Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways 

Post#21 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Collins, DJJ and Hood for LA.

It's not likely Collins is coming back unless he signs a make good offer from Portland. DJJ is likely opting out for 21/22 and Hood is also gone. Unless the team knows Nurk's return is imminent, they are going to need another big for Nurk's original injury prognosis was eight weeks before he would be evaluated and he's going to need time to get his conditioning. Portland could roll with LA and Roco up front with 3 point shooters Dame/CJ and GTJ.

I'm a fan of Collins ... who has been out with non-career-threatening injuries. I like Hood's improved play coming off the Achilles while still young enough to have a shot. I like DJJ with his "potential" combined with what he can already do athletically and on D.

With that said, if it's win now, LMA would be the move that's doable. LMA helps while Nurkic is out (and given his history, that would help). LMA was not a defensive stopper but not a liability, either. That he now takes and hits 3's lets him go from midrange-and-in to an actual pick and roll, pick and pop from 3 guy. He doesn't needs 30+ minutes per game anymore. Sometimes but not a steady diet. His salary goes DOWN after this season.

And, yes, LMA even losing a step is more versatile on O. He could play alongside Nurkic and Kanter, IMHO. At 35 (36 in July), this is a win now scenario. That's what's talked about, and the mixed reviews that Collins, DJJ and Hood receive makes sense from the Blazers' side. The Spurs' risk is limited. Need a bucket? The Blazers get an upgrade over who's going out.

The player you describe sounds like a player Spurs would want to have. Wonder why Popovich says LMA leaving the Spurs is a win.

Aldridge can't play forward because we have at least 4 better players at that position. He could be a backup to Kanter, but Nurk is back in 2-3 weeks. LMA weak rebounding is a problem complementing our forwards. LMA doesn't shoot 3's often our well. He used to play closer to the basket, but now he shoots mainly very long 2's. He is a bad fit because he doesn't set good screens and never rolls to the basket. Our guards like to run pick-n-rolls.

LMA has some assets at the right price. He can shoot and rebound a little. He has always been a strong finisher around the basket, too bad he has never been willing to take full advantage of that skill. Last couple years have been the worst for him.
d-train
RealGM

Post#22 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:30 am

Norm2953 wrote:Dame/CJ contracts coming online starting next season, its not likely Portland can afford to offer Collins even
a QO to protect their rights as a RFA, if they match all offers for GTJ who is going to get paid next season
as a RFA. Portland is in the position with those extensions of having to let guys go and watching every dollar
in salary given they likely will be matching all offers to GTJ and have to prepare to pay Nurk the following
season.

It's very likely DJJ will opt out of his contract and once again they can't afford him if he gets new offers for
more money than he got this season. Hood is almost certainly gone irregardless of how well he plays down
the stretch.

Collins will get the QO, unless doctors say his foot problem is career threatening. There currently is no such dire prognosis, so far. If Collins gets RFA offers, Blazers will match. Of course, you would have to be very wrong for any team to make an offer.

Blazers will also offer DJJ the maximum deal they can. He might get a better offer.

Blazers will also retain GTJ, unless he is traded. I doubt he will be traded. I think these fears about GTJ being ridiculously overpaid are a continuation of the usual nonsense from the sky is falling crowd.
d-train
RealGM

Post#23 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:54 pm

How about Mavs trade KP for LMA?

Mavs get a reset on a bad deal and a serviceable player who is old but still talented.

Spurs get a new headache for an old headache.

This is the type of deal Mavs can expect if they really want out of the KP contract. And, this is the type of trade Spurs can get if they want a deal, rather than just wait out LMA's final year.

Maybe LMA wants out enough to make Spurs a deal they can't refuse. It worked for Griffin and Pistons.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,878

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:32 pm

LMA is a pure 5 at this point, and his defense there isnt even that great. The question has to be, does LMA as a backup C shore up more weaknesses for this team than Enes Kanter. I would say no. He is a better talent, but the elite ORBs, elite DRB's, 2nd chance points and screening that Kanter provides is more needed by this team than anything that LMA improves us at.

If LMA could play PF, he could be a needle mover for us. But he just cant. The past 3 years in SA he has played 95%+ at C according to BBREF (They dont have infallible positional estimates, but they are not completely off and to argue he has been a PF would be arguing that their tracking is completely bunk)

Enes keeps getting no love. All his advanced metrics this year are better than LMA
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#25 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Sound like a broken record, but if the Blazers are trading with the Spurs, DeRozan should be the #1 target.

Oden2 wrote:Jones + hood id actually consider but nothing more than that.

That leaves a $5M salary gap. Portland would also have to include Collins, which I guess I would be okay with. But it really makes the roster a bit imbalanced. When CJ and Nurkić get back, Trent would have to SF full time where he's a bit undersized. Aldridge would have to play PF full time where he's lacking the athleticism of younger players. Plus in a 3-for-1 trade, the Blazers would be down to just 12 filled roster spots.

But then there's the real question - can the Spurs get a better offer elsewhere? A Collins/Jones/Hood offer really isn't that enticing.

d-train wrote:He wouldn't replace anyone in our 7, Lillard, CJ, Nurk, RoCo, DJJ, GTJ, and Melo. He would share backup center minutes with Kanter.

2021 Aldridge isn't the peak Aldridge that we remember. But he's definitely still a capable NBA player that would help Portland this season without compromising cap space long-term.

d-train wrote:Popovich said in interview Aldridge leaving team would be a win for Spurs. Doesn't sound like the same player that left Portland in 2015.

Yes it does. Aldridge was never known as a vocal leader that players rallied around during his Portland tenure.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#26 » by Pattycakes » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:02 pm

d-train wrote:How about Mavs trade KP for LMA?

Mavs get a reset on a bad deal and a serviceable player who is old but still talented.

This is the type of deal Mavs can expect if they really want out of the KP contract. And, this is the type of trade Spurs can get if they want a deal, rather than just wait out LMA's final year.

Maybe LMA wants out enough to make Spurs a deal they can't refuse. It worked for Griffin and Pistons.

Go ask that on the Mavs board lol. I'm gonna take that one as a hard no in Dallas.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm

As I've been saying on the TB, I think he'll get bought out and will end up with the Lakers. Real chance
he'll be earning a ring (along with Wesley Matthews) playing alongside of Lebron
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#28 » by PDXKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Norm2953 wrote:As I've been saying on the TB, I think he'll get bought out and will end up with the Lakers. Real chance
he'll be earning a ring (along with Wesley Matthews) playing alongside of Lebron

if he’s bought out i’d bet the house i don’t own he comes to Portland if we want him
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#29 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:36 pm

LMA in San Antonio has been playing center. Except for old man Gasol, who else did they have? Yes, it's an easier cover and LMA now in his mid-30s is helped by that. But how much of his playing center was based on what they had and maximizing the roster and what position he can play best?

As I don't watch the Spurs much at all, I'll defer to the opinions of others who do watch them and how he's moving/playing. With the injury history of Nurkic and the limitations of Kanter (along with his strengths and some effort to play D), I see plenty of opportunity for LMA and minutes with the Blazers.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#30 » by PDXKnight » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:51 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:LMA in San Antonio has been playing center. Except for old man Gasol, who else did they have? Yes, it's an easier cover and LMA now in his mid-30s is helped by that. But how much of his playing center was based on what they had and maximizing the roster and what position he can play best?

As I don't watch the Spurs much at all, I'll defer to the opinions of others who do watch them and how he's moving/playing. With the injury history of Nurkic and the limitations of Kanter (along with his strengths and some effort to play D), I see plenty of opportunity for LMA and minutes with the Blazers.

I don’t know too much about lma as of late either but i agree there’s minutes for him and at this point we have nothing to lose. It’s not like this signing will make our break a championship so might as well bring him back especially if he’s a free agent addition
d-train
RealGM

Post#31 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
d-train wrote:How about Mavs trade KP for LMA?

Go ask that on the Mavs board lol. I'm gonna take that one as a hard no in Dallas.

The difference between Spurs fans and Mavs fans on this point is most Spurs fans know they aren't going to get much for LMA. Some Mavs fans know they can't get much for KP, most don't.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#32 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:27 pm

I only see LMA coming home if he is bought out. I can't imagine the Blazers would trade $25M in salaries for him. If he's bought out, I would imagine the Blazers will look to move someone... Hood, Collins, Simons, or Little to free up the space to sign him so they don't go over the tax. I would think Hood would be the one moved, but that is up to $10M they'd have to find a taker for.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#33 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:28 pm

Norm2953 wrote:As I've been saying on the TB, I think he'll get bought out and will end up with the Lakers. Real chance

Based on his personality, he's more likely to sign with Dallas than a major market team like the Lakers/Clippers/Nets.

There's a legit argument that Aldridge is the fifth greatest Blazer. 9 seasons, 4 all-star appearances, 3 all-NBA appearances. For sentimental reasons, and honestly just to avoid potentially overpaying Collins this off-season, I'm warming up to the Collins/Jones/Hood trade. But San Antonio would have to want that. An injured Collins, Jones with a player option, and a washed Hood isn't a very enticing trade package. And Portland would be foolish to add much more for a 35 year old impending free agent. So it would have to be some situation where the Spurs are doing Aldridge/his agent a favor by sending him to a preferred destination.

And like I've repeatedly said, while it would make us a better team from a raw talent standpoint, the fit is so questionable if this team is healthy (big if, but still!). Nurkić/Kanter have the center position locked down. Then you have Covington who is too good not to play. Anthony likely has a handshake deal to ensure playing time. So even if you play Aldridge at the 4, you're pushing Covington/Anthony to play (and defend!) the 3, or moving Trent down to play the 3. And then that pushes Little out of the rotation, which sucks because he deserves playing time, but isn't that big of a deal as he would be out of the rotation when this team gets healthy regardless...

McCollum for Butler years ago was "the move". Going after Harden would have been a boom-or-bust move, which the team seems reluctant to make. Acquiring Aldridge, either through trading short-term pieces or free agency is just going to boost our second-tier depth and talent. If it happens, great. If it doesn't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I only see LMA coming home if he is bought out. I can't imagine the Blazers would trade $25M in salaries for him. If he's bought out, I would imagine the Blazers will look to move someone... Hood, Collins, Simons, or Little to free up the space to sign him so they don't go over the tax. I would think Hood would be the one moved, but that is up to $10M they'd have to find a taker for.

Blazers have the cap space to sign him on a veteran's minimum contract without stepping into the luxury tax due to bonus provisions in Nurkić's contract no longer being likely to hit. Zero chance the Blazers move Simons or Little. Collins/Jones/Hood makes sense but only if the Blazers have no intentions of bringing them back next season. As much as everyone thinks Jones is gone, I'm not so sure he turns down that player option.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#34 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:45 pm

Oden2 wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:LMA in San Antonio has been playing center. Except for old man Gasol, who else did they have? Yes, it's an easier cover and LMA now in his mid-30s is helped by that. But how much of his playing center was based on what they had and maximizing the roster and what position he can play best?

I don’t know too much about lma as of late either but i agree there’s minutes for him and at this point we have nothing to lose. It’s not like this signing will make our break a championship so might as well bring him back especially if he’s a free agent addition

We lose $22M worth of good players in a trade. I think you are referring to getting him after buyout. Yeah, if he comes as FA and understands and accepts his role, he could be great.

We would have minutes for him, but not a lot. I don't see LMA adding the hard work and enthusiasm we get from Melo and Kanter. I am concerned we lose that cohesive effort if we add a 3rd sharing same minutes.

Can LMA transform himself from a player Popovich doesn't want because he can't be relied upon as a contributor, to a player that will reliably and enthusiastically contribute for Stotts? There is no doubt LMA is capable.
d-train
RealGM

Post#35 » by d-train » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I only see LMA coming home if he is bought out. I can't imagine the Blazers would trade $25M in salaries for him. If he's bought out, I would imagine the Blazers will look to move someone... Hood, Collins, Simons, or Little to free up the space to sign him so they don't go over the tax. I would think Hood would be the one moved, but that is up to $10M they'd have to find a taker for.

We don't have to make any trade to sign him under the tax.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#36 » by Pattycakes » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 pm

LA is plug and play instantly with Stotts and this team, you guys are hardcore overthinking this
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#37 » by Norm2953 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:48 pm

All it would take to get LA to the Lakers are phone calls from Lebron and Wesley Matthews. Portland is not a championship contender but the Lakers are....
d-train
RealGM

Post#38 » by d-train » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:16 am

Norm2953 wrote:All it would take to get LA to the Lakers are phone calls from Lebron and Wesley Matthews. Portland is not a championship contender but the Lakers are....

It's funny you mentioned Wes because how do know Wes won't give LMA the same middle finger LMA gave his team back in 2015. Wes was one of the players that didn't get an offer from Blazers after LMA broke up the team.

Lebron, yeah, everyone wants to be on Lebron's team. I don't know if LeBron wants LMA. If he does, LeBron and Davis are LMA's best bet to ride along to a title.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#39 » by GEE » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:15 am

POP looked a bit heartbroken in his presser. SA is going to get the same trade package Portland got... Zilch. I think a buyout is almost a certainty, and soon. Then we'll see LA's agent do his thing: First, a prepared statement by Aldridge via social media with a hint of where he wants to go.

If LA wants to come back, let him. Plug & Play player(as someone said) + he doesn't affect the salary situation + he definitely would move the needle, which makes it an easy no brainer IMO.

LA will ultimately decide where he wants to play, and he'll have plenty of choices I think. As long as it isn't the Fakers. Wessy was one of my favorite Blazers ever... then he went to the dark side. Traitor!
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#40 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:10 am

d-train wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:All it would take to get LA to the Lakers are phone calls from Lebron and Wesley Matthews. Portland is not a championship contender but the Lakers are....

It's funny you mentioned Wes because how do know Wes won't give LMA the same middle finger LMA gave his team back in 2015. Wes was one of the players that didn't get an offer from Blazers after LMA broke up the team.

Lebron, yeah, everyone wants to be on Lebron's team. I don't know if LeBron wants LMA. If he does, LeBron and Davis are LMA's best bet to ride along to a title.

We need to get over the aspects of his departure in 2015 for he was a UFA and as I recall, did not create a stink
prior to leaving. It was a business decision for him to go home to play and nobody can blame him for wanting to
play in front of his family in Texas.

Its going to be his decision where he plays. Likely he's already spoken to Dame and likely most of the teams that
are interested, have had their stars call LA to recruit him to their teams. I'm a bit fascinated by the timing for the
Spurs are in the playoff hunt (7th place) with a 18-15 record. I think the Lakers have to be the favorite with AD down
and available to play PF when he gets back for how can any player of his stature turn down Lebron and the real
chance for a ring. If he comes here, its an interesting predicament as far as PT but who knows when either Nurk or
Zach will get back and its not like Nurk was playing all that well prior to his injury. The homers on BE think we should
pass on LA if he wants to come here :banghead:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers