ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Jermaine OBosh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,046

Re: 2020-21 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V1 

Post#1901 » by Jermaine OBosh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:48 pm

One of Wendel Carter Jr or Mo Bamba might be available at draft night, they are not going to sign both of them in 22-23 season.
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#1902 » by billy_hoyle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:11 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Clearly not. If you’re too sensitive to hear the facts then sorry but that team that you listed in your original post isn’t possible

Seriously why not? Explain

Luxury Tax = 132M

Contracts next year
KAT 31M
Dlo 30M
Fred 20M
OG 16M
Siakam 33M
Trent 16M (likely projection. Could be anything between 13-20M
Boucher 7M
Flynn 2M

That’s 20M over the luxury tax for 8 players...Would still need to fill out the roster with the bench. Need a minimum of 13 players so that’s looking at least at another 15-20M for 5 more guys and that’s if they’re all scrubs.

Literally not possible.

Luxury tax is NOT a hard cap.

It is literally POSSIBLE.

Thank you for the response that shows me that you don't
a. Know what literal means
b. Argue in good faith

Cap and tax are expected to jump by quite a bit over the next few years if you believe the chatter.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,587

Post#1903 » by Bruin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
Seriously why not? Explain

Luxury Tax = 132M

Contracts next year
KAT 31M
Dlo 30M
Fred 20M
OG 16M
Siakam 33M
Boucher 7M
Flynn 2M

That’s 20M over the luxury tax for 8 players...Would still need to fill out the roster with the bench. Need a minimum of 13 players so that’s looking at least at another 15-20M for 5 more guys and that’s if they’re all scrubs.

Literally not possible.

b. Argue in good faith

Cap and tax are expected to jump by quite a bit over the next few years if you believe the chatter.

In theory it is possible but no way MLSE would pay that big a tax for a team like that. Idk how you think a team anchored by KAT is a contender

We’d be paying a major tax to be a 2nd round exit
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#1904 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 pm

Jermaine OBosh wrote:One of Wendel Carter Jr or Mo Bamba might be available at draft night, they are not going to sign both of them in 22-23 season.

Either is better than what we have;
But I would happily take a flyer on WCJ (price dependent)
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#1905 » by billy_hoyle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:Luxury Tax = 132M

Contracts next year
KAT 31M
Dlo 30M
Fred 20M
OG 16M
Siakam 33M
Boucher 7M
Flynn 2M

Literally not possible.

b. Argue in good faith

In theory it is possible but no way MLSE would pay that big a tax for a team like that. Idk how you think a team anchored by KAT is a contender

True. It's unlikely.

I actually think that would be a potential contender, but I'm clearly higher on KAT then you. All-NBA 3rd teamer, 2x all-star, 40% from 3, 80% ft from the 5 spot.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1906 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:04 pm

https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/report-nets-plan-to-transition-away-from-deandre-jordan/?fbclid=IwAR0qg3932gJ_BjKbXfWiI0aoPEqv-b-cTE9fasOrtEjHqwFhel4vAdJVqN0

BK will be heavy into the tax. Maybe they use the tax payer MLE to Aldridge and the BAE for Griffin?

BK trades: Deandre Jordan and cash

Toronto trades: Aron Baynes (team option to be declined) option to swap

We help them financially and we get a 2 year MLE C that rebounds, blocks shots and is a lob-threat.
Bruin
RealGM

Post#1907 » by Bruin » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:06 pm

billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:

b. Argue in good faith

True. It's unlikely.

I actually think that would be a potential contender, but I'm clearly higher on KAT then you. All-NBA 3rd teamer, 2x all-star, 40% from 3, 80% ft from the 5 spot.

Don’t get me wrong, offensively he’s great. The problem with him is mostly on the defensive end and centers who don’t play defense just don’t cut it
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#1908 » by douggood » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Psubs wrote:https://ahnfiredigital.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/report-nets-plan-to-transition-away-from-deandre-jordan/?fbclid=IwAR0qg3932gJ_BjKbXfWiI0aoPEqv-b-cTE9fasOrtEjHqwFhel4vAdJVqN0

BK will be heavy into the tax. Maybe they use the tax payer MLE to Aldridge and the BAE for Griffin?

BK trades: Deandre Jordan and cash

Toronto trades: Aron Baynes (team option to be declined) option to swap

We help them financially and we get a 2 year MLE C that rebounds, blocks shots and is a lob-threat.

to be allowed to trade baynes you will need to pick up option. thus negating most of the financial benefits of such a trade for bkn.

only guaranteed portion of contracts are allowed to be used in trade(for salary matching purposes), this is a new rule that was put in a few years ago.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#1909 » by Saul Goodman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 pm

I wonder if we can make a savvy sign and trade like the Suns did with Steve Nash back in the day with Kyle Lowry and get a far away pick with potential. Teams that have no space to sign him outright and are title thirsty might be willing to pony up.

Clippers: Yeah seeing Kawhi Kyle and Ibaka together in LA would make me sad too, but we could squeeze them.

Clippers:

Zubac
Patrick Beverly
2028 1st top 5 protected (you can trade 1sts 7 years out I believe)

for

Kyle Lowry sign and trade

Lakers:

Kyle Lowry sign and trade (25 mill per)

for

KCP
Kyle Kuzma
2027 1st unprotected

MIami:

If Miami wants to keep Oladipo and get Lowry...

To Miami
Kyle Lowry sign and trade

for

Dragic
Iggy
Achiuwa

Philadelphia:

Kyle Lowry (sign and trade)

for

George Hill
Seth Curry
2025 1st

Point is... there are ways he doesn't have to walk away for nothing.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#1910 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 pm

My what will soon be very unpopular take on a Lowry S&T;

Why?

To make this work you need to burn essentially any cap space we may have in order to take on salary for next season from the team that wants him all for the privilege of a FRP years away or a prospect of varying quality.

The time to have done him a favour was the trade deadline, he gets to go and win somewhere, we are free of all non-prospect salary commitments by July 1st as all the rumoured names are now expired, new team gets his bird rights and can pay him whatever the heck he wants and off you go. For whatever reason, we didnt do that.

Blowing off the rest of this season to do a favour for the GROAT is fine;
But I am not overly motivated to S&T Lowry at the expense of any cap flexibility this summer and to watch the corpses of expiring contracts sit at the end of the bench or taking playing time away from guys who need playing time.

I wouldn't swap even a 1% chance at securing a guy like Richaun Holmes just so that we can be "good guys" and accommodate Lowry this summer;

If he wants to stay and its something the management team wants to do... fine but to take on some of the expiring junk and a middling asset we would likely need to take on just so he can get paid what he wants by another team is a non-starter for me.

Losing him for nothing will suck, but its where we are.

/Activate Flame Shield.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,476

Post#1911 » by Spida888 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:11 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:My what will soon be very unpopular take on a Lowry S&T;

Why?

To make this work you need to burn essentially any cap space we may have in order to take on salary for next season from the team that wants him all for the privilege of a FRP years away or a prospect of varying quality.

The time to have done him a favour was the trade deadline, he gets to go and win somewhere, we are free of all non-prospect salary commitments by July 1st as all the rumoured names are now expired, new team gets his bird rights and can pay him whatever the heck he wants and off you go. For whatever reason, we didnt do that.

But I am not overly motivated to S&T Lowry at the expense of any cap flexibility this summer and to watch the corpses of expiring contracts sit at the end of the bench or taking playing time away from guys who need playing time.

I wouldn't swap even a 1% chance at securing a guy like Richaun Holmes just so that we can "good guys" and accommodate Lowry this summer;

If he wants to stay and its something the management team wants to do... fine but to take on some of the expiring junk and a middling asset we would likely need to take on just so he can get paid what he wants by another team is a non-starter for me.

/Activate Flame Shield.

My guess would be that we will only do a S&T if it favours our team. Kyle would still want to go to that team, so our options are limited.

It's going to be an interesting scenario. If we let Kyle walk and miss out on any free agent signings, then we lose him for nothing, besides maybe punting cap space to the following year.

If we do a S&T and don't get at least an adequate C back, then I hope we sign someone like Theis to the MLE, chances are Holmes may get more than that.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,363

Post#1912 » by Saul Goodman » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:47 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:My what will soon be very unpopular take on a Lowry S&T;

Why?

I wouldn't swap even a 1% chance at securing a guy like Richaun Holmes just so that we can "good guys" and accommodate Lowry this summer;

/Activate Flame Shield.

Fair point but the cap space won't really do us much good this off season. I'd rather us walk away with some kind of 1st even if it has the same maturity date as a federal government bond lol.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#1913 » by pr0gr4m » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:25 am

We add Suggs and Holmes are we contenders next season?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,158

Post#1914 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 11:45 am

PrinceAli wrote:
billy_hoyle wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:In theory it is possible but no way MLSE would pay that big a tax for a team like that. Idk how you think a team anchored by KAT is a contender

True. It's unlikely.

Don’t get me wrong, offensively he’s great. The problem with him is mostly on the defensive end and centers who don’t play defense just don’t cut it

i rather work with and around Kat, than say... Baynes, regardless on how much you say Kat wouldn't make us a real contender. we would only be so lucky with a guy like Kat. its a good problem to have I would say.

Boucher would fit it nicely around Kat. OG, Siakam, FVV as well

That would cover most of the defensive inefficiency around Kat.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Carter_Kobe
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1915 » by Carter_Kobe » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:38 pm

How about Meyers Leonard as a signing for the remainder of the season? He can shoot the 3 and is a big body
RapsAndJays21
RealGM
And1: 16,319

Post#1916 » by RapsAndJays21 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:22 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:We add Suggs and Holmes are we contenders next season?

Contenders to make the playoffs? Of course. Contenders to beat any of the current Top 4 in the east? probably not.
Rep T Dot, till they bury me.
Bruin
RealGM

Post#1917 » by Bruin » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:07 pm

Carter_Kobe wrote:How about Meyers Leonard as a signing for the remainder of the season? He can shoot the 3 and is a big body

Not gonna happen. Meyers basically ended his NBA career. Another team might even give him a chance but it definitely won’t be the Raptors
Carter_Kobe
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#1918 » by Carter_Kobe » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:59 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
Carter_Kobe wrote:How about Meyers Leonard as a signing for the remainder of the season? He can shoot the 3 and is a big body

Not gonna happen. Meyers basically ended his NBA career. Another team might even give him a chance but it definitely won’t be the Raptors

I thought a public apology and some disciplinary action would get him back in the the league. He's serviceable at least. Can hit the 3. Better than what we have. But you are right. Raptors would never touch him
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,158

Post#1919 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:43 pm

pr0gr4m wrote:We add Suggs and Holmes are we contenders next season?

playoff contender for sure. The East all of a sudden got weak again.

it was a 2 year blip where the eastern conference was better than then west in recent memory
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#1920 » by douggood » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:09 pm

Carter_Kobe wrote:
PrinceAli wrote:

I thought a public apology and some disciplinary action would get him back in the the league. He's serviceable at least. Can hit the 3. Better than what we have. But you are right. Raptors would never touch him

he also has a shoulder injury and out for season anyways.

Return to Toronto Raptors