Jarrell Brantley

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Jarrell Brantley 

Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:21 am

He’s younger, stronger, and has more upside than Niang, why isn’t he getting more burn?
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Jarrell Brantley 

Post#2 » by stitches » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:43 am

He's very wild and frantic. I don't think he knows how to play the game and this is one thing that Quin doesn't seem to tolarate.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#3 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:19 pm

I think Brantley's shooting is what's holding him back with the Jazz. Plain and simple, the Jazz want floor spacing in order to unlock their drives and pick-and-roll game. Donovan, Jordan, Joe and Rudy are able to do what they do because the floor is perfectly spaced. They trust Georges Niang's gravity as a shooter and don't trust Brantley's.

If Jarrell could focus on defense, rebounding and moving the ball, he wouldn't be far from playing a Jae Crowder or Paul Millsap-type role for the Jazz. But that said, the Jazz had Jae Crowder and traded him out because today's Jazz places a premium on shooting.

Look at the Jazz's personnel decisions--they want Georges Niang and Matt Thomas. Shooting seems to be priority #1.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:46 pm

He shot 33% from 3 last year in the G League. I’ll take defense and hustle with okay shooting over Niang.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#5 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:48 pm

If we won’t play him reassign him to the G League to improve, end of the bench when you’re more talented than the 9th guy is dumb.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#6 » by Catchall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:56 pm

I'd like to see him get worked into the rotation. I think we need his energy and physicality.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 pm

Guy is a beast.
Ingles is cooked.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#9 » by D Rog » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:46 pm

I think the Jazz could use Brantley's physical type of play but he hasn't broken into the rotation. Quin would put him in the rotation if he had confidence in him and felt he was better than Niang. I wonder if the Jazz find somebody in the buy out market who will they cut to make room on the team? Brantley? Since he is on a 2 way contract does it have to be somebody else?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:06 pm

D Rog wrote:I think the Jazz could use Brantley's physical type of play but he hasn't broken into the rotation. Quin would put him in the rotation if he had confidence in him and felt he was better than Niang. I wonder if the Jazz find somebody in the buy out market who will they cut to make room on the team? Brantley? Since he is on a 2 way contract does it have to be somebody else?

Any buyout we will add will be on the vet min, vets can’t sign 2 ways.
Ingles is cooked.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#11 » by Catchall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:28 am

D Rog wrote:I think the Jazz could use Brantley's physical type of play but he hasn't broken into the rotation. Quin would put him in the rotation if he had confidence in him and felt he was better than Niang. I wonder if the Jazz find somebody in the buy out market who will they cut to make room on the team? Brantley? Since he is on a 2 way contract does it have to be somebody else?

I think the Jazz are all in on shooting 3s and playing in pick-and-roll with our bigs. Guys have to fit one archetype or the other, so it seems, and Brantley isn't the knock-down shooter or the pick-and-roll creator like our guards. That makes him a situational player.

That said, I have no idea why they brought in Ilyasova.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#12 » by Charlie_S » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 am

As you said, two-way contracts don't count. If they get someone on the buyout market I think it's almost a given that Morgan gets cut. Wouldn't make much sense to waive Ilyasova or Thomas as they just brought them in.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#13 » by D Rog » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Catchall wrote:

I think the Jazz are all in on shooting 3s and playing in pick-and-roll with our bigs. Guys have to fit one archetype or the other, so it seems, and Brantley isn't the knock-down shooter or the pick-and-roll creator like our guards. That makes him a situational player.

That said, I have no idea why they brought in Ilyasova.

Agree 100%. I think Ilyasova was signed ahead of the trade deadline so the Jazz could say they added a big wing in case they couldn't get one in a trade or in the buy out market. If Otto Porter or somebody similar is available in the buy out market Ilyasova is probably the guy I let go (or Matt Thomas). I probably would have used the 14th roster spot on a 3rd big (I don't see Illyasova as the 3rd big and I don't think Juwan Morgan is either). Granted, if you need your 3rd big for more than 1 or 2 games in the playoffs your season is probably done but you are gambling on Favors and Gobert remaining healthy,

Return to Utah Jazz