that it's as effective as they say it is. Somehow avoided getting Covid in spite of working in high exposure conditions.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#28 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 4, 2021 12:11 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Getting my second shot(Moderna) next Friday and hoping that it's as effective as they say it is. Somehow avoided getting Covid in spite of working in high exposure conditions.

Congrats.

Sounds like they're back tracking on how effective the two current current vaccines are to make the J&J vaccine sound less crappy. They're claiming the J&J vaccine was used in a much more active Covid environment during it's trial resulting in lower effectivity.

The good news is they claim the vaccines still help protect you even if you do catch it, but inspite of what Texas thinks; we're sadly a long ways from the point we should be telling people they don't need to wear masks in public. The new variants sure don't help matters.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#29 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Mar 4, 2021 1:15 am

I feel like DeWine is about to just say f it, like Florida and Texas. I don't live in Ohio, but it's 5 minutes away from me and my wife teaches in Akron. All along I've seen DeWine get blasted as some RINO type and I just wanna be like "has anyone actually looked at his record on any issue :) " but I'm hoping he'll hold a month or two. PA(non Philly) has pretty low standards for who can get vaccinated right now. If you live on a border area I'd try to schedule in PA and just claim high BMI(30+) or smoking as your reason. should be good to go.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:26 pm

With members of the ATL org getting vaccinations this week while millions of older more vulnerable people still waiting for shots its obvious the nba changed stance about not jumping the line.
Im not surprised given how many have had complicated recovery like bamba tatem etc along with the countless others sitting out for different questionable reasons around the league listed as personal which is uncommon to say the least im sure thats covid in their families or they have long hauler symptoms and cant hold up and the problem is growing etc etc.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#31 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:37 pm

I don't think that they're jumping the line. Vaccine eligibility differs from state to state. Our team(and anyone on this board that lives in ohio) will be eligible a week from monday.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:38 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I don't think that they're jumping the line. Vaccine eligibility differs from state to state. Our team(and anyone on this board that lives in ohio) will be eligible a week from monday.

thats fair I guess if you buy being eligible and actually getting it are on the same timeline. I think they are jumping the line but thats just my opinion no way I can go back it up with proof of any kind. I do know there are a lot of older people eligible already that still have not gotten their vaccines in Ohio many because they are home bound and their families still cannot visit them because of it. It is crazy how difficult it is to plan the logistics of transport of these vaccines due to the ltd time it is effective temperate requirements etc. So it's a bit frustrating when 20 year olds are getting theirs at hotels
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#33 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:15 pm

No way of knowing but i am wanting to think the leagues rules on containment have failed and most not some of these players have had covid.
There is a lot of evidence of slowed performance increases in injuries etc.
They dont have to tell anyone who had it so whats stopping players or personel who have it from making other excuses for time missed to avoid harming their brand or whatever the f else drives them.
Just as an example Sexton has been fighting some groin issues supposedly but his % were way down for awhile before that and he was a step slow. Just saying its possible the impact is so subtle noone says it but its there.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:No way of knowing but i am wanting to think the leagues rules on containment have failed and most not some of these players have had covid.
They dont have to tell anyone who had it so whats stopping players or personel who have it from making other excuses for time missed to avoid harming their brand or whatever the f else drives them.
Just as an example Sexton has been fighting some groin issues supposedly but his % were way down for awhile before that and he was a step slow. Just saying its possible the impact is so subtle noone says it but its there.

The impact of playing a condensed season with little recovery time and practices/shoot-arounds often eliminated is also subtle, but still there.

If this was the case, though, even an asymptomatic player would be tested, found to be positive, and then kept apart from the team for 10-days or whatever period they're currently using. So, there'd be some evidence ...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#35 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:No way of knowing but i am wanting to think the leagues rules on containment have failed and most not some of these players have had covid.

The impact of playing a condensed season with little recovery time and practices/shoot-arounds often eliminated is also subtle, but still there.

If this was the case, though, even an asymptomatic player would be tested, found to be positive, and then kept apart from the team for 10-days or whatever period they're currently using. So, there'd be some evidence ...

Is it ten days though? I think it's safe to say an NBA player suffering no symptoms having tested + and then cleared the protocol with a few days testing negative several times in a row is let back in the facility. The point is the lack of obvious symptoms when tested + does not by any means disqualify someone who had it from suffering minor health problems over time as a delayed residual effect even if they are not spreading it among each other
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Is it ten days though? I think it's safe to say an NBA player suffering no symptoms having tested + and then cleared the protocol with a few days testing negative several times in a row is let back in the facility. The point is the lack of obvious symptoms when tested + does not by any means disqualify someone who had it from suffering minor health problems over time as a delayed residual effect even if they are not spreading it among each other

I don't disagree, but there are plenty of other reasons for Collin having a little dip in performance, and if you really want to go down the rabbit hole that he's recovering from Covid you should first look to see if he was away from the team for whatever the required duration is.

The WHO's current recommendation is 10 days of isolation after an initial positive test by someone who is asymptomatic, and the reasoning behind why that's not anchored to the last negative test seems to be based on a combination of logistics and case study. The CDC also agrees with the 10 day recommendation.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:15 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I don't disagree, but there are plenty of other reasons for Collin having a little dip in performance, and if you really want to go down the rabbit hole that he's recovering from Covid you should first look to see if he was away from the team for whatever the required duration is.

The WHO's current recommendation is 10 days of isolation after an initial positive test by someone who is asymptomatic, and the reasoning behind why that's not anchored to the last negative test seems to be based on a combination of logistics and case study. The CDC also agrees with the 10 day recommendation.

Ten days is good and probably not enough imo but there is little chance the NBA is following that for players with no symptoms
Harper4Ferry?
Starter

Post#38 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:35 pm

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:51 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Being reported that a "fair" amount of players received the vaccine in late March.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2021/04/cleveland-cavaliers-players-coaches-and-staff-received-covid-19-vaccine-in-late-march-sources-say.html

Hopefully that will help things seem a little more normal.

But JBB is only 42 ... why exactly was he getting his vaccine earlier?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers