RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Re: Point Guard 

Post#361 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Exc stuff, TrueLA. ~20 minutes should be enough. Remember, last year we were winning every first half by 20. It's the tightass and lack of basketball IQ that killed us. We scored 35 points in the second half of Game 6 and 33 in Game 7. You can't beat San Diego State with those numbers. That's what Rondo's here to fix.

the issue was doc's refusal to adjust anything whatsoever and PG doing 0 in the playoffs/foul trouble imo

mercy, we've had more than enough of the narrative
we lost because the offense stalled and there was nobody able to restart it
Rondo is here to fix that

And that falls on Paul George, a max player who got into foul trouble and shot terribly PG or not.
I'm the biggest Trez fan around, but he struggled a lot and should have played less bc of circumstance.

Rondo will hopefully fix it, TBD but I'm very optimistic about him barring injury
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#362 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:13 pm

RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
the issue was doc's refusal to adjust anything whatsoever and PG doing 0 in the playoffs/foul trouble imo

And that falls on Paul George, a max player who got into foul trouble and shot terribly PG or not.
I'm the biggest Trez fan around, but he struggled a lot and should have played less bc of circumstance.

Rondo will hopefully fix it, TBD but I'm very optimistic about him barring injury

Trezz was mentally a basket case but his minutes were also cut to 15 so that's narrative--Zu was playing 25-30 minutes. PG sucked ass but Kawhi couldn't make up for it either. The problem was not Lou either, it's that he can't provide what this team needs. None of those 3 is an MJ or Kobe--or LeBron--who can play 1-on-5 and still get you buckets.

This move is a much bigger Hail Mary than people think. Putting a bunch of turkeys together to try and make an eagle. :lol:

The move strikes as less likely to upend the Clippers’ starting lineup than potentially change the rotations coach Tyronn Lue might use to close games based on his trust in his new guard. For a team that views a championship as its ultimate goal, the acquisition of the veteran point guard represents belief that his history of strong postseason play will return later this season despite one of Rondo’s worst statistical regular seasons.

Last season, Rondo transformed from a regular-season guard with an offensive rating of 103 and defensive rating of 108 into a key piece of the Lakers’ championship run by producing an offensive rating of 115 and defensive rating of 108.

Improving on his regular-season production this season would seem to be a low bar. In a limited role with Atlanta, he’s averaged career lows of 3.9 points, 3.5 assists and 40% shooting from the field, with an offensive rating of 98 and defensive rating of 113. The question over the course of the last two months of the regular season is whether he is closer, at age 35, to being the playoff difference maker from less than one year ago, or the nonfactor he’d become with the Hawks.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-03-25/clippers-rajon-playoff-rondo-five-takeaways-nba-trade-deadline
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#363 » by RingColluder » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:28 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Trezz was mentally a basket case but his minutes were also cut to 15 so that's narrative--Zu was playing 25-30 minutes. PG sucked ass but Kawhi couldn't make up for it either. The problem was not Lou either, it's that he can't provide what this team needs. None of those 3 is an MJ or Kobe--or LeBron--who can play 1-on-5 and still get you buckets.

This move is a much bigger Hail Mary than people think. Putting a bunch of turkeys together to try and make an eagle. :lol:

The move strikes as less likely to upend the Clippers’ starting lineup than potentially change the rotations coach Tyronn Lue might use to close games based on his trust in his new guard. For a team that views a championship as its ultimate goal, the acquisition of the veteran point guard represents belief that his history of strong postseason play will return later this season despite one of Rondo’s worst statistical regular seasons.

Last season, Rondo transformed from a regular-season guard with an offensive rating of 103 and defensive rating of 108 into a key piece of the Lakers’ championship run by producing an offensive rating of 115 and defensive rating of 108.

Improving on his regular-season production this season would seem to be a low bar. In a limited role with Atlanta, he’s averaged career lows of 3.9 points, 3.5 assists and 40% shooting from the field, with an offensive rating of 98 and defensive rating of 113. The question over the course of the last two months of the regular season is whether he is closer, at age 35, to being the playoff difference maker from less than one year ago, or the nonfactor he’d become with the Hawks.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/story/2021-03-25/clippers-rajon-playoff-rondo-five-takeaways-nba-trade-deadline

Kawhi had to play a way different role bc of PG's stupidity in getting 2 early fouls like like 3 fo the games in the 1st quarter. Kawhi was pushing and had no backup, I dont blame him but by game 7 he def just gave up.

This is all assuming Rondo will not be injured, but yes are chances are great w him playing.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#364 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:21 am

FYI another game where Trez carried the team to a win without AD or LeBron.

We could have signed him for a 2 year 18 mil contract like Rondo, but bc PG didnt like him we didn't do anything.

Trez and Zu would have been a perfect backcourt pairing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#365 » by og15 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:32 pm

RingColluder wrote:FYI another game where Trez carried the team to a win without AD or LeBron.

We could have signed him for a 2 year 18 mil contract like Rondo, but bc PG didnt like him we didn't do anything.

Great job by Trez, but we couldn’t have signed him for 2 years / $18 million, LOL. Trez took that lower contract in part to spite the Clippers. If he was re-signing with the Clippers the contract would be quite different.

Also Lakers are 1-5 in the games without Lebron and Davis (including the game Lebron got injured). Since the game Lebron got injured and before last nights win, they were 0-4 with an average loss margin of 11.8 points. That’s not a critique on Trez, he’s not a player expected to carry any teams, but this is actually the ONLY game Trez carried them to a win without AD or Lebron, not “another” game :lol: ;)
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#366 » by og15 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:34 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

If you play really poorly in the regular season, you just have to basically be decent in the post-season and you’re a playoff performer ;). Paul George should learn from this and just suck more in the regular season (please don’t do this).

Honestly, I hope the man is healthy and able to produce. There are always issues with him, but they can be made up for with the right roster and he’s a great basketball mind.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#367 » by og15 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:46 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
As a Clippers fan, there's nothing annoying whatsoever about a player who does well in the playoffs lol

There's a difference between 1) playing well in the regular season, and then maintaining that high level of play in the playoffs, and 2) seemingly coasting through the regular season, being a net negative or overall negative player for your team and having them hope you show up big in the post-season.

Rondo in Boston just played more minutes in the playoffs, so his raw numbers were better, that's no big deal, that happens. He was trash in Dallas. Not a long enough sample size with Chicago. On the other hand, in his last two playoffs with New Orleans and LAL, it has at least seemed like he has done the latter (coast then get serious), not the former, and that is the problem. Maybe they are coincidental, in which case, it might suck for the Clippers, but I don't think so.

I think it's a focus and preparation related thing. Rondo is a smart player and generally is in a supporting role, which means the defense is not focused on him. In a series where you are game planning for one specific opponent, he knows how to take advantage of those opportunities as a complimentary player well enough (even if he won't always be super consistent in some areas).

I doubt Rondo plays more than 10-15 games for us in the RS and it will all just be finding his role on the team. To expect anything from him is setting yourself up to bash him. Our max guy PG is the ultimate stat padding RS player who chokes in the playoffs. Rondo is the opposite, I'll take even 40% odds at this point compared to... not doing anything every day of the week.

Again, look at the success he had w the Lakers LAST YEAR. What is the issue? Our other option was a washed up demoralized Lou Williams. Rondo is the perfect fit for the team, the only issue is injuries. Ty Lue has known him from the beginning of his career, I doubt Rondo will mail it in especially coming in late on a contender.

TBH I'd trust him even over Lonzo Ball in the playoffs based on his track record and it does seem we're playing in a 1-2 year window for a ring.

When you look at our other options, I'm really surprised to see the board so negative on him.

I’m going to respond here because the other thread is being derailed.

I’m not negative on him, you should read what I’m saying in context. Like I said, it might suck for the Clippers, “but I don’t think so”. And like I said, he knows how to take advantage of opportunities as a complimentary player in the playoffs when it’s just one matchup and he seems to be more focused and prepared. None of this is negative.

If you think it is negative to suggest that a player coasting through the regular season is a problem, I can’t really add much else. I don’t actually think he’s coasting, I simply think the more focused matchup of the playoffs can help him out and allows him to be more effective. In the regular season, things are constantly changing.

Also, yes, fans can get annoyed when a player doesn’t perform in the regular season, it’s not going to be as relevant this season because it is mostly over, but seeding and regular season wins do still matter, so it’s not simply okay for a player to be bad in the regular season. Rondo was decent for the Lakers in the regular season last year. Inefficient in his scoring, but he doesn’t shoot THAT much that it’s a problem. This is going to be more of a concern next season.

Also Rondo needs as many reps as possible to understand his teammates, how they like to get the ball, where their spots are, etc. A lot of top PG’s new to teams, you’ll see them have a lag time in impact where they are feeling out their teammates, learning guys spots, etc. Clippers can’t afford to play him just 10 games if they want the best of him in the post-season. If so, he’ll still be feeling out teammates in the playoffs, and that’s a problem. He actually should play as many games as possible and as many minutes as reasonable.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#368 » by TheNewEra » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:23 pm

At least he has some relationships early
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#369 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:36 pm

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

If you play really poorly in the regular season, you just have to basically be decent in the post-season and you’re a playoff performer ;). Paul George should learn from this and just suck more in the regular season (please don’t do this).

Honestly, I hope the man is healthy and able to produce. There are always issues with him, but they can be made up for with the right roster and he’s a great basketball mind.

Yah, I think you're right--Paul George is a VERY good player but not a great one. He's been trying to do too much, I think. Hopefully Playoff Rondo can get Playoff P to take what the game gives him.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,088

One More Important Thing About Rondo 

Post#370 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Rondo's numbers will be sucky in the regular season, you're just gonna have to accept that. His main purpose with this team is to whip them mentally into shape. Too many times, the Clippers are one game away from the next step and they squander it. Being up 3-1 in a playoff series that would get them into a conference finals. Being up 2-0 that would give them an automatic series win (No team has ever come back down 3-0 in a playoff series). They want that winning game to be perfect, a blowout, a large margin of victory, a highlight reel play of their 2nd round series win, the opposing superstar ejected from a game - something that would put a cherry on top en route to their first milestone. When they can't get something cute in that series clincher, they get scared, lose focus, shake under pressure, fearing as if something bad is going to happen. Then it finally happens, they lose a game. They're so shocked over that upset, the failure of giving the fans something delightful, that they allow that one loss to consume them for the rest of the series until they are ultimately eliminated.

See, the Clippers want everything to go perfect in their win. They want that series win to be extra special, something that will make the franchise beloved. If one single tiny microscopic little thing goes wrong, then everything goes wrong. This is a franchise that allows personal emotions and attachments to get in the way of business. As much as they love Lou Williams for being a part of the Revenge Of The Role Players, the NBA is the only league where having an underdog team doesn't work - they needed an upgrade, even if they refused to admit it. As a matter of fact, on Twitter, a majority of Clipper beat writers are against the Williams-Rondo trade simply because of Rondo's bad character, for wanting to win with niceness a la Spurs, for rewarding Williams for his loyalty, and (in my view) because of how the Chris Paul reverse farm trade made them bitter about wanting a true point guard again. Rondo will help ensure the Clippers don't indulge in their bad self-destructive habits.

Remember, this could their last and only chance to win a title. Their right to compete is on the line. Get eliminated in the playoffs, not only will they lose Leonard, they'll be in the lottery for a very long time.

One last nugget: Rondo is the only player in NBA history to win titles with both Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics, both long storied franchises that have put the NBA on the map and saved the league from bankruptcy. Both teams have 17 titles each. Doesn't get anymore ying yang than this, and the Clippers finally have somebody who can keep them in balance.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#371 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 pm

TBH I think both Lou and Rondo are now on teams that can better use their individual talents. I am pretty certain Rondo will play better for us than he has for the Hawks, how much better is TBD (which seems to be the acronym of the thread now and could be Rondo's nickname for the rest of the season :lol: )

Given that the Hawks could use some backup scoring punch, I think the trade should have been an even swap. But 2nd round picks are like the loose change you find under the seat cushions, we have enough to spare and can always buy more if desired later. It certainly doesn’t make or break this trade.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#372 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 pm

LamarWho wrote:I don't see Rondo playing more than 16 mins a game in the regular season. Mann should be solidified in terms of playing time at this point. I still don't know what Ty Lue's plan with Kennard is, but Reggie has more than earned his spot in the rotation.

16 MPG sounds about right to me, across both units so Lue can assess how to use him in the playoffs.

I want to see Luke play more, but if Reggie forces Luke’s hand by continuing to play well that’s a good problem to have. I would like to see much less Luke DNP’s though, just to keep him somewhat involved.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#373 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:53 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:FYI another game where Trez carried the team to a win without AD or LeBron.

Great job by Trez, but we couldn’t have signed him for 2 years / $18 million, LOL. Trez took that lower contract in part to spite the Clippers. If he was re-signing with the Clippers the contract would be quite different.

Also Lakers are 1-5 in the games without Lebron and Davis (including the game Lebron got injured). Since the game Lebron got injured and before last nights win, they were 0-4 with an average loss margin of 11.8 points. That’s not a critique on Trez, he’s not a player expected to carry any teams, but this is actually the ONLY game Trez carried them to a win without AD or Lebron, not “another” game :lol: ;)

Trez said he was upset and surprised the Clippers didn't offer him any contract whatsoever. There's a major difference.

I doubt you'd be giving the same criticism about Zu if PG and Kawhi were not playing. Look at his stats and the way he plays the game, it's ridiculous.

Last 5 games: 10-13, 23 pts 11 rebounds
10-13 23 pts 10 rebounds
18 pts, 6 rebounds 2 blocks
8-13 20 pts, 8 rebounds
10-15 24 tips, 10 rebounds

He's an insanely good player, PG going on an ego trip is not an excuse for us needing another big man instead of begging Drummond and Aldridge to join us.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#374 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 pm

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Yah, I think you're right--Paul George is a VERY good player but not a great one. He's been trying to do too much, I think. Hopefully Playoff Rondo can get Playoff P to take what the game gives him.

I'd consider PG a pretty good player. His best days were on the Vogel Pacers w Hibbert and company where he played to his role not looking to be a "superstar" but just win games. Yes he had that 3rd place MVP season, but it pretty much all got negated by his horrible play in the playoffs.

At best he's a decent #3 I don't' foresee him on any team as a #2 and being a contender. He really needs to prove a lot more to all of us OR Morris needs to take on the #2 offensive role (more likely) for us to go somewhere.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#375 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 pm

RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:If you play really poorly in the regular season, you just have to basically be decent in the post-season and you’re a playoff performer ;). Paul George should learn from this and just suck more in the regular season (please don’t do this).

I'd consider PG a pretty good player. His best days were on the Vogel Pacers w Hibbert and company where he played to his role not looking to be a "superstar" but just win games. Yes he had that 3rd place MVP season, but it pretty much all got negated by his horrible play in the playoffs.

At best he's a decent #3 I don't' foresee him on any team as a #2 and being a contender. He really needs to prove a lot more to all of us OR Morris needs to take on the #2 offensive role (more likely) for us to go somewhere.

First, Morris has to become a reliable #3! One reason PG has tried to do too much. I don't care what his percentages were, we need more than last year's 11.8 points a game from Marcus.

What I hate a lot more than guys who miss shots or turn the ball over are the freeloaders who disappear for 5 minutes at a time-- not the ones trying to do too much, but the ones who try too little. I thought PG got too little blame for last year but some of the others deserved even more. The scoreboard measures production, not percentages.

We lose 8 ppg with this trade, but Lou does not make others more productive [except maybe Trezz]. The hope is that Rondo will. [Actually, it's a prayer.] :wink:
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#376 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 pm

esqtvd wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

First, Morris has to become a reliable #3! One reason PG has tried to do too much. I don't care what his percentages were, we need more than last year's 11.8 points a game from Marcus.

What I hate a lot more than guys who miss shots or turn the ball over are the freeloaders who disappear for 5 minutes at a time-- not the ones trying to do too much, but the ones who try too little. I thought PG got too little blame for last year but some of the others deserved even more. The scoreboard measures production, not percentages.

We lose 8 ppg with this trade, but Lou does not make others more productive [except maybe Trezz]. The hope is that Rondo will. [Actually, it's a prayer.] :wink:

Well Morris wouldn't be the PG like Paul George is. We just need him to spot up and shoot it whenever he gets the ball. He has the 2nd best shot on the team other than Kawhi IMO.

I hate guys who turn the ball over and give up easy baskets in transition bc of it (4 pt swings) over guys who disappear for 5 minutes by far. If we're going for a ring, "effort" doesn't matter it's. how they are performing.

Rondo will help not stats wise, but just make everyone else look better, hopefully.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#377 » by Clemenza » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:

Trez said he was upset and surprised the Clippers didn't offer him any contract whatsoever. There's a major difference.

I doubt you'd be giving the same criticism about Zu if PG and Kawhi were not playing. Look at his stats and the way he plays the game, it's ridiculous.

10-13 23 pts 10 rebounds
8-13 20 pts, 8 rebounds

He's an insanely good player, PG going on an ego trip is not an excuse for us needing another big man instead of begging Drummond and Aldridge to join us.

Trez could always score his ass off no matter what but he puts up a lot of empty stats as well. He's a black hole on offense and doesn't play much D. He wasn't playing 4th quarters like he did with us until Bron and AD went down. Laker fans don't even talk this good about him. Evidently the team isn't feelin' him nor his production since they had him on the trade block for a 35 year old overrated guard from Toronto. Just sayin'
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#378 » by og15 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:54 pm

RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:

10-13 23 pts 10 rebounds
8-13 20 pts, 8 rebounds

Yes, no doubt he was, but you keep repeating not re-signing Trez without acknowledging that he also wasn't resigned because of multiple chemistry issues, it was not simply an ability issue.

Talent doesn't just overcome chemistry problems, and chemistry can be a fragile thing. Clippers had his bird rights, they could offer him a bigger contract. He took a pay cut and went to the defending champs and cross hall rivals partly to spite the Clippers.

The Charlotte deal he turned down was likely at least 12-15 million year and possibly more years. I don't know exactly, but the Lakers only had the MLE, hence why he was capped at around $9 million a year if he was to sign with them (similar to Ibaka with the Clippers).

I'm not sure anyone was denying that he's a good player or that he can put up stats. There are lots of good players and guys who can put up stats. Harrell is a solid player, but Harrell is not a playmaker and he's not going to carry your offense and make things easier for others. I don't expect him to and don't fault him for that, he's not paid for that. The Lakers offense has had a terrible 101.2 Ortg since the game LeBron went down. It's expected, not enough playmaking and shooting.

Anyways, you were the one that made the claim that he carried them to another win without LeBron and AD, and I was simply letting you know that your claim was inaccurate. He had not carried them to any other wins without those two guys, it's not a debatable thing, it's just simply what has/has not happened, soo....
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#379 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:58 pm

og15 wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Great job by Trez, but we couldn’t have signed him for 2 years / $18 million, LOL. Trez took that lower contract in part to spite the Clippers. If he was re-signing with the Clippers the contract would be quite different.

10-13 23 pts 10 rebounds
8-13 20 pts, 8 rebounds

Yes, no doubt he was, but you keep repeating not re-signing Trez without acknowledging that he also wasn't resigned because of multiple chemistry issues, it was not simply an ability issue.

Talent doesn't just overcome chemistry problems, and chemistry can be a fragile thing. Clippers had his bird rights, they could offer him a bigger contract. He took a pay cut and went to the defending champs and cross hall rivals partly to spite the Clippers.

The Charlotte deal he turned down was likely at least 12-15 million year and possibly more years. I don't know exactly, but the Lakers only had the MLE, hence why he was capped at around $9 million a year if he was to sign with them (similar to Ibaka with the Clippers).

I'm not sure anyone was denying that he's a good player or that he can put up stats. There are lots of good players and guys who can put up stats. Harrell is a solid player, but Harrell is not a playmaker and he's not going to carry your offense and make things easier for others. I don't expect him to and don't fault him for that, he's not paid for that. The Lakers offense has had a terrible 101.2 Ortg since the game LeBron went down. It's expected, not enough playmaking and shooting.

Anyways, you were the one that made the claim that he carried them to another win without LeBron and AD, and I was simply letting you know that your claim was inaccurate. He had not carried them to any other wins without those two guys, it's not a debatable thing, it's just simply what has/has not happened, soo....

Ok not "another" win but he carried them last night. Did you watch the game at all? He looked outstanding, the stats don't do him justice.

And once again, Clippers didn't even offer him a deal!! That's the issue. way different if they had and turned him down, Trez was pissed and rightfully so.

And Monterz DOES make things easier for others by opening up the court for others. Look how awful our 2nd team looks at times this season. You really think him on this team would have amounted to nothing? Zu isn't a playmaker either, and Trez can easily carry a 2nd team offense as we see this year and last.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#380 » by RingColluder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Clemenza wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
og15 wrote:Great job by Trez, but we couldn’t have signed him for 2 years / $18 million, LOL. Trez took that lower contract in part to spite the Clippers. If he was re-signing with the Clippers the contract would be quite different.

10-13 23 pts 10 rebounds
8-13 20 pts, 8 rebounds

Trez could always score his ass off no matter what but he puts up a lot of empty stats as well. He's a black hole on offense and doesn't play much D. He wasn't playing 4th quarters like he did with us until Bron and AD went down. Laker fans don't even talk this good about him. Evidently the team isn't feelin' him nor his production since they had him on the trade block for a 35 year old overrated guard from Toronto. Just sayin'

If Trez is a black hole on offense, not sure what that makes pretty much every single player on our 2nd team lineup :lol: :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers