ImageImage

Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

valleyman33
Junior
And1: 37

Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways 

Post#1 » by valleyman33 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 am

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski: Spurs are working on trade scenarios with LaMarcus Aldridge and have been engaged on several fronts, sources tell ESPN.

Article Says they are looking for trade partners.
Any Interest by Portland?
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
Henry Ford
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Re: Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:57 am

No thanks.

Don’t like the way he oozed out of here.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:02 am

valleyman33 wrote:Source: Adrian Wojnarowski: Spurs are working on trade scenarios with LaMarcus Aldridge and have been engaged on several fronts, sources tell ESPN.

Article Says they are looking for trade partners.
Any Interest by Portland?

The only thing I can see working financially is Hood+Jones+Collins for Aldridge and honestly I'm not thrilled about that 3 for 1 trade and there also isn't much there for the Spurs (they were supposed to be high on Collins before all his injury stuff, but his foot issue is starting to look like it may be chronic and career limiting).

Aldridge is getting up there, clearly on a decline (although his game wont fall off the cliff like some other big men being shopped around the league) and he really burned us last time so I would be skeptical that Portland does the type of 3 for 1 deal that would be required to get a trade done.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,080

Post#4 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:06 am

I wouldn't say no to bringing Aldridge back, but I just dont see a way of doing that via trade.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#5 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 am

There is noway by trade. The only player worth considering trading for him is Hood. That's only $10M and we would need to trade $22M.

Spurs would have to buy him out and waive him. LMA's game has really drifted further outside and not to the 3pt line.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#6 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 am

I would whatever it took to get Aldridge. Hood, Collins and something else for LA?
d-train
RealGM

Post#7 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:26 am

I guarantee Spurs have been trying to dump him awhile, but no takers. It's now or never. LMA has a trade kicker, basically a no trade clause. So, Spurs can't trade him to Siberia. A trade requires a good team with a big awful contract. Otherwise, his only way out is buyout. Spurs won't do that unless he leaves a good amount of money on the table.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#8 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:28 am

All for bringing Aldridge back, but as others have stated, the Blazers just don't have the matching salary to facilitate a trade. Last season, something structured around Whiteside would have made sense. But now, maybe a Jones/Collins/Hood package works if Collins is a lost cause..? But then San Antonio has no incentive to make that trade. Love Aldridge as a target in free agency, though.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#9 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:33 am

The other problem with Aldridge is that his game has aged in such a way that he's more of a 5 than a 4, and a healthy Blazers team currently has Nurkić and Kanter taking up all of the minutes at the 5, with Covington and Giles capable of picking up spot minutes. Is a 35+ year old Aldridge really better than Nurkić? Would he be okay playing a Kanter bench role? If not, where do you play him?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:39 am

Jones + hood id actually consider but nothing more than that.
d-train
RealGM

Post#11 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:42 am

I wouldn't trade Jones. I would only trade Collins if doctors say his career is over.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#12 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:00 am

Collins, DJJ and Hood for LA.

Its not likely Collins is coming back unless he signs a make good offer from Portland. DJJ is likely
opting out for 21/22 and Hood is also gone. Unless the team knows Nurk's return is imminent, they
are going to need another big for Nurk's original injury prognosis was eight weeks before he would
be evaluated and he's going to need time to get his conditioning. Portland could roll with LA and
Roco up front with 3 point shooters Dame/CJ and GTJ.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#13 » by GEE » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:08 am

Holy Crap!!! This could be the moment... the move that moves the needle.

I'll just say what I said on the trade board thread... LA coming back to Portland should happen, but only if LA really wants to. He should be able to control where he goes if he plays it smart. I expect him to make a statement of some kind soon, and if he wants to be here, he could just go with the Harden playbook; just come right out and say you want to go to Portland, and it will be done.

Just imagine this for the playoffs:

Dame
CJ / GTJ
Jones / Hood
ROCO / Melo
Nurkic / LA

Bench: Simons, Little, Kanter
Depth: cj, Giles, Blevins
IR: Collins
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#14 » by Sinobas » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:28 am

Who would he replace in the lineup? Not sure if he's much of an upgrade over Carmelo Anthony, and he's a lot more expensive. If he earned less I might trade him for Hood, since Hood has been garbage this year.
d-train
RealGM

Post#15 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:34 am

GEE wrote:Holy Crap!!! This could be the moment... the move that moves the needle.

I'll just say what I said on the trade board thread... LA coming back to Portland should happen, but only if LA really wants to. He should be able to control where he goes if he plays it smart. I expect him to make a statement of some kind soon, and if he wants to be here, he could just go with the Harden playbook; just come right out and say you want to go to Portland, and it will be done.

Just imagine this for the playoffs:

Dame
CJ / GTJ
Jones / Hood
ROCO / Melo
Nurkic / LA

Bench: Simons, Little, Kanter
Depth: cj, Giles, Blevins
IR: Collins

LMA would be Kanter's backup. He would share minutes behind Nurk when Nurk is back. He's not an all-star. He wouldn't get any PF minutes.
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:48 am

Sinobas wrote:Who would he replace in the lineup? Not sure if he's much of an upgrade over Carmelo Anthony, and he's a lot more expensive. If he earned less I might trade him for Hood, since Hood has been garbage this year.

He wouldn't replace anyone in our 7, Lillard, CJ, Nurk, RoCo, DJJ, GTJ, and Melo. He would share backup center minutes with Kanter.
d-train
RealGM

Post#17 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:52 am

He would be a great pickup after clearing waivers. No trade is possible. Without actually looking, I suspect all other good teams are in similar situation as Blazers.
d-train
RealGM

Post#18 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:48 am

Popovich said in interview Aldridge leaving team would be a win for Spurs. Doesn't sound like the same player that left Portland in 2015.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#19 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:44 am

Norm2953 wrote:Collins, DJJ and Hood for LA.

It's not likely Collins is coming back unless he signs a make good offer from Portland. DJJ is likely opting out for 21/22 and Hood is also gone. Unless the team knows Nurk's return is imminent, they are going to need another big for Nurk's original injury prognosis was eight weeks before he would be evaluated and he's going to need time to get his conditioning. Portland could roll with LA and Roco up front with 3 point shooters Dame/CJ and GTJ.

I'm a fan of Collins ... who has been out with non-career-threatening injuries. I like Hood's improved play coming off the Achilles while still young enough to have a shot. I like DJJ with his "potential" combined with what he can already do athletically and on D.

With that said, if it's win now, LMA would be the move that's doable. LMA helps while Nurkic is out (and given his history, that would help). LMA was not a defensive stopper but not a liability, either. That he now takes and hits 3's lets him go from midrange-and-in to an actual pick and roll, pick and pop from 3 guy. He doesn't needs 30+ minutes per game anymore. Sometimes but not a steady diet. His salary goes DOWN after this season.

And, yes, LMA even losing a step is more versatile on O. He could play alongside Nurkic and Kanter, IMHO. At 35 (36 in July), this is a win now scenario. That's what's talked about, and the mixed reviews that Collins, DJJ and Hood receive makes sense from the Blazers' side. The Spurs' risk is limited. Need a bucket? The Blazers get an upgrade over who's going out.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#20 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:57 am

I do think its a doable trade if Portland is in a win now window for with the contract extensions for with the
Dame/CJ contracts coming online starting next season, its not likely Portland can afford to offer Collins even
a QO to protect their rights as a RFA, if they match all offers for GTJ who is going to get paid next season
as a RFA. Portland is in the position with those extensions of having to let guys go and watching every dollar
in salary given they likely will be matching all offers to GTJ and have to prepare to pay Nurk the following
season.

It's very likely DJJ will opt out of his contract and once again they can't afford him if he gets new offers for
more money than he got this season. Hood is almost certainly gone irregardless of how well he plays down
the stretch.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers