ImageImageImageImageImage

Relax kids....Curry ain’t going nowhere!

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Relax kids....Curry ain’t going nowhere! 

Post#1 » by Mylie10 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:15 pm

So basically Myers said that the deal is on the table and will be. Curry said let's revisit in the offseason.

The REAL POINT of waiting until this offseason is that he can sign a 4 year extension versus only a 3 year one right now. And if he waits until the following off season he can sign a 5 year extension.

At Currys age it's prudent to sign a four versus theee year deal. Which means is he's basically done with contracts until he retires. It's kind security.

Another point is that the Warriors have an open door, collaborative thing going on with the front office and players. So if Curry feels like the team is going in a certain direction, he will always have a voice in decisions. Input at the very least.

Curry has probably made Lacob 3 billion dollars in value over his tenure. And I guarantee that if Curry wants a guy moved, or any other roster issue, he knows he can go right to Kerr, Myers, and Lacob.

Curry understands the league as well as anyone, and he grew up with a father who played in the league. There is nothing about this process that would have Curry upset. And I'd bet his dad would be the first to tell him he's extremely fortunate to play for a coach, GM, and owner like this.

Grass is green here. It ain't greener elsewhere for Curry.

RELAX and enjoy
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Re: Relax kids....Curry ain’t going nowhere! 

Post#2 » by Soca » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Was there a reason to worry?
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mylie10 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:45 pm

I’m hearing lots of folks claim that if Curry doesn’t see some action on the roster soon he’s going to leave. Or if he thinks they aren’t going about it the right way he won’t sign.

Of course there are plenty of people saying this crap. Just look at all the Curry age timeline stuff and the Wiseman hand wringing.

So maybe you and me aren’t worried or have never been worried about is Soca, but there are plenty of people out there talking this crap.

So I thought I’d share what Myers had to say this morning.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#4 » by Onus » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I’m hearing lots of folks claim that if Curry doesn’t see some action on the roster soon he’s going to leave. Or if he thinks they aren’t going about it the right way he won’t sign.

Of course there are plenty of people saying this crap. Just look at all the Curry age timeline stuff and the Wiseman hand wringing.

So maybe you and me aren’t worried or have never been worried about is Soca, but there are plenty of people out there talking this crap.

So I thought I’d share what Myers had to say this morning.

It’s not that Curry would leave it’s about maximizing currys career. It’s why Lebron leaves every 4 years. It’s why Kobe threatened to leave the lakers until they made a push. I don’t think Curry is that type of person but it’s not the best thing for currys career to play next to g leaguers waiting for wiseman or the next lottery pick to hopefully pan out. Is it what’s best for the organization to hope wiseman or the minny pick becomes a superstar vs trading them for a win now piece? Who knows. It all depends on whether or not you think wiseman or the minny pick can become an actual superstar or not. Wiseman has another 3 years to prove his potential but damn that sucks for Curry to waste his last mvp years.

If you don’t care about currys legacy then yea who cares. He can play out his last years on an irrelevant team and end up top 30 or top 20 of all time which is great. But what if he was able to win a couple of championships in the next few years and was able to jump into the top 10 of all time, which he has a chance to do. Is it right of the organization or of fans to ask him to sacrifice that chance to crack the top 10?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#5 » by and1GS » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:15 pm

I think Curry views things differently than LeBron in the same way Dame does.

Generalizing doesn't work with players at the top 10 level. Each is their own case study. You may care about Steph being top 10 all time, but I don't think he does. Also, I hate to keep saying this, but building a winner takes time. You either take that time or do what LeBron does and peace out once it's time for a rebuild. Those are literally the options, there is no shortcut.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Onus
RealGM

Post#6 » by Onus » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:25 pm

and1GS wrote:I think Curry views things differently than LeBron in the same way Dame does.

Generalizing doesn't work with players at the top 10 level. Each is their own case study. You may care about Steph being top 10 all time, but I don't think he does. Also, I hate to keep saying this, but building a winner takes time. You either take that time or do what LeBron does and peace out once it's time for a rebuild. Those are literally the options, there is no shortcut.

I agree I don’t think Steph cares about being top 10 of all time. Supposedly he’s really competitive so I’d assume he wants to win though.

There is a shortcut which is mortgage the future to win now.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#7 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 am

GREAT. Now I'm worried ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#8 » by and1GS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:18 am

Onus wrote:
and1GS wrote:I think Curry views things differently than LeBron in the same way Dame does.

I agree I don’t think Steph cares about being top 10 of all time. Supposedly he’s really competitive so I’d assume he wants to win though.

Yeh that's what I was getting at. From player POV it's trade everything to win now. Organization POV it's mortgage future win now.

So yeh the two options are sell out to appease your star or build sustainably. And just so I'm clear - you can absolutely fail with each approach.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#9 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:33 am

and1GS wrote:
Onus wrote:

Yeh that's what I was getting at. From player POV it's trade everything to win now. Organization POV it's mortgage future win now.

So yeh the two options are sell out to appease your star or build sustainably. And just so I'm clear - you can absolutely fail with each approach.

Whichever side of the fence you fall on with the strategies to win a title.....none of us truly know where Steph stands.

And I can fully guarantee you that Steph has a voice in the room. They are a collaborative group and the core players are in on it.

So if the keep the picks and stick with Wiseman, you can know that Steph has signed off on it.

Steph is THE most important piece on this team. Acting like he’ll leave because the front office isn’t going the direction he wants doesn’t really match up with what we know.
Khoee wrote “
Onus
RealGM

Post#10 » by Onus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:53 am

and1GS wrote:
Onus wrote:

I agree both approaches can fail.

I also agree with those that say that there isn't a superstar available right now that is worth all of our assets
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#11 » by killmongrel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:59 am

Steph is like the least stressful super star in the league when it comes to team loyalty.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#12 » by WarriorGM » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:42 am

B.S. B.S. B.S.

I cannot seriously consider LeBron among the very best because he has always needed to tear down the teams he is with or in the last case poach another star who was in the middle of a contract to compete. Why people think he's some peerless player knowing all of this and keep hyping him is something you'll have to explain.

Curry doesn't care? If he didn't he'd cash his checks and take it easy.

Building a winner always takes time? The Celtics, the Heat, the Lakers, the Nets suggest otherwise. Even the current Warriors management themselves were able to turn things around pretty quick after Cohan left.

There are lots of spoiled complacent views here when it comes to Steph. He really could benefit from triggering a far more serious reassessment of what he has done by threatening to leave.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#13 » by cpower » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:58 am

Curry should wait and see how roster looks next year. When you have a chance to crack into top 10 ever, you try your best to get there. If we screw up i dont mind seeing him going elsewhere to win more rings.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#14 » by michaelm » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:41 am

Onus wrote:
and1GS wrote:
Onus wrote:I agree I don’t think Steph cares about being top 10 of all time. Supposedly he’s really competitive so I’d assume he wants to win though.

I agree both approaches can fail.

I also agree with those that say that there isn't a superstar available right now that is worth all of our assets

Agree.

Also worth noting a significant portion of the fanbase was against trading Monta, which was a great move, and Steph himself was a Mark Jackson admirer, the jettisoning of whom was also a good move imo and that of most others.

Definitely don’t want to waste Steph’s prime, as I am sure the FO don’t want to do so either given he is being paid 40 million a year apart from anything else, but who is available as you say, and who is gettable if available ?.

My concern is in regard to who is making the roster construction decisions, particularly if it is Lacob et fils ahead of professional basketball people. It is reputed that only Jerry West saved them from trading Klay for Kevin Love, which as opposed to the previous examples wouldn’t have been such a great idea in the opinion of most including me.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#15 » by and1GS » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 am

WarriorGM wrote:

B.S. B.S. B.S.

I cannot seriously consider LeBron among the very best because he has always needed to tear down the teams he is with or in the last case poach another star who was in the middle of a contract to compete. Why people think he's some peerless player knowing all of this and keep hyping him is something you'll have to explain.

Building a winner always takes time? The Celtics, the Heat, the Lakers, the Nets suggest otherwise. Even the current Warriors management themselves were able to turn things around pretty quick after Cohan left.

There are lots of spoiled complacent views here when it comes to Steph. He really could benefit from triggering a far more serious reassessment of what he has done by threatening to leave.

Woof dude...I don't even know where to start so I'm just not going to try.

Mylie10
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:26 am

and1GS wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

B.S. B.S. B.S.

Woof dude...I don't even know where to start so I'm just not going to try.

Same
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mylie10 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:27 am

Again.....not a small point....by waiting until the offseason it triggers a 4 year extension. Old guys love guaranteed years.
Khoee wrote “
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#18 » by TB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:49 pm

Not worried about Steph at all when it comes to the contract stuff.

I do think if next year and potentially the year after don't go as planned, he will entertain joining a better team to end his career. But I dont think it will be tough for Myers to build a competitive team over those years making it a non issue... i mean we already have a competitive team if we add Klay, a developing Wiseman, and the Minny Pick or whatever we get for it.

We are perfectly set up for Steph to finish his career here with one more 4 or 5 year deal.
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 96

Post#19 » by Chupchup » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:18 pm

The real question is did Meyers offer him the "MAX" ? Next Year's Salary will be 45 mil a year. Does it go up from there?

So what would be the offer/ask ?

40 mil a year? 35 mil? 30 Mil? Paying Curry 50 mil a year will be tough as he ages I think..

Perhaps something like this ?
Age - 33 - 2021-2022 - 45 mil
======== (Extension Years )
Age - 34 - 2022-2023 - 40 mil
Age - 35 - 2023-2024 - 35 mil
Age - 36 - 2024-2025 - 30 mil
Age - 37 - 2025-2026 - 25 mil

4 year = 130 ? = average 32 mil a year? You figure we'll need better players and more depth as Curry ages.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/stephen-curry-6287/

Current Contract
Stephen Curry signed a 5 year / $201,158,790 contract with the Golden State Warriors, including $201,158,790 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $40,231,758. In 2020-1, Curry will earn a base salary of $43,006,362, while carrying a cap hit of $43,006,362 and a dead cap value of $43,006,362.

CONTRACT:5 yr(s) / $201,158,790 BONUS:- AVG. SALARY:$40,231,758 SIGNED USING:Bird FREE AGENT:2022 / UFA
YEAR AGE STATUS BASE SALARY CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2020-21 Contract details by year 32 $43,006,362 $43,006,362 $43,006,362
$40,491,877
($152,863,339)
2021-22 Contract details by year 33 $45,780,966 $45,780,966 $45,780,966
$45,780,966
($198,644,305)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#20 » by TB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:22 pm

You give Curry whatever he wants and never worry about the dollar amount.

Return to Golden State Warriors