ImageImageImageImageImage

All kinds of rumors about Drummond

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Re: All kinds of rumors about Drummond 

Post#81 » by HardenGoat » Tue Mar 9, 2021 10:56 pm

We have 2 spots open to fill, wing and center. I think Drummond who is connected to Blake and has been playing in the offseason with Harden is likely going to come here (which is also home) over Lakers. Keeping him off the Lakers is a victory in itself. The DPE or even a trade can be done for our wing 3-D. Blake simply backs up Green, I love Claxton and he will get minutes but I can see Drummond as that essential insurance policy for the post season to back up Jordan. We have the Sixers playing big and Lakers will also.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#82 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:35 am

Openheimer wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Openheimer wrote:The Nets need a rebounding big man bad. They have Claxton for defensive purposes. They just need a big guy who can rebound the ball and be respectable interior defender. Nothing special. Drummond fits all of that

Do we need that? we are 10-1 in our last 11 games. We were outrebounded in only 3 of those games (and one of those was being outrebounded 39 to 38). We were 2-1 in those 3 games. including a wire to wire win over the clippers.

as mentioned above, the past decade shows evidence you can win with a middle of the pack, or even poor rebounding team.

like Blake, id take drummond for free. but i dont think rebounding is really an issue at this point

In the playoffs where the possessions are at a premium yea you will need a big time rebounder to limit the opponent’s second chance opportunities

The facts of the past decade say otherwise. so does the drastically increased use of smallball in the playoffs.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#83 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:53 am

Has our rebounding been that bad as of late? We've tightened up defensively and on the defensive glass. I think honestly turnovers are a bigger factor in our games than rebounding right now.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#84 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:17 am

Bart Scott had J-Will on his radio show and they both agreed that if the Nets add Andre Drummond too, GAME OVER, it's a wrap and nobody is stopping them from winning it all, not even the Lakers with a healthy AD.

Those were their exact words: "GAME OVER"
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#85 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:21 am

Whiskey Slick wrote:Bart Scott had J-Will on his radio show and they both agreed that if the Nets add Andre Drummond too, GAME OVER, it's a wrap and nobody is stopping them from winning it all, not even the Lakers with a healthy AD.

Those were their exact words: "GAME OVER"

My thing with Drummond is that while he will be a great rebounder for us, he's not known for being a defensive presence. I'm curious about the fit.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#86 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Has our rebounding been that bad as of late? We've tightened up defensively and on the defensive glass. I think honestly turnovers are a bigger factor in our games than rebounding right now.

I posted above. we were outrebounded just 3 times during the 10-1 streak. and one of those was outrebounded by just 1 (39-38).
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Post#87 » by Whiskey Slick » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Prokorov wrote:I posted above. we were outrebounded just 3 times during the 10-1 streak. and one of those was outrebounded by just 1 (39-38).

The playoffs are a different animal.

Defensive rebounding is a must. I don't care what the stats say since the 1980's, it's common sense that if you give teams second and third chances to score on enough possessions they are going to score considerably more points than if you are taking down defensive rebounds after the first miss, and that can spell the difference between winning and losing post season games. Also offensive rebounding gives YOU the opposite advantage.

Even in a league where the 3P Shot is king and rebounding no-longer has the same impact it did in the 70's and 80's, it's still common sense that more rebounding equals more shots, more shots equals more points, and more points equals more wins, and IMO that's exacerbated in the playoffs when EVERY POSSESSION matters.

That said, minus Drummond how are we going to win rebounding battles verses the likes of Embiid?

Short answer: We're not.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#88 » by Prokorov » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:54 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:
Prokorov wrote:I posted above. we were outrebounded just 3 times during the 10-1 streak. and one of those was outrebounded by just 1 (39-38).

The playoffs are a different animal.

Defensive rebounding is a must. I don't care what the stats say since the 1980's, it's common sense that if you give teams second and third chances to score on enough possessions they are going to score considerably more points than if you are taking down defensive rebounds after the first miss, and that can spell the difference between winning and losing post season games. Also offensive rebounding gives YOU the opposite advantage.

You say "its common sense" but then want to throw away 41 years of difinitive data that shows (ESPECIALLY in the playoffs) That being poor, or even awful at rebounding has not cost teams titles, and, in fact the majority of champions the past decade is riddled with poor or awful rebounding teams.

The game has changed. teams that are big that rebound typically dont even make the playoffs. Nearly everyone good sacrafices rebounding for shooting and spacing.

its simply analytics, more possesions for the opponent doesnt matter if you are scoring 5 times more efficiently then they are by going smaller.

Fact with regards to this team this year: the nets have had less possesions then the opponent in 22 of 24 wins.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#89 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:19 pm

Claxton is probably a better defender than Drummond anyway. Drummond is slow and heavy.

I don't care as much about rebounding if he can't switch defensively, which is our entire philosophy on defense.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#90 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:23 pm

I don't want Drummond anywhere this team. He does not move the needle at all for this team.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#91 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:30 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Claxton is probably a better defender than Drummond anyway. Drummond is slow and heavy.

I don't care as much about rebounding if he can't switch defensively, which is our entire philosophy on defense.

even if drummond is better defensively, its not in the ways that will help us as much as claxton who can stick anyone on a switch
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 am

I really don't want Claxton to lose minutes here. The guy is barely scratching the surface

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#93 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 am

LMA will be the next rumor. You can do a lot worse as a backup center.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#94 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 am

Hard pass on LMA. He would not fit in here.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#95 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:30 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Hard pass on LMA. He would not fit in here.

+1 on this. add him to blake griffin in the scrap heap of washed former all-stars. You can only take so many roster spots for guys like that.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#96 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:49 pm

I think Aldridge is going to get bought out since it's difficult to see any team wanting to match salaries to get him at this point in his career.

If he comes on a min. contract that's actually a great move, he spaces the floor for a big since that jumper is still automatic and he's big and strong enough to bang with the big fellas once the game slows down in the playoffs (ie I would trust LaMarcus a lot more than Jeff Green on AD). He'd be an absolute luxury as the 3rd string big, and yeah that turnaround J is still beautiful.

I doubt Nets get him though since he has enough left to help a younger team like the Suns with his veteran presence rather than being a glorified cheerleader in Brooklyn.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#97 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:57 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:I think Aldridge is going to get bought out since it's difficult to see any team wanting to match salaries to get him at this point in his career.

If he comes on a min. contract that's actually a great move, he spaces the floor for a big since that jumper is still automatic and he's big and strong enough to bang with the big fellas once the game slows down in the playoffs (ie I would trust LaMarcus a lot more than Jeff Green on AD). He'd be an absolute luxury as the 3rd string big, and yeah that turnaround J is still beautiful.

I doubt Nets get him though since he has enough left to help a younger team like the Suns with his veteran presence rather than being a glorified cheerleader in Brooklyn.

Having watched AD completely decimnate aldridge on multiple occasions the past 3 seasons, with aldrdige being less washed then, i want no part of LMA guarding him (or really anyone). I think he is a negative value to this team. i wouldnt touch him. you want to give him the 15 spot for leadership and a flyer? fine, then cut blake. you cant have 2 of those types wasting a roster spot
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#98 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:06 pm

Prokorov wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:I think Aldridge is going to get bought out since it's difficult to see any team wanting to match salaries to get him at this point in his career.

Having watched AD completely decimnate aldridge on multiple occasions the past 3 seasons, with aldrdige being less washed then, i want no part of LMA guarding him (or really anyone). I think he is a negative value to this team. i wouldnt touch him. you want to give him the 15 spot for leadership and a flyer? fine, then cut blake. you cant have 2 of those types wasting a roster spot

Title teams have carried a lot more dead weight in the past than Aldridge as the 15th man, a 7 footer who has playoff experience, is about 40% from 3 and can get his own bucket is not worthless.

I doubt we need to worry about this though since I don't think the Nets are in the running, he has more to offer other teams and Marks has bigger plans with the tools at his disposal.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#99 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm

sashaturiaf wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Title teams have carried a lot more dead weight in the past than Aldridge as the 15th man, a 7 footer who has playoff experience, is about 40% from 3 and can get his own bucket is not worthless.

I doubt we need to worry about this though since I don't think the Nets are in the running, he has more to offer other teams and Marks has bigger plans with the tools at his disposal.

he isnt worthless as a 15th man. like i said, if we want him, cut blake. but we already have a corpse there
sashaturiaf
Veteran

Post#100 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

he isnt worthless as a 15th man. like i said, if we want him, cut blake. but we already have a corpse there

Team will only play about 8 guys in the playoffs anyway, the rest of the roster are cheerleaders/injury insurance. Sorry but I just can't agree Blake and LaMarcus having no place on the roster when as soon as a week ago guys like TLC and Roberson were getting minutes.

I'm a skeptic of how much Blake('s knees) has left but would lol if he started off tomorrow with a dunk.

Return to Brooklyn Nets