Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Wright Traded to Sacramento 

Post#101 » by kalenclayton » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:25 pm

chrbal wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Hey all.

Hopefully this helps someone. I know there will probably be plenty who disagree with me, but I’m being honest with y’all in what I see in the guy. He’s still an NBA player and he has faults. Hopefully those faults can be masked by a coach who understands his personnel. I think Detroit has a better chance at that than Sacramento.

The post as a whole is really informative, thank you.

All of this is good and all, my issue with him is really the fact that he is easily ready to go for Wrights role and playing time. When we have free agents to be in Lee, Smith, and Frank Jackson in terms of point guards. At this point it’s more important to get them as much as exposure to evaluate them.

Also with his guarantee being only $2.4 million while his full contract is 12.6 million. To me that makes it obvious that if he isn’t waived now, he’s off the team in the offseason.

So if he’s fine with a smaller role in terms of game time, great. But with his ability and history with Casey I can’t see that happening.

And being perfectly honest, I just want one of McGruder, Ellington, or Joseph cut so we can bring in another upside guy take a flier on. As well as being able to open up playing time.

Basically try to lose as much as possible without going full Hinkie.

The desire to evaluate the younger PGs on the roster is reasonable and probably the right thing to do. I recommend that you and other Pistons fans approach this situation with caution though. As I said in my post, coaches like him a lot. He’s consistently been a rotation piece for his whole career and I don’t necessarily expect that to change... even on a team that needs evaluate Lee, Smith, and Jackson. If we lived in an ideal world where teams reasonably switched to developing players once winning was out of the question, then your proposed situation would be perfect. I’m with you on the thought process and have pushed the same idea for my stupid Kings team in some way every year. There’s hope that Casey decides CoJo doesn’t play or keeps playing time to a minimum, but there’s also a great chance that CoJo becomes the coach’s steady presence on the court. I’m saying all this to push one point: be prepared.

I hope it works out well for you guys.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#102 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:35 pm

kalenclayton wrote:The desire to evaluate the younger PGs on the roster is reasonable and probably the right thing to do. I recommend that you and other Pistons fans approach this situation with caution though. As I said in my post, coaches like him a lot. He’s consistently been a rotation piece for his whole career and I don’t necessarily expect that to change... even on a team that needs evaluate Lee, Smith, and Jackson. If we lived in an ideal world where teams reasonably switched to developing players once winning was out of the question, then your proposed situation would be perfect. I’m with you on the thought process and have pushed the same idea for my stupid Kings team in some way every year. There’s hope that Casey decides CoJo doesn’t play or keeps playing time to a minimum, but there’s also a great chance that CoJo becomes the coach’s steady presence on the court. I’m saying all this to push one point: be prepared.

Dont worry, Casey plays vets - its in his blood. Last year after Reggie Jackson was let go the Pistons played Brandon Knight big minutes. Knight may still be in the league, but I dont care to look it up. Maybe he is a 15th man.

This team absolutely needs to tank. That means we are all in for some serious BS when Corey Joseph starts the next game :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#103 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm

kalenclayton wrote:
chrbal wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:Hey all.

Hopefully this helps someone. I know there will probably be plenty who disagree with me, but I’m being honest with y’all in what I see in the guy. He’s still an NBA player and he has faults. Hopefully those faults can be masked by a coach who understands his personnel. I think Detroit has a better chance at that than Sacramento.

The post as a whole is really informative, thank you.

All of this is good and all, my issue with him is really the fact that he is easily ready to go for Wrights role and playing time. When we have free agents to be in Lee, Smith, and Frank Jackson in terms of point guards. At this point it’s more important to get them as much as exposure to evaluate them.

Also with his guarantee being only $2.4 million while his full contract is 12.6 million. To me that makes it obvious that if he isn’t waived now, he’s off the team in the offseason.

So if he’s fine with a smaller role in terms of game time, great. But with his ability and history with Casey I can’t see that happening.

And being perfectly honest, I just want one of McGruder, Ellington, or Joseph cut so we can bring in another upside guy take a flier on. As well as being able to open up playing time.

Basically try to lose as much as possible without going full Hinkie.

The desire to evaluate the younger PGs on the roster is reasonable and probably the right thing to do. I recommend that you and other Pistons fans approach this situation with caution though. As I said in my post, coaches like him a lot. He’s consistently been a rotation piece for his whole career and I don’t necessarily expect that to change... even on a team that needs evaluate Lee, Smith, and Jackson. If we lived in an ideal world where teams reasonably switched to developing players once winning was out of the question, then your proposed situation would be perfect. I’m with you on the thought process and have pushed the same idea for my stupid Kings team in some way every year. There’s hope that Casey decides CoJo doesn’t play or keeps playing time to a minimum, but there’s also a great chance that CoJo becomes the coach’s steady presence on the court. I’m saying all this to push one point: be prepared.

Other then a few people, would imagine we’re all pretty comfortable with the reality that Joseph will get playing time. I’m just saying I’m hopeful he’s not looking at Wrights exact role.

Also, I feel, we need to cut a guard (McGruder seems the only possible candidate) to open up a roster spot.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#104 » by DetroitSho » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:07 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:The desire to evaluate the younger PGs on the roster is reasonable and probably the right thing to do. I recommend that you and other Pistons fans approach this situation with caution though. As I said in my post, coaches like him a lot. He’s consistently been a rotation piece for his whole career and I don’t necessarily expect that to change... even on a team that needs evaluate Lee, Smith, and Jackson. If we lived in an ideal world where teams reasonably switched to developing players once winning was out of the question, then your proposed situation would be perfect. I’m with you on the thought process and have pushed the same idea for my stupid Kings team in some way every year. There’s hope that Casey decides CoJo doesn’t play or keeps playing time to a minimum, but there’s also a great chance that CoJo becomes the coach’s steady presence on the court. I’m saying all this to push one point: be prepared.

Dont worry, Casey plays vets - its in his blood. Last year after Reggie Jackson was let go the Pistons played Brandon Knight big minutes. Knight may still be in the league, but I dont care to look it up. Maybe he is a 15th man.

This team absolutely needs to tank. That means we are all in for some serious BS when Corey Joseph starts the next game
I've blocked out last season's roster from my mind, but who was Brandon Knight playing in front of? And I'm genuinely asking. I literally can't remember our guard rotation after Knight got here. I kinda stopped watching.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#105 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:22 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

This team absolutely needs to tank. That means we are all in for some serious BS when Corey Joseph starts the next game
I've blocked out last season's roster from my mind, but who was Brandon Knight playing in front of? And I'm genuinely asking. I literally can't remember our guard rotation after Knight got here. I kinda stopped watching.

For young guys there was Jordan Bone who was leading the GR Drive to the G-league championship game. He didnt get any run.

Bruce Brown was the other one. I think he was played as a SF? Instead of playing Louis King.

Just typical Casey stuff.

After Drummond was traded for Henson and Knight - they jumped right into starting and playing 25 minutes a night. The team should have played:

Bone
King
Khyri Thomas
Sekou
Hall

Along with Christian Wood

Instead we saw a lot of Galloway, Knight and Henson. I dont think Knight and Henson are even in the league anymore. Galloway plays a few minutes a game for the Suns.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#106 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:34 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

For young guys there was Jordan Bone who was leading the GR Drive to the G-league championship game. He didnt get any run.

Bruce Brown was the other one. I think he was played as a SF? Instead of playing Louis King.

After Drummond was traded for Henson and Knight - they jumped right into starting and playing 25 minutes a night. The team should have played:

Bone
King
Khyri Thomas
Sekou
Hall

Instead we saw a lot of Galloway, Knight and Henson. I dont think Knight and Henson are even in the league anymore. Galloway plays a few minutes a game for the Suns.

Brown played 29 minutes a game primarily at guard.

The lockout screwed the opportunity to get them playing time.

Khyri played over 12 minutes a game the last two.

Sekou played a lot leading up to the end.

Svi was being heavily used.

Donta hall played quite a bit, but they dropped him for Justin Patton who never suited up because of the covid shutdown

Bone and King were two ways and might’ve been screwed by those rules. McRae also was kind of pointless and it would have made more sense to just promote King.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#107 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:36 pm

We are to the point now where we should be playing all the kids big minutes.

1) get them all playing time to see if any show promise.

2) good for the tank

There is basically zero reason to play guys like Ellington anymore. We don’t need him to get hot again and squeak us a win or 2 more than we should have.

Let him go so he can join a contender. Or keep him and let him mentor kids negligee the scenes.

I’d also be in favor of scheduling regular “rest games” off for guys like Grant, Plumlee, and Josh Jackson.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#108 » by JohnReese » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Cory Joseph is not gonna be buy out. His contract is really valuable for the draft night. It can help teams to maximize their cap space or go below the luxury.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#109 » by Manocad » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 pm

How last year's roster was managed is moot; the goal for the season was different. Well, unless you believe Casey is still desperately trying to win and just forgot how to coach for wins. Oh wait, pardon me--suddenly became too stupid to win games.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#110 » by DetroitSho » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:16 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:

Bone
King
Khyri Thomas
Sekou
Hall

Just so I'm keeping up, a guy like Bone drafted at 57 is worthy of trying to develop, so it shouldn't be seen as useless when we trade for a late 2nd? Right? Because I'm sure it's been stated otherwise multiple times when bashing Weaver.

And the fact that those guys you wanted to give time to are no longer in the league, it only matters that the ones you didn't want to have time are no longer in the league.

Khyri had years to show SOMETHING either in practice or in even limited court time. 9 games in a Covid reduced year wasn't going to show anything you hadn't seen already.

I'm not sure what your Wood - Henson argument is about. Wood got showcased plenty, maybe I'm misunderstanding that part. But I'll go back to the original point, specifically Brandon Knight blocking the guards. Yeah, no.

chrbal
RealGM

Post#111 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:18 pm

At some point Cory Joseph’s contract only counts as $2.4 million in a trade. Does anyone know when that is?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#112 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 pm

JohnReese wrote:Cory Joseph is not gonna be buy out. His contract is really valuable for the draft night. It can help teams to maximize their cap space or go below the luxury.

This actually brings up another point.

What is OUR cap situation in light of the buyout to Blake taking some money off our cap, and the impact of this trade?

Anybody know?
chrbal
RealGM

Post#113 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 pm

To add on, did we just waive zhaire smith or waive and stretch his contract ?
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#114 » by zeebneeb » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 pm

vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:No surprise that I find this deal laughable for us. Cojo is a bad player on a bad contract. The Lakers 2nd has 0 value, the Sacramento 2nd is a distant one and we donated better 2nds than that for nothing. What a nightmare. I expect more terrible deals to happen for us this deadline.

BTW now we lost wood for Stewart, a bad contract in Cojo, the lakers 2nd and a distant 2nd............
Even when the team gets some precious 2nd's your upset.

Are you ever happy Smeagol?

Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Show me where I am wrong.

Is CoJo a good player? Show me with data to backup that.

Does he have a good contract?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?
So let me make sure I understand this correctly. The resident Debbie downer who has poo pooed everything Weaver has done, which by the way, is exactly what every Piston fan has been wanting, a total and complete reset, is upset with gentle ribbing? I am addressing you by calling you Smeagol as you have made such a huge deal about 2nd round picks and as soon as Weaver gets 2 back, you crap all over this deal.

Your unbelievable. Oh, and of course you use this trade to once again make sure everyone knows you hate the Wood deal. You have made your feelings well known about Weaver, but there is a fact that is inescapable;

The old Pistons are dead. The last decade has been miserable for all Piston fans and it is finally erased. The Pistons are set to get(hopefully, fingers crossed, whatever good luck charm you got)a very high pick because the team is finally properly tanking, Weavers deals have worked out better then basically anyone thought they would, and we have two very promising rookies, and hopefully a third.

Speaking on that, your stance on Hayes is another thing that drives me nuts. 7 games is all he has played. 7! I've spoken on this before in how I give Piston players to much latitude to improve, (people here will vouch for that. My Andre hope was absurd, but I've come to realize he was nothing but a mirage)but to give up on a rookie after 7 games makes no sense whatsoever.

So have I addressed your arguments of complaining about sending out 2nd round picks, and then complaining when the team gets 2 back? I've stated repeatedly that 2nd round picks are nothing but trade filler, and the odds of getting a good player is a Longshot as well.

I am still unsure what you expected Weaver to do when he inherited this dumpster fire of a team. The first thing you do when you get handed trash, is to take it out. Guess what? He has done exactly that. One player remains.

Also, on another note, who cares if the player returning is a good player in this type of deal? This was a deal to get picks, plain and simple. The contract he is on is nominal, and he is a bad player.

What did you expect to happen here? A blockbuster trade bringing in a starter? What is it exactly that you expected Weaver to do with this trainwreck he inherited?
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#115 » by edmunder_prc » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:I've blocked out last season's roster from my mind, but who was Brandon Knight playing in front of? And I'm genuinely asking. I literally can't remember our guard rotation after Knight got here. I kinda stopped watching.

Bone
King
Khyri Thomas
Sekou
Hall

Just so I'm keeping up, a guy like Bone drafted at 57 is worthy of trying to develop, so it shouldn't be seen as useless when we trade for a late 2nd? Right? Because I'm sure it's been stated otherwise multiple times when bashing Weaver.

And the fact that those guys you wanted to give time to are no longer in the league, it only matters that the ones you didn't want to have time are no longer in the league.

Khyri had years to show SOMETHING either in practice or in even limited court time. 9 games in a Covid reduced year wasn't going to show anything you hadn't seen already.

I'm not sure what your Wood - Henson argument is about. Wood got showcased plenty, maybe I'm misunderstanding that part. But I'll go back to the original point, specifically Brandon Knight blocking the guards. Yeah, no.

Mostly picks in the 50s suck. But if you get a guy that is scoring 20 points a game in the G-league and goes to the G-league championship, you should bring him up.

If that team is terrible - Pistons - and just cut Reggie Jackson, the team is trying to tank and the other choice for PG is Brandon Knight, you play the guy you drafted.

Late 2nd round picks are very low % chance of even making the team. But if your team is one of the worst in the league, cutting all its players that any other team might want - PLEASE play the guys the team drafted.

Instead we got Knight, Henson, McRae and Galloway. Out of those 4, Galloway is playing a few minutes a night.

Late 2nd picks suck - but if a team is as bad as the Pistons, you play them and hope for the best. Or you could be the Pistons - draft guys, never bring them up, play guys on expiring that will be out of the league the following year.

Was that easy enough for you to digest?
chrbal
RealGM

Post#116 » by chrbal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:.

Late 2nd picks suck - but if a team is as bad as the Pistons, you play them and hope for the best. Or you could be the Pistons - draft guys, never bring them up, play guys on expiring that will be out of the league the following year.

Was that easy enough for you to digest?

Which other than the two ways, they did. Up until the covid closure. Had they managed to make a bubble, you would’ve seen Thomas, Svi, Kennard, Sekou, Wood, Patton, and Brown playing key roles.

Complaining because King (solid season in the g league this season) and Bone (waived out of a two way by Orlando) didn’t play is completely pointless.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#117 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:30 am

JohnReese wrote:Cory Joseph is not gonna be buy out. His contract is really valuable for the draft night. It can help teams to maximize their cap space or go below the luxury.

Pistons have three contracts like that...... Joseph, McGruder, and............... DeWayne Dedmon!
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#118 » by vege » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:40 am

zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Even when the team gets some precious 2nd's your upset.

Are you ever happy Smeagol?

Why don't you try to address my arguments, instead of trying to make fun of me calling me Smeagol, for some dumb reason?

Does a late 2nd in a draft we already have 2 2nds have any value? When was the last time a player drafted 55-60 (which is likely where that pick will land), turn into a NBA player? Or was an asset to move up in the draft?
So let me make sure I understand this correctly. The resident Debbie downer who has poo pooed everything Weaver has done, which by the way, is exactly what every Piston fan has been wanting, a total and complete reset, is upset with gentle ribbing? I am addressing you by calling you Smeagol as you have made such a huge deal about 2nd round picks and as soon as Weaver gets 2 back, you crap all over this deal.

Your unbelievable. Oh, and of course you use this trade to once again make sure everyone knows you hate the Wood deal. You have made your feelings well known about Weaver, but there is a fact that is inescapable;

The old Pistons are dead. The last decade has been miserable for all Piston fans and it is finally erased. The Pistons are set to get(hopefully, fingers crossed, whatever good luck charm you got)a very high pick because the team is finally properly tanking, Weavers deals have worked out better then basically anyone thought they would, and we have two very promising rookies, and hopefully a third.

Speaking on that, your stance on Hayes is another thing that drives me nuts. 7 games is all he has played. 7! I've spoken on this before in how I give Piston players to much latitude to improve, (people here will vouch for that. My Andre hope was absurd, but I've come to realize he was nothing but a mirage)but to give up on a rookie after 7 games makes no sense whatsoever.

So have I addressed your arguments of complaining about sending out 2nd round picks, and then complaining when the team gets 2 back? I've stated repeatedly that 2nd round picks are nothing but trade filler, and the odds of getting a good player is a Longshot as well.

I am still unsure what you expected Weaver to do when he inherited this dumpster fire of a team. The first thing you do when you get handed trash, is to take it out. Guess what? He has done exactly that. One player remains.

Also, on another note, who cares if the player returning is a good player in this type of deal? This was a deal to get picks, plain and simple. The contract he is on is nominal, and he is a bad player.

What did you expect to happen here? A blockbuster trade bringing in a starter? What is it exactly that you expected Weaver to do with this trainwreck he inherited?

As I expected, you have 0 content to add, that's why you try to be funny using those stupid names and try to insult me.

I have 1 thing to say. CONTEXT. Just because it's bad to give away 2nds for free, doesn't mean we should be happy every time we get a 2nd.

I gave you the chance to make this something productive, but once again, like I said, and like I expected, you are not capable of doing that, so, good bye.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#119 » by DetroitSho » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:55 am

vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
vege wrote:

As I expected, you have 0 content to add, that's why you try to be funny using those stupid names and try to insult me.

I have 1 thing to say. CONTEXT. Just because it's bad to give away 2nds for free, doesn't mean we should be happy every time we get a 2nd.

I gave you the chance to make this something productive, but once again, like I said, and like I expected, you are not capable of doing that, so, good bye.
Clearly beauty of a 2nd rounder is in the eye of the beholder.

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#120 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:02 am

You gotta understand the narrative:

IF we deal 2nds that's terrible.

IF we acquire 2nds that's terrible.

Everything is terrible!

If you look hard enough you can find the negative in everything.

If you're struggling with that look harder!

The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both usually right
DetroitSho wrote:
vege wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:So let me make sure I understand this correctly. The resident Debbie downer who has poo pooed everything Weaver has done, which by the way, is exactly what every Piston fan has been wanting, a total and complete reset, is upset with gentle ribbing? I am addressing you by calling you Smeagol as you have made such a huge deal about 2nd round picks and as soon as Weaver gets 2 back, you crap all over this deal.

Clearly beauty of a 2nd rounder is in the eye of the beholder.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons