Wright Traded to Sacramento

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Re: Wright Traded to Sacramento 

Post#41 » by flow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 am

A couple thoughts:

1. The Lakers 2nd will be low, but probably not as low as people are presuming. They're currently 7th in league, and descending. With no Lebron for another month.5, they're going to lose plenty more games.

2. As someone else mentioned, Joseph is a Casey guy and will most suredly get maddening minutes at the expense of, probably Saben Lee, who will start to wonder why he should re-sign here next season. He's shown enough glimpses to the league that he's on other teams' radars.

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#42 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:39 am

tradez401 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Negative much?

If there was a better offer don't you think Weaver takes that instead?

IF CoJo is as bad as those Kings fans say he won't play much if at all and if he does we'll be worse because of him

Extra picks, more cap flexibility this off-season also attained in this trade.

For those that wanted Wright gone this is a win

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

I like Weaver for the most part but he has done some head scratching stuff so far as GM so who knows what the other teams interested in Delon had offered.

Yeah, here's the thing...you not knowing what other teams offered does not equate to there being a better deal out there. An evaluation of "This doesn't seem like a very good deal because I think the Pistons could have gotten more for Wright" has no basis in logic or reality. With exactly zero knowledge of what's happening in talks between the Pistons and other teams there is no logical way to evaluate whether or not this was a good trade relative to other options. You basically have two choices here--"I like it" or "I don't like it."
Manocad
RealGM

Post#43 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 am

dVs33 wrote:I’m fine with the return, but I thought we would have gotten more. I think a lot of playoff teams could have used him.

I think you meant to say that you hoped the Pistons would have gotten more for him.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#44 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:44 am

zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:No surprise that I find this deal laughable for us. Cojo is a bad player on a bad contract. The Lakers 2nd has 0 value, the Sacramento 2nd is a distant one and we donated better 2nds than that for nothing. What a nightmare. I expect more terrible deals to happen for us this deadline.

BTW now we lost wood for Stewart, a bad contract in Cojo, the lakers 2nd and a distant 2nd............
Even when the team gets some precious 2nd's your upset.

Are you ever happy Smeagol?

Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Show me where I am wrong.

Is CoJo a good player? Show me with data to backup that.

Does he have a good contract?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#45 » by Kilo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:47 am

I like it. Joseph is basically an expiring contract only owed 2.4M next season.

I definitely thought Delon would be worth more though, but with Lowry and Hill on the market he was at best Plan C for anybody and waiting until 3pm and hoping somebody called you late wasn't worth it.

What are the odds Joseph is just bought out tomorrow and never plays a game for the Pistons? Detroit might try to flip him today - when they were linked to Oladipo, Gordon etc they didn't have big expiring contracts - now they quasi do. Joseph makes 12.6M so could be traded for a 16M player.

Weaver could be after a player making 16M on a multiyear deal that could be had for an expiring, or expiring + Sekou and/or Toronto SRP.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#46 » by chrbal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 am

vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:No surprise that I find this deal laughable for us. Cojo is a bad player on a bad contract. The Lakers 2nd has 0 value, the Sacramento 2nd is a distant one and we donated better 2nds than that for nothing. What a nightmare. I expect more terrible deals to happen for us this deadline.

BTW now we lost wood for Stewart, a bad contract in Cojo, the lakers 2nd and a distant 2nd............

Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?

Cojo is a very mediocre backup point guard who only has something like $2.5 million guaranteed next season.

He played two seasons in Toronto for Casey but was traded for basically air when he was in his mid 20s

This feels like he might not be here all day with the low guarantee next season.
Even if he isn’t traded, this trade is more likely going to piss off the people who hate that we have dead money.

This trade is more about getting the younger players money, Joseph stays this season he’s looking at random roles like McGruder.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#47 » by thesack12 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am

I really, really like this trade for 3 reasons.

1) It clears the path to minutes for Saben and Killian. (BTW I was at the game last night, and Killian not only traveled with the team but was also intensely going through the pregame shootaround. He appears to be pretty close to returning.)

2) Not only could it clear $6 mil in cap space if they just simply decline to guarantee Joseph's contract next season, but his contract could also be a pretty sweet trade chip early this offseason, namely on draft night. Joseph's contract represents a quick way for a team to create an easy $10 mil in cap space by sending Detroit another contract + an asset, then the new teams would just void Joseph's contract and pickup the $10 mil in cap space. With McGruder's deal being structured the same, Detroit could offer someone $15 mil in instant cap space if they are packaged together

3) I would have done this trade w/o getting the 2nds in return, so Weaver actually acquiring instead of sending them is a big bonus, cherry on top of the sundae.

Delon Wright's value was never in 1st rounder territory. He's a career low level combo guard role player, that never has and never will move a team's needle. I would have happily moved him for solely an expiring contract simply because of #1's reasoning. Weaver really squeezed some good value out of Delon here.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#48 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:56 am

You forgot the first pick that we owe Houston. As much as I like Stewart, it’s not a win for us.
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#49 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:59 am

thesack12 wrote:I really, really like this trade for 3 reasons.

1) It clears the path to minutes for Saben and Killian. (BTW I was at the game last night, and Killian not only traveled with the team but was also intensely going through the pregame shootaround. He appears to be pretty close to returning.)

2) Not only could it clear $6 mil in cap space if they just simply decline to guarantee Joseph's contract next season, but his contract could also be a pretty sweet trade chip early this offseason, namely on draft night. Joseph's contract represents a quick way for a team to create an easy $10 mil in cap space by sending Detroit another contract + an asset, then the new teams would just void Joseph's contract and pickup the $10 mil in cap space. With McGruder's deal being structured the same, Detroit could offer someone $15 mil in instant cap space if they are packaged together

3) I would have done this trade w/o getting the 2nds in return, so Weaver actually acquiring instead of sending them is a big bonus, cherry on top of the sundae.

Delon Wright's value was never in 1st rounder territory. He's a career low level combo guard role player, that never has and never will move a team's needle. I would have happily moved him for an expiring contract simply because of #1's reasoning. Weaver really squeezed a lot value out of Delon here.

I dont really agree with the idea of McGruder and CuJo being flipped. What the Pistons gain by making such a deal? Who would be the target? I don’t see any value play out there. Oladipo makes no sense and Gordon would cost a first rounder. I’m struggling to see this deal as a short term play (out of Wright’s deal for next year) than a long term play (a second trade on the horizon).
DetroitDon15
General Manager

Post#50 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:01 pm

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Even when the team gets some precious 2nd's your upset.

Cojo is a very mediocre backup point guard who only has something like $2.5 million guaranteed next season.

He played two seasons in Toronto for Casey but was traded for basically air when he was in his mid 20s

This feels like he might not be here all day with the low guarantee next season.
Even if he isn’t traded, this trade is more likely going to piss off the people who hate that we have dead money.

This trade is more about getting the younger players money, Joseph stays this season he’s looking at random roles like McGruder.

I could see a buy out worked for CuJo. If Weaver can get him to leave next years quarantine ( I think that it’s 2 mill). I’ll see it as a plus. I view this deal as a pure salary dump without getting value back. I’d prefer a younger player to take a risk on. Have three seconds this makes no sense. I see this Lakers pick being flipped or sold at the draft.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#51 » by chrbal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:15 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:

I could see a buy out worked for CuJo. If Weaver can get him to leave next years quarantine ( I think that it’s 2 mill). I’ll see it as a plus. I view this deal as a pure salary dump without getting value back. I’d prefer a younger player to take a risk on. Have three seconds this makes no sense. I see this Lakers pick being flipped or sold at the draft.

I don’t think we’re planning on keeping all the picks. It’s also odd that this move would get done and leaked So Insanely Early on the day of the deadline.

With as active as weaver was in the offseason, I don’t think Joseph lasts the day here.

To put in a conspiracy, pelicans want to unload Bledsoe. Right mix of picks and Eric only being guaranteed like $4 million in 22-23. Joseph small guarantee next season, McGruder no guaranteed money next season.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised
thesack12
RealGM

Post#52 » by thesack12 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:22 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I really, really like this trade for 3 reasons.

Delon Wright's value was never in 1st rounder territory. He's a career low level combo guard role player, that never has and never will move a team's needle. I would have happily moved him for an expiring contract simply because of #1's reasoning. Weaver really squeezed a lot value out of Delon here.

I dont really agree with the idea of McGruder and CuJo being flipped. What the Pistons gain by making such a deal? Who would be the target? I don’t see any value play out there. Oladipo makes no sense and Gordon would cost a first rounder. I’m struggling to see this deal as a short term play (out of Wright’s deal for next year) than a long term play (a second trade on the horizon).

There shouldn't be a specific target. The play to be made there is package Joseph/McGruder and send them to the highest bidder of teams looking for instant cap space. Whomever offers the best draft pick or young prospect + whatever $17 mil ish contract they want to unload, is the target.

Even if that doesn't happen, simply voiding Joseph's contract thius summer is still a win. As I mentioned not having Delon around opens up minutes for Saben and a probable soon to be returning Hayes. Obvious potential long term benefits with that strategy. It also makes the team slightly worse in the short term, which improves draft positioning which eso facto makes it a long term vision as well. Delon Wright is not a great player, but moves like this at this point in the season is a lowkey solid tank move.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#53 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:29 pm

chrbal wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

I don’t think we’re planning on keeping all the picks. It’s also odd that this move would get done and leaked So Insanely Early on the day of the deadline.

With as active as weaver was in the offseason, I don’t think Joseph lasts the day here.

To put in a conspiracy, pelicans want to unload Bledsoe. Right mix of picks and Eric only being guaranteed like $4 million in 22-23.

I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised

Just curious...why do you refer to it as being "leaked"?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#54 » by thesack12 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:32 pm

vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

I often agree with you, but don't happen to with this particular move.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#55 » by kpt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:34 pm

The fact is we don’t know the name endgame of this trade and won’t til at least the draft. Weaver now owns 3 SRPs this year. What is the probability of him keeping all three? I would say closer to 0 than 100. This gives him more toys to play with and more cap flexibility. Good and good. #itisnoteasygettingafrp
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#56 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:44 pm

thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Even when the team gets some precious 2nd's your upset.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#57 » by El Chivo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:54 pm

vege wrote:so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright.

you can't play the victim role if you insist with false statements like this one.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#58 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:01 pm

vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)

I think it's your refusal to acknowledge that Weaver has done a single positive thing that gets people taking shots at you. Whether you think every move Weaver has made is good or not, a lot of people see the Pistons as now moving in the right direction while you describe everything Weaver does as a failure in some way.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#59 » by Sort » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Really, who knows what Weaver will do today? My only grumble with this deal is why make it last night? There may not be much time left for when the Lowry and Hill chips fall, but he could have waited to use the pressure of a last moment deal.

In terms of evaluating, I'll hedge until the actual trade deadline anyway.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,981

Post#60 » by BDM22 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:08 pm

vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:

The Pistons are a couple years away from wanting to acquire more veteran talent like the Morris/Tobias trades. Those SVG deals to keep this team floating around the end of the lottery are exactly why this team has sucked for more than a decade.

Be thankful that Weaver is signing guys to contracts that teams actually want and not blowing it all on Leuer-esque deals.

Return to Detroit Pistons