ImageImageImage

RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Blazers part II (Sund. 10PM EST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Re: RS 20/21 - Mavs @ Blazers part II (Sund. 10PM EST) 

Post#41 » by Archx » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:17 am

Dwight Powell had a higher 3pt% than Luka. :eyebrows:
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#42 » by agentofatlas » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:28 am

Watched some of the highlights. One of the things that really stood out this game is how they went to post Luka up when either Dame or Trent was guarding him. He was just cooking them down there.

Luka's game is evolving to a mix of Harden and old man Lebron. It's really fun to watch.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#43 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:02 am

Luka shooting 40%+ for 3 for the season makes him unguardable. And he's doing that for 2 months now, so is reachable. He will need to decide about his conditioning and FTs and put some work on. But 3s are essential for him, what is athleticism for others, shooting could be for Luka. 6'8/230 Pg, who can post players and shoot over 40% for 3 is the best player in the league by definition. Mavs will still need to upgrade roster, second Pg, who can run bench unit, upgrade SF position and find someone, who can rebound and defend.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#44 » by daoneandonly » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am

Bob8 wrote:Luka shooting 40%+ for 3 for the season makes him unguardable. And he's doing that for 2 months now, so is reachable. He will need to decide about his conditioning and FTs and put some work on. But 3s are essential for him, what is athleticism for others, shooting could be for Luka. 6'8/230 Pg, who can post players and shoot over 40% for 3 is the best player in the league by definition. Mavs will still need to upgrade roster, second Pg, who can run bench unit, upgrade SF position and find someone, who can rebound and defend.

Can you give Richardson some credit? He's played well for the most part since the break, recovering from Covid and all.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#45 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:41 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Bob8 wrote:Luka shooting 40%+ for 3 for the season makes him unguardable. And he's doing that for 2 months now, so is reachable. He will need to decide about his conditioning and FTs and put some work on. But 3s are essential for him, what is athleticism for others, shooting could be for Luka. 6'8/230 Pg, who can post players and shoot over 40% for 3 is the best player in the league by definition. Mavs will still need to upgrade roster, second Pg, who can run bench unit, upgrade SF position and find someone, who can rebound and defend.

Can you give Richardson some credit? He's played well for the most part since the break, recovering from Covid and all.

Richardson is not Pg, who can run second unit, but he can play alongside Luka, if he can shoot solidly. Mavs need another Pg, if Richardson stays or not.

Richardson had great game, but I would like Richardson playing like that, when Luka is not shooting 8/9 for 3 and team needs him to step up. That didn't happen a lot.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#46 » by JD45 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 am

Luka up to 37% on 3Pt for the year now. That is an enormous improvement on his game.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Bob8
General Manager

Post#47 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:23 pm

JD45 wrote:Luka up to 37% on 3Pt for the year now. That is an enormous improvement on his game.

43.5% in February and 43.2% in March and even more important, he's hitting massive 4.6 3s per game in March. That's elite.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#48 » by Dirk » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:53 pm

Powell jumping

Refs hate KP
60/21/10
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#49 » by leolozon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:57 pm

Dirk wrote:

After that one, KP walked off the court and went into the tunnel.

1- Honestly, Luka tried to be too cute and should have just given the ball to KP or Richardson for the easy two. I don't know what went through his head to make the more dangerous pass to the least open guy. I guess he wanted to show off. He could have done 4 things, considering he had a lay up, and he did the worst of the 4.

2- KP is being immature and his attitude could be a problem. Still he's on the team and in a situation like that, Luka should have given him the ball.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,604

Post#50 » by Dirk » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:07 pm

leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:

1- Luka tried to be too cute and should have just given the ball to KP for the easy two. I don't know what went through his head to make the more dangerous pass to the less open guy. I guess he wanted to show off.

2- KP is being immature and his attitude could be a problem. Still he's on the team and in a situation like that, Luka should have given him the ball.

Are you sure you saw all of that?

I didn't pay attention, so I don't know. I'll have to re-watch.

For what its worth, despite sucking or being injured, KP has always seemed like a good presence and I have not heard any peep of discontent from him or his camp. He also comes off as mature and smart on his interviews - so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's hope no Knicks fan reads your post ha.
60/21/10
Archx
General Manager

Post#51 » by Archx » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:35 pm

leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:

1- Honestly, Luka tried to be too cute and should have just given the ball to KP or Richardson for the easy two. I don't know what went through his head to make the more dangerous pass to the least open guy. I guess he wanted to show off. He could have done 4 things, considering he had a lay up, and he did the worst of the 4.

After re-watching this clip couple of times, you are absolutely correct lol.. I didn't even notice at first that KP had a clear dunk basically. I noticed couple of times that Luka is hesitant at passing it to KP, they also don't talk that much when the game stops. And i did notice KP got frustrated with him in the past couple of games when he didn't pass him the ball. Hopefully it's just my imagination though :-?
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#52 » by JD45 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:25 pm

That's pretty crazy. Even I would have seen KP as the obvious pass.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Bob8
General Manager

Post#53 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:11 pm

JD45 wrote:That's pretty crazy. Even I would have seen KP as the obvious pass.

30 points up and having great game obvious is not the name of the game anymore. ;)
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#54 » by leolozon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Dirk wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:

1- Luka tried to be too cute and should have just given the ball to KP for the easy two. I don't know what went through his head to make the more dangerous pass to the less open guy. I guess he wanted to show off.

For what its worth, despite sucking or being injured, KP has always seemed like a good presence and I have not heard any peep of discontent from him or his camp. He also comes off as mature and smart on his interviews - so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

They talked about it on the locked on Mavs podcast. They said he appeared frustrated and went into the tunnel. I'm not even sure he was around for the FTs. I would have to watch it again.

Both Luka and Richardson went to help DFS, while KP turned around and took a good walk.

Doncic is a showman and I'm not surprised he would try the pass that looks cooler over the easier pass. But he should be thinking about taking care of KP, considering he had 7 FGA in 25 minutes. If you're in the NBA and have a max contract, you're expecting to be more involved on offense, rightfully so.
Archx
General Manager

Post#55 » by Archx » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:35 pm

leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:
leolozon wrote:

They talked about it on the locked on Mavs podcast. They said he appeared frustrated and went into the tunnel. I'm not even sure he was around for the FTs. I would have to watch it again.

Both Luka and Richardson went to help DFS, while KP turned around and took a good walk.

Doncic is a showman and I'm not surprised he would try the pass that looks cooler over the easier pass. But he should be thinking about taking care of KP, considering he had 7 FGA in 25 minutes. If you're in the NBA and have a max contract, you're expecting to be more involved on offense, rightfully so.

Read on Twitter
Bob8
General Manager

Post#56 » by Bob8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:46 pm

leolozon wrote:
Dirk wrote:
leolozon wrote:

Firstly you should play much better, if you have max contract. Mavs desperately need him in D. They have numerous players for chucking 3s, vast majority of them with better %. His value for Mavs is as rim protector not shooting 20 shots per game.
DrPampiloni
Junior
And1: 363

Post#57 » by DrPampiloni » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Firstly you should play much better, if you have max contract. Mavs desperately need him in D. They have numerous players for chucking 3s, vast majority of them with better %. His value for Mavs is as rim protector not shooting 20 shots per game.

With all due respect: what the hell are you talking about? His value for the Mavs is to be the super-star his contract advertises him as, 20 shots a game is not that far away from what he should be averaging. Want to talk about the quality of shots, that's fine. But he should have gotten the alley-oop pass from Luka on that play, and even though he had a stellar game, I was internally yelling at Luka after I saw that play live.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#58 » by Bob8 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:33 pm

DrPampiloni wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

With all due respect: what the hell are you talking about? His value for the Mavs is to be the super-star his contract advertises him as, 20 shots a game is not that far away from what he should be averaging. Want to talk about the quality of shots, that's fine. But he should have gotten the alley-oop pass from Luka on that play, and even though he had a stellar game, I was internally yelling at Luka after I saw that play live.

It was 30 points difference and Luka wanted to do something flashy. Who cares...If KP is upset about that play, something is terrible wrong and I doubt it can be fixed. You being upset is even less understanding, 30 points up and play ended with 2 FTs.

KP role is to make Mavs better and he's essential in D, if he plays right. Mavs need his rebounding too, the least what Mavs need from him is chucking 3s deep behind the line.

Problem is that he cannot create anything for himself and it's difficult to shoot 20 shots per game playing like that. Not being able to create anything and having almost none post game limit his offense a lot. I see that some people here expect Luka babysitting him, I doubt very much that should be the case. If KP believes that he deserves more shots, he should play a lot better and make a case for him. Whining won't help much. Missing many games don't help either.

Return to Dallas Mavericks