chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: Wright Traded to Sacramento 

Post#61 » by chrbal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:10 pm

vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Show me where I am wrong.

Is CoJo a good player? Show me with data to backup that.

Does he have a good contract?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?

I often agree with you, but don't happen to with this particular move.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)

I don’t think Joseph is here to stay. Even if he is, this trade is more about clearing a path for the younger players.

If they made this trade to get Cory the player and not Cory the contract this is odd and bad.

This is more about getting a little bit worse short term.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,222

Post#62 » by thesack12 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:10 pm

vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Show me where I am wrong.

Is CoJo a good player? Show me with data to backup that.

Does he have a good contract?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?

I often agree with you, but don't happen to with this particular move.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)

I'm 100% with you in a lot of people these days aren't capable of or are unwilling of constructing compelling/productive discussion around disagreements on topics. They resort to ridicule, condescending based responses, or my favorite throwing out allegations of "whining." I don't know why, but I guess some people are just allergic to accepting differing opinions....

Moving on, Being able to simply buy 2nd rounders with only cash is becoming increasingly rarer. I actually just checked into it, and there wasn't a single 2nd bought during last year's draft for solely cash. Cash considerations were involved in multiple trades, but they all included a future pick, or in the Pistons case, raw cap space to absorb Bradley's contract.

As for the value of LAL's 2nd. While it won't improve a ton, it is currently looking up with Lebron being out a month + with his bum ankle and AD still uncertain of a return. While whatever slot is winds up is unlikely to yield an impact player, I would rather have that chance of the lottery ticket than not. Also, there is nothing saying that it can't be traded either. Whether that be as part of a package to move up the board, or traded out for a future pick. Long story short, while its not highly valuable it holds more than 0 value.

Even if we want to consider Joseph dead money, I'm personally fine with having that short term dead money. Cap space is all but irrelevant for the rest of this season, and having Joseph instead Wright this summer actually can create about $6 mil in cap space. I actually don't think that is the best course of action. As I mentioned in previous posts, I believe Joseph's unguaranteed contract can be a nice trade chip.

As for having DSJ and Hayes run the team, I am 100% fine with that. Its obviously in the team's best interest to get Killian on the floor and see what they actually have in him. I've never seen a scenario in the NBA where a player's development was better off by not playing. Same goes for Saben Lee. As for Smith sucking it up, yessss please. I'll take that all day, every day. Detroit is currently locked into a heavily contested dogfight to finish the bottom 3. I'm all for pretty much anything that helps result in Detroit getting their first top 5 draft pick in 18 years. If a primary concern is 1/2 a season of Bey and Stewart getting slightly less quality shots than what the mighty Delon Wright can provide them, I'd say the that juice is more than worth the squeeze in that scenario.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,072

Post#63 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:15 pm

Meh. I would have much preferred the 2021 2nd to be Sacramento's but whatever, it's fine. I never expected a 1st for Wright even though I had some faint hope.

The most important aspect of this is giving minutes to the young guys and in that respect, it's a good trade. This is a development season, it should all be about development.

Now try to get a 2nd for Ellington and/or McGruder.
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#64 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 pm

vege wrote:No surprise that I find this deal laughable for us. Cojo is a bad player on a bad contract. The Lakers 2nd has 0 value, the Sacramento 2nd is a distant one and we donated better 2nds than that for nothing. What a nightmare. I expect more terrible deals to happen for us this deadline.

BTW now we lost wood for Stewart, a bad contract in Cojo, the lakers 2nd and a distant 2nd............

The guy who always complains about giving up future 2nds complains about getting a future 2nd and the Joseph contract isn't even that bad, he's owed pretty much nothing next season and they actually cleared cap space with this move.

I wouldn't call it a "good" trade but you with the hyperbolic "terrible trade, terrible signing" for every move Weaver makes is the reason why people get on your case. Maybe if you were objective once in a while instead of trashing everything the guy does most of the time for no good reason, people would take you more seriously.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#65 » by El Chivo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:35 pm

Vege in the GB wrote that we've been robbed in Delon Wright "who's meh at best" trade last summer.

Now he complains because we gave him away for cap relief and 2 second round picks.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#66 » by MotownMadness » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:52 pm

I can remember actually wanting this guy a long time ago. Must of been in his SAS days or something lol
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#67 » by mattao313 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:55 pm

Decent imo nothing spectacular tho
Championships
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,366

Post#68 » by Billl » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:06 pm

After years of the franchise doing stupid things, it's nice to see them make rational trades. Wright had 0 value to start the season. He outperformed and we flipped him for a couple seconds. Big return? No. But we snagged a couple minor assets for someone who wasn't in our long term plans.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#69 » by Piston Pete » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:16 pm

Not gonna comment until after the deadline passes.

Like Chrbal pointed out, Jospeh may not be here in 24 hours....

Just gonna wait and see what moves Weaver makes today.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#70 » by Han Solo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:21 pm

We can cut CoJo for 2.4 million next year. So we can actually have some room to spend more than the mid level exception with the cap.

Guess that’s getting lost in all of this by some of you. Also grabbing a few seconds. Anyone bashing this trade looks dumb.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#71 » by DetroitSho » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:24 pm

El Chivo wrote:Vege in the GB wrote that we've been robbed in Delon Wright "who's meh at best" trade last summer.

Now he complains because we gave him away for cap relief and 2 second round picks.
At this point this hate goes beyond basketball. I don't know what it is, but you can't hate Weaver at this point in his tenure this much based on just his basketball moves. There's no way.

I have no idea what it is but my eyebrow is definitely raised to his bs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#72 » by 440BB » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:33 pm

No doubt the Lowry situation affected the Wright options. Waiting for Lowry to be traded and hoping to find a trade partner for Wright, potentially at the last minute, could easily leave the Pistons with Wright on the roster tomorrow. It definitely helps keep the Pistons near the bottom during this tanking season.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#73 » by Sort » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:39 pm

Wait, someone on a message board playing the contrarian?

I want to see Lowry moved today to a contender. I want one more run for him. He should age okay as well. I'd also love to Aaron Gordon in Boston - I admit this is just rubbernecking an accident, but really, I think that will mostly be a spectacular fail, and if it isn't, that will be wonderful entertainment as well.

Pistons? Small moves only please. You can't bet on having Cade or Snuggs until you actually do. Then you can do another round of high risk moves.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#74 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:41 pm

If you didn't consider Wright to be part of the Pistons' long term plans I don't see how trading him for two second round picks, cap space, and fewer wins is a bad thing. In that regard, this is another move in the right direction. Maybe some people think it didn't move the needle far enough--fine. But it's still a move in the right direction and that's a good thing.
NYPiston
Analyst

Post#75 » by NYPiston » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:47 pm

Manocad wrote:If you didn't consider Wright to be part of the Pistons' long term plans I don't see how trading him for two second round picks, cap space, and fewer wins is a bad thing. In that regard, this is another move in the right direction. Maybe some people think it didn't move the needle far enough--fine. But it's still a move in the right direction and that's a good thing.

Not to mention, creating playing time for the young guys assuming that Joseph doesn't take Wright's minutes. Hating on this trade is just hating for the sake of hating.

As somebody in this thread put it, when the Pistons acquired Wright he had no value. Well, they turned that into two future assets (even if they're minor) and cap space for next season. That's the whole point of a rebuild to turn players who don't have a future here into futures while gaining more cap flexibility. This trade, as minor as it is, reaches that objective.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#76 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Admittedly, I'm not a salary cap/contract/stats guy. I care about results. The Pistons now have some guys in Grant, Bey, Stewart, Lee, JJ and hopefully Hayes that I doubt anyone would have a lot of problem with sticking around as a core of players to add to. Hell, even Plumlee for that matter if you consider the Pistons' rebuilding plan to be delivering results in the next couple of years; it's not like at age 31 he looks like he's got one foot in the grave. That being said, if you build a race car that starts winning races in a couple of years and you spent $100,000 to build it when you could have spent $80,000 and maybe used a different fuel injection or exhaust system, does it really matter if you're winning races when it wasn't your money spent? Don't the ends ultimately justify the means?

Or maybe not. I expect that if the Pistons win the championship in 2024 there will still be people saying "Would have happened in 2023 if if if if..."
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,253

Post#77 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:57 pm

Manocad wrote:I think it's your refusal to acknowledge that Weaver has done a single positive thing

That's not true. You can use the search if you want, but just to give you one quick example, I did not like when we signed Plumlee, like 99% of people around here, but I said I was wrong and Weaver was right, Plumlee is on a good contract, he's been much better than I expected. I wanted us to sign Nerlens Noel instead of Plumlee, and I was wrong. There are several other things I posted along the same line.

And more than that, I liked moves he did that I don't like anymore. I wanted us to sign Jahlil Okafor, I even posted it before the Free Agency started, Weaver signed the guy, and it was a mistake.

Anyways, the boards have rules, I was told several times in the past, to address the post, not the poster, and the haters NEVER contest what I say. Whenever I dislike a move Weaver makes, I explain clearly why I did not like it. People are free to disagree with me, this would be extremely boring if everyone agrees about everything.

I mean, come on, zeebneeb made a very dumb post, adding absolutely nothing to the discussion, and he broke the boards rules in the process.

On the other hand thesack12 disagreed with me and disagreed on how I see the trade, he posted facts to explain why he disagree with what I am saying.

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge.

We disagreed in the past, for example about Mo Bamba IIRC, you explained your point of view with respect, without attack me (the poster) you explained why you disagreed with my post, and that's great. I still think we could use Mo Bamba, I bet you still don't think we could use him, and that's fine.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#78 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 pm

The 2024 second is a while from now but Kings might be bottomed out again by then and like the NYK getting the Pistons 2nd this year, it could be pretty good. The 2021 second is very late. A pick in the mid 50s cant help a team move up in this draft.

I think Wright is worth more than what we got back, but there is an enormous logjam at PG. On the right team, playing big minutes until he is an expiring, he is worth much more.

Season started with Hayes, Wright, Derrick Rose, Saben Lee and Frank Jackson PG/SG. Then Derrick was traded for DSjr, another PG that needs playing time. He was half the asset back from that trade. Do the Pistons give him a contract?

Its kind of the same thing Weaver did at SG.

Wright was a good pickup overall, but the wrong pick up for the Pistons with Hayes, Saben Lee and Derrick Rose. So he needed to be traded for basically anything.

Pistons won some games they wouldn't have won if Saben Lee was playing instead. That's a bad thing too.

In isolation a lot of moves Weaver did are pretty good - but not right for this team and there are too many of them.

Move is pretty blah. Casey please dont play Corey Joseph big minutes like Brandon Knight.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#79 » by Manocad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:06 pm

vege wrote:
Manocad wrote:I think it's your refusal to acknowledge that Weaver has done a single positive thing

That's not true. You can use the search if you want, but just to give you one quick example, I did not like when we signed Plumlee, like 99% of people around here, but I said I was wrong and Weaver was right, Plumlee is on a good contract, he's been much better than I expected. I wanted us to sign Nerlens Noel instead of Plumlee, and I was wrong. There are several other things I posted along the same line.

And more than that, I liked moves he did that I don't like anymore. I wanted us to sign Jahlil Okafor, I even posted it before the Free Agency started, Weaver signed the guy, and it was a mistake.

Anyways, the boards have rules, I was told several times in the past, to address the post, not the poster, and the haters NEVER contest what I say. Whenever I dislike a move Weaver makes, I explain clearly why I did not like it. People are free to disagree with me, this would be extremely boring if everyone agrees about everything.

I mean, come on, zeebneeb made a very dumb post, adding absolutely nothing to the discussion, and he broke the boards rules in the process.

On the other hand thesack12 disagreed with me and disagreed on how I see the trade, he posted facts to explain why he disagree with what I am saying.

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge.

We disagreed in the past, for example about Mo Bamba IIRC, you explained your point of view with respect, without attack me (the poster) you explained why you disagreed with my post, and that's great. I still think we could use Mo Bamba, I bet you still don't think we could use him, and that's fine.

I don't know a thing about Mo Bamba so it definitely wasn't him we disagreed about. There certainly could have been something because I'm not exactly a non-argumentative/non-confrontational online forum member. :D

But yes, certainly people should be addressing the post and not the poster but we're all human; there's going to be some spillage there.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#80 » by chrbal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:09 pm

vege wrote:

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge .

Not to make fun, hopefully I’m not on the list, but this is where my head went.

I think some people are weirdly aggressive towards you even though we’re on a message board that’s going to have different opinions.

I appreciate, but don’t completely agree with your mindset/opinions. And that’s fine, hence the message board thing.

Return to Detroit Pistons