[SHAMS] Reddit, Lyles to Mavs for JJ, Iwundu,2nd rd pick

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: [SHAMS] Reddit, Lyles to Mavs for JJ, Iwundu,2nd rd pick 

Post#21 » by JD45 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:12 pm

leolozon wrote:
Honestly, they appear incompetent to me.

JJ going to teach the young guards where the most comfy spot on the bench is and how to make the most of your rehab time.

Maybe he can even show Cuban and Donnie how to read a stat sheet and explain that Brunson and THJ are both shooting better than JJ this year.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,934

Post#22 » by Archx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 pm

leolozon wrote:
They just traded Curry for Richardson, saying they had to sacrifice shooting to get better at defense. And now they want to play a guy who can't play defense anymore just because he's a good shooter.

Yeah it's weird but lets be honest, Redick is an amazing team and locker room guy. And i am eager to see what Melli can do with Doncic giving him free looks.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#23 » by leolozon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Archx wrote:
leolozon wrote:
They just traded Curry for Richardson, saying they had to sacrifice shooting to get better at defense. And now they want to play a guy who can't play defense anymore just because he's a good shooter.

Yeah it's weird but lets be honest, Redick is an amazing team and locker room guy. And i am eager to see what Melli can do with Doncic giving him free looks.

JD45 wrote:
leolozon wrote:

JJ going to teach the young guards where the most comfy spot on the bench is and how to make the most of your rehab time.

Maybe he can even show Cuban and Donnie how to read a stat sheet and explain that Brunson and THJ are both shooting better than JJ this year.

Yeah, you're right. Like I said, it's not negative in itself. It's just the way they think that I disagree with. Will they spend the next few years trying to patch the team like that with 1 year veteran?

At some point veteran leadership is a bit overrated. We said the same thing about James Johnson. Anyone has seen that positive influence play out? The young guys aren't even playing anyway.

But if Reddick can help Luka with FT shooting. It will all be worth it. :D

It's funny that people are talking about veteran leadership when everyone was good with Barea leaving the team at the start of the year to keep Iwundu. And now we're getting rid of Iwundu + veteran leadership for veteran leadership?

It would be nice if they picked a direction.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#24 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

It's just a trade to have a trade.
Honestly, with the very limited assets of Mavs, I was not sure if Mavs could find a better wing defender.
- The small possibility of James Johnson returning to basketball to defend Kawhi-Lebron for 15 minutes in playoff time. Now we lost that.
+ Now, we have another small possibility for Redick to return basketball and bring some shooting back. The main thing is how bad is he on defense. He'll be a liability on D but let's see how bad he will be.
Melli is also a downgrade from Iwundu for defense. Iwundu was able to defend, give effort on the court. Melli is not that guy. Altough he has a game to offer 10mpg in some games, I am not sure if he can turn things around so fast. For Europeran players, competitive teams, better organization helps. So there is marginal hope there.
We also lost a 2nd rnd pic but I guess that is fine.

Overall, I don't mind being passive in the trade deadline. The players available were incremental improvements on this team not much more. If Redick becomes healthy by playoff time, Carlisle will find ways to use his game for small timeframes. Most teams can make the necessary adjustments to defend Redick on a 7-game series. Even if Redick has one or two good games, it could be enough contribution to winning the series.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#25 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:34 pm

JJ will add a great deal to our team but I hope he returns next year for the minimum. I look forward to his guidance helping our team out and veteran leadership.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Archx
RealGM

Post#26 » by Archx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:41 pm

HMFFL wrote:JJ will add a great deal to our team but I hope he returns next year for the minimum. I look forward to his guidance helping our team out and veteran leadership.

Before season started, i listened to Redick talking to Cuban on his podcast and they were so chill with eachother. Mark really likes him because he is a hard worker and Redick was also enthusiastic about Mavs young core. So i'm hopefull he will fully invest his time and help this team forward with his leadership and experience.

Also, people are probably not aware, Redick can play few minutes and you wouldn't know he already scored 15-20 points if you didn't check the box score lol.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#27 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm

Reddick will bring Powell into his podcast and boost his trade value, that's the game plan.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,856

Post#28 » by dirkules_41 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:05 pm

Well it's not exciting but it's better than Johnson and Iwundu and a late 2nd rounder.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Post#29 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:33 pm

leolozon wrote:
Archx wrote:
Absinthe wrote:Pointless trade. If they were going after shooting then Powell was the no brainer.

Mark disagrees with you :D

Read on Twitter

How do you mean?

They got Richardson because he was perceived as the better overall player. And Richardson has been improving lately.

Now they got a shooter and gave up very little. If they can resurrect Reddick, then they'll have two solid players in exchange for Curry.

KhalilS wrote:I would've prefered keeping Johnson, tough, physical player for the playoffs than washed up Reddick.

I had some hopes for JJ and he had some moments. But this is the story of his career... sounds glimpses of great talent, but never really seems to stick with a team. He had been phased out of the rotation. Also Iwundu seemed super energetic and had a decent game last time out, but also wasn't on the rotation.

Reddick's stock is really low at the moment. No clue how he is right now. But hopefully he has something left. Should be interesting to watch.

I'd easily say the Mavs needed more size/toughness over "more shooting". I wonder if they'll have the chance of adding some guy that gets bought out and can fit that prototype.

It's kind of amusing DFS, and his 4 million a year contract, is our lone big wing.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,339

Post#30 » by Mavrelous » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:43 pm

They hoped for another Josh Howard in Iwundu, but it's clear he's nowhere near.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Archx
RealGM

Post#31 » by Archx » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:49 pm

Dirk wrote:It's kind of amusing DFS, and his 4 million a year contract, is our lone big wing.

I noticed THJ played a lot of SF lately. I guess Rick views him as a combo guard/forward. It's fine with me but he struggles guarding bigger and stronger wings. Now with Redick on the team, they can roll out Brunson, Redick, THJ from the bench and i'll be happy i won't have to watch Burke experiment with his shots when KP is also on the floor.

I mean at the end of the day, if Redick can stay healthy and still play, Mavs have a ton of flexibility on guard positions. Still hurts not having a 2ndary playmaker though.
JD45
General Manager

Post#32 » by JD45 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:50 pm

KhalilS wrote:Reddick will bring Powell into his podcast and boost his trade value, that's the game plan.

And the Mavs will then give him a big money extension.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#33 » by leolozon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:02 pm

Dirk wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Archx wrote:

Read on Twitter

How do you mean?

They got Richardson because he was perceived as the better overall player. And Richardson has been improving lately.

Defense was always the selling point. That's why they gave up shooting for it.

“Josh Richardson, who we’re really excited about (is an) electric, young, defensive-minded two (shooting guard) that can play some three (small forward). And we think he’s going to be a really nice addition,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#34 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:04 pm

Archx wrote:
HMFFL wrote:JJ will add a great deal to our team but I hope he returns next year for the minimum. I look forward to his guidance helping our team out and veteran leadership.

Before season started, i listened to Redick talking to Cuban on his podcast and they were so chill with eachother. Mark really likes him because he is a hard worker and Redick was also enthusiastic about Mavs young core. So i'm hopefull he will fully invest his time and help this team forward with his leadership and experience.

Also, people are probably not aware, Redick can play few minutes and you wouldn't know he already scored 15-20 points if you didn't check the box score lol.

I can easily see him scoring a quick 8 points in the 2nd quarter or start of the 4th in a playoff game. This could change the outcomes of some games. If he's healthy he's a nice addition for playoffs as well.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Post#35 » by Dirk » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Archx wrote:
Dirk wrote:It's kind of amusing DFS, and his 4 million a year contract, is our lone big wing.

I noticed THJ played a lot of SF lately. I guess Rick views him as a combo guard/forward. It's fine with me but he struggles guarding bigger and stronger wings. Now with Redick on the team, they can roll out Brunson, Redick, THJ from the bench and i'll be happy i won't have to watch Burke experiment with his shots when KP is also on the floor.

I mean at the end of the day, if Redick can stay healthy and still play, Mavs have a ton of flexibility on guard positions. Still hurts not having a 2ndary playmaker though.

On the bright side: the Mavs were "close" to Kemba Walker. Now apparently he is a former shell of himself. So looks like they dodged a bullet there.

On the dark side: no obvious path to getting that 2nd "great" playmaker. But since Luka dominates the ball so much and refuses to catch and shoot/play off the ball, I guess we may be able to get away with a Brunson type during the bench minutes and then just have very solid role players that Luka can pass into when he gets double/triple teamed.

Watching a guy like Hayward do well this season, it's a type of risk/opportunity the Mavs may take in the future to get that 2nd option. Doesn't seem likely the Mavs have the chance to had a "superstar" type.
60/21/10
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#36 » by BlueSan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Dirk wrote:
leolozon wrote:
Archx wrote:

Read on Twitter

How do you mean?

Now they got a shooter and gave up very little. If they can resurrect Reddick, then they'll have two solid players in exchange for Curry.

KhalilS wrote:I would've prefered keeping Johnson, tough, physical player for the playoffs than washed up Reddick.

I had some hopes for JJ and he had some moments. But this is the story of his career... sounds glimpses of great talent, but never really seems to stick with a team. He had been phased out of the rotation. Also Iwundu seemed super energetic and had a decent game last time out, but also wasn't on the rotation.

Reddick's stock is really low at the moment. No clue how he is right now. But hopefully he has something left. Should be interesting to watch.

I'd easily say the Mavs needed more size/toughness over "more shooting". I wonder if they'll have the chance of adding some guy that gets bought out and can fit that prototype.

It's kind of amusing DFS, and his 4 million a year contract, is our lone big wing.

Hillarious...
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#37 » by BlueSan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:38 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

I can easily see him scoring a quick 8 points in the 2nd quarter or start of the 4th in a playoff game. This could change the outcomes of some games. If he's healthy he's a nice addition for playoffs as well.

I can easily see him getting scored upon for easy 8 points. This could change the outcomes of some games. If injured that may not happen though...
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#38 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 am

JD45 wrote:
leolozon wrote:

The actual trade we made with NO is far better than what you proposed the other day
JD45 wrote:Based on some speculative reports, the Pelicans could use Ball to dump salary.

NOP Trades: Ball, Adams, Bledsoe ($57 mil outgoing salary)

Mavs Trade: THJ, Johnson, Richardson, Burke ($49 mil outgoing salary)

Mavs are probably worse this year, but get a younger player with more upside and a massively overpaid C for the rotation.

NOP clears all bad contracts. They could end up keeping Richardson or Hardaway.
bartlettbear
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#39 » by bartlettbear » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:37 am

Reddick yuck

Melli not bad actually excited to see him get some run.
JD45
General Manager

Post#40 » by JD45 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:42 am

daoneandonly wrote:
The actual trade we made with NO is far better than what you proposed the other day

JD45 wrote:Based on some speculative reports, the Pelicans could use Ball to dump salary.

NOP Trades: Ball, Adams, Bledsoe ($57 mil outgoing salary)

Mavs Trade: THJ, Johnson, Richardson, Burke ($49 mil outgoing salary)

Mavs are probably worse this year, but get a younger player with more upside and a massively overpaid C for the rotation.

NOP clears all bad contracts. They could end up keeping Richardson or Hardaway.

Ha, I still like my trade better.

The Mavs are setting up for a grim off-season for fans when we see how much they are going to pay to keep THJ and JRich after that playoff loss in the first round.

Frederic Bastiat

Return to Dallas Mavericks