Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Re: Disappointed at Doc Rivers for this 

Post#21 » by BullyKing » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm

Stanford wrote:
BullyKing wrote:I just don't think you can compare the worlds.

You're right, I've never had the kind of relationship with a boss that players have with coaches.

You never had a boss look at you like the way Brett looked at TJ?
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#22 » by Stanford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:36 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Stanford wrote:
BullyKing wrote:I just don't think you can compare the worlds.

You're right, I've never had the kind of relationship with a boss that players have with coaches.

Gag order. Can't discuss.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#23 » by Sixersftw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 pm

Stanford wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Stanford wrote:

Gag order. Can't discuss.

Are we not doing phrasing anymore?

This isn't anything to harp on but it isn't a good way to do business and these guys, yes even Poirier, shouldn't be dehumanized by their coworkers. Their salary has nothing to do with it.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#24 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:56 pm

I’m not sure how this is even debatable. It’s pretty **** for Doc to not even take 10 seconds to send a baseline “best of luck thanks for your hard work” text. Especially if he did reach out to the other players traded. It’s just common professional courtesy amongst literally every industry ever.

Disappointing from a man in his 60s who should know better.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#25 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm

The difference between all of us and Poirier is the lack of media attention when we leave jobs. Would it have been nice if they reached out to him? Sure. Should I or any of us know about whether he received a parting message from his bosses? Not really. Hundreds of these transactions happen every year and we don't hear a peep about it. Hardly something we should be "disappointed" about. I'm more disappointed they got waxed by the Nuggets last night.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#26 » by agiaco » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:00 pm

Y'all are reading too much into a story with only one side and little context. Playoffs should start sooner so we don't have to discuss stuff like this.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#27 » by LloydFree » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Dude got traded 3 times in the past 4 months as salary filler, and didn't play for any of the 4 teams that had him. He knew what his situation was, before the season started.

If he didn't want to feel bad about being treated as nothing but a "commodity", he should have retired and went back to Europe back in December. He wanted the money due to him, so this is the price. This is what comes with being salary filler. He needs to cut it out.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#28 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm

Why is it on Doc to build a rapport with the scrub bench guys, anyways?

Shouldn't be on Poirer to build some sort of rapport with Doc you know if he actually cares about his playtime and career rather then cashing a paycheck? Or does he suspect he'll magically move off the bench to the starter role like some sort of disney movie where it just happens. Five guys go down and they call on Poirer.

Doc has been a player. He's been a coach. He's been an executive. He's done all sides. It's just comical and beyond disrespectful for a nobody like Poirer to trash a lifer in the media.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Stanford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:50 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Why is it on Doc to build a rapport with the scrub bench guys, anyways?

Because a coach is supposed to be a leader and the adult in the room. Part of their job is to build rapport. He was with the team for months.

It's a text, dude. No one is saying he should have invited him over for thanksgiving dinner.

If he didn't want to feel bad about being treated as nothing but a "commodity", he should have retired and went back to Europe back in December.

Why is it so unreasonable for the coach of the team to make a single human gesture?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#30 » by HotelVitale » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Negrodamus wrote:The difference between all of us and Poirier is the lack of media attention when we leave jobs. Would it have been nice if they reached out to him? Sure. Should I or any of us know about whether he received a parting message from his bosses? Not really. Hundreds of these transactions happen every year and we don't hear a peep about it.

I don't think Poirier actually cares that much either, I used to live in France for a couple of years and my guess is that this is more about the setting of the comments than anything else. French folks talking in public, especially in interviews, like to present these sort of complex takes on everything, in which people express more passion and subtlety of character/emotions than they really need to. It's almost like people in the US would talk to a confidante or therapist--laying out nuances of emotions you're processing and trying to articulate why everything is complex for you as a human moving through the world. People still go about their days in the same way, it's not like they're constantly navel-gazing or anything, just a cultural thing where you're supposed to be able to articulate more detailed reactions to things when talking. It sounds weird but it's actually a pretty fun and interesting thing when you see it in action, and in some ways it's not that far from what we do here for basketball. Very normal to spend an hour or two splitting hairs over a very small difference in opinion or feeling--and to call that a fun night out.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Stanford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:04 pm

HotelVitale wrote:I don't think Poirier actually cares that much either

He certainly doesn't care about this as much as Lloyd and Bully do.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,661

Post#32 » by Negrodamus » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:12 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:The difference between all of us and Poirier is the lack of media attention when we leave jobs. Would it have been nice if they reached out to him? Sure. Should I or any of us know about whether he received a parting message from his bosses? Not really. Hundreds of these transactions happen every year and we don't hear a peep about it.

I don't think Poirier actually cares that much either, I used to live in France for a couple of years and my guess is that this is more about the setting of the comments than anything else. French folks talking in public, especially in interviews, like to present these sort of complex takes on everything, in which people express more passion and subtlety of character/emotions than they really need to. It's almost like people in the US would talk to a confidante or therapist--laying out nuances of emotions you're processing and trying to articulate why everything is complex for you as a human moving through the world. People still go about their days in the same way, it's not like they're constantly navel-gazing or anything, just a cultural thing where you're supposed to be able to articulate more detailed reactions to things when talking. It sounds weird but it's actually a pretty fun and interesting thing when you see it in action, and in some ways it's not that far from what we do here for basketball. Very normal to spend an hour or two splitting hairs over a very small difference in opinion or feeling--and to call that a fun night out.

Interesting context. I will say that while it makes sense, it's probably not great for future NBA employment. If you search "Doc Rivers" on Google, among the articles is this story. I'm sure other coaches/GMs aren't interested in this press for a guy who barely plays. Maybe he doesn't want to continue playing in the NBA.

Hope that's not the case for him and he can have a long and lucrative career, but it just seemed unnecessary.
jotachase
Freshman
And1: 96

Post#33 » by jotachase » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:13 pm

It's not great behavior but it's not surprising he didn't send a message to Poirier when he could barely send one to Austin his entire childhood
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#34 » by BullyKing » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:31 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Interesting context. I will say that while it makes sense, it's probably not great for future NBA employment. If you search "Doc Rivers" on Google, among the articles is this story. I'm sure other coaches/GMs aren't interested in this press for a guy who barely plays. Maybe he doesn't want to continue playing in the NBA.

Hope that's not the case for him and he can have a long and lucrative career, but it just seemed unnecessary.

Especially because this is now a pattern with him: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/11/12/vincent-poirier-clarifies-comments-says-he-doesnt-want-to-leave-celtics/

End of bench guys need to be no maintenance team players and he's just not remotely talented enough to be more than that.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#35 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:20 pm

This is petty.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Wilson
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Dnt hate
Sixth Man
And1: 899

Post#36 » by Dnt hate » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:40 pm

jotachase wrote:It's not great behavior but it's not surprising he didn't send a message to Poirier when he could barely send one to Austin his entire childhood

:lol:
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 404

Post#37 » by Zumramania » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:45 pm

I believe this is a mix of a few things, among others cognitive dissonance (basically an attempt to save his face) on his side and national pride on the side of the newspaper. Poirier was giving an interview for a national newspaper in France, if you click on the title they say "World Cup bronze medallist", so they portrayed him as a solid player who got wronged by the Sixers, should have gotten playing time but didn't and as the icing on the cake, Poirier says the coach didn't even send him a thank you message when he was traded. Even if this really happened, I believe we are missing some context as to how/why it happened.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#39 » by Sixersftw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:39 pm

I'd love to know what kind of reassurance the Pels gave JJ. Saying the Nets, Sixers or buyout seems like a silly expectation for year 15 JJ. However, if the Pels are dumb enough to make that kind of promise to JJ then it is a little f'd up send him to Dallas but the team has to do whats right for them.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#40 » by Skates » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 pm

This thread is almost as pointless and Vincent Poirer himself.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers