Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Re: Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1541 » by DCasey91 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Aldridge from the buyout market? Wouldn’t mind him at all, would be our second best forward we’ve ever had during the Sixers Embiid/Simmons period already lol.

He's set to go to Miami.

Yeah I figured that Miami is a popular destination

Heat loading up for a run got a deep and experienced team
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#1542 » by Tomjas » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:43 pm

Aldridge is also washed

Spurs trying to win and being forced to buy him out tells you all you need to know
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#1543 » by Black Mage » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 am

Not going to lie. Disappointed that all we came away with was George Hill. Why does it feel like any legitimately needle moving guy the Sixers have real interest in that guy's team tries to hold us up for a king's ransom regardless of situation like age, expiring, lack of interest from other teams, etc.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,964

Post#1544 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:55 am

Black Mage wrote:Not going to lie. Disappointed that all we came away with was George Hill. Why does it feel like any legitimately needle moving guy the Sixers have real interest in that guy's team tries to hold us up for a king's ransom regardless of situation like age, expiring, lack of interest from other teams, etc.

Lowry is not a needle mover at this point in his career I mean prime Lowry may have not even been a needle mover.

Also refs are no longer falling for his flop god antics which is why he barely gets to the FT line and his defensive metrics have plummeted. I was not heavily interested. The guys I wanted were Boucher as a backup PF/C and Powell but it's clear from the moves the raptors did make they are not rebuilding. They are sort of half in half out. Trading for a RFA was a head scratcher.
MoeGreene
Junior
And1: 135

Post#1545 » by MoeGreene » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 am

Here's a list of buyout candidates. Who can we realistically get? I would want Porter Jr and or Rodney Hood. Austin Rivers seems like he's not a possibility if I remember a story from the preseason correctly that they prefer to stay apart.

Andre Drummond
LaMarcus Aldridge
Otto Porter Jr.
Hassan Whiteside
Darius Miller
James Ennis
Rodney Hood
James Johnson
Kelly Olynyk
Avery Bradley
Mo Harkless
Austin Rivers
Gorgui Dieng

Team money to spend:
Brooklyn Nets: $4.6 million
Golden State Warriors: $2.8 million.
Indiana Pacers: $7.5 million.
Memphis Grizzlies: $3.2 million.
Philadelphia 76ers: $3.9 million.
San Antonio Spurs: $6.8 million.
Washington Wizards: $1.6 million.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1546 » by Foshan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:12 am

I would cut our 3rd string C to add almost anyone of those bigs to fill in when Embiid is out and keep Howard off the bench.

Ennis was a good defender a couple years ago, not sure how he is holding up
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,013

Post#1547 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 am

Foshan wrote:I would cut our 3rd string C to add almost anyone of those bigs to fill in when Embiid is out and keep Howard off the bench.

... we have a 3rd string C?
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1548 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 am

MoeGreene wrote:Here's a list of buyout candidates. Who can we realistically get? I would want Porter Jr and or Rodney Hood. Austin Rivers seems like he's not a possibility if I remember a story from the preseason correctly that they prefer to stay apart.

Andre Drummond
LaMarcus Aldridge
Otto Porter Jr.
Hassan Whiteside
Darius Miller
James Ennis
Rodney Hood
James Johnson
Kelly Olynyk
Avery Bradley
Mo Harkless
Austin Rivers
Gorgui Dieng

Team money to spend:

Why would James Ennis be a buyout? He makes like 2 million dollars. What would he give back?
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,893

Post#1549 » by sixers4real » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:07 am

Two things I wanted from this deadline:
A. Keep our assets if it’s not for a star SG/SF
B. Upgrade on SG.

We kinda did both. Not a fan of George Hill, but I want him to surprise me and be the one who’s finishing games along Embiid Simmons Harris Green. We need his defense.

And I’m so happy we stay flexible, because I don’t us wining a chip this year (I wish I’m wrong), and we will need a big move in the off-season, so it’s great to have a lot of assets moving forward.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#1550 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:07 am

MoeGreene wrote:Here's a list of buyout candidates. Who can we realistically get? I would want Porter Jr and or Rodney Hood. Austin Rivers seems like he's not a possibility if I remember a story from the preseason correctly that they prefer to stay apart.

Andre Drummond
LaMarcus Aldridge
Otto Porter Jr.
Hassan Whiteside
Darius Miller
James Ennis
Rodney Hood
James Johnson
Kelly Olynyk
Avery Bradley
Mo Harkless
Austin Rivers
Gorgui Dieng

Team money to spend:

Austin Rivers.

Good Iso player for the last two seasons.

Morey knows this thats why he added him on his team last season.

He’s not THAT good but if you look at the impact he could bring with the drought with ISO skill on our squad, I think he could be useful.

Just seems to me that we need a high variance ISO guy and he fits the bill.

For instance, if you compare him to Ennis or Bradley, he maybe inferior as an overall player. But ennis and bradley overlaps with some guys on our team like Thybulle or Hill. So in the grand scheme of things, what Rivers bring has a lot more value due to lack of redundancy leading to no diminishing return.

Rivers and morey like having wild cards like Rivers that you can have an jump in power whenever he is getting a hot hand. If he’s cold, just bench him.

There are some nights you need a hail mary and he can do this when the stars align. You dont have anyone on the team who can do this. Hill, seth, ben and tobi can’t.

You then can shuffle your closing 5 man unit with Biid, Ben and Tobi at it’s core. With a couple of Hill, Green, Seth , Kork and Rivers. Those 5 depends on hot hand and match-ups.

Think of down the stretch, in a game 7, where Biid is cold. Tobi is as cold as always like in any game 7. And we’re struggling to generate offense.

We can let Rivers operate on ISO as last resort. Then shift our guys into being more opportunistic scoring while focusing more on defense and hustle plays.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1551 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:19 am

We also need a decent back-up 5, now that we lost a generational big man in Tony Bradley.

I like LMA. I believe we can run the same offense with Biid, whenever biid is off the floor. I’ve mentioned this before.

Think of offensive sets where we’d run an opportunistic scoring option where a shooter is curling or some backdoor stuff. Then if it’s denied, we can dump the ball to LMA.

LMA also plays at the same range with Embiid. He’s also one of the league’s best mid range shooter. If he can stay at the mid range and be a threat, he can be a good spacer for Ben and Tobi to operate.

Another thing to mention is LMA could play pick and pop. And MAYBE brings what AL did on the team with a much preferred role (off the bench) and much preferred salary.

So in the grand scheme of things, you can kind of hedge the Al-Green trade with a surplus of talent to compensate for the paid first rounder. While also got a more friendly cap space that allows Josh Harris to buy some house at Malibu.

If LMA ends up with the Heat, a guy to watch as our back-up big is Dieng.

Dieng shoots 50% from 10-16 ft. Looks like a decent defensive C who can space the floor for Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1552 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:34 am

Initially I had an impression that we need someone like Harkless because we dont really have a good defensive wing with atleast 6’7” in height that can defend some of the top tier star wings like LeBron and KD.

Then upon further thinking, i realize its 2021. And top tier star wings are becoming fewer in number while the trend is the rise of combo guards and I believe Hill, Green and Thybulle can provide much needed help in this regard.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1553 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am

stormi wrote:
76ciology wrote:Hill
Green
Ben
Tobi
Biid
^ could possibly the 5 we’ll use to end ball games

Don't hate it

What I like is we improved our edge matching-up against the Nets, while the Nets are still flat.

Think of how the Raps beat us in 2019. They acquired Marc Gasol which played a huge factor in defeating us.

We now have Green, Thybulle and Hill who maybe able to defend Harden and Kyrie. Then have Ben and possibly Tobi, who can defend KD.

We can’t find a shot maker, might as well bolster up and take our chances with defense and hopefully Biid and our 3s wont get cold.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#1554 » by stormi » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:38 am

I'd take Kelly O here to be our bench stretch 4 if he's bought out by Houston. Decently skilled, can pass, space the floor, run the floor and defend. Vast upgrade over Scott and rounds out our roster. Can also comfortably play backup 5 minutes if Dwight can't go or seeps into foul trouble.

Curry/Hill
Green/Milton
Simmons/Thybulle
Harris/Olynyk
Embiid/Howard
+ Kork

++Reed, Joe, Tucker

Gives us a complete roster and a real bench heading into the playoffs for the first time in the Embiid/Simmons era
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,965

Post#1555 » by eyeatoma » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:47 am

Definitely want Kelly Olynyk if we can get him. He's one of those players that you hate playing against, but love on your team.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#1556 » by hookshot199 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:07 am

Black Mage wrote:Not going to lie. Disappointed that all we came away with was George Hill. Why does it feel like any legitimately needle moving guy the Sixers have real interest in that guy's team tries to hold us up for a king's ransom regardless of situation like age, expiring, lack of interest from other teams, etc.

If you watched the final four minutes of last night's game, George Hill would have managed the clock and reduced turnovers. The game should have never been so close that it depended on Danny Green making a late three-pointer. Sorry, George Hill is exactly what we needed. Regarding Kyle Lowry, he wouldn't have moved the needle. He isn't close to being as good as James Hardin and Kyrie Irving, can't defend them. He's a midget. So giving up Green and Thybulle would have been disastrous. And then committing to signing Lowry for $25 mil for two years would have created payroll management problems moving forward.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1557 » by Foshan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:49 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Foshan wrote:I would cut our 3rd string C to add almost anyone of those bigs to fill in when Embiid is out and keep Howard off the bench.

... we have a 3rd string C?

I missed that Vincent Poirier was moved. :oops:
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#1558 » by Skates » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Lowry did the Raps no favor with his insistence on a big contract going forward, so he became a rental in the eyes of most and they valued him that way. Either you rented him or were at the mercy of him during contract negotiations to keep him. I have no doubt some team that saved up money of the now non-existent Summer of Giannis will pay him, but clearly the Raps asking price was too high when both Morey and Riley pivoted elsewhere.

Dwight demonstrated why one more big man is an absolute necessity, and bonus points if they can shoot from mid-range and more so if they can hit from three. Bigs of late are the deepest pool in the buyout market, and hopefully Doc can help recruit someone.

I would also add a low end point guard, even if it was just a vet playing in the G-league this year. Hill fills a really important spot on the second unit and closing games against defensive pressure and having one more guy with a tight handle to play when one of our others cannot would be a nice last piece of depth.

Hill is a very good get if he comes back from the thumb issue and remains healthy, we just need to trim out the roster around that move and see where it takes us.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1559 » by VDT » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:54 pm

The Raptors were asking too much but their problem was that they were negotiating with Morey and Riley. If they were trading with Elton Brand they would have had a deal. Good GMs very rarely make major trades with each other, they are mostly trying to find an idiot to fleece.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,964

Post#1560 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm

VDT wrote:The Raptors were asking too much but their problem was that they were negotiating with Morey and Riley. If they were trading with Elton Brand they would have had a deal. Good GMs very rarely make major trades with each other, they are mostly trying to find an idiot to fleece.

That isn't true. Good GM's with a timeline on an asset take the best offer available that is why the returns may vary widely depending on what is being offered.

A good GM would have not held onto Lowry, period. They would have taken the best offer and moved him there are also repercussions to this to Masai reputation part of what makes Sam Presti so well liked among players and agents is sure he may trade guys but he doesn't for the most part leave veterans in bad situations unless they want to finish out the season there or their contract is immovable.

Lowry wanted out. He wanted to goto a team that was going to offer him a contract extension and now instead he will have to be signed into cap space which severely limits not only his options in FA and also the money he will get. As a sixer fan this is the best case scenario because it means he'll likely sign for the MLE or go to a bad team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers