ImageImageImageImageImage

Buy-Out Market: Do we need to improve the roster? Can we?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Kelphus
Senior
And1: 528

Re: Buy-Out Market: Do we need to improve the roster? Can we? 

Post#21 » by Kelphus » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:29 am

Austin Rivers is available {now ducking into bomb shelter before reactions on this board begin}
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,223

Post#22 » by Scoundreldays » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:40 am

Kelphus wrote:Austin Rivers is available {now ducking into bomb shelter before reactions on this board begin}

Didn't he sign with the Bucks?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#23 » by clipperlover » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:21 pm

Kelphus wrote:Austin Rivers is available {now ducking into bomb shelter before reactions on this board begin}

Silver Spoon is now exactly what he was in 2015: trade fodder and a pickup off the street. Had the Clippers picked him up that way to begin with, the sour taste wouldn't have been in our mouths. The only person that benefited from the Silver Spoon trade was Silver Spoon. He was overpaid his entire time with us and took opportunities from others.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#24 » by SK21209 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 pm

We really need a third big, Patterson just doesn't cut it. We can't be playing him in a playoff game if Serge has some minor nagging injury. Whiteside (if he's bought out) or Dedmon is the move.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#25 » by nickhx2 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:12 pm

really unfortunate that we weren't able to snag dieng, for that purpose
Kelphus
Senior

Post#26 » by Kelphus » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 pm

Somebody call Joakim Noah, tell him come back, we really do love him after all. It'll be different this off-season, we promise.

All kidding aside, I agree we could use some more size, a third big would be helpful.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#27 » by Clemenza » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:08 pm

A third big would be the ideal pick up. If Zu or Ibaka goes down I'd be awfully worried with Jokic, Drummond, AD, Gobert, etc. staring us in the face
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:59 pm

clipperlover wrote:

Silver Spoon is now exactly what he was in 2015: trade fodder and a pickup off the street. Had the Clippers picked him up that way to begin with, the sour taste wouldn't have been in our mouths. The only person that benefited from the Silver Spoon trade was Silver Spoon. He was overpaid his entire time with us and took opportunities from others.

Austin cost us nothing of value and didn't take minutes from anyone of value. Our bench was the pits and he gave us desperately needed minutes. He was resigned in that crazy summer of 2016 when every FA in the NBA got overpaid, and we had no choice because we were capped out. His last year here as a starter was adequate---15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting with 4 assists per game. We'd be happy if Kennard managed that.

I thought his time was up here when he was traded, and I don't want him back now, but he was not the problem with Lob City.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Kelphus
Senior

Post#29 » by Kelphus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:10 am

Lob City just didn't work. We were all so excited. Turned out to be sLob City by the end, particularly when Blake stopped going to the rim. If us schmoes know we need a big now, I am pretty confident the Logo knows it also.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,070

Post#30 » by og15 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 am

There hasn't been any point in time this season in which the management was unaware of the teams needs. I'll even say that most front offices know what their teams need. The problem is always filling that need, and doing it without creating another need.

I know people are getting excited for the possibility of Whiteside, but it will be interesting to see if he goes to a team where he'll get a smaller role if he is bought out.

Whiteside is a stats beast and an impact midget, especially on the defensive end, where all those rebounds and blocks from a surface level would make on think he's a good defender, then you watch him and you say hmm...

He's not that exciting, but he might be the only big man option, which simply makes him exciting by default.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 978

Post#31 » by clipperlover » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:58 am

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Austin cost us nothing of value and didn't take minutes from anyone of value. Our bench was the pits and he gave us desperately needed minutes. He was resigned in that crazy summer of 2016 when every FA in the NBA got overpaid, and we had no choice because we were capped out. His last year here as a starter was adequate---15 ppg on 42%/38% shooting with 4 assists per game. We'd be happy if Kennard managed that.

I thought his time was up here when he was traded, and I don't want him back now, but he was not the problem with Lob City.

Your recollection is off.

The Celtics were going to cut Spoon after that trade and he would have been available on a 10 day contract fro the minimum. Instead, the Clippers traded Reggie Bullock ($1.2M), Chris Douglas-Roberts ($915K) and a 2nd round pick for Spoon ($2.44M), so he cost us an extra $300K against the cap in 2014-2015. Bullock was scheduled to make $1.25M in 2015-2016. Spoon's contract was for $3.1M. So, another $2M that only benefited Spoon and not the Clippers.

Clippers traded for Lance Stephenson in 2015-2016, but rather than play his position of SG, he was forced to play out of position because of Silver Spoon.

In the 2016 off season, the Clippers foolishly gave Spoon an $8M per year raise because they had his Bird rights. Had the Clippers picked him up off waivers in 2015, he would have never even been eligible for that kind of money because there would have been no Bird Rights. That contract then forced the Clippers to re-sign Crawford for $8M per year more while Redick saw the writing on the wall because he was making $4M yr less than a bench scrub,

Reggie Bullock went on tho start 174 games with three different teams (including 38 of 46 games for the Knicks this year).

Outside of his rookie, lottery pick on a losing team 26 starts, Silver Spoon has started a total of 28 games in the NBA on teams where playing time wasn't handed to him by his father. Check out the son-in-law getting the start in all his games played this year. Guy has more starts this year than prior two seasons combined.

The Spoon trade hurt the Clippers financially and morale wise. It cost us plenty.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:41 am

clipperlover wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Your recollection is off.

The Celtics were going to cut Spoon after that trade and he would have been available on a 10 day contract fro the minimum. Instead, the Clippers traded Reggie Bullock ($1.2M), Chris Douglas-Roberts ($915K) and a 2nd round pick for Spoon ($2.44M), so he cost us an extra $300K against the cap in 2014-2015. Bullock was scheduled to make $1.25M in 2015-2016. Spoon's contract was for $3.1M. So, another $2M that only benefited Spoon and not the Clippers.

Clippers traded for Lance Stephenson in 2015-2016, but rather than play his position of SG, he was forced to play out of position because of Silver Spoon.

In the 2016 off season, the Clippers foolishly gave Spoon an $8M per year raise because they had his Bird rights. Had the Clippers picked him up off waivers in 2015, he would have never even been eligible for that kind of money because there would have been no Bird Rights. That contract then forced the Clippers to re-sign Crawford for $8M per year more while Redick saw the writing on the wall because he was making $4M yr less than a bench scrub,

Reggie Bullock went on tho start 174 games with three different teams (including 38 of 46 games for the Knicks this year).

Outside of his rookie, lottery pick on a losing team 26 starts, Silver Spoon has started a total of 28 games in the NBA on teams where playing time wasn't handed to him by his father. Check out the son-in-law getting the start in all his games played this year. Guy has more starts this year than prior two seasons combined.

The Spoon trade hurt the Clippers financially and morale wise. It cost us plenty.

Forget the "morale" crap. Even if true, it was the whiny littly bittches who are REALLY to blame for Lob City's failure who were "demoralized." DON'T EVEN.

As for the money, re-signing Jamal and Austin in the summer of 2016--asked and answered: EVERYBODY in the NBA got overpaid that summer and since the Clippers were capped out, you could either re-sign Jamal and Austin or you could fill their slots on the roster with **** MINIMUM WAGE players. No other options. Period.

Not my recollection: These are the facts. Just like pissing on Lou and Trezz [RIP] now, the fact about Jamal and Austin is that even if every criticism is true [mostly they are], we had no other options.

Reggie Bullock??? :rofl2:
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#33 » by TheNewEra » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:01 am

I would still look to bring some guys in even if we don’t use them. Get a good camp look and post season practice to work on things and maybe some partial guarantees for next year
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#34 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Austin cost us an entire miserable season where we had to watch Doc try to showcase him as the first option, even though he'll always be a garbage-time player at best on any decent team. And in the Lob City days, he cost us a roster spot that could have gone to an actually productive player, but was instead used by GM Doc to save his son's career at the expense of what was best for the team.

And no, there's always a choice. Nobody forced the Clippers to overpay him. The salary cap is never a valid excuse to throw too much money at bad players. Seeing as how he's been a net-negative player his entire career, letting him walk would have been addition by subtraction. At very least, it would have reduced the toxicity in the locker room, since we know his teammates resented the blatant nepotism with him and Doc.

Just look at Austin's career since leaving the Clippers. He's been a journeyman for a reason. He wasn't even good enough to stick with the dysfunctional tanking Wizards. Here's some perspective: it took only 29 games for the Wizards to give up on the Austin Rivers experiment. Jerome Robinson has played 36 games for them. That's how bad Austin is. The only difference now is that his dad isn't propping up his career anymore, so he's being evaluated objectively by his teams' front offices and coaching staffs.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#35 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Since Ty Lue is such good friends with KG, he should give him a call and tell him to get in shape. Even at age 44 he would probably be a better option than any big they could pick up off the waiver wire. He played great defense even in his final season. I am kind of joking, but I wonder if he has anything left in the tank for spot minutes against talented bigs.
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by SK21209 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Sounds like Marc Gasol is going to lose basically all playing time with the Drummond addition and AD coming back. If he gets waived, I'd love to have him as the third big.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#37 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 pm

SK21209 wrote:Sounds like Marc Gasol is going to lose basically all playing time with the Drummond addition and AD coming back. If he gets waived, I'd love to have him as the third big.

I would like him as well, but I doubt the Lakers waive him- they would probably like to keep him for insurance and to prevent him from helping other teams.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#38 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:25 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
SK21209 wrote:Sounds like Marc Gasol is going to lose basically all playing time with the Drummond addition and AD coming back. If he gets waived, I'd love to have him as the third big.

I would like him as well, but I doubt the Lakers waive him- they would probably like to keep him for insurance and to prevent him from helping other teams.

I read somewhere Ibaka resented being Gasol's backup last year, so this is probably a non-starter anyway.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-report-serge-ibaka-resigned-marc-gasol

"[Ibaka] understood that it might mean having to settle for a one-year deal as the club was doing everything in their power to avoid taking on commitments that would interfere with their cap space in 2021," Grange reported Wednesday. "But the Raptors’ first offer – about $12 million for the 2020-21 season – was below what he was expecting and while Toronto came up to $14 million, they were still trying to keep some powder dry to pursue Gasol. That didn’t go over well with Ibaka who, according to multiple sources, resented having to play behind the Spanish international and wasn’t going to sign on for a shared role again. Ibaka quickly pivoted to the Los Angeles Clippers and their two-year deal for $19 million."

I wonder what would have happened if we got Drummond. It would have put a lot of noses out of joint.
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by SK21209 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:59 am

esqtvd wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I read somewhere Ibaka resented being Gasol's backup last year, so this is probably a non-starter anyway.

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/toronto-raptors-report-serge-ibaka-resigned-marc-gasol

"[Ibaka] understood that it might mean having to settle for a one-year deal as the club was doing everything in their power to avoid taking on commitments that would interfere with their cap space in 2021," Grange reported Wednesday. "But the Raptors’ first offer – about $12 million for the 2020-21 season – was below what he was expecting and while Toronto came up to $14 million, they were still trying to keep some powder dry to pursue Gasol. That didn’t go over well with Ibaka who, according to multiple sources, resented having to play behind the Spanish international and wasn’t going to sign on for a shared role again. Ibaka quickly pivoted to the Los Angeles Clippers and their two-year deal for $19 million."

I wonder what would have happened if we got Drummond. It would have put a lot of noses out of joint.

Well that definitely throws some cold water on the “start Zu for the rest of the season” idea.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#40 » by Clemenza » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:52 pm

Looks like we're signing Boogie Cousins to a 10 day contract. I say sign him for the rest of the season. Ibaka worries me

Return to Los Angeles Clippers