Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge parting ways 

Post#61 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:37 am

Didnt people think Batum was done before the season started?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#62 » by d-train » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:07 am

Batum is as good as he ever was. The difference is nobody is holding out hope he can get better. He always had enough talent to tease you with hope.

LMA has lost a step. He's still a good player, but is he worth it. Is he going to be a hardworking veteran that does all the little things to make his team good? Because, it would be the first appearance of that LMA.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#63 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:39 pm

I was all in for signing Batum. Never thought he fell off due to age, he just was stuck in a situation where he was asked and expected to be a player he isnt close to being. As a 5th starter, 3/D guy with a nice handle, he is ideal. This roster with Batum in place of DJJ is at least a bit better.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,461

Post#64 » by Pattycakes » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:39 am

As bad as I wanted Wesley, Nic and LA to all come back, LA is the only one we REALLY need in that bunch. Been actually surprised with Melo, pleasantly lately, but this team isn’t going anywhere with him and the always injured project Zach Attack being our only options at the 4. Roco is dope, but this team shouldn’t need him playing 3 different positions, it limits him if anything imo
d-train
RealGM

Post#65 » by d-train » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:41 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I was all in for signing Batum. Never thought he fell off due to age, he just was stuck in a situation where he was asked and expected to be a player he isnt close to being. As a 5th starter, 3/D guy with a nice handle, he is ideal. This roster with Batum in place of DJJ is at least a bit better.

Hard to say who is better between DJJ and Batum. Batum has a more rounded game. DJJ is higher energy and of a big play defender. I like whoever wants to contribute what Stotts asks. DJJ seems the most qualified. I don't remember Batum's history as all good times.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Chad Doing and Dwight Jaynes just said Aldridge is reported to be going to Miami after he is bought out.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#67 » by DusterBuster » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Chad Doing and Dwight Jaynes just said Aldridge is reported to be going to Miami after he is bought out.

It's been a pretty poorly kept secret that's where he's going.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Post#68 » by JasonStern » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:27 pm

Read on Twitter

No real surprise there. I'm hoping Otto Porter Jr. gets bought out and the Blazers can land him. Or failing that, bring back Skal Labissière.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,426

Post#69 » by Myth » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:13 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

No real surprise there. I'm hoping Otto Porter Jr. gets bought out and the Blazers can land him. Or failing that, bring back Skal Labissière.

Porter bought out would be ideal. Any speculation that it may actually happen?
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#70 » by JasonStern » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Myth wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Porter bought out would be ideal. Any speculation that it may actually happen?

Pure speculation at this point:

https://theathletic.com/2477363/2021/03/25/nba-buyout-market-otto-porter-lamarcus-aldridge-andre-drummond-and-15-other-names-to-watch/
(Subscription required)
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#71 » by Norm2953 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm

How much do you want to bet none of the top 6 buyout players really considers Portland?

I always find it amusing all those guys automatically gravitate towards who they perceive
the contenders for the Otto Porter's of the world will always look at the Lakers first despite
Lebron while the teams like Portland usually end up with the G league guys.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#72 » by JasonStern » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Post-Blazers Aldridge making it hard to remember and respect Blazers-era Aldridge. /sigh

But to be fair, the Blazers could have landed Harden. We just liked our pieces better. /double sigh

Norm2953 wrote:How much do you want to bet none of the top 6 buyout players really considers Portland?

Huge difference between considering and actually signing. I have no doubt that Aldridge considered playing out the rest of his career with Portland before deciding he wanted to win a ring more.
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#73 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 am

Curse of Death for the Nets. 76ers and Bucks should be happier.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#74 » by GEE » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:38 am

None of us will ever really know, just how sour those grapes were after LA left for SA, and it's entirely possible that Olshey never really wanted him back that much.

There may be many factors in LAs "Decision", but PT is likely the biggest reason for him not to choose us. Not sure he gets that guarantee of where he would be in the rotation, if at all, and I'm not sure I would want him on the floor, over Nurkic and Kanter anyway. Coming back to retire a Blazer IS a nice idea still maybe, but as someone pointed out, chasing the ring and going to the team that he thinks gives him the best shot, is clearly where his head is at. No other reason for him to choose the Nets.

Makes his words about returning to Portland sound pretty empty if you ask me... unless it it's a matter of him wanting to, but he simply just burned the bridge when he left us. Again, none of us will ever really know for sure.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#75 » by monopoman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 am

I mean it's a pretty tough pill for him to swallow to be 3rd on our depth chart of C's and as others have said his PF days are behind him mostly. Coming to Portland would put him on the bench seeing spotty minutes as a backup in case Kanter or Nurkic miss some games.

I have a feeling if we had a serious role for him on this team he would without hesitation take a contract here.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Don't have to worry about Aldridge any longer, he's going to Brooklyn.

The league really needs to figure out how to stop players from creating their own "super" teams. The league would be much more enjoyable if there was parity amongst all teams rather than having 2-3 super teams.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#77 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:47 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Don't have to worry about Aldridge any longer, he's going to Brooklyn.

The league really needs to figure out how to stop players from creating their own "super" teams. The league would be much more enjoyable if there was parity amongst all teams rather than having 2-3 super teams.

There is a simple solution to almost every problem. Allowing teams unrestricted bidding for individual players would solve the problem of players creating superteams. Player created superteams is a byproduct of players having no financial insensitive to go to the team that needs them most.

Players have agreed to cap their salaries at a percentage of revenue. This should be the end of players sacrifice to competitive balance of the league. It's a shame owners are too greedy to clean up their act. Owners rather implement restrictions that waste the financial sacrifice made by players to promote competitive parity.
d-train
RealGM

Post#78 » by d-train » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Marquese Chriss was waived. If being big and athletic can help an NBA team win, he would be a bargain at almost any price. Obviously, size and athleticism isn't worth much unless it's used right.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:57 pm

I'd take a flier on him. He's somewhat talented, but a bonehead. If any organization can help a guy in that regard, it's the Blazers and Lillard. He'd help shore up that backup PF position if Collins doesn't return. Even if Collins returns, you now have Jones Jr, Collins, and Chriss to go up against Anthony Davis in the playoffs. Nurk and Kanter can team up to go against Gasol and Drummond. Covington, Melo, and Little can go against LeBron. That's a lot of fouls to pass around. I'll take our backcourt against the Lakers backcourt any day of the week.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#80 » by JasonStern » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 pm

You two realize that Marquese Chriss suffered a fractured right fibula and was waived because he's most likely done for the season, right?

Could be an interesting off-season signing, though. The Blazers haven't signed an injured Warriors big since Ezeli.
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers