Re: Point Guard 

Post#341 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 am

A great watch

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#342 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am

Playoff rondo is the real deal and is why the Clippers will make the Western Conference Finals
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#343 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#344 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:54 pm

The long term benefit of this trade will hopefully be the impact on Mann. Rondo was tenacity like PB, but with a much higher BB IQ. Will be nice to see Mann develop watching and listening to Rondo.

When PB gets back, we are going to be stout defensively. Not only do we have a developing Mann and Rondo, but we will have a PB that can truly just be a bulldog defensively because we have two guys that can fill in. Plus, we will always have a defensive minded PG on the floor which will help Kawhi and PG defensively.

If you look ahead to a potential Nets Finals matchup, then Rondo, PB and Mann gives us the ability to always keep pressure on Kyrie and Harden.

None of that even accounts for what Rondo's passing and playmaking will do to improve the offense. Not since George Hill has Paul George played with a point guard like Rondo. I think we will see some positive impacts right away.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#345 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:00 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Magic waived Jeff Teague after getting him from Celtics in the Fournier deal. Hmm. Could we have picked Teague up and kept Lou and the picks ?

Please stop it with the picks. They are meaningless. One of those picks is three years AFTER the new arena opens. Are you really worried that we might miss out on some 2nd round talent current middle schooler?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#346 » by TucsonClip » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:29 pm

Teague is terrible.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#347 » by donemilio21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:38 pm

clipperlover wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Magic waived Jeff Teague after getting him from Celtics in the Fournier deal. Hmm. Could we have picked Teague up and kept Lou and the picks ?

Please stop it with the picks. They are meaningless. One of those picks is three years AFTER the new arena opens. Are you really worried that we might miss out on some 2nd round talent current middle schooler?

No, see I think you are not looking at the right way. Picks are not about players we "can" draft. It's about having those assets and use them in better trades. I think we overpaid.
If you ask me, we should trade all our picks and never make any selections. Our scouting team and front office is absolutely horrendous at drafting talent. But those are assets that other teams value.
We had 6 good draft choices in the past 30 selections we had over 20 years. We have 80% chance of wasting out pick. Trade them all.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#348 » by donemilio21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Reggie Jackson has been pretty efficient since end of February. He has been shooting well too. Do we slide him to a SG role ? I think Kennard is not going to be in the rotation at all in playoffs. Reggie will be a our SG off the bench.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#349 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:02 pm

Rondo
Pg13
Kawhi
Morris
Serge

Pat B
Reggie
Luke
Batum
Zubac
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#350 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:17 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

No, see I think you are not looking at the right way. Picks are not about players we "can" draft. It's about having those assets and use them in better trades. I think we overpaid.
If you ask me, we should trade all our picks and never make any selections. Our scouting team and front office is absolutely horrendous at drafting talent. But those are assets that other teams value.
We had 6 good draft choices in the past 30 selections we had over 20 years. We have 80% chance of wasting out pick. Trade them all.

Ballmer can buy 2nd round picks and has before. He could buy future picks to use in trades.
https://213hoops.com/can-the-clippers-buy-a-second-round-pick-next-week/
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#351 » by clipperlover » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:24 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Rondo
Pg13
Kawhi
Morris
Serge

Pat B
Reggie
Luke
Batum
Zubac

Some other line-up combinations I think we will see (depending on the situation):
Rondo, PB, Mann, PG, Kawhi
Rondo/PB/Mann, PG, Kawhi, Morris
Rondo/PB/Mann, PG, Kawhi, Serge
Rondo/PB/Mann, PG, Kawhi, Zu
Rondo, PB, PG, Kawhi, Serge Zu - Could see this vs Denver

I think we will see 1-2 of Rondo, PB, PG and Kawhi on the court at all times.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#352 » by TheNewEra » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:34 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Reggie Jackson has been pretty efficient since end of February. He has been shooting well too. Do we slide him to a SG role ? I think Kennard is not going to be in the rotation at all in playoffs. Reggie will be a our SG off the bench.

I see Luke still getting the nod because even in his short playoff run with the Pistons against the Bucke he put up some good numbers. Reggie might pick up some spark minutes to just blitz shooting
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#353 » by LamarWho » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:58 pm

I don't see Rondo playing more than 16 mins a game in the regular season. Mann should be solidified in terms of playing time at this point. I still don't know what Ty Lue's plan with Kennard is, but Reggie has more than earned his spot in the rotation.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 724

Post#354 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:01 pm

Board Man Gets IQ'ed.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#355 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 pm

Rondo will get decent pre-playoff time for a couple of reason. First, he needs to get used to his new teammates ... and (a much bigger thing) they need to get used to him. Rondo isn't a "good" PG; he's one of the best passers in the league in the last two or three decades. He's an all-time great in that one area. He will get players the ball in the optimum place at the optimum time. That's his greatest skill. Yes, he defends well; yes, he's sometimes a peckerhead. You like the one and accept the other because of his ability to deliver the ball the way he does.

Offensively, he's Jason Kidd lite. Like, Kidd he developed a decent 3 point shot around age 30; like Kidd, he scores enough to keep opponents from laying off him. (Kidd's career average was 12.6 per 36; Rondo's is 11.8). And, hopefully like Kidd, the skill(s) he emphasizes aren't the type that diminish with time. Seeing the court like that is a non-physical attribute.

Rondo's problem--he's tough to coach, and relies on instinct--is related to his strength. His instincts are actually really, really good. Rondo sometimes thinks he "sees" the court better and understands what's going on better than coaches. Every player think this sometiems. Rondo thinks it a lot. But there's a reason why he's got an assist percentage that's essentially the same as Magic Johnson and Steve Nash (and, um, Jason Kidd). He really *does* understand the flow of the game and how to integrate himself into it at an extraordinary level. We have nobody even close to that right now.

Rondo could fall apart at any moment. He's had some knee problems this year--although I personally think his "knee problems" started when the Hawks decided they wanted to move him. But he doesn't have to be a star, 32 mpg player now. He needs to be what he was last year in the playoffs; hard working, ball delivering, 25 mpg. And this *seems* like a good place to do it. We space the court well, but don't pass the ball well. Our guard roster didn't have many good combinations. I like a Rondo/Luke or Rondo/Reggie combination; Rajon still has enough left as a defender to balance out those guys, and will make their offensive games better. And, well, Rondo and Bev or Rondo and Mann would be a defensive juggernaut. Lue was Doc's assistant in Boston for most (if not all) of Rondo's tenure; they have a relationship. I have to think one reason we have Rondo is because Lue said he would help.

We probably won't see how this will all shake down until a few games into the playoffs, but I'm relatively optimistic.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#356 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Agreed w most of ^ except Rondo is not a good shooter at all.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#357 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

if this were anyone but Bayless... :lol:
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#358 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:55 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Rondo will get decent pre-playoff time for a couple of reason. First, he needs to get used to his new teammates ... and (a much bigger thing) they need to get used to him. Rondo isn't a "good" PG; he's one of the best passers in the league in the last two or three decades. He's an all-time great in that one area. He will get players the ball in the optimum place at the optimum time. That's his greatest skill. Yes, he defends well; yes, he's sometimes a peckerhead. You like the one and accept the other because of his ability to deliver the ball the way he does.

Offensively, he's Jason Kidd lite. Like, Kidd he developed a decent 3 point shot around age 30; like Kidd, he scores enough to keep opponents from laying off him. (Kidd's career average was 12.6 per 36; Rondo's is 11.8). And, hopefully like Kidd, the skill(s) he emphasizes aren't the type that diminish with time. Seeing the court like that is a non-physical attribute.

Rondo's problem--he's tough to coach, and relies on instinct--is related to his strength. His instincts are actually really, really good. Rondo sometimes thinks he "sees" the court better and understands what's going on better than coaches. Every player think this sometiems. Rondo thinks it a lot. But there's a reason why he's got an assist percentage that's essentially the same as Magic Johnson and Steve Nash (and, um, Jason Kidd). He really *does* understand the flow of the game and how to integrate himself into it at an extraordinary level. We have nobody even close to that right now.

Rondo could fall apart at any moment. He's had some knee problems this year--although I personally think his "knee problems" started when the Hawks decided they wanted to move him. But he doesn't have to be a star, 32 mpg player now. He needs to be what he was last year in the playoffs; hard working, ball delivering, 25 mpg. And this *seems* like a good place to do it. We space the court well, but don't pass the ball well. Our guard roster didn't have many good combinations. I like a Rondo/Luke or Rondo/Reggie combination; Rajon still has enough left as a defender to balance out those guys, and will make their offensive games better. And, well, Rondo and Bev or Rondo and Mann would be a defensive juggernaut. Lue was Doc's assistant in Boston for most (if not all) of Rondo's tenure; they have a relationship. I have to think one reason we have Rondo is because Lue said he would help.

We probably won't see how this will all shake down until a few games into the playoffs, but I'm relatively optimistic.

Exc stuff, TrueLA. ~20 minutes should be enough. Remember, last year we were winning every first half by 20. It's the tightass and lack of basketball IQ that killed us. We scored 35 points in the second half of Game 6 and 33 in Game 7. You can't beat San Diego State with those numbers. That's what Rondo's here to fix.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Post#359 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:06 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Rondo will get decent pre-playoff time for a couple of reason. First, he needs to get used to his new teammates ... and (a much bigger thing) they need to get used to him. Rondo isn't a "good" PG; he's one of the best passers in the league in the last two or three decades. He's an all-time great in that one area. He will get players the ball in the optimum place at the optimum time. That's his greatest skill. Yes, he defends well; yes, he's sometimes a peckerhead. You like the one and accept the other because of his ability to deliver the ball the way he does.

Exc stuff, TrueLA. ~20 minutes should be enough. Remember, last year we were winning every first half by 20. It's the tightass and lack of basketball IQ that killed us. We scored 35 points in the second half of Game 6 and 33 in Game 7. You can't beat San Diego State with those numbers. That's what Rondo's here to fix.

the issue was doc's refusal to adjust anything whatsoever and PG doing 0 in the playoffs/foul trouble imo
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#360 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:27 pm

RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

the issue was doc's refusal to adjust anything whatsoever and PG doing 0 in the playoffs/foul trouble imo

mercy, we've had more than enough of the narrative
we lost because the offense stalled and there was nobody able to restart it
Rondo is here to fix that

Return to Los Angeles Clippers