ImageImageImageImage

Nikola Vucevic Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Magicmehdi
Bench Warmer
And1: 7

Re: Nikola Vucevic Appreciation Thread 

Post#81 » by Magicmehdi » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 pm

I haven't posted something since 2011, yes 10 years already, but I wanted to pay tribute to Vucevic, the only player who has thrilled me since the finals in 2009 (where I traveled from Belgium to attend the victory in the 3rd game against the Lakers) and that I have seen progress each year to become the player he is today. Seeing the video above hurts me because we finally had a loyal player who wanted more than anything to finish his career under our colors and in our city.

I knew him as a kid when he was playing in my club in Brussels (at the time when his father was a professional player in Belgium) of which I have been the president several years ago and where Nikola shone by his talent, his kindness, his humility, his comradeship and his love of basketball.

It was time to start (again) the process from scratch, to completely rebuild the team and trading Vucevic was necessary but what a pain!

I hope that he will continue to flourish despite the fact that he joined the team I hated in the mid-90s for an obvious reason. I also hope that our management will finally prove that they know how to build a promising team and especially that they know how to draft good players. If not, let's start over again, but starting with the management of the club.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#82 » by NEM » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:48 pm

Man, that video is hard to watch. Not gonna lie, brings you on the brink of tears.

Like I said earlier, it was the right move and I’ve said for a few months now that we need to put him in a better situation because it was clear this team was maxed out as currently constructed at the time. Didn’t wanna waste what was left of his prime going trough another rebuild. It does seem as though he had input and was amenable to a trade, which makes this somewhat easier to accept. Most loyal player we ever had.

From what I remember, Nick Anderson had similar emotions when we traded him to Sacramento, though I was very young (8 or 9) when it happened, so my memory is a bit cloudy. This feels like that in a way.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Rockzin4
Junior
And1: 182

Post#83 » by Rockzin4 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:18 pm

My favorite player out of the Hennigan guys for sure. He truly loved the team and community. On the court he’s improved so much in every way. Offensively, defensively, and even made the players around him better - which is super rare in this league. Super bummed. I wish him the best in Chicago.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#84 » by SD2042 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:29 pm

What's to be said here. I honestly didn't want Vuce to leave just yet. He was one of the bright players on the Magic for the last 8-9 years. He grew up and became his own player with this team. Through hell and back, Vuce made the best of his opportunities. I know he had his critics and fans alike. That's the way it goes in the life of a NBA player. He made two well earned All-Star appearances. He recently participated in the NBA All Star skills challenge. Vuce put in work and wanted the Magic to succeed. He was a respected Magic player on and off the court. Nikola Vucevic Magic #9. Thanks for being part of the Magic fam. Good luck as you move on to the Windy City of Chicago and hopefully your third time going to the playoffs.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#85 » by Ducklett » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:32 pm

I wonder if I can find a cheap Vucevic Magic Jersey somewhere. Any ideas?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#86 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:33 pm

I really think after time, Vuc will look at this as a positive. Chicago has a bright future. They can clear enough cap to sign a max guy next season or maybe they'll sign Fournier. Plus I think Vuc will get some endorsements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#87 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Ducklett wrote:I wonder if I can find a cheap Vucevic Magic Jersey somewhere. Any ideas?
Probably too quick for them to be on sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#88 » by MagicTownBaller » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:43 pm

Why isn't this thread still stickied? We have the Cole Anthony thread still up but not for the Vucevic appreciation thread?
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#89 » by zuppafly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:53 pm

This franchise needs to bring him back whenever he wants to retire and let go the silly rule of not retiring jerseys.
#9 needs to be up there.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 406

Post#90 » by MagicTownBaller » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:09 am

zuppafly wrote:This franchise needs to bring him back whenever he wants to retire him and let go the silly rule of not retiring jerseys.
#9 needs to be up there.

If Vucevic's jersey is not retired, then Orlando doesn't deserve anything. Full loyalty, 2 time all star, 9 seasons with us, didn't even request to be traded. He fits all of it.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#91 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:59 am

What did this organization do to our Nikola Vučević ?!?!?!? :banghead: :banghead:

[img]
Read on Twitter
[/img]

These bums broke Vuc's heart and spit on his soul. They literally drove him outta town and left him no choice but to accept (not welcome or request!!!) the stupid trade.

I know all people over here are feeling enthusiastic and upbeat. All of us should be feeling hopeful and happy about the fact that this organization and roster finally has a clearly defined path forward in its development. I totally share the same view and hopes, but...

This is our VUC we're talking about. We should have treated him better, from the fans to the organization.
There were stupid coaches like Vogel who decided it is a good idea to bench the future all-star and probably one of the best Magic man in club's history all time...for freaking Bismack Biyombo goooddamnit.

Sure, the Magic organization rewarded Vuc's effort 2 years ago with that fat contract that was more than well deserved. But...we should have treated him better. This franchise should have really tried not to screw up the first or second or third rebuild of the rebuilds and so on.

And now, the magic left him hanging and drove him out of Orlando in this lopsided trade for Otto Porter Jr. and Wendell Carter. Yes, the Bulls 1st round pick is fine, but it does not guarantee us anything.

I'm perfectly aware that this is business and business above all. But we should have treated Vuc a lot better. He gave us all he had, he "came in as a kid and left as a man" by his own words. He was always professional in every way. Never created any problems for the team, for the coaches or the franchise. He was always positive and professional in everything he did - from interviews to community work and performance on the court.

He always showed up in great shape after disappointing losing (tanking) seasons of messed-up drafts and trades during the Henny and Weltman eras. Always in shape, never injured or overweight. He took great care of his body and played his heart out for the Magic. He was extremely loyal to the club and project, loyal to the process when it almost never made any sense, but still loyal.

Just imagine those nightmare years after the Dwightmare and during the Hennigan tenure...just imagine those years without Vucevic. It would have been unbearable, at least for me, a die-hard Magic fan since 1993.

Maybe I'm just too emotional in my reaction after I saw the Vuc video in the Bulls sweater with their logo. I always knew this time will come and we'll miss Nik, but maaan it hurts! It just broke my heart seeing our guy in tears and lost for words when Orlando and the Magic is on his mind. He couldn't even mention the name, he was so emotional and nostalgic.

I just needed to get this out of my system and share it with you guys, Magic basketball.

We should have treated Nikola Vučević better and kept him for the rest of his career with us. He would have liked that and would have never rejected such a plan.

We should have treated Vuc better...
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,172

Post#92 » by Kent » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:06 am

MagicTownBaller wrote:
zuppafly wrote:This franchise needs to bring him back whenever he wants to retire him and let go the silly rule of not retiring jerseys.
#9 needs to be up there.

If Vucevic's jersey is not retired, then Orlando doesn't deserve anything. Full loyalty, 2 time all star, 9 seasons with us, didn't even request to be traded. He fits all of it.

There are players on other teams who have their jerseys retired for less.

He's unquestionably a lock for the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame at the very least.

Of all the great Magic players who left via trade or free agency, I don't think there's one besides Vooch who left with the same kind of mutual love at the time of his departure.

Mayyyybe Nick Anderson, but there are a lot of people who think of those free throws and the what-if.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#93 » by Audi » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:What did this organization do to our Nikola Vučević ?!?!?!? :banghead: :banghead:

[img]
Read on Twitter
[/img]

These bums broke Vuc's heart and spit on his soul. They literally drove him outta town and left him no choice but to accept (not welcome or request!!!) the stupid trade.

I know all people over here are feeling enthusiastic and upbeat. All of us should be feeling hopeful and happy about the fact that this organization and roster finally has a clearly defined path forward in its development. I totally share the same view and hopes, but...

This is our VUC we're talking about. We should have treated him better, from the fans to the organization.
There were stupid coaches like Vogel who decided it is a good idea to bench the future all-star and probably one of the best Magic man in club's history all time...for freaking Bismack Biyombo goooddamnit.

Sure, the Magic organization rewarded Vuc's effort 2 years ago with that fat contract that was more than well deserved. But...we should have treated him better. This franchise should have really tried not to screw up the first or second or third rebuild of the rebuilds and so on.

And now, the magic left him hanging and drove him out of Orlando in this lopsided trade for Otto Porter Jr. and Wendell Carter. Yes, the Bulls 1st round pick is fine, but it does not guarantee us anything.

I'm perfectly aware that this is business and business above all. But we should have treated Vuc a lot better. He gave us all he had, he "came in as a kid and left as a man" by his own words. He was always professional in every way. Never created any problems for the team, for the coaches or the franchise He was always positive and professional in everything he did - from interviews to community work and performance on the court.

He always showed up in great shape after disappointing losing (tanking) seasons of messed-up drafts and trades during the Henny and Weltman eras. Always in shape, never injured or overweight. He took great care of his body and played his heart out for the Magic. He was extremely loyal to the club and project, loyal to the process when it almost never made any sense, but still loyal

Just imagine those nightmare years after the Dwightmare and during the Hennigan tenure...just imagine those years without Vucevic. It would have been unbearable, at least for me, a die-hard Magic fan since 1993.

Maybe I'm just too emotional in my reaction after I saw the Vuc video in the Bulls sweater with their logo. I always knew this time will come and we'll miss Nik, but maaan it hurts! It just broke my heart seeing our guy in tears and lost for words when Orlando and the Magic is on his mind. He couldn't even mention the name, he was so emotional and nostalgic.

I just needed to get this out of my system and share it with you guys, Magic basketball.

We should have treated Nikola Vučević better and kept him for the rest of his career with us. He would have liked that and would have never rejected such a plan.

Hold up. Treat him better? We (the fans) have made Vuc a freaking multi-millionaire. Securing his family for generations. Part of that deal was that he work to bring ORL what we ultimately want - a championship. Love the guy. A legendary player. But he couldn’t take us there. I highly doubt he would look back on our treatment of him with anything but a fond smile on his face.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 813

Post#94 » by fateis007 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:14 am

sad to see vooch go, i would have been ok with just cutting ross,aminu,fournier, and gordan and keeping him. it would be nice to see someone retire here for once.
Kent
Veteran

Post#95 » by Kent » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:15 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:What did this organization do to our Nikola Vučević ?!?!?!? :banghead: :banghead:

I know it hurts, bro.

But it's not like we traded him to the Kings (with respect to their fans).

We also don't know what kind of conversations Vooch and the FO had this week or the last few years, for that matter.

They kept him longer than any other FO would, to the chagrin of some around these parts.

Bottom line, his contributions, attitude and service will never be forgotten or disregarded. If anything, he will be more appreciated by fans post-trade.

Now he has a chance to get out of the first round with another all-star.

He will be more than fine and we'll take him back with open arms in some form or fashion when his career is all said and done by honoring what he's meant to this franchise via the team's own hall of fame, a jersey retirement or even a job. Heck, maybe even a combination of those.
-LBPTarHeel27
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#96 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 am

Kent wrote:

I know it hurts, bro.

We also don't know what kind of conversations Vooch and the FO had this week or the last few years, for that matter.

They kept him longer than any other FO would, to the chagrin of some around these parts.

Bottom line, his contributions, attitude and service will never be forgotten or disregarded. If anything, he will be more appreciated by fans post-trade.

He will be more than fine and we'll take him back with open arms in some form or fashion when his career is all said and done by honoring what he's meant to this franchise via the team's own hall of fame, a jersey retirement or even a job. Heck, maybe even a combination of those.

I don't think he has any animosity towards the organization at all.... He can still appreciate the future and still have the emotional attachment to the past. Its like you being transferred to another location but still missing the people that you he'd your lives.

Lawd knows I'ma miss the big fella.... But no joke.... They better retire his jersey number when the opportunity arises. ****.... Do it next season in a tribute game. Lol.

Good luck vuc... I'll be rooting for you man!
Kent
Veteran

Post#97 » by Kent » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:30 am

yoyojw17 wrote:
Kent wrote:

I know it hurts, bro.

I don't think he has any animosity towards the organization at all.... He can still appreciate the future and still have the emotional attachment to the past. Its like you being transferred to another location but still missing the people that you he'd your lives.

Lawd knows I'ma miss the big fella.... But no joke.... They better retire his jersey number when the opportunity arises. ****.... Do it next season in a tribute game. Lol.

Good luck vuc... I'll be rooting for you man!

That "Thank You, Vooch" video they give him when he's back in town to play the Magic is going to be a moment.
-LBPTarHeel27
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#98 » by fendilim » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:42 am

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#99 » by thelead » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:48 am

[img]
Read on Twitter
[/img]

I'm perfectly aware that this is business and business above all. But we should have treated Vuc a lot better. He gave us all he had, he "came in as a kid and left as a man" by his own words. He was always professional in every way. Never created any problems for the team, for the coaches or the franchise He was always positive and professional in everything he did - from interviews to community work and performance on the court.

He always showed up in great shape after disappointing losing (tanking) seasons of messed-up drafts and trades during the Henny and Weltman eras. Always in shape, never injured or overweight. He took great care of his body and played his heart out for the Magic. He was extremely loyal to the club and project, loyal to the process when it almost never made any sense, but still loyal

Dude... it is sad for him but jesus... step off the ledge. That was a lot of effort that went into a post for someone you likely don't even personally know. Take it down a few pegs. It's not that serious. He got traded, not killed. He will still be welcomed here.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#100 » by Xatticus » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:00 am

thelead wrote:

[img]
Read on Twitter
[/img]

Dude... it is sad for him but jesus... step off the ledge. That was a lot of effort that went into a post for someone you likely don't even personally know. Take it down a few pegs. It's not that serious. He got traded, not killed. He will still be welcomed here.

Vuc died for our sins.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991

Return to Orlando Magic