ImageImageImage

Trade Deadline Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,742

Re: Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#1581 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Masai, Morey, Presti, Buford are all great at their jobs. I don't think it's necessarily fair to only judge them based on championships. I honestly feel like Presti has been the best GM and hasn't won one because of personalities clashing. What the Thunder have done the past two seasons in their rebuild is actually impressive.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#1582 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Eyeamok wrote:It's funny Morey may not have pulled of any big trades but sometimes the trades you don't make are the best trades. It seems out of spite Houston did not want to trade Harden here. So the Nets got him and Houston got?
It seems like the Raptors wanted a lot for Kyle Lowry. And Morey said if you value your free agent so much you get to keep your free agent. And moved on. Other GM's might have felt they had to make a move to save face Morey seems to has a long term view. Which I am good with.

Not only was Harden traded away from Morey (and the 76ers), out of spite, but I'm convinced spite had a lot to do with the subsequent PJ Tucker and Oladipo trades. Tillman Fertitta kept Tucker away from both Philly and Brooklyn, so as to not help either win the Championship. Then he turned around and "gave" Oladipo to Miami (Brooklyn and Philly rival) out of pure spite. I'm convinced of the latter.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#1583 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:20 pm

Besides Morey, Masai was negotiating with a front office that won the title last year and a front office that has won 2 titles and made 5 finals in the last decade. And they didn’t cave either.

It’s possible he just overrated Lowry’s value because of his past performance, something Eagles fans have seen the Eagles do with guys that were instrumental in their championship.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#1584 » by jotachase » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Looks like the Sixers are bringing in Mason Jones.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1585 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm

jotachase wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Guess it got deleted, but man, that would be a sick pickup.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#1586 » by jotachase » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:30 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
jotachase wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah he's a good guy to take a chance on. I like it a lot if it is really happening. The tweet was from Mason Jones himself, this is what he deleted:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,042

Post#1587 » by Sixerscan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
jotachase wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Broader ramifications maybe:

1. Reed converted to big boy contract.
2. Jones gets two way.
3. Iggy cut to sign this buyout guy Morey alluded to?

Or he just misunderstood something his agent said lol.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#1588 » by Eyeamok » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:32 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:It's funny Morey may not have pulled of any big trades but sometimes the trades you don't make are the best trades. It seems out of spite Houston did not want to trade Harden here. So the Nets got him and Houston got?
It seems like the Raptors wanted a lot for Kyle Lowry. And Morey said if you value your free agent so much you get to keep your free agent. And moved on. Other GM's might have felt they had to make a move to save face Morey seems to has a long term view. Which I am good with.

Not only was Harden traded away from Morey (and the 76ers), out of spite, but I'm convinced spite had a lot to do with the subsequent PJ Tucker and Oladipo trades. Tillman Fertitta kept Tucker away from both Philly and Brooklyn, so as to not help either win the Championship. Then he turned around and "gave" Oladipo to Miami (Brooklyn and Philly rival) out of pure spite. I'm convinced of the latter.

At the start of the season where their were threads about him being the worse owner in the NBA. I was like come on people he just bought the team. Little did I know. He is !!!
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1589 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm

He was such an exaggeratedly great prospect (by my metrics) stats wise at Arkansas. He clearly has some eye test issues with his lack of athleticism, but the guy is a brilliant basketball player. Great team defense, smart passer, great shooting numbers. I didn't know Houston waived him.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#1590 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:42 pm

jotachase wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
jotachase wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yeah he's a good guy to take a chance on. I like it a lot if it is really happening. The tweet was from Mason Jones himself, this is what he deleted:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

That would be a surprising pick-up. If I were Mason Jones, or his agent, I'd be doing everything in my power to get a chance on Orlando. Mason Jones is good enough to steal a starting spot on what's left of that team. Here, he has to compete against Rayjon Tucker, just for garbage time minutes.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#1591 » by LloydFree » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

He was such an exaggeratedly great prospect (by my metrics) stats wise at Arkansas. He clearly has some eye test issues with his lack of athleticism, but the guy is a brilliant basketball player. Great team defense, smart passer, great shooting numbers. I didn't know Houston waived him.

They waived him a few weeks ago, but I think they immediately re-signed him to a 10 day. I'm surprised he didn't immediately get picked up. Early in the year, he looked like he was easily the best Undrafted Free agent of the off-season.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#1592 » by stormi » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm

Mason!?!???!!?

yesssssss
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,978

Post#1593 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:A lot people can question Masai...but the fact of the matter is out of many of the "big name" front office figures like Morey, Presti etc....he's the one who's won a championship..not them. So I'm not gonna mock the guy for standing pat on Lowry as the guy clearly had a reason...he's not stupid.

I am not going to go personal on any GM other then to say I think Masai is overrated. He made a great trade to get Kawhi for one year but other then that has been pretty mediocre as a GM.

But regardless of feelings about his overall body of work when you look at this deadline he basically had a bunch of desirable assets and ways in which to approach the deadline. He had Boucher who had he made him available would have been valuable. He had Powell. He had Lowry.

I get moving Powell if you are in the midst of a rebuild. He probably has the most value. I don't get getting a RFA rather then picks back when Powell according to reports was willing to resign for 20M. I especially don't get moving Powell and keeping Lowry (with as Raptors fans believe then resigning him) if you want to retool rather then rebuild.

I don't understand what Masai did at all. I understand what Presti is doing he has a clear vision and direction he is taking his club. Toronto is stuck on a treadmill and Masai was given an opportunity to change that but didn't.

If Masai is overrated well what does that make Morey and Presti? One year of Kawhi and Toronto won a chip.. Morey had Prime Harden for years and a few years of prime Chris Paul and won nothing. Presti had Kd, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Oladipo etc and alao won nothing..so with that in mind what do you think about those guys?

Presti is operating in a small market. Had he been GM of the lakers he'd have five championships.

In any case I don't measure GM's by championships I look at their processes and decision making because not every GM has the same opportunities (often through no fault of their own). So instead of going on about these other GM's defend Masai decision making this deadline hell forget defending just explain it.

How does it make sense to keep Lowry and move Powell? What is the direction for the Raptors currently?
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#1594 » by underpressure » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 pm

stormi wrote:Mason!?!???!!?

yesssssss

All I know about this guy that he mastered the art of flopping which makes even LeBron flush:

VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1595 » by VDT » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:04 pm

Masai has been good because of the players he can find and turn into assets. He also doesnt make dumb trades and has built a winning culture in Toronto. The Kawhi trade was more luck than anything else but he had the team ready to take advantage of such opportunity.

Had he not lucked into the Kawhi trade he would probably soon overstay his welcome in Toronto due to the perpetual treadmilling but that's the GM life. You need luck especially if your team is not a free agent destination.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#1596 » by nitocobola » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:25 pm

VDT wrote:Masai has been good because of the players he can find and turn into assets. He also doesnt make dumb trades and has built a winning culture in Toronto. The Kawhi trade was more luck than anything else but he had the team ready to take advantage of such opportunity.

Had he not lucked into the Kawhi trade he would probably soon overstay his welcome in Toronto due to the perpetual treadmilling but that's the GM life. You need luck especially if your team is not a free agent destination.

I mean not only the kawhi trade.... kd and thompson got injured.

Of course that masai is a great gm, but let's not act like he is better than daryl morey because he won a ring.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#1597 » by TTP » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:A lot people can question Masai...but the fact of the matter is out of many of the "big name" front office figures like Morey, Presti etc....he's the one who's won a championship..not them. So I'm not gonna mock the guy for standing pat on Lowry as the guy clearly had a reason...he's not stupid.

I am not going to go personal on any GM other then to say I think Masai is overrated. He made a great trade to get Kawhi for one year but other then that has been pretty mediocre as a GM.

But regardless of feelings about his overall body of work when you look at this deadline he basically had a bunch of desirable assets and ways in which to approach the deadline. He had Boucher who had he made him available would have been valuable. He had Powell. He had Lowry.

I get moving Powell if you are in the midst of a rebuild. He probably has the most value. I don't get getting a RFA rather then picks back when Powell according to reports was willing to resign for 20M. I especially don't get moving Powell and keeping Lowry (with as Raptors fans believe then resigning him) if you want to retool rather then rebuild.

I don't understand what Masai did at all. I understand what Presti is doing he has a clear vision and direction he is taking his club. Toronto is stuck on a treadmill and Masai was given an opportunity to change that but didn't.

No way is Masai overrated.

You mentioned the great Kawhi trade (which was amazing - I thought DDR was a negative asset and Masai somehow moved him for a MVP caliber player + one of the best role players in the league, leading to a championship), but he's gotten as much value as anyone out of late picks and UDFA the last few years - Siakam, FVV, Anunoby, Powell, Delon Wright, Boucher.

Just look at the overall team success though, and I'm not even talking about the championship. He's not in a good NBA market that players want to join, yet his teams have made the playoffs every year of his tenure. He's only had one lottery pick in that time, a 9th pick that he acquired when he turned Bargnani, a negative asset, into a lottery pick from the Knicks - that was a low key elite trade in terms of value added.

He might break that playoff streak this year, but I'd still bet on the Raptors to make it. They have a positive net rating (7th in the East) and are only 3 games out of the 8th seed while having the play-in to fall back on as well. They've also played many more away games than home so far, and have had to deal with the weird circumstances of playing their "home" games in another city.

In 2017-18, the Sixers starting 5 was the #2 five man lineup in the NBA. The #1 unit that year was the Raptors bench unit (I think it was FVV/Wright/Siakam/Poeltl/Miles).

The guy is just really good at finding value and creating great teams that fit well together.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1598 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:21 am

No reason why Mason Jones can't be another Shake Milton type. Really decent skillset.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1599 » by Kobblehead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:25 am

TTP wrote:No way is Masai overrated.

Masai is very overrated.

All he did was sleep in the house Bryan Colangelo built.

And he had nothing to do with Kawhi Leonard. Pop was pissed at Kawhi and shipped him to Canada because he thought it was the opposite of California.

And he lucked into Siakam. If he knew he was going to be good, why didnt he take him at #9 instead of drafting a bust in Yakub Purtle?
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#1600 » by LloydFree » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:45 am

Kobblehead wrote:
TTP wrote:No way is Masai overrated.

Masai is very overrated.

All he did was sleep in the house Bryan Colangelo built.

And he had nothing to do with Kawhi Leonard. Pop was pissed at Kawhi and shipped him to Canada because he thought it was the opposite of California.

And he lucked into Siakam. If he knew he was going to be good, why didnt he take him at #9 instead of drafting a bust in Yakub Purtle?

LOL. Your boy Colangelo, passed on Siakam twice, in the same draft, for Timothe Luwawu and Furkan Korkmaz.

*** Note: Colangelo didn't have a thing to do with drafting Norman Powell in the 2nd round Or signing Fred Van Fleet as an Undrafted fee agent Or a trade deadline deal for the one Center that could slow Embiid. But let's not let details get in the way of a good fairy tale.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers