ImageImageImage

The D'Angelo Russell Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: The D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#161 » by packforfreedom » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:35 pm

I still think Dlo is a good player. He's a natural scorer, a tough shot maker, a smooth ball handler and he can be a smart passer.
His defense isn't good but you can hide one bad defender on the perimeter when you have a good defensive team otherwise. The problem is our current 'system'. You either play him at the 1 in a PNR heavy offense, or at the 2 in a more motion based offense. But not at the 1 in some kind of 5-Out abomination

Well and he actually cares so don't compare him to Wiggins.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#162 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:06 pm

If Gerson was playing poker, he would think a Straight would be 1-2-2-2-5.

Russell has been an absolute disaster this season...there is no way to deny that as fact.

However, this roster is so poorly constructed and Saunders’ lineup configurations are so mind-blowingly bad that it might be impossible to truly pass judgement when players are being so poorly utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#163 » by IceManBK1 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:03 pm

My take is that Dlo needs to be featured in the offense to be efficient and productive. I think he is being overshadowed by Beasley's agression. I mean it's his own fault for not coming out locked in and play with high intensity. I think he'll be aggressive if the lineup was dlo/Okogie/3D guy or RHJ/Huancho or any stretch 4/Towns. I think when Towns comes back they need to focus offense on dlo and towns. No reason why they don't avg 18-20 fga each. Rest of guys should support them. Take the open shots. You know what I mean? He shouldn't be playing offball that much. He's just standing at the corner doing nth. Either you set some screens to free him or tell him to cut to the basket and run some iso post ups from the perimeter.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#164 » by TheDominator273 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:One thing i mention and that's what happends when we create a logjam in the guard positions is that all started with the idea of playing Rubio - Dlo together.

To start that was already a problem, why?
Because the ball needs to be in his hands (Dlo) more while playing the 1-3-1 you need a capable shooter bla bla bla (this was discussed before the Rubio traded happen)
All of this knowing that Rubio was by far the better player than Dlo in pretty much every single category. Especially the one that says... $17M >>> $30M

But then to complicate even more this problem you pay big money to Beasley and draft Edwards. Just brilliant. It took 3-4 games for people to realize the obvious thing. Rubio is so much better than Dlo and at same time you can't bench Dlo because he's the 'star' (BFF) and he's paid star money. So you slide Beasley to play as some type of SF role and Culver (another guard) to play as PF or something like that.

This is genius man. Just genius.
All of this could have been inevitable avoided with a more balanced roster.

How predictable was this?! Seriously.

Right? it's completely inevitable. To add insult to injury they run Culver back to lead some possesions at PG right from preseason on, and allow Edwards to run point on possessions as if he just stepped off the plane from Georgia. Why would you do this when you have Dlo and Rubio already in a pickle of who gets more point time? To make it a bloodbath, they finally sign Jmac to a second year of two way contract after camp and preseason is done so he has no prep with the team but launch him into the rotation after the first two wins for 16-24 mins of play because...they had such a dire need for more point guards on ball or guards to play off ball?

Can't wait to read about this in a future article or book that looks back to explain what all was suppsoe to have occured already by now or what is about to go down to explain all this. The Harden move still looms...Might have to wait until the dates occur that allows more players to be moved in this.
Just because a player brings the ball up after a made basket or initiate an offensive set from time to time doesn't mean they are playing point guard. It's only to our benefit that we have multiple players capable of initiating offense I'm not sure where the negativity comes with that.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#165 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:44 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:One thing i mention and that's what happends when we create a logjam in the guard positions is that all started with the idea of playing Rubio - Dlo together.

To start that was already a problem, why?
Because the ball needs to be in his hands (Dlo) more while playing the 1-3-1 you need a capable shooter bla bla bla (this was discussed before the Rubio traded happen)
All of this knowing that Rubio was by far the better player than Dlo in pretty much every single category. Especially the one that says... $17M >>> $30M

But then to complicate even more this problem you pay big money to Beasley and draft Edwards. Just brilliant. It took 3-4 games for people to realize the obvious thing. Rubio is so much better than Dlo and at same time you can't bench Dlo because he's the 'star' (BFF) and he's paid star money. So you slide Beasley to play as some type of SF role and Culver (another guard) to play as PF or something like that.

This is genius man. Just genius.
All of this could have been inevitable avoided with a more balanced roster.

How predictable was this?! Seriously.

Right? it's completely inevitable. To add insult to injury they run Culver back to lead some possesions at PG right from preseason on, and allow Edwards to run point on possessions as if he just stepped off the plane from Georgia. Why would you do this when you have Dlo and Rubio already in a pickle of who gets more point time? To make it a bloodbath, they finally sign Jmac to a second year of two way contract after camp and preseason is done so he has no prep with the team but launch him into the rotation after the first two wins for 16-24 mins of play because...they had such a dire need for more point guards on ball or guards to play off ball?

Can't wait to read about this in a future article or book that looks back to explain what all was suppsoe to have occured already by now or what is about to go down to explain all this. The Harden move still looms...Might have to wait until the dates occur that allows more players to be moved in this.
Just because a player brings the ball up after a made basket or initiate an offensive set from time to time doesn't mean they are playing point guard. It's only to our benefit that we have multiple players capable of initiating offense I'm not sure where the negativity comes with that.

You respond as if this was something happennig only once or twice. :lol: They've spent near full rotations on ball at times and that's while players like Dlo, Jmac, even Rubio have been on the court with them. The point guards at times end up being the ones only occasionally initiating the ball while they are out there. They don't have to be developed into point combos in the very first week of the season before our new set of point guards have a chance to gel with this team.

Go ahead, rewatch games if you weren't paying attention. The first 4 games for sure, even preseason before them. It was a major error in judgement. We'll see what the point was one day.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#166 » by Domejandro » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#167 » by iamworthy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:13 pm

Saw a tweet last week that said Durant, Kyrie, and harden have already played more games together than Russell and KAT. That's crazy.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,917

Post#168 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 am

iamworthy wrote:Saw a tweet last week that said Durant, Kyrie, and harden have already played more games together than Russell and KAT. That's crazy.

So have Towns and Edwards
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#169 » by ChiefKeith91 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:26 pm

I know most of the ppl on this board want Russell traded because of his contract or +/- with the other featured players but I want to see what role Finch has planned for him for the last 7 weeks. Maybe watching the improved play of the team he'll realize he can actually trust them rather then resort to hero ball. I'm really interested in seeing 3 things from him

- Him & KAT playing 15-20 games together
- C&S % during KAT/Ant 2 man game
- His playmaking ability (Hitting Ant on cuts that lead to posters)

If Finch can get him back to his Laker playmaking and Brooklyn shooting days, this team will be winning and exciting to watch

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#170 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 am

ChiefKeith91 wrote:I know most of the ppl on this board want Russell traded because of his contract or +/- with the other featured players but I want to see what role Finch has planned for him for the last 7 weeks. Maybe watching the improved play of the team he'll realize he can actually trust them rather then resort to hero ball. I'm really interested in seeing 3 things from him

- Him & KAT playing 15-20 games together
- C&S % during KAT/Ant 2 man game
- His playmaking ability (Hitting Ant on cuts that lead to posters)

If Finch can get him back to his Laker playmaking and Brooklyn shooting days, this team will be winning and exciting to watch

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Of course he could play less hero ball if playing with Kat and Beasley and a third Vet brought in. They could have even made that work with Rubio, tho would have been better with a vet forward. But if it's kids ball forget it. Because all the kids are unreliable, lack gameIQ or are stuck below higher draft pick players that are unrealiable and lack gameiq. Yet it still would have been doable had him and Kat played together enough. Just can't get anything to work right here. Always end up stepping on own toes and blaming bad luck.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#171 » by winforlose » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 pm

Any word on when he will make his on court return? I know he started practicing around 4 days ago.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#172 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:14 pm

Hes back!!!!!
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#173 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:58 pm

Dlo probly rusty tonight. Will be surprised if he scores 10 pts off the bench. I think in the long run its gonna be better if one of Beasley or Edwards come off the bench cuz we have enough shooting and spacing now that we starting McDaniels at PF. Need more defense in the backcourt. Having instant offense in the 2nd unit will bring more balance to the team.

Dlo
Okogie
Edwards
McDaniels
Towns

Beasley main fire power off bench. He can gets mins at SG and SF. Still could get 25-30mins of action
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:55 pm

The role off the bench is likely temporary, but part of me hopes it isn't. Could turn into a Manu-type role. I know that's the guy everyone says as a 6th man ceiling, but I think it actually fits....and not just because they're both lefthanded. Saw an article from early in his career that talked about Manu being his favorite player, so I think he maybe could buy into that role. He'd still close games and play big minutes too. I even think playing against reserves would help his defense.

EDIT: This was that article: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18066071/dangelo-russell-patterns-game-manu-ginobili
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#175 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Klomp wrote:The role off the bench is likely temporary, but part of me hopes it isn't. Could turn into a Manu-type role. I know that's the guy everyone says as a 6th man ceiling, but I think it actually fits....and not just because they're both lefthanded. Saw an article from early in his career that talked about Manu being his favorite player, so I think he maybe could buy into that role. He'd still close games and play big minutes too. I even think playing against reserves would help his defense.

I would absolutely love this. But few max players’ egos would go for it.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#176 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:55 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Klomp wrote:The role off the bench is likely temporary, but part of me hopes it isn't. Could turn into a Manu-type role. I know that's the guy everyone says as a 6th man ceiling, but I think it actually fits....and not just because they're both lefthanded. Saw an article from early in his career that talked about Manu being his favorite player, so I think he maybe could buy into that role. He'd still close games and play big minutes too. I even think playing against reserves would help his defense.

They really need a better PG than Rubio to pull this off. I mean Minnesota has been horrible early in games and Russell has had to come and bail them out. You could make a strong case that Minnesota would get off to much better starts with Russell starting. I'm not a fan of starting a rookie PG. While Russell off the bench is a good idea, Rosas needs to acquire a good vet PG to truly make it work.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#177 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

They really need a better PG than Rubio to pull this off. I mean Minnesota has been horrible early in games and Russell has had to come and bail them out. You could make a strong case that Minnesota would get off to much better starts with Russell starting. I'm not a fan of starting a rookie PG. While Russell off the bench is a good idea, Rosas needs to acquire a good vet PG to truly make it work.

I agree with this. I do find it interesting that Finch has played DLo almost entirely off the ball so far, even when Rubio is off the floor. Maybe he likes him better off ball or maybe he just likes someone else to guard the opposing PG.

Not that we’d pay the money or assets to acquire him, but Lonzo Ball would be an interesting fit next to DLo. Can play on and off the ball, excellent defender, and can shoot the three on high volume. Although, I don’t believe Ball and DLo like each other too much after their time in LA together.

Other actual possible options: Suggs if we get lucky and maybe Bolmaro if he develops into an actual PG.
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#178 » by TaylorTag » Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm

When I watch Russell play, he reminds me of James Harden. I think Rosas envisioned Harden when he decided to hone in on him that offseason and ultimately in the trade. Sure, Russell being friends with KAT helped, but I think Rosas thought that Russell could be what Harden was to Houston when Rosas was there -- a high-volume scoring shooting guard with some playmaking ability who often needs to play with another ball-handling guard (a la Harden and Chris Paul).

If Russell is Harden, and KAT is the prototypical modern-day center and Edwards is who he is (a unicorn), then I wonder if Rosas wouldn't be afraid to target Suggs if we keep the pick, or a player like Brogdon from Indiana.

My point is, if Russell is not going to play the point for most of his minutes, then the Wolves are in need of a competent point guard if they want to have the depth and the flexibility to make a run next year. I like McGlaughlin and am fine brining him back next year, but as a third point guard... I will settle with Rubio as the backup point guard, as he has been playing better with Russell as of late and think he can, at the very least, hold that position down on a team fighting for the play-in game. Having said that, Rubio is an expiring, so the Wolves must have some contingent plan in place other than Bolmaro being that guy, so I am curious to watch what Rosas will try to do here.

Wolves fans have been so concerned about what the team will do to address PF, but I wonder if Rosas and Finch think that a top-tier point guard is what this team is missing
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by Klomp » Wed May 12, 2021 4:00 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:When I watch Russell play, he reminds me of James Harden. I think Rosas envisioned Harden when he decided to hone in on him that offseason and ultimately in the trade. Sure, Russell being friends with KAT helped, but I think Rosas thought that Russell could be what Harden was to Houston when Rosas was there -- a high-volume scoring shooting guard with some playmaking ability who often needs to play with another ball-handling guard (a la Harden and Chris Paul).

If Russell is Harden, and KAT is the prototypical modern-day center and Edwards is who he is (a unicorn), then I wonder if Rosas wouldn't be afraid to target Suggs if we keep the pick, or a player like Brogdon from Indiana.

My point is, if Russell is not going to play the point for most of his minutes, then the Wolves are in need of a competent point guard if they want to have the depth and the flexibility to make a run next year. I like McGlaughlin and am fine brining him back next year, but as a third point guard... I will settle with Rubio as the backup point guard, as he has been playing better with Russell as of late and think he can, at the very least, hold that position down on a team fighting for the play-in game. Having said that, Rubio is an expiring, so the Wolves must have some contingent plan in place other than Bolmaro being that guy, so I am curious to watch what Rosas will try to do here.

Wolves fans have been so concerned about what the team will do to address PF, but I wonder if Rosas and Finch think that a top-tier point guard is what this team is missing

All season I have felt like Suggs would be a perfect fit in this backcourt with Russell and Edwards especially. I think PF could still be addressed via trade if they decide an upgrade is necessary.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#180 » by shrink » Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:When I watch Russell play, he reminds me of James Harden. I think Rosas envisioned Harden when he decided to hone in on him that offseason and ultimately in the trade. Sure, Russell being friends with KAT helped, but I think Rosas thought that Russell could be what Harden was to Houston when Rosas was there -- a high-volume scoring shooting guard with some playmaking ability who often needs to play with another ball-handling guard (a la Harden and Chris Paul).

I think this is spot on. I think Rosas thinks that, alongside a floor-spreading KAT, Russell could be a lesser James Harden.

Harden is also a poor defender, and his teams are automatically forced to switch because there is no way Harden is going to be able to fight through screens. Harden isn’t athletic (though he is strong for his size). I listened to a sports science pod a few years ago that measured all the abilities, and Harden was mediocre or worse in everything except one - his ability to decelerate, which he has made a career out of. Harden is a smart player and a very good passer.

There are similarities here, though Russell is a worse athlete, even worse defensively, and worse on offense obviously, etc. I think the whole line of thinking is wrong though. You can’t say, “Player X is 80% of Harden, and that will be fine.” Harden, and other elite superstars, are elite because of that extra 20%. That 20% is what makes him unguardable, where Russell struggles to get separation without a screen due to his greater lack of athleticism. Harden’s offense is so good, it makes it worthwhile to design entire defenses around him.

I imagine when Rosas saw Towns play, he thought, “Wow! If we had Towns next to Harden in HOU, Harden would have been completely unstoppable! Who can we get that’s like Harden?” The problem is, nobody is enough like Harden, especially Russell. He magnifies Hardens weaknesses without the exceptionalism of his strength.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves