ImageImageImage

Wright Traded to Sacramento

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Wright Traded to Sacramento 

Post#81 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:11 pm

Wright isn’t a bad player but he only looks like a good player relative to the product we put on the floor. He was never worth a first
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#82 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Manocad wrote:
vege wrote:
Manocad wrote:I think it's your refusal to acknowledge that Weaver has done a single positive thing

That's not true. You can use the search if you want, but just to give you one quick example, I did not like when we signed Plumlee, like 99% of people around here, but I said I was wrong and Weaver was right, Plumlee is on a good contract, he's been much better than I expected. I wanted us to sign Nerlens Noel instead of Plumlee, and I was wrong. There are several other things I posted along the same line.

And more than that, I liked moves he did that I don't like anymore. I wanted us to sign Jahlil Okafor, I even posted it before the Free Agency started, Weaver signed the guy, and it was a mistake.

Anyways, the boards have rules, I was told several times in the past, to address the post, not the poster, and the haters NEVER contest what I say. Whenever I dislike a move Weaver makes, I explain clearly why I did not like it. People are free to disagree with me, this would be extremely boring if everyone agrees about everything.

I mean, come on, zeebneeb made a very dumb post, adding absolutely nothing to the discussion, and he broke the boards rules in the process.

On the other hand thesack12 disagreed with me and disagreed on how I see the trade, he posted facts to explain why he disagree with what I am saying.

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge.

We disagreed in the past, for example about Mo Bamba IIRC, you explained your point of view with respect, without attack me (the poster) you explained why you disagreed with my post, and that's great. I still think we could use Mo Bamba, I bet you still don't think we could use him, and that's fine.

I don't know a thing about Mo Bamba so it definitely wasn't him we disagreed about. There certainly could have been something because I'm not exactly a non-argumentative/non-confrontational online forum member. :D

But yes, certainly people should be addressing the post and not the poster but we're all human; there's going to be some spillage there.

Oh true, it was BadMofoPimp. I have no problems with arguments, anyways you got my point already.
vege
RealGM

Post#83 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:25 pm

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
Manocad wrote:I think it's your refusal to acknowledge that Weaver has done a single positive thing

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge .

Not to make fun, hopefully I’m not on the list, but this is where my head went.

I think some people are weirdly aggressive towards you even though we’re on a message board that’s going to have different opinions.

I appreciate, but don’t completely agree with your mindset/opinions. And that’s fine, hence the message board thing.

Of course you're not on my foe list, you never disrespected me, even tho, like you said, we don't agree about a lot of things, inclusing this trade, which is fine. And it's ok to make fun, that wasn't disrespectful, you made me laugh.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#84 » by DCintheD » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:31 pm

Is it the Lakers’ 2021 or 2024 2nd? I’m seeing different things
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
vege
RealGM

Post#85 » by vege » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Lakers 2021, Sacramento 2024
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#86 » by chrbal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:34 pm

vege wrote:
chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:

There are guys who deserve respect, and make this boards better, and there are guys that don't. My foe list is huge .

I think some people are weirdly aggressive towards you even though we’re on a message board that’s going to have different opinions.

I appreciate, but don’t completely agree with your mindset/opinions. And that’s fine, hence the message board thing.

Of course you're not on my foe list, you never disrespected me, even tho, like you said, we don't agree about a lot of things, inclusing this trade, which is fine. And it's ok to make fun, that wasn't disrespectful, you made me laugh.

Mildly was kind of hoping that I would have never learned the truth.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#87 » by DBC10 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Wright isn’t a bad player but he only looks like a good player relative to the product we put on the floor. He was never worth a first

Pretty much this. He was never going to snatch a late first from a contender because majority of them can't and don't have 1sts to trade. And bad teams are never parting with their 1st for someone like Wright

I think this is probably the best deal out there and this is a good trade. I'm more excited we free up minutes for guys with our guard logjam we had earlier. Still logjamish but it's better now
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,675

Post#88 » by Invictus88 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:04 pm

So over the past two offseasons I've valued our assets higher than what we ended up getting back: (Rose - 1st rounder; Kieff - 2nd, Kennard alone - 1st, Wright - high 2nd). I've been meh on a lot of the returns as they've been on the low end of what I deemed acceptable.

I have 2 choices going forward:
1. Continue to be mildly disappointed as this trend continues as I expect it to based on data.
2. Reevaluate and possibly recalibrate my expectations.

I choose the latter.

It was fun watching him play but I'm not going to ever fault Weaver for gaining draft capital.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#89 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:18 pm

I'd like to see Weaver trade 2/3 of our 2021 second rounders for future picks to balance things out. After this season we're severely lacking second round picks for like 5 years.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#90 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:46 pm

BDM22 wrote:
vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
I often agree with you, but don't happen to with this particular move.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)

The Pistons are a couple years away from wanting to acquire more veteran talent like the Morris/Tobias trades. Those SVG deals to keep this team floating around the end of the lottery are exactly why this team has sucked for more than a decade.

Be thankful that Weaver is signing guys to contracts that teams actually want and not blowing it all on Leuer-esque deals.

We still traded Leuer for a pick but we went full SVG by design for seconds. I’m not sure what to expect.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#91 » by Drwho17 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 pm

Well, this is a nice move, low key easy move. Get's Delon out of the rotation, probably lose a few more games, gets time for the other PG's, saves cap money next year, and picks up a couple of picks. Not sure I see any downside on this move, hopefully the clock runs out before we do something stuipd.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#92 » by whitehops » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:30 pm

one of the good things about the lakers' 2021 second rounder is that it won't end up being THAT late a pick. the lakers are 0-3 since lebron's injury and i expect they'll continue to freefall until he gets back which should be right before playoffs start.

i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a top 50 pick which still isn't much but better than a pick in the 55-60 range.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#93 » by kalenclayton » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:05 pm

Hey all.
Kings fan here. I’ve seen that a lot of people are arguing about Cory Joseph and if he’s a bad contract/player. If you look to the T&T board, the Sacramento Kings board, or Twitter, you will probably come to the conclusion that Cory Joseph is the worst player imaginable. People hate him. If you watch a game after reading those comments, you will probably stare at his faults and just say “yeah, he’s terrible!” However, what isn’t talked about enough is his role.

Let me set this straight: Cory has been given way too much responsibility on a team that doesn’t complement him. His role has been backup lead combo guard on a team that can’t figure out if you are supposed to rotate to a different defender or take a nap. He is the scapegoat. Why? Because he’s a vet who was paid too much money by an inept GM.

What is he? He’s an NBA player. There, I said it. He’s not terrible. He does some things that are infuriating, but they are things you can mask. He overdribbles, makes some miscalculated gambles for steals, and drives into traffic with nowhere to go. Well, why did he do those things? Part of the problem is on him. He makes mental errors. He’s not perfect. The other parts are on his surrounding cast and his poor coach. As a King, he was forced to be a primary ball handler surrounded by average to below average shooters who like to stand and watch. He would run the ball up the floor with his teammates, just to find that his mates have their feet in cement. Then he would be forced to do something because his defender would pressure him. His coach put him in that position and his mates didn’t help him out.

What does he do well?

- He can be a good on-ball defender if he has someone to funnel to. The Kings have not been that team. There hasn’t been a rim protector in town for quite some time, although Whiteside can do this when he feels like it.
- He can be a good off ball defender when he has a cast that understands where they need to be. The Kings have not been that team, so he’s looked terrible in this area. We’ve seen him do well in this area on other teams. He has good instincts of when to show, help, and he normally moves to the right location between the ball and his assignment.
- Ball control/security. He’s not flashy at all, but he is reliable with the ball. Like I said before, he was given way too much responsibility on the Kings and he was forced into a lead guard role. He can be depended on to bring the ball up, but his playmaking will be an issue if you rely on him like the Kings did.
- Hustle!
- Lastly, leadership. Teammates and coaching staffs really, really like CoJo. He’s a smart guy and seems to be a good mentor. He’s also a good interviewer and you get the sense that he’s a genuine person.

What do I see him bringing to the Pistons?

I’ll be honest here and say that I’m not too familiar with what the Pistons lack, but CoJo will bring a mentorship that I believe Killian Hayes needs. I believe Hayes is going to be a really, really good player in the future. I expected him to have issues translating to the NBA and I think CoJo can really help him there (so long as he doesn’t get cut immediately). The issue with bringing CoJo on is that Coach Casey is familiar with him and will probably play him more than fans would like. This may result in resentment, but hopefully it doesn’t.

Hopefully this helps someone. I know there will probably be plenty who disagree with me, but I’m being honest with y’all in what I see in the guy. He’s still an NBA player and he has faults. Hopefully those faults can be masked by a coach who understands his personnel. I think Detroit has a better chance at that than Sacramento.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#94 » by Sort » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:40 pm

Good CoJo run down. When I heard this deal, I was surprised by how old he was - I remember his early days in Toronto and SA, but times goes by. Honestly, Pistons didn't trade for him to play. I wouldn't be surprised if Pistons buy him out or give him a cozy seat at the end of the bench. They have their experienced two guard and a bunch of young guards to evaluate/develop.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#95 » by DBC10 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm

Yeah seems like just another regular NBA-ish level point guard. Which I guess isn't bad to have on the roster, even if for leadership purposes.

Problem is, we still have a glut of guards though if CoJo ends up staying and doesn't want to get released
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#96 » by Pharaoh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 am

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Mildly was kind of hoping that I would have never learned the truth.
Happy to make as many foe lists as I do cause it's just a message board and there's no way we're all going to agree about certain things.

Love that pic. If only I had the time to make a list

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#97 » by GBanga3 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:59 am

Drwho17 wrote:Well, this is a nice move, low key easy move. Get's Delon out of the rotation, probably lose a few more games, gets time for the other PG's, saves cap money next year, and picks up a couple of picks. Not sure I see any downside on this move, hopefully the clock runs out before we do something stuipd.

I know right, yet somehow some have tried their best to find some form of negativity. I'm sure I am on the foe list so I won't waste my time, but clearly Delon wasn't a part of the picture going forward so In reality gaining anything of value for him, as we have in this case in terms of picks, $ and roster balance, is a win!
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-
vege
RealGM

Post#98 » by vege » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 am

thesack12 wrote:
vege wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
I often agree with you, but don't happen to with this particular move.

Specifically regarding the 2nds, I will agree that it would have been preferable if both of them were future ones as opposed to just one, to help restock the pantry. However, with three 2nds in this draft that provides a good amount of opportunity to move around the draft board this year. It also provides opportunity to trade at least one of them during the draft, in exchange of future picks to help restock the pantry in the upcoming lean years.

I am more than fine with people disagreeing with me, what is getting annoying is people who are clueless, disagreeing and instead of address my post, trying to make fun for some dumb reason. I have most of them on my foe list so it's whatever.

You can buy that Lakers pick for very little money every draft if you like a player in that range, and it's very rare that a player drafted that low will become even an end of bench player. That pick has 0 value. It doesn't even add value to move up. My bet is, we end up selling it for some money to Gores.

We acquired the #38 pick for less money than what we are taking from CoJo's contract.

The Sacramento 2nd is fine but tit should cost more than that to take on the dead money we're taking from CoJo, because that's what he is, 100% dead money.

That package has negative value in my opinion, so we paid Sacramento to take on Wright. That's laughable. Like I said several times already, Weaver got robbed in every single trade he did.

Also we're trying to develop young players. Guys like Wright and Plumlee are important imo. They're high BBIQ players. We're not developing anyone with DSJr and Hayes running the team, they're pretty bad taking care of the ball, and they have very limited court vision. Bey/Stewart are not going to get the shots they were getting when they played with Wright.

The final result was a disaster for SVG, but in the early days he was an absolute beast in trades. He got a bunch of above average starters giving up 0 value (Mook and Tobias for example)

I'm 100% with you in a lot of people these days aren't capable of or are unwilling of constructing compelling/productive discussion around disagreements on topics. They resort to ridicule, condescending based responses, or my favorite throwing out allegations of "whining." I don't know why, but I guess some people are just allergic to accepting differing opinions....

Moving on, Being able to simply buy 2nd rounders with only cash is becoming increasingly rarer. I actually just checked into it, and there wasn't a single 2nd bought during last year's draft for solely cash. Cash considerations were involved in multiple trades, but they all included a future pick, or in the Pistons case, raw cap space to absorb Bradley's contract.

As for the value of LAL's 2nd. While it won't improve a ton, it is currently looking up with Lebron being out a month + with his bum ankle and AD still uncertain of a return. While whatever slot is winds up is unlikely to yield an impact player, I would rather have that chance of the lottery ticket than not. Also, there is nothing saying that it can't be traded either. Whether that be as part of a package to move up the board, or traded out for a future pick. Long story short, while its not highly valuable it holds more than 0 value.

Even if we want to consider Joseph dead money, I'm personally fine with having that short term dead money. Cap space is all but irrelevant for the rest of this season, and having Joseph instead Wright this summer actually can create about $6 mil in cap space. I actually don't think that is the best course of action. As I mentioned in previous posts, I believe Joseph's unguaranteed contract can be a nice trade chip.

As for having DSJ and Hayes run the team, I am 100% fine with that. Its obviously in the team's best interest to get Killian on the floor and see what they actually have in him. I've never seen a scenario in the NBA where a player's development was better off by not playing. Same goes for Saben Lee. As for Smith sucking it up, yessss please. I'll take that all day, every day. Detroit is currently locked into a heavily contested dogfight to finish the bottom 3. I'm all for pretty much anything that helps result in Detroit getting their first top 5 draft pick in 18 years. If a primary concern is 1/2 a season of Bey and Stewart getting slightly less quality shots than what the mighty Delon Wright can provide them, I'd say the that juice is more than worth the squeeze in that scenario.

Sorry for it to take too long to remember this, but we sold a late 2nd to Houston for cash in the trade to acquire the #16 pick :)
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#99 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am

vege wrote:
Sorry for it to take too long to remember this, but we sold a late 2nd to Houston for cash in the trade to acquire the #16 pick :)

That wasn't a standalone move though. It was simply a piece of the larger trade. It was all negotiated within the framework of the Wood/Ariza/Stewart pick trade which eventually turned into Dallas and OKC getting involved and Delon Wright landing in Detroit.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#100 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:50 pm

kalenclayton wrote:Hey all.

Hopefully this helps someone. I know there will probably be plenty who disagree with me, but I’m being honest with y’all in what I see in the guy. He’s still an NBA player and he has faults. Hopefully those faults can be masked by a coach who understands his personnel. I think Detroit has a better chance at that than Sacramento.

The post as a whole is really informative, thank you.

All of this is good and all, my issue with him is really the fact that he is easily ready to go for Wrights role and playing time. When we have free agents to be in Lee, Smith, and Frank Jackson in terms of point guards. At this point it’s more important to get them as much as exposure to evaluate them.

Also with his guarantee being only $2.4 million while his full contract is 12.6 million. To me that makes it obvious that if he isn’t waived now, he’s off the team in the offseason.

So if he’s fine with a smaller role in terms of game time, great. But with his ability and history with Casey I can’t see that happening.

And being perfectly honest, I just want one of McGruder, Ellington, or Joseph cut so we can bring in another upside guy take a flier on. As well as being able to open up playing time.

Basically try to lose as much as possible without going full Hinkie.

Return to Detroit Pistons