ImageImageImage

Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#961 » by Baseline81 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:11 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Ant ranks 212 out of 213 for worst defense for SG and SF combined. He’s that bad.

To be that bad isn’t just low ball iq. That’s not giving a damn at all on defense.

I was simply commenting on his position, not his defense.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#962 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:14 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,812

Post#963 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 am

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Do you expect Edwards to cut out all mid-range shots?

Great point. Shots outside the paint and inside the 3 point line are not going to completely disappear. They should be taken judiciously and in a game where Ant took 31 shots 4 of them being from the in-between range seems judicious.

I expect them to last resort rather than a desired outcome. I just don’t get why you guys don’t seem to care that he only shot 5-17 from outside the paint. Look at his season averages and the numbers are clear. The jump shot is not his forte. Why you encourage a player who sucks at jump shooting (yes he sucks at jump shooting,) to keep doing it (often without passing or even trying to find a better shot,) is beyond me. Is it just because this is the Wolves and your happy for any degree of competency? You just seem to hold Ant to a different standard than anyone else in the team. Part of that is the rookie of it all, but at the same time it’s even more important for the rookies to make good decisions. If they learn to play the wrong way then it is that much harder to adjust to the right way. Ant taking a lot of jump shots is the wrong way.

Who's encouraging Ant to take bad shots? I haven't seen anybody encouraging him to take bad shots.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#964 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:26 am

_AIJ_ wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Since this is the OFFICIAL Anthony Edwards thread are we as a group OFFICIALLY glad we selected him #1 overall?

Sadly, not everyone here.

It's still debatable.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#965 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:31 am

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Since this is the OFFICIAL Anthony Edwards thread are we as a group OFFICIALLY glad we selected him #1 overall?

Do we have to be, officially or not, just to post here according to you? I'm not sure the reason behind the question. Maybe it's just late and I shouldn't be reading still.

Jedzz no we don't have to be. I was asking a question. The reason behind the question was to get an answer to the question. I was truly curious about if we were now happy with the choice. I didn't ask it to get a snide response from you.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#966 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 am

Slim Tubby wrote:

I wanted Wiseman. I made that opinion very clear before the draft many times. I was wrong. Ant is special at 19 and still has a lot to learn. The derogatory, non-constructive criticism of him by a few posters on here is not only laughably insane but also incredibly obtuse and ignorant of what we should be expecting from a 19 year old that is only 30+ games into his NBA career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wanted Wiseman and I also have changed my mind. :o
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#967 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:36 am

_AIJ_ wrote:
shrink wrote:With LaMelo out the rest of the season, favorite for ROY has to be Ant.

Correct. But you would really hate social media after he wins it. IF he wins it.

I think LaMelo is still the favorite. He's more of a media darling than Ant. Time will tell.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#968 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Great point. Shots outside the paint and inside the 3 point line are not going to completely disappear. They should be taken judiciously and in a game where Ant took 31 shots 4 of them being from the in-between range seems judicious.

I expect them to last resort rather than a desired outcome. I just don’t get why you guys don’t seem to care that he only shot 5-17 from outside the paint. Look at his season averages and the numbers are clear. The jump shot is not his forte. Why you encourage a player who sucks at jump shooting (yes he sucks at jump shooting,) to keep doing it (often without passing or even trying to find a better shot,) is beyond me. Is it just because this is the Wolves and your happy for any degree of competency? You just seem to hold Ant to a different standard than anyone else in the team. Part of that is the rookie of it all, but at the same time it’s even more important for the rookies to make good decisions. If they learn to play the wrong way then it is that much harder to adjust to the right way. Ant taking a lot of jump shots is the wrong way.

Who's encouraging Ant to take bad shots? I haven't seen anybody encouraging him to take bad shots.

Go back through the thread right after the 42 point game.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,550

Post#969 » by shrink » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
_AIJ_ wrote:
shrink wrote:With LaMelo out the rest of the season, favorite for ROY has to be Ant.

Correct. But you would really hate social media after he wins it. IF he wins it.

I think LaMelo is still the favorite. He's more of a media darling than Ant. Time will tell.

We saw Brogdan and Saric beat Embiid, but you’re right. Time will tell.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#970 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Do we have to be, officially or not, just to post here according to you? I'm not sure the reason behind the question. Maybe it's just late and I shouldn't be reading still.

Jedzz no we don't have to be. I was asking a question. The reason behind the question was to get an answer to the question. I was truly curious about if we were no happy with the choice. I didn't ask it to get a snide response from you.

Snide? I'm no english major obviously. But your post could be taken different ways. I also suggested I might not be reading it correctly...did you miss that? Bark bark bark. I just don't approve of group think pressure so when you bring up official group thoughts and allcap the word I wanted to at least get to the bottom of that. I couldn't tell if you were just asking a question or if the all cap official word meant something more such as only Ant approval letters should be posted here.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#971 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:34 pm

In a redraft you take LaMelo 100 times out of 100. Geeez how is that even a question. Only on this board i see
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#972 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 pm

winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I read them all. I didn't see one person say Ant should take bad shots. Maybe I missed it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#973 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:21 pm

Jedzz wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Jedzz no we don't have to be. I was asking a question. The reason behind the question was to get an answer to the question. I was truly curious about if we were no happy with the choice. I didn't ask it to get a snide response from you.

Snide? I'm no english major obviously. But your post could be taken different ways. I also suggested I might not be reading it correctly...did you miss that? Bark bark bark. I just don't approve of group think pressure so when you bring up official group thoughts and allcap the word I wanted to at least get to the bottom of that. I couldn't tell if you were just asking a question or if the all cap official word meant something more such as only Ant approval letters should be posted here.

The reason for the all caps was to emphasize that this thread is claiming to be official so it should be the place where we officially declare our feelings about using the #1 pick on him. The jury is still certainly out on whether that was the right move or not.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#974 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:In a redraft you take LaMelo 100 times out of 100. Geeez how is that even a question. Only on this board i see

Only in your mind. It is far from obvious.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,190

Post#975 » by Neeva » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:In a redraft you take LaMelo 100 times out of 100. Geeez how is that even a question. Only on this board i see

Lamelo is injury prone. This is his second straight pro season cut short. If it happens again next season i’ll just call him made of glass.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,308

Post#976 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm still unsure about Edwards. I'd take Ball if it was a redraft, he's just ahead of Edwards right now. Wiseman, I don't know. Edwards has huge boom potential but he's very far away IQ wise, if he figures it out then I think he has a higher ceiling to affect winning than any of these other guys but that's a big if.

I can understand why Rosas made the pick, it's a gamble but if it pays off you have the most important piece you need for a modern NBA team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#977 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:35 pm

Calinks wrote:I'm still unsure about Edwards. I'd take Ball if it was a redraft, he's just ahead of Edwards right now. Wiseman, I don't know. Edwards has huge boom potential but he's very far away IQ wise, if he figures it out then I think he has a higher ceiling to affect winning than any of these other guys but that's a big if.

I can understand why Rosas made the pick, it's a gamble but if it pays off you have the most important piece you need for a modern NBA team.

I liked your quick breakdown of the three most everyone seems to feel were the only 3 to pick from. Seems mostly right from what I've seen. I of course never felt it had to be one of those three.

I don't agree with your last statement about being the most important piece for a modern NBA team. That's all in people's imaginations for him stil. That's not actually who we are seeing, nor who he was showing to be in college either. He's a James Harden wannabe and I'm not sure how anyone can see it otherwise. That's who he desires to play like so that's closer to reality than anything. Now most of us see he also has that burst for net driving and above rim finishing that could round him out better. But it feels like pulling teeth to get him to do it enough. He would rather star at shooting and doesn't seem to care if it drops to 20% or less. Then there is the defense issue and I think that is compounded by a gameIQ issue. I would argue the Most important piece has to start with GameIQ and Two way play or otherwise we are talking about a project athlete again. I get that no one wants to admit that, and sure the flashes leave open the possibility of a really high ceiling. But no modern NBA team is going to be led by inconsistency and lack of knowing the game inside out. He can throw his self around on defense like an Okogie with more effort, but that won't change that he doesn't really know body position skills to actually be effective.

We are talking years whether anyone wants to admit that or not. People talking like he's the second most important thing to Kat already just make me sigh. This is Wiggins treatment all over again and I can't believe we have to go through this again. Finch needing to leak to the media how he is handling him may be different and seem better than what we saw with Wiggins handling, but that doesn't really mean it's being handled any different. It's just shaming him and taking heat off the coach. Hey maybe it works, but I would think it just shows the severity of the issues at hand. How can a possible most important piece need to be father paddled in the media?
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#978 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Who's encouraging Ant to take bad shots? I haven't seen anybody encouraging him to take bad shots.

I read them all. I didn't see one person say Ant should take bad shots. Maybe I missed it.

I was gonna write something about his numbers and shot selection, but I changed my mind. You praise him for the points but ignore the efficiency. You praise him for his attitude but ignore the defense and the fact that he often appears happy when things are going wrong. People here praise him for his shot form but he is terrible jump shooter by the numbers. I see a ton of potential in Ant, but he will only unlock it by doing the right things. You tell me, has he looked good the last two games?
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#979 » by Baseline81 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 pm

winforlose wrote:I was gonna write something about his numbers and shot selection, but I changed my mind. You praise him for the points but ignore the efficiency. You praise him for his attitude but ignore the defense and the fact that he often appears happy when things are going wrong. People here praise him for his shot form but he is terrible jump shooter by the numbers. I see a ton of potential in Ant, but he will only unlock it by doing the right things. You tell me, has he looked good the last two games?

No, and he's rightfully been criticized for it on several forums.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#980 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:49 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Only in your mind. It is far from obvious.

Yeah right, in my own mind :crazy:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves