J.J. Redick Voices Displeasure With Pelicans For Trade To Mavericks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

J.J. Redick Voices Displeasure With Pelicans For Trade To Mavericks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:39 pm

J.J. Redick spoke on his podcast about his displeasure with the New Orleans Pelicans for trading him to the Dallas Mavericks.

Holiday revealed he asked for a trade before the start of the season and that David Griffin promised to oblige him if the situation didn't work out during the season.

"Obviously, he did not honor his word," said Redick of Griffin.

"I don't think you're going to get honesty from that front office, objectively speaking," added Redick. "That's not an opinion, I just don't think you're gonna get that. I don't think what happened with me is necessarily an isolated incident. I think front offices around the league operate in their best interest. I get that. I understand that. Truthfully... I think I was a little naive thinking I was in Year 15 and I attempted to do things right throughout my career.

"But in terms of this front office, yeah, it's not something where I would expect certainly the agents who worked on this with me to ever trust that front office again."

Redick was "jarred" by the trade to the Mavericks as they weren't one of the teams discussed with him. Redick has no set timetable for reporting to the Mavericks. 

Via Andrew Lopez/ESPN

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Re: J.J. Redick Voices Displeasure With Pelicans For Trade To Mavericks 

Post#2 » by lonea » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:43 pm

Code: Select all

I think front offices around the league operate in their best interest.

LOL, cmon mannn
BeesKneesCs
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#3 » by BeesKneesCs » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:53 pm

Listen to the podcast and you'll understand why he is so frustrated.
5paceman
Pro Prospect
And1: 486

Post#4 » by 5paceman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

This is hilariously expected, he wanted to go to the Nets. I've been wondering whether he would show up/stay injured for the Mavs. What did Redick think the Nets even had left to trade? Pels sent him to a playoff team! he's been talking all year about these guys better bring me to the playoffs. Good riddance for the Pels players. Without him they have a roster of guys who still love the game and to compete.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:00 pm

I like JJ and he obviously has a pulpit to preach from with his podcast now, but this just seems like a whole bunch of ridiculousness.

You and Jrue both signed very rich contracts with the Pelicans, they don’t owe you anything and those signatures relinquish control on where you get to play basketball. If you wanted more control, sign 1 year contracts instead.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#6 » by Patsfan1081 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:28 pm

BeesKneesCs wrote:Listen to the podcast and you'll understand why he is so frustrated.

Is there a nba player out there without a podcast right now?
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm

This is laughable. It’s not like he got laid off and is collecting unemployment. Hell, he doesn’t even have to play a game for the Mavs and he still gets a full paycheck!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#8 » by MINDKCUF » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 pm

nba needs to step in and fine him for not reporting?
does he think he's james harden level where he can demand destination trades?

hey jj, your a backup.
get over yourself and join your new team and man up.
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,181

Post#9 » by Biff » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 pm

Seems like all NBA players these days are massive prima donnas with zero appreciation for how easy their life is compared to the average American. Some of these dudes need to face a little more economic adversity, maybe then they won't be so entitled.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#10 » by 720 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:54 pm

Does this guy realize he gets paid millions to be washed? Like damn dude.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Post#11 » by mastermixer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:19 pm

The funniest part is that he prefaced his whole explanation of the trade by saying: “ I didn’t want to release a statement on Twitter because there is not context with a few word statement that can be taken any way. I’m grateful to have this podcast where I can explain the context of everything.”

Lol so much for that, it all got reduced to a sound bite anyways.

The truth is every point you guys are making is correct.
-He took the biggest contract he could by playing in NO.
-Everyone is making sacrifices during Covid, most Americans making much bigger sacrifices than him.
- he could have given make money to make a buyout work, or refused to play this year and X out his contract.

But

According to JJ, Grif gave him his word that he would move him to a team that was the right fit for JJ. And Grif broke his word.

And to be clear, if you listen to the podcast, JJ wasn’t so much complaining like you guys are making it out to be. He was simply painting the picture of what it’s like to go through a trade and the behind the scenes aspect of it. Which is a very common question to him by his fans.

So try to give him a little credit for giving the fans some insight into what the players go through at the trade deadline and try not to pass so much judgment
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#12 » by the13thjoker » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:52 pm

Redick:
"I think that.."
"I think that.."
"I think that.."

Also Redick:
"it's not an opinion"
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#13 » by Theo Ratliff » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:31 pm

He's on his last legs anyways. Cash your checks and shut up. Winning a championship isn't going to change the legacy he doesn't have lol.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#14 » by tigerae » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:53 pm

Theo Ratliff wrote:He's on his last legs anyways. Cash your checks and shut up. Winning a championship isn't going to change the legacy he doesn't have lol.
It may not change his legacy, but it is the ultimate goal for any competitive athlete. Plus, be honest with those players, they are people and have families that they have to move whenever they get traded. Players talk and once the word is out, good luck getting any favors from other players or top free agents to come play for your team.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:56 pm

Front offices are going to do what is best for them.

Yes, they probably try to take the players wishes into consideration, because it gives them a better rep with the players and agents, and certainly FOs should be as transparent and honest as they reasonably can be. The mistake was making JJ any promises implicit or explicit, not in doing what was best for them and taking the best deal they could.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#16 » by TheCage4 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:38 am

Trevor Ariza is the most “traded” player in NBA history. I don’t think I’ve heard him once complain.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/trevor-ariza-now-the-most-traded-player-in-nba-history
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:42 am

TheCage4 wrote:Trevor Ariza is the most “traded” player in NBA history. I don’t think I’ve heard him once complain.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/trevor-ariza-now-the-most-traded-player-in-nba-history

It's hard to complain while you are constantly being overrated.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#18 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:21 am

The article doesn't make any sense to me. This is a common problem I endure on this site.

It says Redick asked for a trade and the front office promised to oblige if things weren't working out.

He was then traded.

That story makes perfect sense for both sides. Where is the problem?
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#19 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:54 am

Here’s the problem: JJ wanted the bag AND wanted things HIS way. That ain’t how good business is done. Kinda lame by the Pels, but fully in their right to do so...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#20 » by flow » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:16 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:The article doesn't make any sense to me. This is a common problem I endure on this site.

Right. My question is, who is Holiday? And why does his name appear in that sentence?

Return to Wiretap Discussion