Image ImageImage Image

Is Wendell Carter officially a bust?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Define WCJ best as you can

BUST
22%
ROLE PLAYER
31%
SERVICEABLE
26%
GOOD
11%
GREAT
2%
NOT SURE
8%

Total votes: 236

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,186

Re: Is Wendell Carter officially a bust? 

Post#561 » by coldfish » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Can someone explain what was up with his hands? I have rarely seen a player at that level bobble simple passes and rebounds as much as him. This looks like a joke but IMO, this seriously impacted his production.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,686

Post#562 » by basketballRob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 pm

coldfish wrote:Can someone explain what was up with his hands? I have rarely seen a player at that level bobble simple passes and rebounds as much as him. This looks like a joke but IMO, this seriously impacted his production.
I've heard he has bad hands, but does he really want to play PF or center?

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#563 » by ZOMG » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
basketballRob wrote:What's his desired position?

Back at Duke, where his parents keps Coach K in line
Would he rather play PF than center?

He probably did, until someone patiently explained to him that nowadays the job involves outside shooting.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#564 » by basketballRob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 pm

ZOMG wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

He probably did, until someone patiently explained to him that nowadays the job involves outside shooting.
Okay thanks for the info.

meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#565 » by meekrab » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:19 pm

basketballRob wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

He talked about wanting to shoot 3s in the offseason but that never really materialized, he's taking the same less than 1 a game he used to though admittedly at a higher percentage. He's too slow to be a full time stretch 4 anyway.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#566 » by Red8911 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Everyone here was stressing the past 3 years on how Carter will develop and if he will become a good player in this league. There were countless posts back and forth all for the Bulls to just trade him away lol.

That’s how it happens a lot of times with these guys that get drafted. Everyone might think that a high draft pick is the future but if the player doesn’t perform as expected he leaves faster than some veterans who aren’t originally considered to be there for long.

Really glad AK finally decided to move him, he should of done it sooner but it ended up working out perfectly with getting Vucevic. Carter now will get another shot as a starter in Orlando and it his last chance to prove himself. Personally I don’t see him turning things around there either but time will tell.

First he needs to understand who he is as a player and that doesn’t involve shooting 3s or scoring. If he were to focus on everything else he’s better at like defense, rebounding, hitting the open midrange shot or offensive put backs then maybe he has a chance. Problem is he thinks he’s better than he is and that can kill his career.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#567 » by basketballRob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Red8911 wrote:Everyone here was stressing the past 3 years on how Carter will develop and if he will become a good player in this league. There were countless posts back and forth all for the Bulls to just trade him away lol.

That’s how it happens a lot of times with these guys that get drafted. Everyone might think that a high draft pick is the future but if the player doesn’t perform as expected he leaves faster than some veterans who aren’t originally considered to be there for long.

Really glad AK finally decided to move him, he should of done it sooner but it ended up working out perfectly with getting Vucevic. Carter now will get another shot as a starter in Orlando and it his last chance to prove himself. Personally I don’t see him turning things around there either but time will tell.

First he needs to understand who he is as a player and that doesn’t involve shooting 3s or scoring. If he were to focus on everything else he’s better at like defense, rebounding, hitting the open midrange shot or offensive put backs then maybe he has a chance. Problem is he thinks he’s better than he is and that can kill his career.
I kind of understand that they want to teach big guys to be post players and then eventually develop the 3PT shot. We have that problem with Bamba. He has no post game, so the opposition can just matchup a quick PF against him and Bamba doesn't use his size to dominate the paint.

That's one thing with Vuc, if they go small he'll dominate the paint, if they go big, he'll shoot 3's and if they guard the 3, he'll blow past them.

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,677

Post#568 » by NZB2323 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:36 pm

I voted "Not Sure." I remember a bunch of Bulls fans calling Tyson Chandler a bust after the 2006 season. In the 2006 playoffs Chandler averaged 1.8 ppg, 4.5 rebounds, 0.3 blocks, 1 turnover, and 4.8 fouls.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#569 » by kodo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:08 am

basketballRob wrote:
coldfish wrote:Can someone explain what was up with his hands? I have rarely seen a player at that level bobble simple passes and rebounds as much as him. This looks like a joke but IMO, this seriously impacted his production.
I've heard he has bad hands, but does he really want to play PF or center?

He's said multiple occasions he feels he's a four.
https://pippenainteasy.com/2020/04/02/chicago-bulls-wendell-carter-jr-openly-requests-position-change-power-forward/
When interviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times about talking to Head Coach Jim Boylen about the possibility of playing the power forward rather than the center position, Carter responded, “Absolutely, Coach [Jim Boylen] understands that I’m a great defender no matter who I’m guarding, but he also understands that one of the reasons we’re in the black is because of my size because I’m not as tall. I mean, I’m more mobile than most fives, so I’m able to be up, slide, all that.”

He also added, “I’ve been playing the four all of my life. . . . It’s definitely a conversation I’m going to bring up, for sure, but as of right now, I’m just trying to make it work with where I’m at.’’

There was some video over the summer of the "new Wendell Carter" which was him working on face up driving moves from the perimeter and shooting 3s.

When the season started he fired up 3 pointers, but after going 1-6 in the first 4 games he dialed that back. Now most games he doesn't shoot any 3s.

He's a very self-aware kid and strongly affected by poor performances, which can be both a good & bad thing in pro sports.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,690

Post#570 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:57 am

basketballRob wrote:
imagge wrote:Carter looks like he does not want to be here? Just trade him so he can play his desired position....Gar pax created this twice Portis/Niko now Carter/Lauri
What's his desired position?

He believes he's a PF. Kind of delusional if you ask me. 10-20 years ago, sure, he would have been a very good PF, but in today's league he's strictly a C. An undersized and unspectacular one at that.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,626

Post#571 » by Dez » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:55 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
imagge wrote:Carter looks like he does not want to be here? Just trade him so he can play his desired position....Gar pax created this twice Portis/Niko now Carter/Lauri

He believes he's a PF. Kind of delusional if you ask me. 10-20 years ago, sure, he would have been a very good PF, but in today's league he's strictly a C. An undersized and unspectacular one at that.

He said that once and has since said he's a C.
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#572 » by thedarkstark » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:06 am

You don't remember ole "rock hands" Tyson Chandlers first few seasons, eh?

You're correct though both Carter and Gafford had awful awful hands, they were constantly fumbling them ball. I think the game was moving too fast for them and they were trying to move before they got the ball to compensate. It also didn't help that Wendell has small hands for a big guy, glad he's gone but I wish him well.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#573 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:36 pm

thedarkstark wrote:

You're correct though both Carter and Gafford had awful awful hands, they were constantly fumbling them ball. I think the game was moving too fast for them and they were trying to move before they got the ball to compensate. It also didn't help that Wendell has small hands for a big guy, glad he's gone but I wish him well.

He absolutely can get better. I don’t think he could here in Chicago though, the fans and media were too in his head. New start is his best option.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#574 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:09 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

He has the same body as David West. He was listed at 6'9" 250 with a 7'4" wingspan. Do you really think Carter would be much slower than Aldridge or Gasol?

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,690

Post#575 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 pm

basketballRob wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:

He has the same body as David West. He was listed at 6'9" 250 with a 7'4" wingspan. Do you really think Carter would be much slower than Aldridge or Gasol?

WCJ is the definition of a plodding big. Whether he's faster or slower than Gasol and Aldridge I can't say for sure, but what's certain is he completely lacks their skills and craftiness.

His defense also isn't nearly as good as his reputation would make it seem. The only thing he's genuinely good at is rebounding. Everything else he's average or below.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#576 » by scottyg » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm

In some weird way I think him and Bamba can play together and might complement each other’s game and now have the time to develop correctly without pressure !
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#577 » by kodo » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:He has the same body as David West. He was listed at 6'9" 250 with a 7'4" wingspan. Do you really think Carter would be much slower than Aldridge or Gasol?

Not remotely. He'll blow by the older slower guys.
Spoiler:

The issue is that this rarely comes up, because when Wendell catches the ball on the perimeter centers will wait for him at the rim, and Wendell hasn't gotten his 3P shot to any respectable enough level to draw them out to him. Wendell usually gets a ton of space if he's out on the perimeter.

If he can reliably hit a wide open 3, even on just a set shot, it would go a long way. But I guess you could say that about any young center in this league.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,508

Post#578 » by DuckIII » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:21 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
thedarkstark wrote:

He absolutely can get better. I don’t think he could here in Chicago though, the fans and media were too in his head. New start is his best option.

I still think Wendell will have a solid career. Perhaps not, but in my opinion it’s pretty clearly mental with him. Maybe this fresh start will give him some confidence. If so, there is nothing stopping this guy from being a 14/9 defensive anchor.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#579 » by PaKii94 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:03 pm

After a day or two of letting it sink in, it feels really really nice not having to worry about butterfingers and the C rotation anymore.

Now if we can fix the PG situation while retaining lauri, I'll sleep real good at night
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#580 » by PaKii94 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:04 pm

After a day or two of letting it sink in, it feels really really nice not having to worry about butterfingers and the C rotation anymore.

Now if we can fix the PG situation while retaining lauri, I'll sleep real good at night

Return to Chicago Bulls