ImageImageImage

Our road back to the top

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Our road back to the top 

Post#1 » by Ernest » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:13 am

Let's say we have a crystal ball that sees the future and tells us we win a title in the next 5 years. How did it happen? What did we do? Whats your plan long term for this team?

I don't see a player so much better than Tatum or Brown being traded any time soon so I'm looking at our future with them. I value Smart very high so I'll keep him too.

If we look at the money we have Kemba, TT, Fournier (either resigned or sign and traded) to work with. If those contracts all run out we are pretty limited. So in my mind the goal has to be how to turn some of those contracts into a star that can win a title with Tatum Brown and Smart. I guess you could trade one of those 3 as well if the trade was good enough.

Whats not clear right now is who that target star is. In the past KG was an obvious target. He was great and going no where in Minny. If we assume we need a big, it's hard to see a star big that's not on a good team right now.

Anyways what are you guy's thoughts long term?
AKFO
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,734

Re: Our road back to the top 

Post#2 » by AKFO » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:57 am

Before the deadline I'd say if we somehow unloaded Kemba we could have max cap space in '23 when Beal becomes a free agent. Now though, I doubt Fournier is off the books by then.

Tatum and/or Jaylen could take big leaps, but we probably need an elite big (Rob?) and/or an elite play finisher at the 4 (Tatum and Jaylen just don't do enough big man things). I don't know if a combination of Fournier, Kemba, Smart, Rob, and our picks would be enough to deal for anyone special, although many contending teams don't really have many picks to trade going forward.

I really think Ainge is banking on Langford becoming a promising, potential all-star type player. Nesmith could develop too, but to get a good player, we need a pick or two to really pan out. I guess it helps for Ainge to have another swing at it this year. But to answer your question, we really need a lot of internal development before we can get to where we want to go, whether it's organic or via trade.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:34 am

Get all the players vaccinated.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,860

Post#4 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:45 am

Three words: Luke Francis Kornet.
CSL_1904
Veteran
And1: 3,479

Post#5 » by CSL_1904 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:03 am

You just don't know when the next superstar is gonna be on the market. Things change very quickly.

Right now it seems to me that a lot of the Celtic's future depends on Timelord's development. His upside is tremendous and he could either become our next star player or a very valuable piece in any trade talks for a superstar.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#6 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:26 am

Internal development.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#7 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:21 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Get all the players vaccinated.

Do the micro chips help with basketball skills development?

Anyways, our way to the top is onload Kemba, start Pritchard, Brown, Tatum, Bobby and a 4(via some type of a trade). Maybe if Danny believes Beal is our guy, go after Beal with Brown/3firsts. Get 1-2 solid vets for the bench, develop Langford(nobody still knows if he actually exists) and Nesmith.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#8 » by timpiker » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Problem is, I just don't see any 1 player out there that would put us up there. Let alone the likelihood of getting that player. I mean, how do you beat a healthy Davis/leBUM? What gets us to the top of the East? Then if we make the Finals, maybe leBUM is done in 5 years or injured. Is there such a player? Maybe we'll see that guy tonite as I don't watch them much.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#9 » by 31to6 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Internal development.

There will of course be trades/additions/departures, but I wonder how far we could get with this? My rosiest take = 'championship is posssssssibllee!' My worst take is that we can lose in the ECF every year for all eternity. To quote Danny "I like [these] guys":

Tatum = star (best case = Kobe making a shot, worst case = Kobe missing a shot)
Jaylen = star (best case = Pippen, worst case = BCGM)
Robert = above-average impact starter (best case = Rodman, worst-case = Birdman)
Smart = enigma with a hopefully improved fg% (best case = Draymond? Eric Snow? worst-case = Metta Worldpeace)
Kemba = above-average starter (best case = Tony Parker?, worst case = DNP-knee)
Fournier = Grade A bench sniper/spot starter (best case = Lou Williams/Vinny Johnson, worst case = testicular gangrene)
Pritchard = solid bench sparkplug (best case = van Vleet, worst case = Chris Herren)
Nesmith = solid bench shooter/energy guy? (best case = shorter Walter McCarty or Saddiq Bey, worst case = DNP-CD)
Langford = messiah (best case = Larry Bird, worst case = not real)
Wagner = that goofy white guy who danced on LAL (best and worst cases combined)

Thanks to our picks and sudden range of salaries, I do think we can be a player when a star shakes loose. But I do think it's not impossible that we could develop like the old fashioned 'Bad Boy' Pistons did -- from playoff team to title contender (not in terms of personality, this would be the 'Good Guy' Celtics:).
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#10 » by darrendaye » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:22 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Internal development.

Primarily, this is the key. There are no quick fixes. You don't lose 3 stars and get back 1 and get back on the same level overnight. If Ainge made mistakes on back to back #14 picks, you suffer the consequences. If not, it propels you ahead. But you have to see what you have.

Beyond that, Danny is going to have some tough decisions; he's going to need to make the right call.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#11 » by pac213up » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Developing Tatum and Brown so you can run the offense through them is the most important next step. Along with Fournier and Kemba you have a fairly dynamic scoring threat that teams should have trouble keeping up with if they are playing the right way and Brad focuses on pace. Rob is establishing himself as the C of the future. Need to add a couple of experienced vets for depth and hope one or two the younger kids (Nesmith, Prichard, Romeo) is NBA legit or move them for the veteran pieces you need. I would focus on quality depth instead of trying to add another "star" in most cases.
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,314

Post#12 » by sprash9802 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:37 pm

I don't see a way to a title with our current setup. We have a very passive GM who has made blunders in both FA and the draft, a coach who lives and dies by limited veterans and routinely gets out maneuvered deep in the playoffs, a flawed roster, lack of FTs and a consistent frontcourt.

We need someone as a GM who doesn't love his own draft picks like Danny does. Someone who isn't afraid of making a big move, or just moves, period. And we may need a coach who is not as passive and late to react like Brad. This org is very content as things stand. You can't win a championship being content.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#13 » by OldCeltics » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:29 pm

hahahahhah
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#14 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:41 pm

Just spitballing

1. We trade Kemba and find a nice complimentary ~3rd/4th piece in the process
2. We sign Robert to a team friendly deal and he breaks out as a young, hungry DeAndre Jordan type big
3. We trade Jaylen in a deal that nets us a true #1A scorer/playmaker. Who that is, I don't know, but someone in the elite-elite like a Lillard or a Curry. I could squint and say maybe Beal is that but not sure I believe that.
4. Tatum reverts back to last year's version where he isn't settling for midranges, attacks the rim more, and sits easier as the 2nd scorer thanks to item #3 above (get a true alpha)
5. We land one other piece on the wing, either via a smart signing or one of Langford/Nesmith/[2021 draft pick], help backfilling Jaylen
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#15 » by JHTruth » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:33 pm

sprash9802 wrote:I don't see a way to a title with our current setup. We have a very passive GM who has made blunders in both FA and the draft, a coach who lives and dies by limited veterans and routinely gets out maneuvered deep in the playoffs, a flawed roster, lack of FTs and a consistent frontcourt.

We need someone as a GM who doesn't love his own draft picks like Danny does. Someone who isn't afraid of making a big move, or just moves, period. And we may need a coach who is not as passive and late to react like Brad. This org is very content as things stand. You can't win a championship being content.

Meh A lot of times it's the moves you don't make. It's always easy to "do something" but for every AD or KG trade there are 50 Horford/Kemba signings that kill your franchise. Philly was just lucky OKC was dumb enough to take him on.

I think if we can keep Fournier we just need a Kemba upgrade to go all the way if Rob and the Jays continue on the current trajectory. We're kind of in a weird spot as we're pushing for the playoffs and our three best players are under 25. So have to have some patience. Maybe Beal is the guy if the price isn't too high. Not sure honestly.

Kemba must be dumped I think
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#16 » by ZeroTolerance » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:35 pm

I have been watching Luca Doncik quite a bit this year and I'm convinced he should be the target of any blockbuster trade....I'd trade Tatum to get him...He's that good!.... I wonder if Mark Cuban would bite at the chance to get "the next Kevin Durant'?... Back along before Dallas found themselves and began to win....I think getting Luca might have been easier... but now, I'm not sure that even Tatum would bring him here....To me, Tatum will be the man someday in another system, but I fear as long as there is someone else to lead this club, he is content to be the second fiddle...Thats NOT what the Celtics need!... Luca IMO is destined to be the MVP of this league....He's the guy for the future for any club.. including ours!
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#17 » by JHTruth » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:36 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:I have been watching Luca Doncik quite a bit this year and I'm convinced he should be the target of any blockbuster trade....I'd trade Tatum to get him...He's that good! I wonder in Mark Cuban would bite at the chance to get "the next Kevin Durant'?... back along before Dallas found themselves and began to win....I think getting Luca might have been easier... but now, I'm not sure at all that Tatum would bring him here....To me, Tatum will be the man someday in another system, but i fear as long as there is someone else to lead this club, he is content to be the second fiddle...Thats NOT what the Celtics need!... Luca IMO is destined to be the MVP of this league....He's the guy for the future of any club.. including ours!

Why didn't anyone think of acquiring the best young player in the League??!!
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by ZeroTolerance » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 pm

JHTruth wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:I have been watching Luca Doncik quite a bit this year and I'm convinced he should be the target of any blockbuster trade....I'd trade Tatum to get him...He's that good! I wonder in Mark Cuban would bite at the chance to get "the next Kevin Durant'?... back along before Dallas found themselves and began to win....I think getting Luca might have been easier... but now, I'm not sure at all that Tatum would bring him here....To me, Tatum will be the man someday in another system, but i fear as long as there is someone else to lead this club, he is content to be the second fiddle...Thats NOT what the Celtics need!... Luca IMO is destined to be the MVP of this league....He's the guy for the future of any club.. including ours!

I dunno....Everyone wants that established star....the guy who does the commercials...The "Name guy"...

Luca is the complete player...he does everything well and at his young age, he is not afraid of the limelight...

He gets as many assists or more than most point guards...and he's been scoring north of 30 per game on a regular basis....he rebounds...he defends...gosh he's good!
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#19 » by JHTruth » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:45 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

I dunno....Everyone wants that established star....the guy who does the commercials...The "Name guy"...

Luca is the complete player...he does everything well and at his young age, he is not afraid of the limelight...

He gets as many assists or more than most point guards...and he's been scoring north of 30 per game on a regular basis....he rebounds...he defends...gosh he's good!

I honestly think there isn't one player in the league Cuban would trade Luka for.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by ZeroTolerance » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:52 pm

JHTruth wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

I honestly think there isn't one player in the league Cuban would trade Luka for.

That could well be....awful to be so envious...but the guy acts Celtic like....I mean a young Larry Bird, Havelcek, even Cousy like... in that he can do it all....somehow he just belongs in Boston!

Return to Boston Celtics