Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Disappointed at Doc Rivers for this 

Post#41 » by LloydFree » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:14 pm

Sixersftw wrote:

I'd love to know what kind of reassurance the Pels gave JJ. Saying the Nets, Sixers or buyout seems like a silly expectation for year 15 JJ. However, if the Pels are dumb enough to make that kind of promise to JJ then it is a little f'd up send him to Dallas but the team has to do whats right for them.

The Pels aren't obligated to keep a promise they made to a player, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary stress and burnt bridges for a lousy 2nd round pick they acquired. Like they need any more picks for Griffin to mess up.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#42 » by sixers hoops » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:22 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Doc doesn't speak french that's why he did not call.

And I think thanking him publicly would be a clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,016

Post#43 » by eyeatoma » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:25 pm

Stanford wrote:
BullyKing wrote:
Stanford wrote:
You're right, I've never had the kind of relationship with a boss that players have with coaches.

You never had a boss look at you like the way Brett looked at TJ?

Gag order. Can't discuss.

Bruh :rofl:
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,984

Post#44 » by Murray_17 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:26 pm

i'm amazed this thread reached 3 pages :p
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#45 » by eyeatoma » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 pm

In all honesty guys, I believe the same thing happened with Brett with Cov I believe. If it wasn't Cov it was another player. In an ideal work Doc would have sent a text. I don't think it makes him a lesser person though. I'm sure this happens with a lot of coaches. Would you rather have a coach who is too personal with their players like Brett? Where they're not held accountable at all? From the looks of it, Doc has done a good job with players knowing their role and being held accountable for it. Did Morey send something to Poirier? If not, why isn't he getting grilled about this? Fact is, this guy made more money doing nothing on this team, then 99% of other jobs he could have in the world. I'd be annoyed, but I'd also be grateful. If I ever want a shot about getting back in the NBA, I don't think this is the type of information I'd want leaking out, where I complain about someone not saying "bye". Now, if this is a trend that we notice with other players, or a bunch of people have different stories about Doc being a bad person then sure. But he's coached in the league for a long time. He's been one of the most popular coaches in the league, apart form the **** storm that was the Clippers at the end. The players he had issues with? Blake Griffin, and Chris Paul (which has now been mended).
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#46 » by eyeatoma » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm

jotachase wrote:It's not great behavior but it's not surprising he didn't send a message to Poirier when he could barely send one to Austin his entire childhood

LOL... We are really going into family issues of Doc and Austin Rivers? Gimme a break.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,984

Post#47 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:15 pm

Stanford wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:Why is it on Doc to build a rapport with the scrub bench guys, anyways?

Because a coach is supposed to be a leader and the adult in the room. Part of their job is to build rapport. He was with the team for months.

It's a text, dude. No one is saying he should have invited him over for thanksgiving dinner.

If he didn't want to feel bad about being treated as nothing but a "commodity", he should have retired and went back to Europe back in December.

Why is it so unreasonable for the coach of the team to make a single human gesture?

Neither one of us know what their relationship was if any. The coach is not obligated to disingenuously wish a player well on their way out the door.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,812

Post#48 » by Stanford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:40 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:The coach is not obligated to disingenuously wish a player well on their way out the door.

Of course he's not obligated to. It's still not unreasonable to expect some kind of gesture in this situation. Even for a petty whining trash scrub bench guy like whatever his name was.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#49 » by Kobblehead » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:33 am

Not a big deal or anything, but it would have been nice to send out a goodbye message of some sort (disingenuously or not). Everyone wants to feel respected and valued, afterall. A small gesture like a text message could go along way in making someone feel good.
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#50 » by Young22 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:19 am

I guess some people have no human decency and are proud of it. Wow
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#51 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:39 am

sixers hoops wrote:
mithrandir17 wrote:Doc doesn't speak french that's why he did not call.

And I think thanking him publicly would be a clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.

:lol: :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#52 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:40 am

Murray_17 wrote:i'm amazed this thread reached 3 pages :p

We’re taking a break and focusing on the lighter things in life before we get back to talking about Ben and his shooting
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#53 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:59 pm

Stanford wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:The coach is not obligated to disingenuously wish a player well on their way out the door.

Of course he's not obligated to. It's still not unreasonable to expect some kind of gesture in this situation. Even for a petty whining trash scrub bench guy like whatever his name was.

I don't put much weight in empty gestures and I have been in a similar situation with one of my bosses where we didn't get along and when I left there was no further communication.

Here is the thing if you are confident in yourself it shouldn't bother you and I never even thought about it all until this thread are you supposed to be mad that someone didn't write a disingenuous letter or text wishing me well? I would have respected him even less if he did. Like I don't know if that is what happened here but Poirier seems to have issues where ever he goes and Doc is well respected

I'll take Doc's side on this one unless it comes out he often treats players poorly. I mean he traded for George and coached him for a year after knowing what kind of person he is and after george went after him in the media once he joined the Sixers he really didn't say much. I don't know if I would/could have held back
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#54 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:01 pm

10 games played out of 45. Doc might not have known who Porier was.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#55 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:05 pm

chrbal wrote:10 games played out of 45. Doc might not have known who Porier was.

It's "Poirier" how can you not know? Respect the man!
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#56 » by Sixerscan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:24 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:The difference between all of us and Poirier is the lack of media attention when we leave jobs. Would it have been nice if they reached out to him? Sure. Should I or any of us know about whether he received a parting message from his bosses? Not really. Hundreds of these transactions happen every year and we don't hear a peep about it.

I don't think Poirier actually cares that much either, I used to live in France for a couple of years and my guess is that this is more about the setting of the comments than anything else. French folks talking in public, especially in interviews, like to present these sort of complex takes on everything, in which people express more passion and subtlety of character/emotions than they really need to. It's almost like people in the US would talk to a confidante or therapist--laying out nuances of emotions you're processing and trying to articulate why everything is complex for you as a human moving through the world. People still go about their days in the same way, it's not like they're constantly navel-gazing or anything, just a cultural thing where you're supposed to be able to articulate more detailed reactions to things when talking. It sounds weird but it's actually a pretty fun and interesting thing when you see it in action, and in some ways it's not that far from what we do here for basketball. Very normal to spend an hour or two splitting hairs over a very small difference in opinion or feeling--and to call that a fun night out.

Interesting perspective, thanks.

I assume a reporter will ask Doc about this at some point, will be interesting to hear his side.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,812

Post#57 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:29 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:I don't put much weight in empty gestures

Here is the thing if you are confident in yourself it shouldn't bother you and I never even thought about it all until this thread are you supposed to be mad that someone didn't write a disingenuous letter or text wishing me well?

Here's the thing: you seem to think a gesture is by default empty and disingenuous. What I'm calling reasonable is a small gesture of decency. You should have a think about why it is that you consider this to be disingenuous.

I'll take Doc's side on this one unless it comes out he often treats players poorly.

I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm certainly not defending Poirier's decision to make a story out of this. I'm pushing back on the idea that sending a text when someone gets traded is unreasonable and empty when it involves a trash scrub bench guy.

Sixerscan wrote:I assume a reporter will ask Doc about this at some point, will be interesting to hear his side.

Honestly, I hope they don't.
spikeslovechild
RealGM

Post#58 » by spikeslovechild » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:17 pm

Stanford wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:I don't put much weight in empty gestures

Here is the thing if you are confident in yourself it shouldn't bother you and I never even thought about it all until this thread are you supposed to be mad that someone didn't write a disingenuous letter or text wishing me well?

Here's the thing: you seem to think a gesture is by default empty and disingenuous. What I'm calling reasonable is a small gesture of decency. You should have a think about why it is that you consider this to be disingenuous.

I'll take Doc's side on this one unless it comes out he often treats players poorly.

I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm certainly not defending Poirier's decision to make a story out of this. I'm pushing back on the idea that sending a text when someone gets traded is unreasonable and empty when it involves a trash scrub bench guy.

Sixerscan wrote:I assume a reporter will ask Doc about this at some point, will be interesting to hear his side.

Honestly, I hope they don't.

And I am saying maybe there was a reason why Doc didn't send him a text wishing him well.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,704

Post#59 » by the_process » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm not. Everyone is in their feelings all the time nowadays. It explains what is happening all around us on a daily basis.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#60 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:39 pm

I'm amazed this foolishness was made into a thread at all.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down

Return to Philadelphia 76ers