Rafael Stone 'Not Second-Guessing' James Harden Trade 'For A Moment'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rafael Stone 'Not Second-Guessing' James Harden Trade 'For A Moment' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:55 am

The trade package the Houston Rockets received for James Harden has come under scrutiny since the trade deadline in which they received very little in return for Victor Oladipo. Rafael Stone, however, continues to believe in the trade package he selected. 

The Rockets received three first-round picks from the Nets, a first-round pick from the Bucks, and the option to switch draft position in four drafts in exchange for Harden. Houston also essentially chose to take on Oladipo instead of Caris LeVert. 

“Given the types (of draft picks) we got back like, it feels like you can’t possibly know how you did for multiple years, like five, something like that,” Stone said. “But I feel good about it. I would for sure 100 percent do that deal again. There’s literally no part of me regrets doing that deal. I am not second-guessing it for a moment.

“Being in a position to not have to be bad, there’s some other things we’ve done to help that, too, but it’s primarily that deal that’s allowed us to say, ‘Hey, we want to compete on a slightly quicker time frame.’ We’re not going to go down this path of trying to intentionally lose games for years on end.”

Stone also pushed back on the narrative that any of the deals was directed by Tilman Fertitta.

“No offense to my boss, he doesn’t really have (a role) in a deal like this,” Stone said. “I do my very best to be a constant contact with Tilman, telling him about the direction we’re trying to go in … and I want him to feel very, very comfortable about our processes. Tilman is a deal guy. He’s super valuable to me as a resource.

“In terms of actual players? No. He leaves that up to us.”

Stone also talked about Houston's pursuit of a title over the past several years has contributed to their current state.

“I’m completely unapologetic about that,” Stone said, “Organizationally, for the last five or six years, maybe the longer, we’ve been all in every year, and given the players we’ve had, the place that our roster has been, the team construct we had, I think we did the right thing.

“That’s how we find ourselves in the position where we are today. There’s consequences to that. We’re kind of living those consequences.”

Via Jonathan Feigen/Houston Chronicle

YoungMoney23
Starter
And1: 138

Re: Rafael Stone 'Not Second-Guessing' James Harden Trade 'For A Moment' 

Post#2 » by YoungMoney23 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:00 am

Well if those picks don't turn out, you'll be unemployed real quick
A Blog on the unsolved - http://coldcasefiles.wordpress.com/
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 am

YoungMoney23 wrote:Well if those picks don't turn out, you'll be unemployed real quick

And this statement doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in his foresight: "Given the types (of draft picks) we got back like, it feels like you can’t possibly know how you did for multiple years, like five, something like that"

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#4 » by Rashidi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:17 am

In related news, Vlade Divac isn't second-guessing the Bagley pick.
YoungMoney23
Starter

Post#5 » by YoungMoney23 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:39 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
YoungMoney23 wrote:Well if those picks don't turn out, you'll be unemployed real quick

And this statement doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in his foresight: "Given the types (of draft picks) we got back like, it feels like you can’t possibly know how you did for multiple years, like five, something like that"

None are going to be lottery picks with the talent Brooklyn has now unless all those guys decide to bounce but with all the talent now, the odds are probably the same as winning the lottery. So unless they have the most injury plagued season in league history - its probably going to be 10 years before the Rockets are competitive again. 5 minimum if we tank to get our picks back from OKC
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#6 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 am

Houston you messed up bad. Could of gotten Lavert and or Allen. Yikes.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#7 » by Openheimer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:04 am

What’s he supposed to say I fed up?
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#8 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:22 am

The initial haul wasn't even that impressive and then you gave away Oladipo and Allen for free on top of that.

The Harden deal was quite obviously terrible. And this guy doesn't have any draft pedigree. There's no reason to think he's a great drafter.
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#9 » by Theo Ratliff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:28 am

All because he wouldn't accept the fact that Harden wanted a trade. He probably could have traded Westbrook for a late first round pick and expiring contracts but instead wanted to bring talent back to convince Harden to stay. Now he's stuck with Wall's contract and a bunch of late first round picks. He better hope they win the lottery.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:43 am

The trade was very Isiah Thomasesque\Scott Laydenish
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#11 » by br7knicks » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:10 am

thebuzzardman wrote:The trade was very Isiah Thomasesque\Scott Laydenish

nah, isiah thomas would've then taken 2 of those FRPs they got and went after someone like aldridge or griffin before they got bought out.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:42 pm

Theo Ratliff wrote:All because he wouldn't accept the fact that Harden wanted a trade. He probably could have traded Westbrook for a late first round pick and expiring contracts but instead wanted to bring talent back to convince Harden to stay. Now he's stuck with Wall's contract and a bunch of late first round picks. He better hope they win the lottery.

He did accept the fact that Harden wanted a trade, and he got Brooklyn to send him a truckload in draft capital in the process.

What makes you think he didn’t accept Harden’s trade demand when he did trade him? Or do you think he missed out on a much better deal by not acting 4 weeks earlier? Brooklyn had nothing left to add.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#13 » by HotelVitale » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:43 pm

Yeah this is total word salad nonsense. “Being in a position to not have to be bad, there’s some other things we’ve done to help that, too, but it’s primarily that deal that’s allowed us to say, ‘Hey, we want to compete on a slightly quicker time frame.’ We’re not going to go down this path of trying to intentionally lose games for years on end.”

There's no logic to this being a 'quicker time frame' move--they didn't take the Ben Simmons + picks offer that would've given them a young star, they dumped the solid young players they did trade for (Jarret Allen and Levert) for nothing, and the 1st rounders that are coming soon are very weak (MIL and BKN this year, BKN 2023). This has to be one of the time anti-win now trades, it's clear that being bad for now was part of the strategy and they also didn't get anything in particular that helps them next year or the year after.

No reason not to be honest and say 'we need to tank this year to keep our pick so we're trying really hard to suck now, and then we'll take some blind stabs in the dark next year when we start rebuilding. And then those picks might be cool in 5 years.'
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,663

Post#14 » by nedleeds » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:22 pm

Giving up Allen for nothing seems silly. LaVert is a chucker and has multiple injuries and is an older player.

But the best thing they got back in the trade is losses. If they get a top 3 pick this year then the trade was fine.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#15 » by anatomicbomb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm

YoungMoney23 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

None are going to be lottery picks with the talent Brooklyn has now unless all those guys decide to bounce but with all the talent now, the odds are probably the same as winning the lottery. So unless they have the most injury plagued season in league history - its probably going to be 10 years before the Rockets are competitive again. 5 minimum if we tank to get our picks back from OKC

And this shot in the dark approach he seems to be employing really only works in a true lottery, so at least he's in his wheelhouse - the GM of random chance.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
YoungMoney23
Starter

Post#16 » by YoungMoney23 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:
YoungMoney23 wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

And this shot in the dark approach he seems to be employing really only works in a true lottery, so at least he's in his wheelhouse - the GM of random chance.

So he says evaluate him in 2030? Ok but I'll expect a dynasty if we are terrible for 9 years and have to wait that long to compete again

Return to Wiretap Discussion