Small Market Executives Complain Of Rise Of Buyout Market

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Small Market Executives Complain Of Rise Of Buyout Market 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:57 pm

Several small market executives spoke off the record to Howard Beck of Sports Illustrated about how they believe they are at a disadvantage due to the growth of the buyout market.

While former All-Stars such as Blake Griffin, Andre Drummond and LaMarcus Aldridge have joined big market teams, they were each on contracts deemed too expensive for any teams to trade for given their decline in play.

“You’re just helping the rich get richer,” a general manager with a small-market team said.

Bought-out players typically sign for a prorated portion of the minimum salary, allowing their new teams to add talent without regard for the salary cap.

“It’s a definite concern,” says another team executive working in a small market. “Without a doubt, players that are entering the buyout market will only be looking at contending teams. And most of the time, historically, their preference has been to go to the teams in the bigger markets. ... And it gives teams an opportunity to sit back and add players on minimum deals that they normally wouldn’t be able to acquire.”

Midseason buyouts used to be much rarer, but it has spiked over the past two years.

“It’s very, very hard for the small markets or mid markets to say we’re not gonna buy you out,” said one small-market GM, “because you can’t get players there anyway. If you don’t do them favors, an agent will say, ‘I’m not gonna bring my guys to you.’”

Some team executives have pushed the NBA for reform despite its already extensive system of rules that favor small markets.

“The way you know the NBA doesn’t think it’s a problem is they’re reticent to acknowledge it’s been a problem,” says one of the small-market execs. “The inaction tells you, ‘We’re cool with it.’ ”

Bobby Marks of ESPN writes that the Milwaukee Bucks are the team who has signed the most bought out players since 2015.

Via Howard Beck/Sports Illustrated

Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Re: Small Market Executives Complain Of Rise Of Buyout Market 

Post#2 » by Theo Ratliff » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:22 pm

Hard cap
Big market teams lose 1st round picks outside of the lottery if they sign a top free agent
Increase the vets minimum to 5 million

Problem solved.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#3 » by Rashidi » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:51 pm

Theo Ratliff wrote:Hard cap
Big market teams lose 1st round picks outside of the lottery if they sign a top free agent
Increase the vets minimum to 5 million

Problem solved.

"Problem solved". Lol.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,881

Post#4 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 pm

The fact that the Bucks have signed the most bought out players confirms that this is not a problem for small markets. It’s a problem for badly run organizations and the Raptors, since nobody wants to go there.

Solution: build a competitive team instead of tanking for picks.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#5 » by We Are Groot » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:59 pm

On the heels of the Lakers gettn Dre ofc ...

they shld jus say "Lakers" instead of "big market teams" - pretty obvious who these guys are cryin abt
scirocco53
Senior
And1: 164

Post#6 » by scirocco53 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:23 pm

This is an issue for not only the Raptors. This is an issue for any team who are looking for fair value for a player on an expiring contract. Currently, a team looking to their roster, can offer less for a player because they have an idea who they may sign from the buyout market. If anything, the player's prorated salary should count towards the tax a (prior to being bought out) should be tacked on to his new team.

In the current scenario, the teams at the top only get richer without having to fairly compensate a team buying out a player, or having to pay luxury tax because they are technically signing the player for the minimum. Really, the players are signing with teams that give offer the best chance of getting a ring, and also offer a chance to showcase their talent for a potential new deal in the offseason.
"Release the hounds"
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,188

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:47 pm

The purpose of small/less desirable market team is to make the big market team look good and win championships.
YourGM
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#8 » by YourGM » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23 pm

Then these small market teams should stop buying out players.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#9 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:30 pm

YourGM wrote:Then these small market teams should stop buying out players.

Tell me you haven't read the article without telling me you haven't read the article.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 510

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:21 pm

This is an obvious problem and it’s good to see some around the league speak up. It’s not going to change anything in the interim, but hopefully it is addressed before long.

What’s the answer? I’m not sure. Forfeiting picks is not an option outside of tampering, so please stop suggesting that. The idea of a hard cap has been floated in the past and didn’t happen, so that’s unlikely to be revisited.

Perhaps the best solution is the simplest- eliminate buyouts altogether.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
swenjj
Senior
And1: 25

Post#11 » by swenjj » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:41 pm

TheCage4 wrote:This is an obvious problem and it’s good to see some around the league speak up. It’s not going to change anything in the interim, but hopefully it is addressed before long.

What’s the answer? I’m not sure. Forfeiting picks is not an option outside of tampering, so please stop suggesting that. The idea of a hard cap has been floated in the past and didn’t happen, so that’s unlikely to be revisited.

Irritating to see players that opt in then want a buyout.. when Wade was in Chicago he wanted out,yet still opted in and still forced a buyout.. if these players don't want to stay then just leave .Drummond opted in to a huge contract, just play and be happy ,or just opt out and go somewhere else.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#12 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 pm

The article is clearly written in a pro Big Market way with the way it ends and how it says that the NBA is already unfairly positive for Small Market teams. Super biased and slanted article.

If the NBA was so unfair towards Big Market teams, how come they keep getting signings and players forcing trades to only Big Markets? LA x2, Brooklyn, Miami, all signed their best players while they were out of the playoffs or a 7-8 seed in their conference. That doesn't seem fair to me.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,897

Post#13 » by BigGargamel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:11 pm

swenjj wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:This is an obvious problem and it’s good to see some around the league speak up. It’s not going to change anything in the interim, but hopefully it is addressed before long.

Irritating to see players that opt in then want a buyout.. when Wade was in Chicago he wanted out,yet still opted in and still forced a buyout.. if these players don't want to stay then just leave .Drummond opted in to a huge contract, just play and be happy ,or just opt out and go somewhere else.

Uhh it’s the teams that shut these guys down and release them. The cavs told Drummond he was done. Same with the thunder and horford. Stop always blaming players for everything.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:24 pm

teams acquiring a cut player must forfeit a FRP.

simple fix. make them second guess doing this.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
YourGM
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#15 » by YourGM » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 am

_BALLDONTLIE wrote:
YourGM wrote:Then these small market teams should stop buying out players.

Tell me you haven't read the article without telling me you haven't read the article.

Small market teams are not signing top free agents anyway so it doesn’t really matter if an agent says I’m not going to bring my players to your team. If the small market teams build a solid roster through the draft and trades and start winning in a few years you will attract players regardless of how an agent feels. Put a player in a winning environment and see if he decides to leave in free agency or force a trade. He may, but it has backfired more times than not for the player as long you don’t trade them to a team that is already stacked without gutting the roster like Houston didn’t do with the Harden trade.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#16 » by Par36 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:02 am

br7knicks wrote:teams acquiring a cut player must forfeit a FRP.

simple fix. make them second guess doing this.

Change it to a second round pick and not a bad idea.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#17 » by kombayn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:20 am

I'm sick of these small-market teams complaining. You're just a bad executive. I don't see Sam Presti crying about this, David Griffin in New Orleans, or even Mitch Kupcheck. If you're a good executive, you'll figure it out. The Jazz, Blazers, Spurs, Grizzlies, and heck the Pacers can figure it out. What happens if it's Jazz vs. Suns and Bucks vs. Sixers in the conference finals. What's the complaint then?
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#18 » by 23artest23 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:38 am

kombayn wrote:I'm sick of these small-market teams complaining. You're just a bad executive. I don't see Sam Presti crying about this, David Griffin in New Orleans, or even Mitch Kupcheck. If you're a good executive, you'll figure it out. The Jazz, Blazers, Spurs, Grizzlies, and heck the Pacers can figure it out. What happens if it's Jazz vs. Suns and Bucks vs. Sixers in the conference finals. What's the complaint then?

For all you know, it could have been any of those guys doing the complaining here. Small markets still have a very real disadvantage to the larger markets despite the changes made to even the playing field. I don't know what the answer is but the problem is definitely real. Milwaukee is an outlier in all of this but I figure much of that is probably vets trying to ring chase.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#19 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 am

Did I read this right? Small market teams are complaining that small market teams are buying out players?
Don't **** do it then. You are the one either buying out your stars or shutting them down for the season so you can tank. Stop the tank and you won't have an incentive to pay anyone not to play.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 661

Post#20 » by jk31 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:58 am

donemilio21 wrote:Did I read this right? Small market teams are complaining that small market teams are buying out players?
Don't **** do it then. You are the one either buying out your stars or shutting them down for the season so you can tank. Stop the tank and you won't have an incentive to pay anyone not to play.

but than what this guy says happens: the agent of said Player that wants to get bought out will never let you sign any of his clients in the near future.

Return to Wiretap Discussion