ImageImageImage

Game 45: The Battle of the Bridges: Phoenix Suns (30-14) @ Charlotte Hornets (23-21) l Sunday l 10:00am l FSNAZ

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Re: Game 45: The Battle of the Bridges: Phoenix Suns (30-14) @ Charlotte Hornets (23-21) l Sunday l 10:00am l FSNAZ 

Post#301 » by spanishninja » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:41 pm

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I think we should get a top 5 seed. I think the Lakers are 6th. Might be best for us if we get 4/5 since we don't have the size for the Lakers. If we can get Denver or Portland in a 4/5 matchup that might be ideal...then if we can somehow advance meet the Jazz. I think these will be the best barometers for us since our teams are all around the same age....though in a few years we may drop off unless we've addressed PG.

538 has the Clippers as the best chance of winning the finals 22%, with the Nets at 19%. It has us at 5%.

I wish the playoffs started today with us getting the Spurs in first round. This should be a win and this team needs all the experience they can get, so making it to the second is important. Playing the Clippers/Blazers in 2nd round is fine for me as well. George can really suck in playoff games and from all the stars I probably like Mikal defending Kawhi 1-on-1 the most as he's not giving him that much trouble with speed or using screens all the time like Doncic for example. From 2nd round on every win is a bonus to me .

If the regular season ended today, we would have the play-in and the Mavs would most likely take the 7th seed (with Spurs having to play the winner of Memphis and Golden State). That's an interesting wrinkle with the play-in tourney this time around. The 2nd seed actually gets to game plan for their first round a bit sooner as it takes two "rounds" of play-in to determine the 8th seed.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Re: Game 45: The Battle of the Bridges: Phoenix Suns (30-14) @ Charlotte Hornets (23-21) l Sunday l 10:00am l FSNAZ 

Post#302 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:43 pm

sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:I think its fair to bring up the absence of Monk and Ball, since they accounted for 49 points and 11 assists the last time we played them. That is between 71-82 out of their 124 points.

The Suns were missing Jae, CJ and Saric, Paul and Booker combined for 4 assists and 7 turnovers, which is not typical as well. Graham replicated what Monk did in the previous game and basketball is not about summing numbers this way in general.

Jae, CJ, and Saric played in both games against Charlotte. So you are saying its not fair to mention they lacked their top two scorers from the last meeting, one with 8 assists? Why?

But mentioning Char missing Graham in the first meeting and loss, does make that loss even worse. I guess we were just super lucky to squeak out a win this time. :wink:
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#303 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:55 pm

spanishninja wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I think we should get a top 5 seed. I think the Lakers are 6th. Might be best for us if we get 4/5 since we don't have the size for the Lakers. If we can get Denver or Portland in a 4/5 matchup that might be ideal...then if we can somehow advance meet the Jazz. I think these will be the best barometers for us since our teams are all around the same age....though in a few years we may drop off unless we've addressed PG.

538 has the Clippers as the best chance of winning the finals 22%, with the Nets at 19%. It has us at 5%.

I wish the playoffs started today with us getting the Spurs in first round. This should be a win and this team needs all the experience they can get, so making it to the second is important. Playing the Clippers/Blazers in 2nd round is fine for me as well. George can really suck in playoff games and from all the stars I probably like Mikal defending Kawhi 1-on-1 the most as he's not giving him that much trouble with speed or using screens all the time like Doncic for example. From 2nd round on every win is a bonus to me .

If the regular season ended today, we would have the play-in and the Mavs would most likely take the 7th seed (with Spurs having to play the winner of Memphis and Golden State). That's an interesting wrinkle with the play-in tourney this time around. The 2nd seed actually gets to game plan for their first round a bit sooner as it takes two "rounds" of play-in to determine the 8th seed.

Wouldn't that be worse for the first and second seeded teams, because they would have to start planning for two possible teams, and the first seed possibly three teams? The other bad part is those teams could have momentum wins going into the playoffs.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,036

Post#304 » by sunsbg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:14 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:I think its fair to bring up the absence of Monk and Ball, since they accounted for 49 points and 11 assists the last time we played them. That is between 71-82 out of their 124 points.

The Suns were missing Jae, CJ and Saric, Paul and Booker combined for 4 assists and 7 turnovers, which is not typical as well. Graham replicated what Monk did in the previous game and basketball is not about summing numbers this way in general.

Jae, CJ, and Saric played in both games against Charlotte. So you are saying its not fair to mention they lacked their top two scorers from the last meeting, one with 8 assists? Why?

Just saying if we are going to find excuses for other teams than there are plenty for our team in this game as well. Those who complain we beat a team with injuries would also say that our team should be able to win when Suns players are missing as this is normal stuff. It's funny as people will always find a reason to complain - when we don't win by having injured players, but also point out we are not that good, simply lucky to be at the top because of the lack of injuries.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#305 » by King4Day » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:16 pm

NBA radio praising the Suns for the grind out win yesterday. I think they don't see things how we do. They also recognize that good teams lose to bad teams all the time. We only focus on ourselves
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#306 » by pj0tr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Adrao wrote:We are not contenders and the last two matches showed it.

Just LOL at this attitude.

We haven't been to the playoffs in 10+ years.

Good lord.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#307 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:27 pm

sunsbg wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Just saying if we are going to find excuses for other teams than there are plenty for our team in this game as well. Those who complain we beat a team with injuries would also say that our team should be able to win when Suns players are missing as this is normal stuff. It's funny as people will always find a reason to complain - when we don't win by having injured players, but also point out we are not that good, simply lucky to be at the top because of the lack of injuries.

I wasn't complaining nor making excuses. I am simply stating that we have to put away teams that we are better than, with no excuses. We barely beat a team with two of their top scorers from a previous loss, we shouldn't have had either. Losing to teams we should beat is very concerning going down the stretch when teams will be playing tougher. There just isn't room in the seeding for guys to basically take the night off, let alone 4-5 guys. We also can't have middle bench guys bricking things up. Jae missed 9 shots, and took 9 shots. I guess I am just thankful we had Craig. :wink:

Side note, we made only one basket in overtime. :o This team has to play better, if they want to go far in the playoffs.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#308 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm

King4Day wrote:NBA radio praising the Suns for the grind out win yesterday. I think they don't see things how we do. They also recognize that good teams lose to bad teams all the time. We only focus on ourselves

I can accept that good teams lose to bad teams all the time. I just think the many losses to some of the worst teams in the league will hurt us going into the playoffs. And while I am happy we will most likely make the playoffs, it shouldn't mean i should be also happy with how we play getting there. We have a very good team. We can't lose to the worst teams in the league as often as we have, especially when those teams are also short handed.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#309 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:35 pm

pj0tr wrote:
Adrao wrote:We are not contenders and the last two matches showed it.

Just LOL at this attitude.

We haven't been to the playoffs in 10+ years.

Good lord.

I am sure that is what Monty tells them all the time. :wink:
pj0tr
Rookie
And1: 1,312

Post#310 » by pj0tr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:39 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
King4Day wrote:NBA radio praising the Suns for the grind out win yesterday. I think they don't see things how we do. They also recognize that good teams lose to bad teams all the time. We only focus on ourselves

I can accept that good teams lose to bad teams all the time. I just think the many losses to some of the worst teams in the league will hurt us going into the playoffs. And while I am happy we will most likely make the playoffs, it shouldn't mean i should be also happy with how we play getting there. We have a very good team. We can't lose to the worst teams in the league as often as we have, especially when those teams are also short handed.

DeAndre Ayton is 22
Devin Booker is 24
Mikal Bridges is 24
Cam Johnson is 25
Cam Payne is 26
Dario Saric is 26

CP3 and Crowder are the only players on this roster who have experienced success deep into the playoffs.

A young team has to take its lumps and grow to learn how to play in situations like yesterday.

Look at the Philadelphia team Saric was on a few years back when they lost to Boston in the East Semis - they had the same problem of closing those games, EXCEPT they didn't have CP3 and Crowder - 2 veteran leaders that have been in those situations.

Yall act like this Suns team is supposed to easily make a leap from trying to make the playoffs in the Bubble to being a top 2-3 team in the West. What they have done so far has been absolutely remarkable.

The Suns were NOT supposed to be this good this quickly, which is an attribute to just how amazing of a job the coaching staff and the young core has done this year.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#311 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:45 pm

pj0tr wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:

DeAndre Ayton is 22
Devin Booker is 24
Mikal Bridges is 24
Cam Johnson is 25
Cam Payne is 26
Dario Saric is 26

CP3 and Crowder are the only players on this roster who have experienced success deep into the playoffs.

A young team has to take its lumps and grow to learn how to play in situations like yesterday.

Look at the Philadelphia team Saric was on a few years back when they lost to Boston in the East Semis - they had the same problem of closing those games, EXCEPT they didn't have CP3 and Crowder - 2 veteran leaders that have been in those situations.

Yall act like this Suns team is supposed to easily make a leap from trying to make the playoffs in the Bubble to being a top 2-3 team in the West. What they have done so far has been absolutely remarkable.

The Suns were NOT supposed to be this good this quickly, which is an attribute to just how amazing of a job the coaching staff and the young core has done this year.

We have good players, why should we expect them to play well on a nightly basis? :roll:
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#312 » by cberry78 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Good teams lose to bad teams ALL the time.

The 73-9 2015-16 Warriors suffered their first loss to the 10-15 Bucks. They lost the first game post All-Star break that year to the 28-27 Blazers by 32 points. They lost 2 out of 3 games on 2 separate occasions that year. And they were still the best team in the league, one of the greatest teams ever.

The 95-96 Bulls went 72-10. They lost 2 in a row (the second one to the Suns!) and suffered a 32 point beat down to the Knicks.

Good teams lost to bad teams ALL the time. Chill the F out people.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#313 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:14 pm

cberry78 wrote:Good teams lose to bad teams ALL the time.

The 73-9 2015-16 Warriors suffered their first loss to the 10-15 Bucks. They lost the first game post All-Star break that year to the 28-27 Blazers by 32 points. They lost 2 out of 3 games on 2 separate occasions that year. And they were still the best team in the league, one of the greatest teams ever.

The 95-96 Bulls went 72-10. They lost 2 in a row (the second one to the Suns!) and suffered a 32 point beat down to the Knicks.

And I am sure their fans and coaches found those losses unacceptable.

There is nothing wrong with expecting this group of guys to beat teams they should. Moreover, these losses can affect our seeding, and overall playoff position. the teams below us are good teams as well, and if given a chance, will happily take our spot.

There are many things to be concerned about. Example, the overtime loss to Detroit. Galloway gets 17 points in the second period, and then plays 2:58 the remaining game. We often sit the hot hand, and play fourth quarters in iso plays, when we do so much better when we play together.

I think we all agree we have a good team. They can't lose to bottom feeder teams and expect to go far in the playoffs. And that is on everyone, including coaching.
Side note: I would not be concerned if we had Jordan and Pippin. :wink:
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#314 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 pm

Good thing I didn't bring up that teams below us got better and sured up holes on their team.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,149

Post#315 » by spanishninja » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:34 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

Wouldn't that be worse for the first and second seeded teams, because they would have to start planning for two possible teams, and the first seed possibly three teams? The other bad part is those teams could have momentum wins going into the playoffs.

I mean the 2nd seed gets to plan for playoffs sooner than the 1st seed, but yes, seeds 3-6 get a head start. Kind of weird if you ask me.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam

Post#316 » by RunDogGun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:42 pm

spanishninja wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
spanishninja wrote:

I mean the 2nd seed gets to plan for playoffs sooner than the 1st seed, but yes, seeds 3-6 get a head start. Kind of weird if you ask me.

I like it, because it gives a rare possibility for teams just outside the playoffs, which might have just had too many injuries or Covid protocol to deal with. It would be better if there was no conferences, and the top 16 teams went in.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#317 » by TouchPassDario » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:57 pm

Keith_myath wrote:
TouchPassDario wrote:Booker ... have long track records of clutch performance.

Subtle troll is subtle.

Flog off, muppet.

Wat.

Booker is a good clutch player. Made a bunch of game winners and big shots in tight games due to his tough shot making ability.

You’re seeing ghosts, friend.
TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Post#318 » by TouchPassDario » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:58 pm

cberry78 wrote:Good teams lose to bad teams ALL the time.

Yup. We beat the Bucks and Warriors in 2019.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#319 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:25 pm

My impression is that there's been less .5 played recently and its affecting open looks:

Last 5 games 3 point %
Saric 0
Paul 16
Payne 16
Bridges 26
Booker 29
Johnson 31
Crowder 31
Galloway 33
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#320 » by bwgood77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:56 pm

Revived wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:
TouchPassDario wrote:We are 3rd in SRS. Pipe down, children.

That's all nice and dandy but this team is far from perfect despite being 3rd in SRS. The last two games showed how fragile Book & CP3 were down the stretch. I expect that from a young Booker whose been on losing squads his whole nba career but not from our floor general in CP3. Both were missing shots and committing stupid to's. But I believe this last few games are on Monty and he better change things up if another close game comes within the horizon.

I don’t think SRS takes into account how lucky a team is with health either.

CP3 has been huge for us this season obviously but he’s been showing his age a bit in the games after the All Star break.

Teams have watched Suns tape from the 1st half and adjusted in terms of how to defend us especially in 4th QTRs. Now Monty has to step up and make counter adjustments. These close wins and awful losses after the all star break to bad teams has to be concerning.

One way to look at how teams are performing in the clutch and/or winning games they should is to look at this....it shows your RPI, margin of victory, schedule and based on all that, what your Expected Wins and Losses are (EWL). If you see, we have won 2 fewer games than we should have, but look at Portland's record vs their EWL

http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

Return to Phoenix Suns